Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: ZX-9  (Read 56123 times)

bizarro

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 11:56:01 am »

i agree but how do i post pics??? Headscratch Crazy

Either as an attachment (click the additional options button at the bottom of the post window) or click the little photo button above the smileys and copy your image url if it's posted on the net (right click, properties, copy, if you're using a pc, or right click copy image address if you're using a mac and a two-button mouse) and past the url between the tags.  Thumbsup
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 03 ZX-9
Miles Typed: 313

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 12:11:30 pm »

Thank you-will try again.

And all the roads we ride are winding, hope all the curves are'nt blinding
Silver9r

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2003 Kawi ZX-9r
GPS: Marion, Iowa
Miles Typed: 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 02:30:27 pm »

Got a question since we have a dedicated 9r thread here.  How many of you have soft luggage of some sort?  I want to get some for some road trips I have planned and wanted to know what works best on our bikes.
Advertisement

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 09:49:46 pm »

i have a basic tailbag or maybe rear seat bag is more accurate. I've never done more than 450mi in a day which is also my longest trip ever. It holds enuf for that and probably a overnighter. BTW, thats my bike Razz. well with a closer look, I have carbon hugger and carbon Muzzy and stock fro nt turn lamps; rear is chopped and uses brake lites as turn signals also. and no more ninja on back or reflectors. Yeah, lets keep the zx-9 thread alive Thumbsup

Thor

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '02 ZX9
Miles Typed: 699

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 08:26:26 am »

I currently use a Ventura Pak system, and for longer trips, I use the underseat tie downs to stap two Helen Two Wheels bags to the passenger seat and secure them to the Ventura Pak Rack.

It works well, but I would like to add some saddle bags.  When you get alot of weight on the back, it becomes difficult to keep the front wheel on the ground.  I think some saddle bags will help by getting the weight lower and a bit more forward.

I use a tank bag when I have to, but I don't like them on this bike.  My arm goes across the tank in turns, and with a tank bag that doesn't work.
Silver9r

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2003 Kawi ZX-9r
GPS: Marion, Iowa
Miles Typed: 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 09:31:21 am »

I had originally thought about a seat bag and a tank bag.  I had never thought about arm position until you just brought that up.  I may need to put something on there about the same size and see if it is in the way.  I think I will probably get at least a rear bag.  If I could find a decent deal on some saddle bags to go with I probably would do that too.  

and no more ninja on back or reflectors.

I have been thinking about removing the Ninja stickers too.  Just kinda gives it the boy racer image.  And that is not what my bike is used for.
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2125

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 01:48:05 pm »

This thread needs more pictures!

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 06:37:42 pm »

I had originally thought about a seat bag and a tank bag.  I had never thought about arm position until you just brought that up.  I may need to put something on there about the same size and see if it is in the way.  I think I will probably get at least a rear bag.  If I could find a decent deal on some saddle bags to go with I probably would do that too.  

I have been thinking about removing the Ninja stickers too.  Just kinda gives it the boy racer image.  And that is not what my bike is used for.
My feeling exactly. If I were 20 or so I'm sure i would love the image but not now. Even tho I sometimes ride like a 20yr old Razz. Used hair dryer and a lot of patience. And a little WD-40. heres me bike, not the best size but i'm working on it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 07:06:46 pm by rasta » Logged

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 10:00:30 pm »

Hope this one is better.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 01:07:39 am by rasta » Logged

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 03:02:14 pm »

Yo! i posted the pics and now no love?

lemosley01

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZX-9R
Miles Typed: 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 12:25:24 am »

My first post here.

I have an 03 - bone stock. Have a front sprocket (down 1 tooth) and a set of Heli-bars to put on, plus I changed the grips. Other than that, stock.

Thor, can you define 'some farkles'. I'm looking at getting a heated jacket liner, possibly the warmnsafe 100 watt model, and some gloves. Any idea if it can handle that?

Other than that, I love the bike. I would be nice if it weighed a little less, but less weight can also mean less comfort when travelling.
Thor

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 12:42:22 am »

My first post here.

I have an 03 - bone stock. Have a front sprocket (down 1 tooth) and a set of Heli-bars to put on, plus I changed the grips. Other than that, stock.

Thor, can you define 'some farkles'. I'm looking at getting a heated jacket liner, possibly the warmnsafe 100 watt model, and some gloves. Any idea if it can handle that?

Other than that, I love the bike. I would be nice if it weighed a little less, but less weight can also mean less comfort when travelling.

Actually, the 9 is only 476 wet - that's light, but it does feel heavy, but only during quick transitions from one side to the other.  The center of gravity is WAY TOO HIGH, the reach is a little long, and the bar angle is too severe.

I run a Gerbing heated jacket and gloves.  I did the math, and your just fine with the gear.  I would recommend trying to run above 5-6K with it running.  My battery died a little earlier than expected.

Watch your clearance after you install your Helibars.  They don't seem to fit quite right.  I've heard they have fixed that.  I added rearsets and that was all I needed to get the ergos where I liked them.  The stock foot pegs are the biggest liabilty on the bike as far as I am concerned.

I added a double bubble windscreen and it made a big difference.  You might like that with the Helibars.
lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 01:18:37 am »

Thanks for the info - what is the output on the alternator?

Also, regarding the rearsets, I take it you moved them up/back some?
Thor

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 02:00:30 am »

Thanks for the info - what is the output on the alternator?

Also, regarding the rearsets, I take it you moved them up/back some?

33A 14V at 5,000 RPM = 462 watts.  Reality, 33A at 11.6V + = 382.80 watts.  

I went with the Woodcraft rearsets because the are extremely solid, relatively inexpensive, and I really like the pegs - very beefy and solid (they will eat through a set of tennis shoes in no time.)  If you go with Woodcraft, you will need a rear pressure switch for the brake light - no big deal.

Back is more important than up.  The tank is so huge that I like to have some room to move.  

It is also a long reach to the outside stock pegs while in a turn (30", measured, inseam.)  So, maybe "up" helped a bit.  Rearsets can be hard on your knees if you aren't in good physical condition.
lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 09:17:48 am »

THanks for the info on the alternator - I didn't realize it was that that powerful.  Is the 14V claimed by Kawi, but it is really putting out 11.6V @5K? I am usually cruising right around 5K

How well does your Gerbing gear do at sub-freezing with those power levels?

For whomever it was that posted in the thread earlier about soft-sided luggage, I have a set of Nelson-Rigg saddlebags that I use - they are the big ones that expand open  - IIRC, the dimensions are something like 18 inches long, 11 inches wide (expanded) and 10 inches deep. If you don't strap them up high, the left side can touch the muffler, causing the hard plastic in the bottom to slight bubble/warp. I know this from experience. Bigsmile.  You can pack a goodly amount of stuff in these.

I believe an aftermarket can will give more clearance because it is smaller in diameter (maybe shorter as well?).

FWIW it's worth, I didn't notice the weight of the bike too much at the track day I did at Mid-Ohio last year. The caveat is I'm nowhere near a good enough rider to really get to the point where I can transition so quickly that the bike is holding me back. It is nice and stable in the corners, and I didn't feel like I had a problem tipping it over to get it where it needs to go. Again, I'm not at the point where I can just slam the bike over, but I was amazed at how much the bike has to give and not complain. I scrubbed the rear tire completely out to the edge, and the front within about 1/8th of an inch. This is on the stock tires, no less.

Track day taught me a lot - if I get into a hairy situation, I know the motorcycle has more than enough to get me through it.
Drain Fade
Kwak Bitch

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '06 Kawasaki Black Stallion
Miles Typed: 144

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 08:53:07 pm »

Here's a pic of my latest baby...

BTW...I post all the mods and crap I've done to both 9's I've had on my homepage http://drainfade.com
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:04:56 pm by Drain Fade » Logged

~Drain Fade
Have a '98-'01 VFR, '98-'03 ZX9R or '06-'07 ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4865

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 09:55:11 pm »

I've always loved this bike.   If I didn't need the room for 2-up, I'd have one right now.  They hit a near perfect balance between sport and comfort.  Sort of like my XX,  but different.

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
MK96xj
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is What its all about?

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Asheville NC
Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ducati MTS 620

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 10:19:18 pm »

Rasta,

What windscreen is that you have? How is the flow with it? I have been looking for a taller one and this looks like it would fit the bill.

Mike

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2007, 11:04:25 pm »

Ah, finally some action Thumbsup. As to the screen its a Z-G sport touring model. Check the website, more info there. Yes it helps on normal riding somewhat, but at high speed it really is great to duck down behind and have NO windblast. i got the clear so radar detector could see better Lol. I also use full Gerb jacket and detector and have had no problems electrically. Yeah, i really lu cked into a great bike; fast as hell. almost 200miles on a tank, decent comfort for my 6'2'. wish they still made em.

lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 11:36:32 pm »

200 miles to the tank? WTF? I only get about 160 or so, although I've never actually run it out of gas to find out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal