Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Four mid-January day rides in Central Oregon  (Read 2593 times)

kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Tuono, KTMs
GPS: Bend, OR USA
Miles Typed: 1544

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2009, 02:35:44 pm »

I'm going to lump together a handful of mini ride reports. These are four excursions that I've managed to sneak in during the great January weather that we've had here.

Ride #1: First up, trail riding with friends two weekends ago. We had two buddies, a wife, another friend, and his daughter. It was a nice easy-going single-track ride with clear skies and temps up near 60F. We all split off from a larger group and then met up again at the staging area afterwards, where the BBQs were firing up for some hot dogs and bench racing.

More pics here

Ride #2: This one was a little bit different. A friend works at the local Harley/Arctic Cat dealer and they also sell the 2moto snow-bike kits. He arranged for a demo day for us up at one of the sledding areas.  We got to play around pretty much to our heart's content on a 2moto-equiped Honda and Yamaha.

These things were very weird riding machines. You pretty much have to lean the bike over onto the edge of the front ski before it starts to feel like you have any control. And of course, you can't counter-steer to initiate lean. In the deep snow, you have to remember that you can't put your foot down or else you'll just topple over into the powder with the bike coming down on top of you. I was gripped the whole time I was on it, but started to get confident enough to seek out the powder in the trees.

A couple of friends looking for powder:

More photos here.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:39:04 pm by kurtw » Logged

Kurt's Smugmug
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:36:06 pm »

Ride #3: A beautiful winter day. In the sun, it felt like shorts-and-T-shirt weather. I couldn't resist a quick solo recon ride out of town on a favorite 2-track. It was a short ride after work on the big 640, but felt oh so good.

Self protrait

Looking back toward town

More here

Ride #4: Freezing fog was the prevailing theme in town this last weekend. After sitting around in a holding pattern on Saturday, waiting for it to lift, a few of us dared to go for a ride on Sunday. We repeated the route of Ride #3 then kept going down and through the Millican Valley. My thermometer was reading 29F when I left to meet up with the guys at the trailhead and the first few miles of 2-track were witnessed by sagebrush covered in spikey hoar frost. But the sky opened up to pure blue before long and we were stopping to strip off layers of clothing.

Frost covered sage

Back at the cistern

Hill climb

Back into the fog

The bank reader-board that I passed in town while headed home said 23F.

More here
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:56:44 pm by kurtw » Logged

Kurt's Smugmug
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM450SMR, CRF230F
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:13:15 pm »

Nice write up and some great pics Kurt.   Thumbsup

This one makes me jealous:

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.
Advertisement

sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:28:33 pm »

Nice pics, kurt.  Glad to see Central Orygun is suiting you so well.

I hiked up Horse Ridge today with Baxter; we got up to the top in 75 minutes and down in about the same.  Of course his hike was 5X the length of mine due to things that needed sniffing way over there and then way over here and then up ahead and then back thataway...   Cool  Great blue sky hike with your dog on a crisp day is one of life's joys.   Thumbsup

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:42:33 pm »

I hiked up Horse Ridge today with Baxter; we got up to the top in 75 minutes and down in about the same.  Of course his hike was 5X the length of mine due to things that needed sniffing way over there and then way over here and then up ahead and then back thataway...   Cool  Great blue sky hike with your dog on a crisp day is one of life's joys.   Thumbsup

I'll have to check out the hiking up there some time. Adding it to the list... Which trailhead?

Kurt's Smugmug
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 10:42:58 am »

You know where all the mtn bikers park off the old hwy about 1/4 east of the old hwy/20?  Keep heading E about 1/4 to 1/2 mile and there'll be one of those green BLM-looking three-railed metal gates.  They keep it chained but unlocked and it's posted No Motorized Access.    Mad2  (Used to drive in there to go plinking for more than 10 years, but that's another story.)

Walk in there on the gravel road, then when you come to a T turn right to go east and that road will quickly go to two track through the sage and curve south.  When you get to the mouth of the gully begin your climb.  From the gate where you park to the mouth of the gully is maybe a 10-minute walk.

The trail continues up the west side of the gully to the defile's head where it begins to arc to the east by a large isolated juniper.  I normally walk about five minutes to the east, the trail has a slight bend, and then I begin to bushwhack south to the top.

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal