Topic: ZX-9  (Read 56125 times)

Thor

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '02 ZX9
Miles Typed: 699

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2007, 01:33:46 am »

THanks for the info on the alternator - I didn't realize it was that that powerful.  Is the 14V claimed by Kawi, but it is really putting out 11.6V @5K? I am usually cruising right around 5K

How well does your Gerbing gear do at sub-freezing with those power levels?

For whomever it was that posted in the thread earlier about soft-sided luggage, I have a set of Nelson-Rigg saddlebags that I use - they are the big ones that expand open  - IIRC, the dimensions are something like 18 inches long, 11 inches wide (expanded) and 10 inches deep. If you don't strap them up high, the left side can touch the muffler, causing the hard plastic in the bottom to slight bubble/warp. I know this from experience. Bigsmile.  You can pack a goodly amount of stuff in these.

I believe an aftermarket can will give more clearance because it is smaller in diameter (maybe shorter as well?).

FWIW it's worth, I didn't notice the weight of the bike too much at the track day I did at Mid-Ohio last year. The caveat is I'm nowhere near a good enough rider to really get to the point where I can transition so quickly that the bike is holding me back. It is nice and stable in the corners, and I didn't feel like I had a problem tipping it over to get it where it needs to go. Again, I'm not at the point where I can just slam the bike over, but I was amazed at how much the bike has to give and not complain. I scrubbed the rear tire completely out to the edge, and the front within about 1/8th of an inch. This is on the stock tires, no less.

Track day taught me a lot - if I get into a hairy situation, I know the motorcycle has more than enough to get me through it.

The alternator can power my jacket and gloves just fine.  When it gets to about 20F my biceps get cold.  I guess that is a problem, but that is without a liner in my jacket and only a thin shirt on underneath.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 03 ZX-9
Miles Typed: 313

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 02:36:11 pm »

200 miles to the tank? WTF? I only get about 160 or so, although I've never actually run it out of gas to find out.
Well, I've never run reserve out but I get about 160 on 4 gallons so i ASSume 200. Thumbsup

And all the roads we ride are winding, hope all the curves are'nt blinding
MK96xj
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is What its all about?

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Asheville NC
Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ducati MTS 620

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 07:30:08 pm »

ZG Sport touring is what i have been looking at but from the puctures in teh web site i really could not tell much difference between the ST and the DBubble as far as height. Nice to see it in another pic. I think an order is needed.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Eric Landstrom

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

I tried a zero gravity double-bubble on my '01 9R and I didn't like it. The db blocks much of the wind that helps hold my torso up and that releaves pressure on my wrists and hands.
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2125

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2007, 09:41:52 am »

This thread needs more pictures of ZX-9R's. For the sake of the thread, these are from Motorcyclist Online,

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2007, 10:38:57 am »

Thanks, Uncle Joe. More pics are needed, especially of the rarest of all colors, the gold/black. BTW, there is a road test that goes with those pics.

lemosley01

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZX-9R
Miles Typed: 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2007, 12:48:24 am »

That gold black is nice...! I really like the metallic green that went on them a few years ago.
Alex

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZX9R E1; Yamaha FZS600
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2007, 12:32:58 pm »

Hi from the UK.
Here's a pic of my Firecracker Red 2000 E1 '9.
sscully

Reputation 511

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: 1994 Honda GL1500
GPS: Under the flightpath of ORD 22R
Miles Typed: 295

My Photo Gallery

FJB

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2007, 06:18:32 am »

'99 9R in Candy Lightning Blue.

Zero Gravity Double bubble installed.
Pyramid Rear hugger & "pass seat" cover replacement

Have a set of Gilles chain adjusters and Paddock stand adapters to install, as well as a set of GenMar bar risers ( could not find any Helibars, they were all gone @ Helibar ).

One of the first things I did when I got it was to remove all the decals on the body work.  Also not my thing.

Great bike.  Still can't figure out why the wankers in PB thrash it so bad.  The last article was about used sport bikes, and they put it up against liter bikes, and just trashed is unmercifully.  Sod the lot of them ! Twofinger

"Behind you they're a threat, in front they're entertainment" --Yellow Wolf
"You really are one stupid idiot." ~Tejasbusa
We have to stop playing along when propagandist redefining things ~ micah2074
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2125

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2007, 08:44:52 am »

Thanks, Uncle Joe. More pics are needed, especially of the rarest of all colors, the gold/black. BTW, there is a road test that goes with those pics.

I watched as a nearly pristine 03 Gold/Black sold on ebay yesterday for $5100. If it wasn't so far from me, I might've picked it up. I want to test ride this bike first, though.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2007, 01:41:46 pm »

Nice blue '9 Sscully Thumbsup. Sod is right, I saw that same article. I hope most people stay ignorant of the bike as maybe i can get another
one Thumbsup Razz      and Joey, that is a good price for a 03, but prices are low in general for '9s which was good when i got mine last year and since i won't ever sell it does'nt bother me.

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2007, 01:47:57 pm »

kgrant

Hi from the UK.
Here's a pic of my Firecracker Red 2000 E1 '9.

And Hi back at ya! :thumbsup:i spend a lot of time on a UK forum, kgrantco.uk.com, I think it is and a great forum it is. I've got a pic on there somewhere. Great resource for how-to etc. Nice looking bike, love those red wheels. I don't know if we got that color here in US, but i see so few zx-9s not sure. i go to some M/C meets but never any 9s. Also am a bike shop lurker and have seen one in a dealer and one truely ugly and multi crashed streetfighter on the road. In 2+ years of looking. Headscratch
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:53:18 pm by rasta » Logged

sscully

Reputation 511

My Photo Gallery

FJB

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2007, 12:10:01 am »

Nice blue '9 Sscully Thumbsup. Sod is right, I saw that same article. I hope most people stay ignorant of the bike as maybe i can get another one Thumbsup Razz      and Joey, that is a good price for a 03, but prices are low in general for '9s which was good when i got mine last year and since i won't ever sell it does'nt bother me.

Thanks !!

What did PB call us, "a militant bunch of apologist".  

The used market might be in short supply, due to 9R owners knowing how good the bike is, and never part with them ( aside from the bunch that wraps them around a tree, doing something in error ).  
Not the case of they only sold 4 of them, that is for sure.  
When the 10R came out, I went to look at one, and did not see it in the show room, the sale rep pointed out I was standing next to it !.
It was the same color as the 6R next to it, so I thought that there were 2 6Rs side by side in the same color.
3/4 scale is about the most accurate description of liter sportbikes these days !  Total rubbish you ask me.

I think the line of huge battleship ( 14R ) or 1/2 step up from a pocket bike ( 10R and down ) is about the state of bikes for the short term.  When did smaller become better is all I want to know.

rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2007, 02:22:14 pm »

Thanks !!

What did PB call us, "a militant bunch of apologist".  

The used market might be in short supply, due to 9R owners knowing how good the bike is, and never part with them ( aside from the bunch that wraps them around a tree, doing something in error ).  
Not the case of they only sold 4 of them, that is for sure.  
When the 10R came out, I went to look at one, and did not see it in the show room, the sale rep pointed out I was standing next to it !.
It was the same color as the 6R next to it, so I thought that there were 2 6Rs side by side in the same color.
3/4 scale is about the most accurate description of liter sportbikes these days !  Total rubbish you ask me.

I think the line of huge battleship ( 14R ) or 1/2 step up from a pocket bike ( 10R and down ) is about the state of bikes for the short term.  When did smaller become better is all I want to know.

right you are about 'mini bikes"; too fucking small Thumbsdown.Take away the 9 and I don't know what I'd ride. At 6'2", I'm not exactly a giant, most bikes I don't fit on. One of my dream bikes if I hit the lottery Lol is a MV Brutale 910R and at a not too far away dealer I found sized for 5'6" and under-not even close. so i hope I can stay with the 9. If something happened to this one I'd buy another. I have seen on a few sites people looking to buy. I wonder how many were made. Worldwide and USA only? About the ZX14, if people want them, go for it but not for me.

sscully

Reputation 511

My Photo Gallery

FJB

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2007, 09:57:24 am »

.....  I wonder how many were made. Worldwide and USA only? About the ZX14, if people want them, go for it but not for me.

Took a quick google ( was not expecting much ) and did not find any production numbers right away.  Would be interesting to see how many were made up to the end.
The 14R is nice for a Sport Tourer, but after I saw Vicki Bulter-Henderson accidentally patch the beast off the line, it would take 100% focus to ride it.
Speaking of PB & 14R, notice that Dale from PB used a 14R for the cannonball ?  They MF Kawks all day long, then for a competition use one.  douche bags !

lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2007, 07:29:40 pm »

Took a quick google ( was not expecting much ) and did not find any production numbers right away.  Would be interesting to see how many were made up to the end.
The 14R is nice for a Sport Tourer, but after I saw Vicki Bulter-Henderson accidentally patch the beast off the line, it would take 100% focus to ride it.
Speaking of PB & 14R, notice that Dale from PB used a 14R for the cannonball ?  They MF Kawks all day long, then for a competition use one.  douche bags !

Can someone translate this into English?  Bigsmile
sscully

Reputation 511

My Photo Gallery

FJB

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2007, 12:07:17 am »

Can someone translate this into English?  Bigsmile

Sorry I take the phrase in question is the bold part.
PB = Performance Bikes Mag ( UK Mag ).
Dale Lamas ( PB writer / tester ) participated in the Euro Cannonball run ( that part I figure you got  )
MF = Mother fu@k ( again figure you might have gotten that ).
Kawk = Slang for Kawasaki might also see Kawi

PB seems to be very Yam centric ( I think they hump their R1's at night ), but for the cannonball run, they used a ZX-14R ( in Euro terms, ZZR14 ), not their beloved R1 ( even the Phase I R1 from the Bol'dor .
Sorry about that lemosley01, I have a tenancy to think faster then I type / type in slang too much.
I could see the problem, Peanut Butter & 14R, eating a sandwich on the bike, where is the jelly ?
kawk, did he hit a duck on his bike, while eating a peanut butter sandwich, and again, where is the jelly..WTF was he thinking going without jelly, that is like riding without a lid...
Don't laugh, you will just encourage me.  Lol

lemosley01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2007, 01:15:20 am »

LOL. You Englanders always make me laugh.

Unless they have done some comfort mods to the R1, I would take the 14 too.

Yammies don't do much for me - don't know why, they just don't
Silver9r

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2003 Kawi ZX-9r
GPS: Marion, Iowa
Miles Typed: 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2007, 03:01:34 pm »

'99 9R in Candy Lightning Blue.

Zero Gravity Double bubble installed.
Pyramid Rear hugger & "pass seat" cover replacement

Have a set of Gilles chain adjusters and Paddock stand adapters to install, as well as a set of GenMar bar risers ( could not find any Helibars, they were all gone @ Helibar ).

One of the first things I did when I got it was to remove all the decals on the body work.  Also not my thing.

Great bike.  Still can't figure out why the wankers in PB thrash it so bad.  The last article was about used sport bikes, and they put it up against liter bikes, and just trashed is unmercifully.  Sod the lot of them ! Twofinger

I like that seat cowl with the little butt pad on it.  Where did you get that?  I need to find one of those for my 03.
rasta
Too fasta

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2007, 05:09:28 pm »

I like that seat cowl with the little butt pad on it.  Where did you get that?  I need to find one of those for my 03.
   Me too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal