Silver9r

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2003 Kawi ZX-9r
GPS: Marion, Iowa
Miles Typed: 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 02:25:52 pm »

I have an 03 9r as well.  Absolutely love it!  More power then I need though. heh
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 03 ZX-9
Miles Typed: 313

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 03:04:47 pm »

Me too on the Silver. Yeah plenty of power. Mine I got a year ago with 12k on it. Came with jet kit and Muzzy and 43 tooth rear. had to go back to stock 41 as front would not stay down. EEK! also highway riding was not so great. I added hugger, taller screen and more comfortable bars. A sporty-sport-tourer Thumbsup. If i could figure out how to post pics I would. Waiting for Spring Crazy

And all the roads we ride are winding, hope all the curves are'nt blinding
Advertisement

Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '06 Kawasaki Black Stallion
Miles Typed: 144

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:21:17 pm »

I have a '00 black stallion. I LOVE IT...and commute on it everyday (60 miles roundtrip). I think I've seen it all and done it all on a '9...I had a '98 previously. I didn't keep the rubber side down on that bike Wink Specs are:
HeliBars
Puig dub bub
Galfer braided
RAM GPS mount
Tmeisters
Ivan's jet kit
ripped off all the smog crap
High mount Hindle Ti.
Sargent seat w/sheep skin ass cheek warmer Wink
heated grips and vest wired in
Givi topcase

I ride that bike rain or shine in all weather...and it does just fine. The only time it's not happy is thick fog in < 45 degrees...it gets some carb freezing-like issues on small throttle opening, I can just crack it open and it's all good after that. Otherwise it's great in everything else Wink I do ALL of the service on it and run Rotella T-Synth in it...and every other bike and car I own.

~Drain Fade
Have a '98-'01 VFR, '98-'03 ZX9R or '06-'07 ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 12:29:41 pm »

Me too on the Silver. Yeah plenty of power. Mine I got a year ago with 12k on it. Came with jet kit and Muzzy and 43 tooth rear. had to go back to stock 41 as front would not stay down. EEK! also highway riding was not so great. I added hugger, taller screen and more comfortable bars. A sporty-sport-tourer Thumbsup. If i could figure out how to post pics I would. Waiting for Spring Crazy

Yeah mine came with the fender elimination already installed, with the underseat LED turn signals as well as LED front signals.  Has a painted hugger. Full titanium Muzzy exhaust with oval can.  Also in a box it came with the jet kit, 1 tooth smaller sprocket and chain, k&n, 4 deg ignition advance as well as a couple other things.  This spring I am going to install most of that minus probably the sprocket.  I can already get the front wheel to come up under power.  What handle bars do you have?  I have been thinking of getting some taller ones and probably a different wind screen too.
Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 04:44:31 pm »

Yeah mine came with the fender elimination already installed, with the underseat LED turn signals as well as LED front signals.  Has a painted hugger. Full titanium Muzzy exhaust with oval can.  Also in a box it came with the jet kit, 1 tooth smaller sprocket and chain, k&n, 4 deg ignition advance as well as a couple other things.  This spring I am going to install most of that minus probably the sprocket.  I can already get the front wheel to come up under power.  What handle bars do you have?  I have been thinking of getting some taller ones and probably a different wind screen too.

A couple things based on my experience.

First, the absolute best jet kit for a ZX9R years 98-03 is the Ivan's...I've had an Ivan's on a '98 and my current '00. Other jet kits all I have heard are nightmares and they never run perfectly.

Second, unless that full muzzy is 4-2-1 just ebay it. Ivan himself told me that I needed a 4-2-1 which is either a stock header or a Akro full. I had a full muzzy ti on my '98 with the Ivan's kit in it before a full Akro and it didn't run well. Once I put the full akro on it  it pulled like a Clydesdale and has more power than I ever thought an 899cc bike even had. My '00 I run a highmount hindle ti on a stock header and it runs great....because...it's 4-2-1. Kawasaki has GREAT headers...so a stocker is just fine with a slipon if you wanna let 'er breath more and hear the purr.

Finally...as to bars I have HeliBars and they kick ass...go get a pair. I also have a Puig double bubble..great screen.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:46:10 pm by Drain Fade » Logged

~Drain Fade
Have a '98-'01 VFR, '98-'03 ZX9R or '06-'07 ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 06:41:27 pm »

I'd have to look and see if it's a 4-2-1.  It runs damn strong with it though so I probably wouldn't change it.  I do have the factory one somewhere though.  I have also heard that the Ivan's kit is better then the others.  So I will most likely be picking something like that up. As well as the Heli-Bars.  Hopefully this summer I will get everything on it minus the sproket.  I just don't need it to pop wheelies on command.
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 08:44:22 pm »

I have Heli bars also. Great bike and I can't see myself doing any thing to make it faster; maybe a ohlins or penske shock if I have the cash in the spring. What tires yall using. Mine came with Pilot Powers and laster 3500 miles then I put on Metzler z-6s. i can't tell the difference tho I hav'nt done trackdays.

wheelspeed

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '01 ZX9R
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 05:46:43 pm »

I'm still liking my '01.  

DrainFade- You're a little mixed up on the header issue.  Stock is a "4 into 1" header (4-1).  Akrapovic and one or two other full-systems are 4-1, but most are 4-2-1.  Ivan made his kit for the 4-1 header, so it's important to have that system.  Or, with a slip-on or bolt-on, you don't have to worry about it of course.

Enjoy!
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 05:55:24 pm »

ZX9R?

'98 and '99 are the bomb.   Thumbsup Thumbsup

Sweet integrated scoops in the fairing, love that big space between the tail section and the rear wheel.  Completely bad-ass.  Who woulda guessed you could tour on it?

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 06:07:11 pm »

This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics!

Three points where two lines meet
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 02:09:29 pm »

Here is my 03.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:11:05 pm by Silver9r » Logged
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 02:47:40 pm »

Now that's more like it.  

Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2125

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 11:35:35 pm »

I've been lusting after an 02-03 because of the upgrades for a while now, but they are few and far between. The ones I have seen have been painted ungodly colors, chromed, swing arm extended, or just plain f-ed up from crashes. I'd love to find a completely stock example of the breed. In green or orange, please.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
Thor

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '02 ZX9
Miles Typed: 699

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 12:16:00 am »

I've been lusting after an 02-03 because of the upgrades for a while now, but they are few and far between. The ones I have seen have been painted ungodly colors, chromed, swing arm extended, or just plain f-ed up from crashes. I'd love to find a completely stock example of the breed. In green or orange, please.

It's not "orange", it's "Candy Sparkle Gold"!!!

I've taken off the stripes on mine, but I swear the stripes are clearcoated on the tank, so I haven't tried to take them off - just hide them with a bra.

Aftermarket headers are no better than the stock, so save your money.

Ivan's kit works for 95% of the bikes.  If you happen to be in the 5%, your screwed because Ivan gives you no options.  He'll do everything he can to help you, but if what he sends you doesn't work...

The progressive front fork springs that come with the bike are both too soft and too hard and make the bike difficult to get right.  If you weigh more than 170, you won't be able to get the sag right and have it not be too hard deep in the stroke.

My rear shock was done at 4,500 miles, but I kept using it until 20K.  The rebound lost all adjustability, but ended up just a bit too slow.  Highspeed compression was gone, but slow speed compression was O.K.

A tuned 9 can put out as much torque as any of the current stock liter bikes.

Don't put a jet kit in with the stock can.  The catalytic converter will get VERY hot.

Don't put on an ignition advancer with a stock can, it will ping at low RPMs.

Woodcraft rearsets really helped with my fit on the bike.  The stock pegs are horrible hollow rubber.  Some people have had good luck injecting silicone into them to make them firmer, or using Buell pegs or ZX7 pegs.

An aftermarket windscreen can make for great protection from the wind with no buffeting.

Alternator has enough output to power some farkles.

Brakes can be very on/off in their feel.  This is common for this model Brembo, but I would rather have too little lever travel than too much.

Handles well.  It will turn quick, but getting form one side to the other is nowhere near what a 600 will do.

Comfortable ergos.  Park next to a current liter bike and it will make them look like 3/4 models.

Wide, comfortable seat.

Engine is a little vibey.  Some people don't like that, but it seems most don't care.  I don't mind, but I wouldn't complain if it got a little smoother.  Valve checks and balancing can help, but it doesn't change it.

The petcock coupled with the freaky way you have to start it (clutch out, in neutral, or it won't start.)  If you are going downhill with little, steady, throttle, when it runs out of gas it can stall and by the time you get the petcock turned you have to stop to get it into neutral and get it started.

The gas tank is huge.  If you have a big gut, it's not a comfortable fit, but what sportbike is?

The carbs let you tune it to be nice and smooth with no jerkiness coming off a closed throttle.

More comfortable for a passenger than current bikes, but still a torture machine unless you are dating a narrow assed midget.

I like it and have no idea what I would get for a sportbike to replace it.

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 04:17:57 pm »

+111111111111 Thumbsup And there is really no bike to match it. Vfr too slow, FJR too big etc. trump daytona comes close. I really lucked into this bike and I love it. Bigsmile. and , at least here in NJ they are rare; ive seen the chromed one, the streetfighter one 9all crashed out) but in the year I've had bike, I have not seen a decent example. Not even a UGLY Green one Razz. just for me, the Silver is the only one I was after and would buy. IMO. And yes I run a RD and heated gear off it with no problems.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:24:31 pm by rasta » Logged

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 04:20:18 pm »

This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics!
i agree but how do i post pics??? Headscratch Crazy

Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 12:53:21 am »

clutch out, in neutral, or it won't start.

My 03 starts just fine in gear with the clutch in.  Also starts in neutral with it out.
Thor

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 01:06:38 am »

My 03 starts just fine in gear with the clutch in.  Also starts in neutral with it out.

It's very easy for the switch to get gummed up and stop working.  When that happens you can start it any which way.

That is all fine and dandy, until that switch causes the kickstand safety switch to short out - they are on the same circuit.

I was coming back from Road American at night on a stretch of very dark highway when the engine killed and the lights went out.  It took me 3 hours, on the side of a well travelled highway, to figure it out and get it started.

I ended up bypassing the kickstand switch and spraying the clutch switch with WD-40.  I haven't heard of anyone else having a failure like this, but I thought it was a gift when the clutch switch stopped working.

It wasn't.
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 11:37:16 am »

I think I misunderstood ya.  I thought you were saying they were all that way(neutral only start).
bizarro

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 11:56:01 am »

i agree but how do i post pics??? Headscratch Crazy

Either as an attachment (click the additional options button at the bottom of the post window) or click the little photo button above the smileys and copy your image url if it's posted on the net (right click, properties, copy, if you're using a pc, or right click copy image address if you're using a mac and a two-button mouse) and past the url between the tags.  Thumbsup
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 12:11:30 pm »

Thank you-will try again.

Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 02:30:27 pm »

Got a question since we have a dedicated 9r thread here.  How many of you have soft luggage of some sort?  I want to get some for some road trips I have planned and wanted to know what works best on our bikes.
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 09:49:46 pm »

i have a basic tailbag or maybe rear seat bag is more accurate. I've never done more than 450mi in a day which is also my longest trip ever. It holds enuf for that and probably a overnighter. BTW, thats my bike Razz. well with a closer look, I have carbon hugger and carbon Muzzy and stock fro nt turn lamps; rear is chopped and uses brake lites as turn signals also. and no more ninja on back or reflectors. Yeah, lets keep the zx-9 thread alive Thumbsup

Thor

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 08:26:26 am »

I currently use a Ventura Pak system, and for longer trips, I use the underseat tie downs to stap two Helen Two Wheels bags to the passenger seat and secure them to the Ventura Pak Rack.

It works well, but I would like to add some saddle bags.  When you get alot of weight on the back, it becomes difficult to keep the front wheel on the ground.  I think some saddle bags will help by getting the weight lower and a bit more forward.

I use a tank bag when I have to, but I don't like them on this bike.  My arm goes across the tank in turns, and with a tank bag that doesn't work.
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 09:31:21 am »

I had originally thought about a seat bag and a tank bag.  I had never thought about arm position until you just brought that up.  I may need to put something on there about the same size and see if it is in the way.  I think I will probably get at least a rear bag.  If I could find a decent deal on some saddle bags to go with I probably would do that too.  

and no more ninja on back or reflectors.

I have been thinking about removing the Ninja stickers too.  Just kinda gives it the boy racer image.  And that is not what my bike is used for.
Joey Stalin

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 01:48:05 pm »

This thread needs more pictures!

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 06:37:42 pm »

I had originally thought about a seat bag and a tank bag.  I had never thought about arm position until you just brought that up.  I may need to put something on there about the same size and see if it is in the way.  I think I will probably get at least a rear bag.  If I could find a decent deal on some saddle bags to go with I probably would do that too.  

I have been thinking about removing the Ninja stickers too.  Just kinda gives it the boy racer image.  And that is not what my bike is used for.
My feeling exactly. If I were 20 or so I'm sure i would love the image but not now. Even tho I sometimes ride like a 20yr old Razz. Used hair dryer and a lot of patience. And a little WD-40. heres me bike, not the best size but i'm working on it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 07:06:46 pm by rasta » Logged

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 10:00:30 pm »

Hope this one is better.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 01:07:39 am by rasta » Logged

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 03:02:14 pm »

Yo! i posted the pics and now no love?

lemosley01

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZX-9R
Miles Typed: 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 12:25:24 am »

My first post here.

I have an 03 - bone stock. Have a front sprocket (down 1 tooth) and a set of Heli-bars to put on, plus I changed the grips. Other than that, stock.

Thor, can you define 'some farkles'. I'm looking at getting a heated jacket liner, possibly the warmnsafe 100 watt model, and some gloves. Any idea if it can handle that?

Other than that, I love the bike. I would be nice if it weighed a little less, but less weight can also mean less comfort when travelling.
Thor

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 12:42:22 am »

My first post here.

I have an 03 - bone stock. Have a front sprocket (down 1 tooth) and a set of Heli-bars to put on, plus I changed the grips. Other than that, stock.

Thor, can you define 'some farkles'. I'm looking at getting a heated jacket liner, possibly the warmnsafe 100 watt model, and some gloves. Any idea if it can handle that?

Other than that, I love the bike. I would be nice if it weighed a little less, but less weight can also mean less comfort when travelling.

Actually, the 9 is only 476 wet - that's light, but it does feel heavy, but only during quick transitions from one side to the other.  The center of gravity is WAY TOO HIGH, the reach is a little long, and the bar angle is too severe.

I run a Gerbing heated jacket and gloves.  I did the math, and your just fine with the gear.  I would recommend trying to run above 5-6K with it running.  My battery died a little earlier than expected.

Watch your clearance after you install your Helibars.  They don't seem to fit quite right.  I've heard they have fixed that.  I added rearsets and that was all I needed to get the ergos where I liked them.  The stock foot pegs are the biggest liabilty on the bike as far as I am concerned.

I added a double bubble windscreen and it made a big difference.  You might like that with the Helibars.
lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 01:18:37 am »

Thanks for the info - what is the output on the alternator?

Also, regarding the rearsets, I take it you moved them up/back some?
Thor

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 02:00:30 am »

Thanks for the info - what is the output on the alternator?

Also, regarding the rearsets, I take it you moved them up/back some?

33A 14V at 5,000 RPM = 462 watts.  Reality, 33A at 11.6V + = 382.80 watts.  

I went with the Woodcraft rearsets because the are extremely solid, relatively inexpensive, and I really like the pegs - very beefy and solid (they will eat through a set of tennis shoes in no time.)  If you go with Woodcraft, you will need a rear pressure switch for the brake light - no big deal.

Back is more important than up.  The tank is so huge that I like to have some room to move.  

It is also a long reach to the outside stock pegs while in a turn (30", measured, inseam.)  So, maybe "up" helped a bit.  Rearsets can be hard on your knees if you aren't in good physical condition.
lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 09:17:48 am »

THanks for the info on the alternator - I didn't realize it was that that powerful.  Is the 14V claimed by Kawi, but it is really putting out 11.6V @5K? I am usually cruising right around 5K

How well does your Gerbing gear do at sub-freezing with those power levels?

For whomever it was that posted in the thread earlier about soft-sided luggage, I have a set of Nelson-Rigg saddlebags that I use - they are the big ones that expand open  - IIRC, the dimensions are something like 18 inches long, 11 inches wide (expanded) and 10 inches deep. If you don't strap them up high, the left side can touch the muffler, causing the hard plastic in the bottom to slight bubble/warp. I know this from experience. Bigsmile.  You can pack a goodly amount of stuff in these.

I believe an aftermarket can will give more clearance because it is smaller in diameter (maybe shorter as well?).

FWIW it's worth, I didn't notice the weight of the bike too much at the track day I did at Mid-Ohio last year. The caveat is I'm nowhere near a good enough rider to really get to the point where I can transition so quickly that the bike is holding me back. It is nice and stable in the corners, and I didn't feel like I had a problem tipping it over to get it where it needs to go. Again, I'm not at the point where I can just slam the bike over, but I was amazed at how much the bike has to give and not complain. I scrubbed the rear tire completely out to the edge, and the front within about 1/8th of an inch. This is on the stock tires, no less.

Track day taught me a lot - if I get into a hairy situation, I know the motorcycle has more than enough to get me through it.
Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 08:53:07 pm »

Here's a pic of my latest baby...

BTW...I post all the mods and crap I've done to both 9's I've had on my homepage http://drainfade.com
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:04:56 pm by Drain Fade » Logged

~Drain Fade
birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4851

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 09:55:11 pm »

I've always loved this bike.   If I didn't need the room for 2-up, I'd have one right now.  They hit a near perfect balance between sport and comfort.  Sort of like my XX,  but different.

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
MK96xj
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is What its all about?

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Asheville NC
Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ducati MTS 620

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 10:19:18 pm »

Rasta,

What windscreen is that you have? How is the flow with it? I have been looking for a taller one and this looks like it would fit the bill.

Mike

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2007, 11:04:25 pm »

Ah, finally some action Thumbsup. As to the screen its a Z-G sport touring model. Check the website, more info there. Yes it helps on normal riding somewhat, but at high speed it really is great to duck down behind and have NO windblast. i got the clear so radar detector could see better Lol. I also use full Gerb jacket and detector and have had no problems electrically. Yeah, i really lu cked into a great bike; fast as hell. almost 200miles on a tank, decent comfort for my 6'2'. wish they still made em.

lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 11:36:32 pm »

200 miles to the tank? WTF? I only get about 160 or so, although I've never actually run it out of gas to find out.
Thor

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2007, 01:33:46 am »

THanks for the info on the alternator - I didn't realize it was that that powerful.  Is the 14V claimed by Kawi, but it is really putting out 11.6V @5K? I am usually cruising right around 5K

How well does your Gerbing gear do at sub-freezing with those power levels?

For whomever it was that posted in the thread earlier about soft-sided luggage, I have a set of Nelson-Rigg saddlebags that I use - they are the big ones that expand open  - IIRC, the dimensions are something like 18 inches long, 11 inches wide (expanded) and 10 inches deep. If you don't strap them up high, the left side can touch the muffler, causing the hard plastic in the bottom to slight bubble/warp. I know this from experience. Bigsmile.  You can pack a goodly amount of stuff in these.

I believe an aftermarket can will give more clearance because it is smaller in diameter (maybe shorter as well?).

FWIW it's worth, I didn't notice the weight of the bike too much at the track day I did at Mid-Ohio last year. The caveat is I'm nowhere near a good enough rider to really get to the point where I can transition so quickly that the bike is holding me back. It is nice and stable in the corners, and I didn't feel like I had a problem tipping it over to get it where it needs to go. Again, I'm not at the point where I can just slam the bike over, but I was amazed at how much the bike has to give and not complain. I scrubbed the rear tire completely out to the edge, and the front within about 1/8th of an inch. This is on the stock tires, no less.

Track day taught me a lot - if I get into a hairy situation, I know the motorcycle has more than enough to get me through it.

The alternator can power my jacket and gloves just fine.  When it gets to about 20F my biceps get cold.  I guess that is a problem, but that is without a liner in my jacket and only a thin shirt on underneath.
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 02:36:11 pm »

200 miles to the tank? WTF? I only get about 160 or so, although I've never actually run it out of gas to find out.
Well, I've never run reserve out but I get about 160 on 4 gallons so i ASSume 200. Thumbsup

MK96xj
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is What its all about?

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Asheville NC
Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ducati MTS 620

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 07:30:08 pm »

ZG Sport touring is what i have been looking at but from the puctures in teh web site i really could not tell much difference between the ST and the DBubble as far as height. Nice to see it in another pic. I think an order is needed.

Thanks.

Eric Landstrom

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

I tried a zero gravity double-bubble on my '01 9R and I didn't like it. The db blocks much of the wind that helps hold my torso up and that releaves pressure on my wrists and hands.
Joey Stalin

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2007, 09:41:52 am »

This thread needs more pictures of ZX-9R's. For the sake of the thread, these are from Motorcyclist Online,

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2007, 10:38:57 am »

Thanks, Uncle Joe. More pics are needed, especially of the rarest of all colors, the gold/black. BTW, there is a road test that goes with those pics.

lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2007, 12:48:24 am »

That gold black is nice...! I really like the metallic green that went on them a few years ago.
Alex

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZX9R E1; Yamaha FZS600
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2007, 12:32:58 pm »

Hi from the UK.
Here's a pic of my Firecracker Red 2000 E1 '9.
sscully

Reputation 463

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: 1994 Honda GL1500
GPS: Under the flightpath of ORD 22R
Miles Typed: 296

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2007, 06:18:32 am »

'99 9R in Candy Lightning Blue.

Zero Gravity Double bubble installed.
Pyramid Rear hugger & "pass seat" cover replacement

Have a set of Gilles chain adjusters and Paddock stand adapters to install, as well as a set of GenMar bar risers ( could not find any Helibars, they were all gone @ Helibar ).

One of the first things I did when I got it was to remove all the decals on the body work.  Also not my thing.

Great bike.  Still can't figure out why the wankers in PB thrash it so bad.  The last article was about used sport bikes, and they put it up against liter bikes, and just trashed is unmercifully.  Sod the lot of them ! Twofinger

"Behind you they're a threat, in front they're entertainment" --Yellow Wolf
Joey Stalin

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2007, 08:44:52 am »

Thanks, Uncle Joe. More pics are needed, especially of the rarest of all colors, the gold/black. BTW, there is a road test that goes with those pics.

I watched as a nearly pristine 03 Gold/Black sold on ebay yesterday for $5100. If it wasn't so far from me, I might've picked it up. I want to test ride this bike first, though.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2007, 01:41:46 pm »

Nice blue '9 Sscully Thumbsup. Sod is right, I saw that same article. I hope most people stay ignorant of the bike as maybe i can get another
one Thumbsup Razz      and Joey, that is a good price for a 03, but prices are low in general for '9s which was good when i got mine last year and since i won't ever sell it does'nt bother me.

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2007, 01:47:57 pm »

kgrant

Hi from the UK.
Here's a pic of my Firecracker Red 2000 E1 '9.

And Hi back at ya! :thumbsup:i spend a lot of time on a UK forum, kgrantco.uk.com, I think it is and a great forum it is. I've got a pic on there somewhere. Great resource for how-to etc. Nice looking bike, love those red wheels. I don't know if we got that color here in US, but i see so few zx-9s not sure. i go to some M/C meets but never any 9s. Also am a bike shop lurker and have seen one in a dealer and one truely ugly and multi crashed streetfighter on the road. In 2+ years of looking. Headscratch
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:53:18 pm by rasta » Logged

sscully

Reputation 463

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2007, 12:10:01 am »

Nice blue '9 Sscully Thumbsup. Sod is right, I saw that same article. I hope most people stay ignorant of the bike as maybe i can get another one Thumbsup Razz      and Joey, that is a good price for a 03, but prices are low in general for '9s which was good when i got mine last year and since i won't ever sell it does'nt bother me.

Thanks !!

What did PB call us, "a militant bunch of apologist".  

The used market might be in short supply, due to 9R owners knowing how good the bike is, and never part with them ( aside from the bunch that wraps them around a tree, doing something in error ).  
Not the case of they only sold 4 of them, that is for sure.  
When the 10R came out, I went to look at one, and did not see it in the show room, the sale rep pointed out I was standing next to it !.
It was the same color as the 6R next to it, so I thought that there were 2 6Rs side by side in the same color.
3/4 scale is about the most accurate description of liter sportbikes these days !  Total rubbish you ask me.

I think the line of huge battleship ( 14R ) or 1/2 step up from a pocket bike ( 10R and down ) is about the state of bikes for the short term.  When did smaller become better is all I want to know.

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2007, 02:22:14 pm »

Thanks !!

What did PB call us, "a militant bunch of apologist".  

The used market might be in short supply, due to 9R owners knowing how good the bike is, and never part with them ( aside from the bunch that wraps them around a tree, doing something in error ).  
Not the case of they only sold 4 of them, that is for sure.  
When the 10R came out, I went to look at one, and did not see it in the show room, the sale rep pointed out I was standing next to it !.
It was the same color as the 6R next to it, so I thought that there were 2 6Rs side by side in the same color.
3/4 scale is about the most accurate description of liter sportbikes these days !  Total rubbish you ask me.

I think the line of huge battleship ( 14R ) or 1/2 step up from a pocket bike ( 10R and down ) is about the state of bikes for the short term.  When did smaller become better is all I want to know.

right you are about 'mini bikes"; too fucking small Thumbsdown.Take away the 9 and I don't know what I'd ride. At 6'2", I'm not exactly a giant, most bikes I don't fit on. One of my dream bikes if I hit the lottery Lol is a MV Brutale 910R and at a not too far away dealer I found sized for 5'6" and under-not even close. so i hope I can stay with the 9. If something happened to this one I'd buy another. I have seen on a few sites people looking to buy. I wonder how many were made. Worldwide and USA only? About the ZX14, if people want them, go for it but not for me.

sscully

Reputation 463

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2007, 09:57:24 am »

.....  I wonder how many were made. Worldwide and USA only? About the ZX14, if people want them, go for it but not for me.

Took a quick google ( was not expecting much ) and did not find any production numbers right away.  Would be interesting to see how many were made up to the end.
The 14R is nice for a Sport Tourer, but after I saw Vicki Bulter-Henderson accidentally patch the beast off the line, it would take 100% focus to ride it.
Speaking of PB & 14R, notice that Dale from PB used a 14R for the cannonball ?  They MF Kawks all day long, then for a competition use one.  douche bags !

lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2007, 07:29:40 pm »

Took a quick google ( was not expecting much ) and did not find any production numbers right away.  Would be interesting to see how many were made up to the end.
The 14R is nice for a Sport Tourer, but after I saw Vicki Bulter-Henderson accidentally patch the beast off the line, it would take 100% focus to ride it.
Speaking of PB & 14R, notice that Dale from PB used a 14R for the cannonball ?  They MF Kawks all day long, then for a competition use one.  douche bags !

Can someone translate this into English?  Bigsmile
sscully

Reputation 463

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2007, 12:07:17 am »

Can someone translate this into English?  Bigsmile

Sorry I take the phrase in question is the bold part.
PB = Performance Bikes Mag ( UK Mag ).
Dale Lamas ( PB writer / tester ) participated in the Euro Cannonball run ( that part I figure you got  )
MF = Mother [email protected] ( again figure you might have gotten that ).
Kawk = Slang for Kawasaki might also see Kawi

PB seems to be very Yam centric ( I think they hump their R1's at night ), but for the cannonball run, they used a ZX-14R ( in Euro terms, ZZR14 ), not their beloved R1 ( even the Phase I R1 from the Bol'dor .
Sorry about that lemosley01, I have a tenancy to think faster then I type / type in slang too much.
I could see the problem, Peanut Butter & 14R, eating a sandwich on the bike, where is the jelly ?
kawk, did he hit a duck on his bike, while eating a peanut butter sandwich, and again, where is the jelly..WTF was he thinking going without jelly, that is like riding without a lid...
Don't laugh, you will just encourage me.  Lol

lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2007, 01:15:20 am »

LOL. You Englanders always make me laugh.

Unless they have done some comfort mods to the R1, I would take the 14 too.

Yammies don't do much for me - don't know why, they just don't
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2007, 03:01:34 pm »

'99 9R in Candy Lightning Blue.

Zero Gravity Double bubble installed.
Pyramid Rear hugger & "pass seat" cover replacement

Have a set of Gilles chain adjusters and Paddock stand adapters to install, as well as a set of GenMar bar risers ( could not find any Helibars, they were all gone @ Helibar ).

One of the first things I did when I got it was to remove all the decals on the body work.  Also not my thing.

Great bike.  Still can't figure out why the wankers in PB thrash it so bad.  The last article was about used sport bikes, and they put it up against liter bikes, and just trashed is unmercifully.  Sod the lot of them ! Twofinger

I like that seat cowl with the little butt pad on it.  Where did you get that?  I need to find one of those for my 03.
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2007, 05:09:28 pm »

I like that seat cowl with the little butt pad on it.  Where did you get that?  I need to find one of those for my 03.
   Me too!

sscully

Reputation 463

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2007, 03:06:40 am »

The Brand is Pyramid Plastics.

I seem to recall I got it from David Cork's place :
www.streetfightersbydesign.com

Not 100% sure about that, but any place that carries Pyramid Seat cowls would be able to get them.

I ordered it color matched to the Kawk color name, and it is really close to factory color.  Same for the hugger, that is also Pyramid Plastics as well, ordered in Candy lightning Blue.

sideswipe

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: DL1000
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2007, 03:27:43 pm »

If youre in NYC, I have one for sale!  Wink

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 03:59:57 pm by sideswipe » Logged
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2007, 05:06:10 pm »

If youre in NYC, I have one for sale!  Wink

PM the dude. May not check site for awhile.

Thor

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2007, 10:51:15 am »

Anyone know of an undertail that doesn't take up all the underseat storage on an '03?

That is the one thing that has kept me from getting one.  Unless I can find something really interesting to put on the whale tale of a rear fender, I'd really like to get one before they stop making them.
sscully

Reputation 463

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2007, 04:40:23 pm »

My 9R had a Stainless Steel Fender Eliminator kit on it when I bough it ( got it used ) and I still have a good part of the rear area left after the PO installed it.

It kind of looks like this :
http://www.competitionwerkes.com/Catalog/kawasaki_zx9_915159.htm

The 2 parts join to make the license plate bracket, and it uses the factory turn signals.

Here is another one that looks similar ( about 2/3 rds down, or search eliminator )  :
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/front_fenders_steel_plastic/streetfenders.htm

Mind you, this is a rear fender eliminator , not an undertail, so part of the factory black rear fender part is still under the bike.

I took a look at it, and cannot find a part number of mfgr name on it straight away.

I stil have enough room in the boot for jumper cables, factory tool kit ( in the stock location ), additional tools ( ratchets, sockets, open end box end combos ) small first aid kit, and my quick stand ( uses the spool stand on the side opposite side stand to pick the rear tire off the ground ), leatherman, and superknife.

If I get a chance, when I am preping it, I take a closer look to see if there is a name on it.

Mighty Kentor

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '05 DL1000
GPS: Mission, BC
Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2007, 05:12:13 pm »

I've owned two. The '00 was my favourite sporty touring bike, just marginally uncomfortable compared to my old VFR's.  I think  few mods could have alleviated that. Unfortunately it was stolen and severely crashed by the theif.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/MightyKentor/95ZX-9R.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/MightyKentor/Napacloseup1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/MightyKentor/Hotairballon21.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/MightyKentor/Mt.jpg

There are a lot of judgemental people in the world, and I think all those people are worthless dirtballs.
Mighty Kentor

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '05 DL1000
GPS: Mission, BC
Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2007, 05:14:12 pm »

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/MightyKentor/MeFreezingonFoggyCoastFortBragCA.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/MightyKentor/NapaValley.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/MightyKentor/stolen2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/MightyKentor/Stolensadface.jpg
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 05:18:22 pm by Mighty Kentor » Logged

There are a lot of judgemental people in the world, and I think all those people are worthless dirtballs.
mountainmotor

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: Fast one's
Miles Typed: 72

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2007, 08:53:26 am »

Great bikes that can be ridden long distance - way good cruise range as well .

I bought a new old stock Candy Gold 2002 in May , 2005 . One of the best bikes I have ever owned .

Did I mention they are ridable for long distance ?  Lol
mountainmotor

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2007, 09:00:52 am »

The last two photos were taken last week ...... It's going to be forsale and extras include Heli-Bars and the Ventura Rack/Pack system .

She's grown to 998'cc though . Still have the original engine and carbs + all electrics from the 1600 mile 2003 donor bike - enough parts to keep her going a couple hundred thousand miles  Smile

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_0347.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_1901.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_1893.jpg
mountainmotor

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2007, 09:19:32 am »

Someone was wanting more pics... here ya go  Bigsmile

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_0224.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_0247.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_1900.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_1895.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_0625.jpg

My Son owned a nice 2000 model . Quite a few factory upgrades was performed to the 2002-2003 . Braced swingarm and more .

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/bikeprep.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/bikeprep2stand.jpg

He moved on to a new GSXR but that don't mean the ZX-9R is needs be in the Smithsonian . They still get the job done very well and I just love the 190 miles to reserve cruise range of the little guys along with the reliability and ease to maintain .

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_1934.jpg
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:49:03 am by mountainmotor » Logged
mountainmotor

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2007, 09:44:30 am »

Not through yet !  Razz

The cams in these guys have alot of overlap . The actual lobe parameters are made for long life though and man alive do they sound sweet at idle .

Let's listen to Goldie in first gear as she goes through a tourist town for a few seconds .  Smile

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_0633.jpg
lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2007, 10:24:27 am »

I kept expecting you to whack the throttle on the bike and send the nose skyward.

I love the gold color, and your bike is nice - especially all the work.
mountainmotor

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2007, 04:56:34 pm »

Thanks . The machinest makes or breaks these 998 kits . I chose MTC pistons over the Muzzy JE's and MTC did the boring and supplied the pistons , Millenium recoated the bores . I file fitted the rings and cleaned the ports up a little while it was apart for inspection . Does not have very many miles on either engine . Right at 7100 on the bike .

I had the piston domes shaved down from 13.5 to keep compression usable with pump gas . It's at 12.8 compression and runs on 91 octane fine . It's really not much faster than stock but has a good bit more low end grunt . Runs cool and hot starts are never a problem . It just has a slip-on and is really fairly quiet . It's stock geared and could easily go one larger on the countershaft sprocket .

I wish I could keep it

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2007, 03:54:12 pm »

Not through yet !  Razz

The cams in these guys have alot of overlap . The actual lobe parameters are made for long life though and man alive do they sound sweet at idle .

Let's listen to Goldie in first gear as she goes through a tourist town for a few seconds .  Smile

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mountainmotor/ZX-9R/100_0633.jpg
Nice bike and town. Odly enuf sounds just like mine! Mine has Muzzy can. whaddya got?

miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2007, 08:36:31 pm »

Not through yet !  Razz

Two questions:  What town is that, and what is that other noise in the video?  

Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2007, 06:19:33 pm »

Anyone know of an undertail that doesn't take up all the underseat storage on an '03?

That is the one thing that has kept me from getting one.  Unless I can find something really interesting to put on the whale tale of a rear fender, I'd really like to get one before they stop making them.

Here is the one I have on mine.  I am still trying to find out what brand it is though.  Have plenty of room under the rear seat.

sideswipe

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: DL1000
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2007, 06:26:47 pm »

Thats the Hotbodies undertail. I know because I have the same one on mine.  Thumbsup
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2007, 04:03:03 pm »

what are led's for? My stock rear lites are also turn signals.

Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2007, 04:14:33 pm »

I need to take more pics of mine...but it's really hard to find it clean  Lol
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 04:16:28 pm by Drain Fade » Logged

~Drain Fade
mountainmotor

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2007, 04:25:13 pm »

Silver9r ,

Did you ever buy trip luggage ?

I am going to sell my Ventura Rack system if your still interested .

Heli-Bars as well .
mountainmotor

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2007, 04:28:39 pm »

Nice bike and town. Odly enuf sounds just like mine! Mine has Muzzy can. whaddya got?

M4 slip-on . I like it because it's not too loud and well built .

miles ,

That noise is the camera strap flapping . I was holding it in my left hand .
sscully

Reputation 463

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2007, 11:39:15 pm »

Silver9r ,

Heli-Bars as well .

Sent you a message about your Helibars

timatwood

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ducati multistrada
Miles Typed: 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2007, 03:05:46 pm »

I have the original zx9RC, '98, red, number 512 IIRC. Its in good shape, 52k miles, all original plastic. Helibars, lowered pegs, custom seat, Factory jet kit, stock engine and pipe, undercut transmission. Used to have a Nonfango tail trunk, but that got transferred to my multistrada.

You guys complaining about the 9r being top heavy should try a B model sometime. I had a '94 before the '98. Heavy bastard, but smooth as silk.

The 9r is for sale if anyone is looking, PM me. I'd love it if a real 9r fan bought it. I haven't been actively listing it yet.
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2007, 05:46:21 pm »

I have the original zx9RC, '98, red, number 512 IIRC. Its in good shape, 52k miles, all original plastic. Helibars, lowered pegs, custom seat, Factory jet kit, stock engine and pipe, undercut transmission. Used to have a Nonfango tail trunk, but that got transferred to my multistrada.

You guys complaining about the 9r being top heavy should try a B model sometime. I had a '94 before the '98. Heavy bastard, but smooth as silk.

The 9r is for sale if anyone is looking, PM me. I'd love it if a real 9r fan bought it. I haven't been actively listing it yet.
Not looking to buy but i wonder how the shock lasted or what it was replaced with-at 18k that will be my next big buy.

timatwood

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2007, 03:08:50 pm »

I replaced the original shock at maybe 35k miles with a used oem that I had recharged. The forks are goldvalved, but never bothered to upgrade the rear suspension.
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2007, 11:13:14 pm »

Silver9r ,

Heli-Bars as well .

No I sure haven't yet!  Hit me up about them when you are ready.  I don't know if you still have my email addy or not but shoot me a PM if you need it.

Thanks!
Silver9r

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2007, 11:14:10 pm »

what are led's for? My stock rear lites are also turn signals.

They are my turn signals.  My tail lights are seperate on mine.  
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2007, 06:38:58 pm »

anyone done any footpeg changes, not rearsets but a busa guy i ride with sugested the buell footpeg as they are lower and give more leg room which i woul'nt mind.??  

mountainmotor

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2007, 12:23:43 pm »

Many just took two aluminum plates , one for each side and drilled four holes in them. Two are attached to the original peg assembly location on the frame and the other two for mounting the assemblies onto the plate an inch or so lower than the original position .

I have deleted the photos I had but I think 1tail.com has a similar pair of plates available to raise the pegs for the Suzuki SV's that would give a better idea of what I'm talking about . Flip them over to lower the pegs on those bikes .
windsorgreen1

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: kawi conk
GPS: NE Pennsylvania
Miles Typed: 587

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2007, 08:28:48 am »

Wish I had one  Sad
johnwesley

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: klr650 zx9r
GPS: Mena, Ar
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2007, 11:22:27 pm »

i have an 02 model with elka rear shock and aftershocks front fork revale and sring. I have osf rearset and heli bars, heated grips. Micron full system. I love the bike  Inlove

http://www.cmausa.org/!UserFiles/fastlane%202007%20rally.pdf
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2007, 10:52:01 pm »

i have an 02 model with elka rear shock and aftershocks front fork revale and sring. I have osf rearset and heli bars, heated grips. Micron full system. I love the bike  Inlove
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2007, 04:59:06 pm »

I'll post up to put us back on the map. Still loving the 9 and just did spark plug replacement. was a ballbuster like most things first time but bike runs better now. One thing I notice while having bike somewhat apart is the build quality is very good. All parts i run across are built to last! Not for light weight but fot strength. Thumbsup love the 9 Inlove

sscully

Reputation 463

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2007, 06:53:12 pm »

Rasta,

Thanks for bringing this to the top.  I have to ask on the topic of peg lowering, have not had much luck in finding something.

1. Buell footpegs
I have not had much luck with this online.  I have found all sort of Rear Set replacements ( Woodcraft, etc ) but not the pegs themselves. Does anyone know which model Buell pegs I should be looking at ?
- Also, does the brake and shift bolt right to them, or is this from the pivot / spring area ?
- The threads talk about the rear brake lever being too high, no adjustment like the ZX-12Rs have.
- Bit of drilling and grinding to get them installed, not 100% plug and play.
http://www.zx-12r.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=469401&highlight=#469401

2. The lowering kits like 1tail.com has from Titebike.
These seems to be a bit different in the mounting.  Either that or the plate has the relief for the frame cut on the back side ??
http://www.1tail.com/sa/cart/detail.asp?pg=%7BF92B8264-E9D2-413B-BB18-232C75D98F68%7D

3. DIY Steel Plate ( from ZX-12R.org )
This was someone used a 1/4" plate steel, and cut the contour for the frame on the plate, then drilled ( tapped ) the plate in the lower position.
http://www.zx-12r.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=381308&sid=54126af50a581738208197d381aa229d

4. Gilles Rear Sets
All up & back relocation, no down to the 9R sets

5. Lockhart Phillips Super Pole V360 pegs
- Could not find these for the 9R of any vintage & question on the use of the stock brake & shift levers.

6. Using a set of Murphs Peg relocation brackets
http://murpskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=143&osCsid=7931a7221e7f287b3a5b496e7275622e
These are made for the ZG.  I know the 9R peg fits into the peg bracket on the 9R ( did this trying to get a bit more room for large feet some time ago ).
I do not know how plug and play these would be, and what adjustments to the brake / shifter are needed.

7. Fitting of a set of Corbin Peg lowers for the ZX-14
http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kzx14pegkit.shtml
Would have the same concerns as the Titebike peg relocation brackets ???

With not much time to make a set of lowering brackets right now, Old man scully is going to take a flyer and try Murphs lowers to see what would need to be done with them, to work.

Just thought I would list out the options for those interested, and start working them.  Bit of cost, hope I get it right straight away.  If not step 2 is the DIY plate method, unless someone has the Buell peg info.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 05:11:08 pm by sscully » Logged

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2007, 11:48:39 pm »

Dunno, but check kawi forums-zx-9 thread might have some info.

sscully

Reputation 463

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2007, 05:21:50 pm »

Dunno, but check kawi forums-zx-9 thread might have some info.

That is where I got some of this info from.  
The Buell mod is a no go for the brake lever ( 12R has adjustment for the lever, 9R it sits too high ).

I Ordered the peg lowers from Murph, but I think I will have the problems with the rear brake lever now.

Next would be the Corbin ones, or the DIY brackets.  Still need to find a 14R to see.

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2007, 08:19:31 pm »

I had gone deep into the peg lowered thing too but ended up getting some black slash cut replacement pegs. Only lower it a little but I like the look.

timatwood

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2007, 10:10:04 pm »

That is where I got some of this info from.  
The Buell mod is a no go for the brake lever ( 12R has adjustment for the lever, 9R it sits too high ).
I Ordered the peg lowers from Murph, but I think I will have the problems with the rear brake lever now.

You can get the lever quite a bit lower by removing the locknut from above the pivot collar and just using the lower locknut to hold it in place. Has worked fine for about 25k miles on my 9r with LP superpole pegs on it that lower about 3/4" from stock (about same as the buell pegs). At 6'1" with size 12 feet I tend to adjust the rear brake pretty low, and I've been happy with it.
sscully

Reputation 463

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2007, 11:16:06 am »

You can get the lever quite a bit lower by removing the locknut from above the pivot collar and just using the lower locknut to hold it in place. Has worked fine for about 25k miles on my 9r with LP superpole pegs on it that lower about 3/4" from stock (about same as the buell pegs). At 6'1" with size 12 feet I tend to adjust the rear brake pretty low, and I've been happy with it.

Thanks for the info, I just got back home, and my Murph peg lowering kit was in the mail.  I'll give this a try this weekend, if I do not spend too much time riding it or the ZG ( weather is way too nice to spend it spannering in the garage ).

Thanks again, I'll let you know what I come up with.

matthew
hi

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: CBR 1100, SV650
GPS: Toronto
Miles Typed: 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2007, 05:39:50 pm »

Which year zx9 are the most desirable?  I am looking at one to replace my sv650.  
Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2007, 07:43:04 pm »

'03...I've had a '98 and '00....from '00 up they have bigger cams and are peppier.

~Drain Fade
sscully

Reputation 463

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2007, 11:49:12 am »

Which year zx9 are the most desirable?  I am looking at one to replace my sv650.  

That is one of those person preference things.

I like the fueling on the '99 better, but some say it was straightened out in '01 on the E-series.  That is just what I have read, I have not ridden a '01 or newer, only a '00.  Seemed about the same peppy wise '99 to '00 when riding one, then the other, then back again.  Drain Fade has a different opinion on this, so YMMV.

Forget all the other changes C to F ??  Maybe Drain Fade knows them better, having both a C1, E1 and F2 (? )

Most add ons for the 9R are in the '00+ MY bikes.

I think it is '02 when the mirror bracket changed from the mirror to the frame, to be part of the mount for the clocks ( F1 ?? ).  
The new clock / mirror bracket looks like it can be mounted on the '98 + bikes, so if you want to install Heli Bars, it can be done.  I installed Gen Mar Risers, that 3/4" is a big difference to me, and it does not get in the way of the mirror bracket.

I just got a set of Pazzo Shorty levers for my '99, front brake drop in replacement, the clutch I need to change the mount for the lever to work, 23.00 part ( from what I can tell, still waiting on Ron Ayers shipment ).

So it comes down to
1. Price : When I was looking some time ago, C-series were about 1.5K cheaper then a E/F-series model.
1.1. This was '03, so the last of the 9Rs were out, don't recall if the 9R EOL was already announced in JUL for the 10R.  I thought so.
2. Add on options : C-series require some DIY, and newer F-series parts, but even some different in the F-series ( I think F1 was a change on some things...not 100% sure straight away ).

That is about what I can think of straight away.

Good luck, regardless of which series you get, you will love it.  Great all around bike.
EDIT: Drainfade's correction on my model numbers ( E vs. F ) had those wrong.  Thanks Bro !
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 09:52:31 am by sscully » Logged

Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2007, 12:14:14 pm »

Ok...obviously I need to give a bit more detail on my experiences with the C and the E (which I have now). The Y2K is an E1 and my old '98 was a C1. Don't get me wrong they are both GREAT bikes but here are the significant diffs. Starting with Y2k went a bigger cam and higher compression...it has a few more ponies than the C series. There are 2 big issues with all 9's.....carb freezing and handlebar vibes. Personally I am VERY sensitive to handlebar vibes and the bike does fine for me as long as I'm good in the valve dept and carb's are synced up. I know I'm getting close to valve check time based on vibes  Bigsmile So the other issue is carb freezing...that has been solved with an Ivan's jet kit on both the '98 and '00. I ride all year round in all weather and only have had issue <20...but the issues are short lived as long as I get the RPM's up and warm the engine enough to heat up the carbs. Most people will never have carb freezing issues with the Ivan's kit. I swear by his kits...they are perfect if installed EXACTLY as in the instructions. I actually dropped a K&N in my '00 to lean it out a hair because Ivan's kits have been rich on both of my 9's. The K&N with 4 turns out in my neck of the woods (Seattle area) is PERFECT and I really  have no complaints. As to which year 9 to buy....whatever you can get a hold of is probably the best answer. I would try and get between '00 and '03 to get the subtle improvements kwak made to the bike...but realistically any year from '98-'03 is a great bike. My problem is I have no idea what my next bike will be...I love my 9 too much and have no idea how many miles I'll be able to rack up on it. I'll hit 30K on my trip down to Laguna  Banana  

~Drain Fade
matthew
hi

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: CBR 1100, SV650
GPS: Toronto
Miles Typed: 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2007, 01:38:49 pm »

What is the passenger comfort of a 9 like?  Is there a difference between the pre 01 (or is it 02) to the newer ones?  If i have to, I'll purchase an aftermarket seat, but I'd still like to hear opinions on seating position with the footpegs.  My gf is about 5'8 and 120lbs if it helps
Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2007, 08:22:20 pm »

What is the passenger comfort of a 9 like?  Is there a difference between the pre 01 (or is it 02) to the newer ones?  If i have to, I'll purchase an aftermarket seat, but I'd still like to hear opinions on seating position with the footpegs.  My gf is about 5'8 and 120lbs if it helps

There is no comfort. If you put a topcase on the back it's a bit more comfy...but realistically it's not good for LD rides, short ones are fine though.

~Drain Fade
wheelspeed

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '01 ZX9R

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2008, 03:26:18 pm »

Your gf is pretty tall.  Like all sportbikes, the passenger pegs are quite close to the passenger seat.
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 ZX-9 modded & '86 V65 Magna original
GPS: 5000 rounds and a dozen claymores down a dirt road, SC
Miles Typed: 561

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2008, 03:29:39 pm »

This thread should not be on page 3.

Hi all, new 9 rider here but not new to the kwacker fold. Started out on a 750 H2 (dads) and my first street was a '76 KZ 900. My last ride was a Y2K ZX-11 but there have been many KX's and GPZ's in between.

Recently ~2 weeks ago~ got a 03 9 that lived it's previous life as a trailer queen, 4314 miles to be exact. So far it has a M4 slip on and an undertail with fender eliminator kit. The engine and carbs are still virgin. I just ordered a Pilot sport for the front and Pilot Road2 for the rear. I ordered a 180 for the rear hoping it will quicken the steering a bit and so far all I have for it is a small tank bag by Cortech, hoping to get saddle bags as well.

I have set my suspension up as described in this article and it transformed the ride in a good way, factory settings were set up too soft for me. What me or the local dealer cant figure out is the ride height shims. The owners nor service manual give any indication about ride height adjustment. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/03june02kawasaki2002zx9r.html

Oh yeah, the green ones are faster.  Bigok

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
Man f-in card.  F.     AAAARRRR!"
Fourstring
Careful, that's a load-bearing ziptie...

Reputation 47

Motorcycles: Kawi ZX9, Honda Uglystick
GPS: Norman Rockwell's Distopia
Miles Typed: 6073

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2008, 05:37:12 pm »

I've been looking at one pretty seriously for the last few days to replace the Conc.

How friendly are the ZX-9's?  I'm convinced it's a good bike, and I'm in shape enough to ride it long distance, but I have some concerns about being ready for a sport bike with 120 RWHP.

Let's all panic.  That should fix it.
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2009, 01:24:25 pm »

Bringing this back up from the depths.

Just got finished with the 7500 mile service, actually done at 7762 miles. I kinda went mental and decided while it was down to do some upgrades to try and sort out some problems. Fueling since day one had been a problem for me. Very abrupt throttle response and then lots of flat spots. Once I got the carbs off I discovered why. The #4 main was laying in the bottom of the carb, amazing it ran at all and even with that it was still hell for strong.

I ended up installing a Ivans jet kit with the block off plates as well to get rid of the popping, it helped greatly but it's still there but very little. Also did a Factory +4 ign. advancer. From what I'd read this helps with the throttle response, in conjunction with the jet kit and carb sync, all is well now. Bolted on a full Muzzy with the Ti oval, had an M4 slip on and the Muzzy is a good bit quieter with a "bassie" sound. Don't know how long the 'glass will last in the muffler but it shouldn't be that hard to repack should it get too loud. Stuck in a K&N filter and new NGKs while it was apart. 4 shims had to be replaced but nothing was major out.

I also picked up a set of Renthal suberbike grips but have not taken the time to remove the stockers yet. I love those grips and have put them on every bike bike I've owned. I did manage to change out the foot pegs as well, Competition Accessories has knurled aluminum pegs for the 9. I was hoping for something with some drop but nothing could be found. I did go to the local HD/Buell dealership and ended up leaving in disgust. Parts guy didn't want to sell me the pegs and was no help in trying to find out the dimensions on the Buell pegs to see what it would take to make them work. Cycle Gear was more than happy to take my cash so they got my business. I tried putting silicon in the stock pegs but it made them hard and slippery, no problems now.

Loving the Michelins, much better than the Bridgerocks that were on it. Went with a Power front and Road 2CT on the rear. I also dropped down to a 180 on the back, helped turn in and side to side transitions immensely. I've also picked up a small Cortec tank bag and a Nelson Rigg Sport Tail pack. I ordered the "expandable" tail pack and it should provide enough storage for a weeks worth of clothing if I pack right in summer mode. I also ordered the rear cowl from an online vendor, it really cleans up the lines IMO. Once I had it on I had to take the green hugger off and paint it black, just tooo much green and it got hard on my eyes.

All for now and if anyone has interest in a M4 Titanium slip on in good shape, speak up 'cause I'll probably flea bay it.

Obligatory pick from Sundays ride.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:28:24 pm by Hunter » Logged

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
JGreb

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '08 FJR, '08 650R, '07 Super Duke
Miles Typed: 384

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2009, 05:00:09 pm »

Sounds like you have it dialed in. My first sportbike was a brand spankin' new '98 ZX-6R and in that day it was a revolutionary 600cc sportbike. I always drooled over it's big brother ZX-9R and wanted one so bad.  Hail

To this day I still think nothing is sweeter than kawasaki green. Everytime I see a new ninja on the showroom floor in that color I want to take it home.
bernieg

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 superglide/1999 zx-9/04 buell firebolt
GPS: south jersey
Miles Typed: 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2009, 10:13:41 pm »

Hunter,  I put the buell drop down pegs on my 9 they made abig difference hard to believe that 1 inch would make that much of a difference, easy to install, had to drill out the center hole slightly and grind a small amount off of the sides to fit the mount. Good luck with your 9 I love mine.
motorcyclemac
2006 Kawasaki Concours C10

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Concours
GPS: Bellingham, WA.
Miles Typed: 288

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2009, 12:49:31 pm »

Everytime I see a new ninja on the showroom floor in that color I want to take it home.

Yep....me too.  I have been like that since I sold the ZX-11.  I have had 3 Concourses since then.  All these pics of green 900 and 1400 Ninjas isn't helping.  I miss the crisp handling and power.  The Concours just doesn't have that....and it isn't GREEN.

Cheers
Mac.

Alright...The back is not fixed.  I am still a cripple....  Looks like another summer with no riding.
johnwesley

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: klr650 zx9r
GPS: Mena, Ar
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2009, 07:23:41 pm »

here an old pic of the deceased

http://www.cmausa.org/!UserFiles/fastlane%202007%20rally.pdf
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2009, 11:28:13 am »

Good form there John and leading a pack of Honda's   Thumbsup

FJinMN

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Two 1985 Yamaha FJ1100s, one 1987 Yamaha FJ1200, and a 1981 Kawasaki GPz1100
Miles Typed: 75

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2017, 11:22:59 am »

Anyone here that is either a past or current owner of an F1-F2 model have any aftermarket items gathering dust, that you want to part with? PM me if you do.

Thanks!
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1818

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2017, 08:39:55 pm »

ZX 9

One of best bikes ever

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
notch

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 ZX9R

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2017, 08:52:40 pm »

Have an 02 zx9 41k miles.  Great bike, no problems at all.  Great power, have toured all over the Western states- Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho, back to North Dakota.  Stock setup added a Corbin seat.  Bought a 14 this spring.  Anyone interested in a 9?
rajflyboy

Reputation 373

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1818

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2017, 09:55:04 pm »

Best Sportbike ever made

Thumbsup

The wonderful days of having a back seat on a sportbike

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal