Silver9r

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2003 Kawi ZX-9r
GPS: Marion, Iowa
Miles Typed: 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 02:25:52 pm »

I have an 03 9r as well.  Absolutely love it!  More power then I need though. heh
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 03 ZX-9
Miles Typed: 313

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 03:04:47 pm »

Me too on the Silver. Yeah plenty of power. Mine I got a year ago with 12k on it. Came with jet kit and Muzzy and 43 tooth rear. had to go back to stock 41 as front would not stay down. EEK! also highway riding was not so great. I added hugger, taller screen and more comfortable bars. A sporty-sport-tourer Thumbsup. If i could figure out how to post pics I would. Waiting for Spring Crazy

And all the roads we ride are winding, hope all the curves are'nt blinding
Advertisement

Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '06 Kawasaki Black Stallion
Miles Typed: 144

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:21:17 pm »

I have a '00 black stallion. I LOVE IT...and commute on it everyday (60 miles roundtrip). I think I've seen it all and done it all on a '9...I had a '98 previously. I didn't keep the rubber side down on that bike Wink Specs are:
HeliBars
Puig dub bub
Galfer braided
RAM GPS mount
Tmeisters
Ivan's jet kit
ripped off all the smog crap
High mount Hindle Ti.
Sargent seat w/sheep skin ass cheek warmer Wink
heated grips and vest wired in
Givi topcase

I ride that bike rain or shine in all weather...and it does just fine. The only time it's not happy is thick fog in < 45 degrees...it gets some carb freezing-like issues on small throttle opening, I can just crack it open and it's all good after that. Otherwise it's great in everything else Wink I do ALL of the service on it and run Rotella T-Synth in it...and every other bike and car I own.

~Drain Fade
Have a '98-'01 VFR, '98-'03 ZX9R or '06-'07 ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 12:29:41 pm »

Me too on the Silver. Yeah plenty of power. Mine I got a year ago with 12k on it. Came with jet kit and Muzzy and 43 tooth rear. had to go back to stock 41 as front would not stay down. EEK! also highway riding was not so great. I added hugger, taller screen and more comfortable bars. A sporty-sport-tourer Thumbsup. If i could figure out how to post pics I would. Waiting for Spring Crazy

Yeah mine came with the fender elimination already installed, with the underseat LED turn signals as well as LED front signals.  Has a painted hugger. Full titanium Muzzy exhaust with oval can.  Also in a box it came with the jet kit, 1 tooth smaller sprocket and chain, k&n, 4 deg ignition advance as well as a couple other things.  This spring I am going to install most of that minus probably the sprocket.  I can already get the front wheel to come up under power.  What handle bars do you have?  I have been thinking of getting some taller ones and probably a different wind screen too.
Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '06 Kawasaki Black Stallion
Miles Typed: 144

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 04:44:31 pm »

Yeah mine came with the fender elimination already installed, with the underseat LED turn signals as well as LED front signals.  Has a painted hugger. Full titanium Muzzy exhaust with oval can.  Also in a box it came with the jet kit, 1 tooth smaller sprocket and chain, k&n, 4 deg ignition advance as well as a couple other things.  This spring I am going to install most of that minus probably the sprocket.  I can already get the front wheel to come up under power.  What handle bars do you have?  I have been thinking of getting some taller ones and probably a different wind screen too.

A couple things based on my experience.

First, the absolute best jet kit for a ZX9R years 98-03 is the Ivan's...I've had an Ivan's on a '98 and my current '00. Other jet kits all I have heard are nightmares and they never run perfectly.

Second, unless that full muzzy is 4-2-1 just ebay it. Ivan himself told me that I needed a 4-2-1 which is either a stock header or a Akro full. I had a full muzzy ti on my '98 with the Ivan's kit in it before a full Akro and it didn't run well. Once I put the full akro on it  it pulled like a Clydesdale and has more power than I ever thought an 899cc bike even had. My '00 I run a highmount hindle ti on a stock header and it runs great....because...it's 4-2-1. Kawasaki has GREAT headers...so a stocker is just fine with a slipon if you wanna let 'er breath more and hear the purr.

Finally...as to bars I have HeliBars and they kick ass...go get a pair. I also have a Puig double bubble..great screen.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:46:10 pm by Drain Fade » Logged

~Drain Fade
Have a '98-'01 VFR, '98-'03 ZX9R or '06-'07 ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 06:41:27 pm »

I'd have to look and see if it's a 4-2-1.  It runs damn strong with it though so I probably wouldn't change it.  I do have the factory one somewhere though.  I have also heard that the Ivan's kit is better then the others.  So I will most likely be picking something like that up. As well as the Heli-Bars.  Hopefully this summer I will get everything on it minus the sproket.  I just don't need it to pop wheelies on command.
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 08:44:22 pm »

I have Heli bars also. Great bike and I can't see myself doing any thing to make it faster; maybe a ohlins or penske shock if I have the cash in the spring. What tires yall using. Mine came with Pilot Powers and laster 3500 miles then I put on Metzler z-6s. i can't tell the difference tho I hav'nt done trackdays.

wheelspeed

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '01 ZX9R
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 05:46:43 pm »

I'm still liking my '01.  

DrainFade- You're a little mixed up on the header issue.  Stock is a "4 into 1" header (4-1).  Akrapovic and one or two other full-systems are 4-1, but most are 4-2-1.  Ivan made his kit for the 4-1 header, so it's important to have that system.  Or, with a slip-on or bolt-on, you don't have to worry about it of course.

Enjoy!
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 05:55:24 pm »

ZX9R?

'98 and '99 are the bomb.   Thumbsup Thumbsup

Sweet integrated scoops in the fairing, love that big space between the tail section and the rear wheel.  Completely bad-ass.  Who woulda guessed you could tour on it?

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 06:07:11 pm »

This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics!

Three points where two lines meet
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 02:09:29 pm »

Here is my 03.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:11:05 pm by Silver9r » Logged
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 02:47:40 pm »

Now that's more like it.  

Three points where two lines meet
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2125

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 11:35:35 pm »

I've been lusting after an 02-03 because of the upgrades for a while now, but they are few and far between. The ones I have seen have been painted ungodly colors, chromed, swing arm extended, or just plain f-ed up from crashes. I'd love to find a completely stock example of the breed. In green or orange, please.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
Thor

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '02 ZX9
Miles Typed: 699

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 12:16:00 am »

I've been lusting after an 02-03 because of the upgrades for a while now, but they are few and far between. The ones I have seen have been painted ungodly colors, chromed, swing arm extended, or just plain f-ed up from crashes. I'd love to find a completely stock example of the breed. In green or orange, please.

It's not "orange", it's "Candy Sparkle Gold"!!!

I've taken off the stripes on mine, but I swear the stripes are clearcoated on the tank, so I haven't tried to take them off - just hide them with a bra.

Aftermarket headers are no better than the stock, so save your money.

Ivan's kit works for 95% of the bikes.  If you happen to be in the 5%, your screwed because Ivan gives you no options.  He'll do everything he can to help you, but if what he sends you doesn't work...

The progressive front fork springs that come with the bike are both too soft and too hard and make the bike difficult to get right.  If you weigh more than 170, you won't be able to get the sag right and have it not be too hard deep in the stroke.

My rear shock was done at 4,500 miles, but I kept using it until 20K.  The rebound lost all adjustability, but ended up just a bit too slow.  Highspeed compression was gone, but slow speed compression was O.K.

A tuned 9 can put out as much torque as any of the current stock liter bikes.

Don't put a jet kit in with the stock can.  The catalytic converter will get VERY hot.

Don't put on an ignition advancer with a stock can, it will ping at low RPMs.

Woodcraft rearsets really helped with my fit on the bike.  The stock pegs are horrible hollow rubber.  Some people have had good luck injecting silicone into them to make them firmer, or using Buell pegs or ZX7 pegs.

An aftermarket windscreen can make for great protection from the wind with no buffeting.

Alternator has enough output to power some farkles.

Brakes can be very on/off in their feel.  This is common for this model Brembo, but I would rather have too little lever travel than too much.

Handles well.  It will turn quick, but getting form one side to the other is nowhere near what a 600 will do.

Comfortable ergos.  Park next to a current liter bike and it will make them look like 3/4 models.

Wide, comfortable seat.

Engine is a little vibey.  Some people don't like that, but it seems most don't care.  I don't mind, but I wouldn't complain if it got a little smoother.  Valve checks and balancing can help, but it doesn't change it.

The petcock coupled with the freaky way you have to start it (clutch out, in neutral, or it won't start.)  If you are going downhill with little, steady, throttle, when it runs out of gas it can stall and by the time you get the petcock turned you have to stop to get it into neutral and get it started.

The gas tank is huge.  If you have a big gut, it's not a comfortable fit, but what sportbike is?

The carbs let you tune it to be nice and smooth with no jerkiness coming off a closed throttle.

More comfortable for a passenger than current bikes, but still a torture machine unless you are dating a narrow assed midget.

I like it and have no idea what I would get for a sportbike to replace it.

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 04:17:57 pm »

+111111111111 Thumbsup And there is really no bike to match it. Vfr too slow, FJR too big etc. trump daytona comes close. I really lucked into this bike and I love it. Bigsmile. and , at least here in NJ they are rare; ive seen the chromed one, the streetfighter one 9all crashed out) but in the year I've had bike, I have not seen a decent example. Not even a UGLY Green one Razz. just for me, the Silver is the only one I was after and would buy. IMO. And yes I run a RD and heated gear off it with no problems.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:24:31 pm by rasta » Logged

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 04:20:18 pm »

This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics!
i agree but how do i post pics??? Headscratch Crazy

Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 12:53:21 am »

clutch out, in neutral, or it won't start.

My 03 starts just fine in gear with the clutch in.  Also starts in neutral with it out.
Thor

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '02 ZX9
Miles Typed: 699

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 01:06:38 am »

My 03 starts just fine in gear with the clutch in.  Also starts in neutral with it out.

It's very easy for the switch to get gummed up and stop working.  When that happens you can start it any which way.

That is all fine and dandy, until that switch causes the kickstand safety switch to short out - they are on the same circuit.

I was coming back from Road American at night on a stretch of very dark highway when the engine killed and the lights went out.  It took me 3 hours, on the side of a well travelled highway, to figure it out and get it started.

I ended up bypassing the kickstand switch and spraying the clutch switch with WD-40.  I haven't heard of anyone else having a failure like this, but I thought it was a gift when the clutch switch stopped working.

It wasn't.
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 11:37:16 am »

I think I misunderstood ya.  I thought you were saying they were all that way(neutral only start).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal