Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '06 Kawasaki Black Stallion
Miles Typed: 144

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2007, 07:43:04 pm »

'03...I've had a '98 and '00....from '00 up they have bigger cams and are peppier.

~Drain Fade
Have a '98-'01 VFR, '98-'03 ZX9R or '06-'07 ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

sscully

Reputation 461

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: 1994 Honda GL1500
GPS: Under the flightpath of ORD 22R
Miles Typed: 296

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2007, 11:49:12 am »

Which year zx9 are the most desirable?  I am looking at one to replace my sv650.  

That is one of those person preference things.

I like the fueling on the '99 better, but some say it was straightened out in '01 on the E-series.  That is just what I have read, I have not ridden a '01 or newer, only a '00.  Seemed about the same peppy wise '99 to '00 when riding one, then the other, then back again.  Drain Fade has a different opinion on this, so YMMV.

Forget all the other changes C to F ??  Maybe Drain Fade knows them better, having both a C1, E1 and F2 (? )

Most add ons for the 9R are in the '00+ MY bikes.

I think it is '02 when the mirror bracket changed from the mirror to the frame, to be part of the mount for the clocks ( F1 ?? ).  
The new clock / mirror bracket looks like it can be mounted on the '98 + bikes, so if you want to install Heli Bars, it can be done.  I installed Gen Mar Risers, that 3/4" is a big difference to me, and it does not get in the way of the mirror bracket.

I just got a set of Pazzo Shorty levers for my '99, front brake drop in replacement, the clutch I need to change the mount for the lever to work, 23.00 part ( from what I can tell, still waiting on Ron Ayers shipment ).

So it comes down to
1. Price : When I was looking some time ago, C-series were about 1.5K cheaper then a E/F-series model.
1.1. This was '03, so the last of the 9Rs were out, don't recall if the 9R EOL was already announced in JUL for the 10R.  I thought so.
2. Add on options : C-series require some DIY, and newer F-series parts, but even some different in the F-series ( I think F1 was a change on some things...not 100% sure straight away ).

That is about what I can think of straight away.

Good luck, regardless of which series you get, you will love it.  Great all around bike.
EDIT: Drainfade's correction on my model numbers ( E vs. F ) had those wrong.  Thanks Bro !
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 09:52:31 am by sscully » Logged

"Behind you they're a threat, in front they're entertainment" --Yellow Wolf
Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2007, 12:14:14 pm »

Ok...obviously I need to give a bit more detail on my experiences with the C and the E (which I have now). The Y2K is an E1 and my old '98 was a C1. Don't get me wrong they are both GREAT bikes but here are the significant diffs. Starting with Y2k went a bigger cam and higher compression...it has a few more ponies than the C series. There are 2 big issues with all 9's.....carb freezing and handlebar vibes. Personally I am VERY sensitive to handlebar vibes and the bike does fine for me as long as I'm good in the valve dept and carb's are synced up. I know I'm getting close to valve check time based on vibes  Bigsmile So the other issue is carb freezing...that has been solved with an Ivan's jet kit on both the '98 and '00. I ride all year round in all weather and only have had issue <20...but the issues are short lived as long as I get the RPM's up and warm the engine enough to heat up the carbs. Most people will never have carb freezing issues with the Ivan's kit. I swear by his kits...they are perfect if installed EXACTLY as in the instructions. I actually dropped a K&N in my '00 to lean it out a hair because Ivan's kits have been rich on both of my 9's. The K&N with 4 turns out in my neck of the woods (Seattle area) is PERFECT and I really  have no complaints. As to which year 9 to buy....whatever you can get a hold of is probably the best answer. I would try and get between '00 and '03 to get the subtle improvements kwak made to the bike...but realistically any year from '98-'03 is a great bike. My problem is I have no idea what my next bike will be...I love my 9 too much and have no idea how many miles I'll be able to rack up on it. I'll hit 30K on my trip down to Laguna  Banana  

~Drain Fade
Have a '98-'01 VFR, '98-'03 ZX9R or '06-'07 ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
Advertisement

matthew
hi

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: CBR 1100, SV650
GPS: Toronto
Miles Typed: 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2007, 01:38:49 pm »

What is the passenger comfort of a 9 like?  Is there a difference between the pre 01 (or is it 02) to the newer ones?  If i have to, I'll purchase an aftermarket seat, but I'd still like to hear opinions on seating position with the footpegs.  My gf is about 5'8 and 120lbs if it helps
Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2007, 08:22:20 pm »

What is the passenger comfort of a 9 like?  Is there a difference between the pre 01 (or is it 02) to the newer ones?  If i have to, I'll purchase an aftermarket seat, but I'd still like to hear opinions on seating position with the footpegs.  My gf is about 5'8 and 120lbs if it helps

There is no comfort. If you put a topcase on the back it's a bit more comfy...but realistically it's not good for LD rides, short ones are fine though.

~Drain Fade
wheelspeed

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '01 ZX9R
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2008, 03:26:18 pm »

Your gf is pretty tall.  Like all sportbikes, the passenger pegs are quite close to the passenger seat.
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 ZX-9 modded & '86 V65 Magna original
GPS: 5000 rounds and a dozen claymores down a dirt road, SC
Miles Typed: 561

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2008, 03:29:39 pm »

This thread should not be on page 3.

Hi all, new 9 rider here but not new to the kwacker fold. Started out on a 750 H2 (dads) and my first street was a '76 KZ 900. My last ride was a Y2K ZX-11 but there have been many KX's and GPZ's in between.

Recently ~2 weeks ago~ got a 03 9 that lived it's previous life as a trailer queen, 4314 miles to be exact. So far it has a M4 slip on and an undertail with fender eliminator kit. The engine and carbs are still virgin. I just ordered a Pilot sport for the front and Pilot Road2 for the rear. I ordered a 180 for the rear hoping it will quicken the steering a bit and so far all I have for it is a small tank bag by Cortech, hoping to get saddle bags as well.

I have set my suspension up as described in this article and it transformed the ride in a good way, factory settings were set up too soft for me. What me or the local dealer cant figure out is the ride height shims. The owners nor service manual give any indication about ride height adjustment. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/03june02kawasaki2002zx9r.html

Oh yeah, the green ones are faster.  Bigok

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
Man f-in card.  F.     AAAARRRR!"
Fourstring
Careful, that's a load-bearing ziptie...

Reputation 47

Motorcycles: Kawi ZX9, Honda Uglystick
GPS: Norman Rockwell's Distopia
Miles Typed: 6073

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2008, 05:37:12 pm »

I've been looking at one pretty seriously for the last few days to replace the Conc.

How friendly are the ZX-9's?  I'm convinced it's a good bike, and I'm in shape enough to ride it long distance, but I have some concerns about being ready for a sport bike with 120 RWHP.

Let's all panic.  That should fix it.
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2009, 01:24:25 pm »

Bringing this back up from the depths.

Just got finished with the 7500 mile service, actually done at 7762 miles. I kinda went mental and decided while it was down to do some upgrades to try and sort out some problems. Fueling since day one had been a problem for me. Very abrupt throttle response and then lots of flat spots. Once I got the carbs off I discovered why. The #4 main was laying in the bottom of the carb, amazing it ran at all and even with that it was still hell for strong.

I ended up installing a Ivans jet kit with the block off plates as well to get rid of the popping, it helped greatly but it's still there but very little. Also did a Factory +4 ign. advancer. From what I'd read this helps with the throttle response, in conjunction with the jet kit and carb sync, all is well now. Bolted on a full Muzzy with the Ti oval, had an M4 slip on and the Muzzy is a good bit quieter with a "bassie" sound. Don't know how long the 'glass will last in the muffler but it shouldn't be that hard to repack should it get too loud. Stuck in a K&N filter and new NGKs while it was apart. 4 shims had to be replaced but nothing was major out.

I also picked up a set of Renthal suberbike grips but have not taken the time to remove the stockers yet. I love those grips and have put them on every bike bike I've owned. I did manage to change out the foot pegs as well, Competition Accessories has knurled aluminum pegs for the 9. I was hoping for something with some drop but nothing could be found. I did go to the local HD/Buell dealership and ended up leaving in disgust. Parts guy didn't want to sell me the pegs and was no help in trying to find out the dimensions on the Buell pegs to see what it would take to make them work. Cycle Gear was more than happy to take my cash so they got my business. I tried putting silicon in the stock pegs but it made them hard and slippery, no problems now.

Loving the Michelins, much better than the Bridgerocks that were on it. Went with a Power front and Road 2CT on the rear. I also dropped down to a 180 on the back, helped turn in and side to side transitions immensely. I've also picked up a small Cortec tank bag and a Nelson Rigg Sport Tail pack. I ordered the "expandable" tail pack and it should provide enough storage for a weeks worth of clothing if I pack right in summer mode. I also ordered the rear cowl from an online vendor, it really cleans up the lines IMO. Once I had it on I had to take the green hugger off and paint it black, just tooo much green and it got hard on my eyes.

All for now and if anyone has interest in a M4 Titanium slip on in good shape, speak up 'cause I'll probably flea bay it.

Obligatory pick from Sundays ride.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:28:24 pm by Hunter » Logged

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
JGreb

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '08 FJR, '08 650R, '07 Super Duke
Miles Typed: 384

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2009, 05:00:09 pm »

Sounds like you have it dialed in. My first sportbike was a brand spankin' new '98 ZX-6R and in that day it was a revolutionary 600cc sportbike. I always drooled over it's big brother ZX-9R and wanted one so bad.  Hail

To this day I still think nothing is sweeter than kawasaki green. Everytime I see a new ninja on the showroom floor in that color I want to take it home.
bernieg

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 superglide/1999 zx-9/04 buell firebolt
GPS: south jersey
Miles Typed: 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2009, 10:13:41 pm »

Hunter,  I put the buell drop down pegs on my 9 they made abig difference hard to believe that 1 inch would make that much of a difference, easy to install, had to drill out the center hole slightly and grind a small amount off of the sides to fit the mount. Good luck with your 9 I love mine.
motorcyclemac
2006 Kawasaki Concours C10

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Concours
GPS: Bellingham, WA.
Miles Typed: 288

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2009, 12:49:31 pm »

Everytime I see a new ninja on the showroom floor in that color I want to take it home.

Yep....me too.  I have been like that since I sold the ZX-11.  I have had 3 Concourses since then.  All these pics of green 900 and 1400 Ninjas isn't helping.  I miss the crisp handling and power.  The Concours just doesn't have that....and it isn't GREEN.

Cheers
Mac.

Alright...The back is not fixed.  I am still a cripple....  Looks like another summer with no riding.
johnwesley

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: klr650 zx9r
GPS: Mena, Ar
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2009, 07:23:41 pm »

here an old pic of the deceased

http://www.cmausa.org/!UserFiles/fastlane%202007%20rally.pdf
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2009, 11:28:13 am »

Good form there John and leading a pack of Honda's   Thumbsup

FJinMN

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Two 1985 Yamaha FJ1100s, one 1987 Yamaha FJ1200, and a 1981 Kawasaki GPz1100
Miles Typed: 75

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2017, 11:22:59 am »

Anyone here that is either a past or current owner of an F1-F2 model have any aftermarket items gathering dust, that you want to part with? PM me if you do.

Thanks!
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1615

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2017, 08:39:55 pm »

ZX 9

One of best bikes ever

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
notch

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 ZX9R
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2017, 08:52:40 pm »

Have an 02 zx9 41k miles.  Great bike, no problems at all.  Great power, have toured all over the Western states- Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho, back to North Dakota.  Stock setup added a Corbin seat.  Bought a 14 this spring.  Anyone interested in a 9?
rajflyboy

Reputation 365

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1615

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2017, 09:55:04 pm »

Best Sportbike ever made

Thumbsup

The wonderful days of having a back seat on a sportbike

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal