Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: 04 XB12S - You guys needs something else to talk about  (Read 3453 times)

2DFlyer
Wheelie Conflicted

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '04 R1150RT
GPS: Apex, NC
Miles Typed: 1258

My Photo Gallery

IBA# 54155 SS1000

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:22 pm »

So there's an 04 XB12S offered up on Raleigh's Craigslist by a mom and pop dealer who bought it up north.  Looks pretty much like every other one out there.  Good price - $4500/6K miles, story sounds okay but they have no idea what kind of life the bike has led.  It runs okay but that's all they know.  I'm going take the VIN to the local dealer for a check but other than that what do I look for?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1045634320.html

RIP
'04 R1150R '05 Speed Triple  '05 Duc ST3   '99 ZRX1100 x 2
'02 883C   '98 PC800    '82 JX750J Maxim  '82 GS650L
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:42:44 pm »

I'd try to find out what happened to the ass end of that bike.  It seems to have fallen off.  Probably didn't use loctite, is my guess.

Three points where two lines meet
2DFlyer
Wheelie Conflicted

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

IBA# 54155 SS1000

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:48:08 pm »

I'd try to find out what happened to the ass end of that bike.  It seems to have fallen off.  Probably didn't use loctite, is my guess.

Yeah.  I don't get it.  Everyone want to chop the back ends of these and Monsters.  For the money I think this bike is a blank canvas.

RIP
Advertisement

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:13:19 pm »

I'd like it if someone could slap some pods on it.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:15:58 pm »

They unbolted the rear fender.  It's actually more than a fender, it is a stylish part of the Lightning, which also keeps mud/dirt/debris from hitting you in the back!

I personally prefer the Lightning SS (Long).  I just don't think the original Lightning is as practical.  That rear "seat" is vestigual.  It can barely mount a small bag back there.  

Also, at 6k miles, it will need an oil/filter/gearbox fluid change.  Also, new air filter, new spark plugs, and Throttle Position Sensor Reset ($50-$90 depending on dealer).  If/when you ride the bike, pay attention to the brakes for any warping.  Engine should idle at 1,150 RPM, if not, needs simple adjustment.  '04's did not get the upgraded gearbox and clutch of the '06 and present so be prepared for a heavy clutch and notchy shifter.  Try to adjust suspension to your weight before riding.  Owner's Manual is important to make correct adjustments.  Pirelli Diablo/Diablo Rosso is the ONLY tires this bike will do best in.  Dunlop D208/Qualifier, although came standard in 02-06 XB's, are the WRONG tires for it.  Trust me on this. Buell had to use them on early XB's because of Dunlop's deal with H-D.  07-Present XB's all wear Pirelli Diablo.

Rogue
2DFlyer
Wheelie Conflicted

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

IBA# 54155 SS1000

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:22:43 am »

They unbolted the rear fender.  It's actually more than a fender, it is a stylish part of the Lightning, which also keeps mud/dirt/debris from hitting you in the back!

I personally prefer the Lightning SS (Long).  I just don't think the original Lightning is as practical.  That rear "seat" is vestigual.  It can barely mount a small bag back there.  

Also, at 6k miles, it will need an oil/filter/gearbox fluid change.  Also, new air filter, new spark plugs, and Throttle Position Sensor Reset ($50-$90 depending on dealer).  If/when you ride the bike, pay attention to the brakes for any warping.  Engine should idle at 1,150 RPM, if not, needs simple adjustment.  '04's did not get the upgraded gearbox and clutch of the '06 and present so be prepared for a heavy clutch and notchy shifter.  Try to adjust suspension to your weight before riding.  Owner's Manual is important to make correct adjustments.  Pirelli Diablo/Diablo Rosso is the ONLY tires this bike will do best in.  Dunlop D208/Qualifier, although came standard in 02-06 XB's, are the WRONG tires for it.  Trust me on this. Buell had to use them on early XB's because of Dunlop's deal with H-D.  07-Present XB's all wear Pirelli Diablo.

Ditto, ditto, ditto.  The S is my least favorite.  Okay, I'm being generous.  I really don't like the S much but might learn to?  Much as I like the R it's the wrong bike for me right now (I don't trust myself), and I can't afford the Ss, which is what I lust after.  Thanks for the pointers.

I know exactly what you're talking about the D208's.  A demo ride on those tires ruined the bike for me and I left the paperwork for an 04 12R sitting on the sales guy's desk.  Really pissed him off but I couldn't pull the trigger.  I've since recovered and spent a few good daze on a 12R and a Uly.

RIP
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:30:50 am »

The biggest drawback of the Lightning S is its shortened tail.  Ironically, it is one of the things that makes it look way cool too!  That short tail allows only very small tail bags to be fitted back there.  And if that 12S has its rear fender removed, it may even be limited a bit more.  Check to see if the rear fender can be re-attached.  It needs it to balance its looks and add some semblance of practicality.  Having said that, it hasn't stopped anyone from touring on it.  I've seen a few CityX's fitted for touring.  We are just comparing for the sake of discussion.

Of course, if you intend to ride the bike mainly for sport and commuting, it will do just fine.  Actually, it would make an excellent city bike and backroad weapon.  

Pirelli Diabo Rosso - the absolute BEST tires for the XB!  

Rogue
2DFlyer
Wheelie Conflicted

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

IBA# 54155 SS1000

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 01:09:01 am »

I'm rarely more than 40 miles from home so I don't need a road burner - though I have been looking hard at Blackbirds lately.  I'll give it a look.

RIP
2DFlyer
Wheelie Conflicted

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

IBA# 54155 SS1000

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 01:12:27 am »

I wonder what a Ss tail section and seat would look like on an S?

RIP
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4630

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 11:39:24 am »

Yeah, I'd change the oils (engine and gearbox) and filters, and maybe look at the primary drive tension.  If it's running well, I wouldn't worry about the TPS reset, nor would I change the plugs.  Don't mistake a bit of noise from the brakes as rotor warpage...the stock pads buzz a bit.  I don't find the clutch on my 03 to be excessively heavy, unless I'm in stop'n'go traffic (which only happens if I'm visiting the city, lessee, maybe once a year at most) and I prefer to consider the shifting as "positive" rather than "notchy." Wink  Then again, the engine is torquey enough that you can shift less often...

XBs are sensitive to suspension tuning, moreso than many other bikes, due to the steep rake and short wheelbase.

It's pretty widely agreed the OEM Dunlop 207s on the pre 2006 Buells just suck...I've run Diablos and Conti Road Attacks (both great) and currently have a set of Diablo Rossos waiting to be mounted this spring.

I've ridden both Firebolts and Lightnings, and I personally find the Lightning to have very good ergos--kinda like a big supermoto.  Actually, much better than the Firebolt I bought (and had to install Helibars on)...I guess I'm just a slave to fashion.  I'm not so much a fan of the Lightning Long, since I'm a short bugger and I like the compact size of the original XB. Smile

E=MC2
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 06:16:01 pm »

I agree with Koot.  No need to do the TPS Sensor reset if the engine is running well.  Running well means, idling consistently around 1,150 RPM, smooth response on pick up from closed throttle, no stuttering, etc.

Rogue
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 06:25:06 pm »

I wonder what a Ss tail section and seat would look like on an S?

I think the extra length is in the main spars and the rear subframe.  I don't even think the Ss seat will fit an S unless you swap the subframe.  Personally, I'd be more interested in putting the rear fender back on because that sucker looks pretty damn good and serves a definite purpose.  At least, it will allow you to put a bigger bag there, cantilevered over the rear section of the seat.  The fender makes for a handy bungee hookup.

Check it out...the rear reflector mount is also a bungee hook point.

Rogue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal