Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: My touring mods for my 07 ZX14  (Read 27336 times)

kwb377
Non-Professional Rider on a Not-So-Closed Course...

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: CRF1000L, 450 XC-W, 200 XC-W
GPS: B'ham, AL
Miles Typed: 332

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 10:12:08 pm »

I wound up getting the '08 I was looking at, and my SWM racks came in today (got a pair of used V35's off eBay a couple weeks ago)...really diggin' 'em!

~ IBA #55309
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

74Z1

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 03:00:08 am »

That bike is gorgeous, looks like it's in beautiful shape. Is it the midnight sapphire blue?

Can I be so forward to ask for some details about the purchase?
kwb377

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 08:46:55 am »

That bike is gorgeous, looks like it's in beautiful shape. Is it the midnight sapphire blue?

Can I be so forward to ask for some details about the purchase?

Thanks...yes, it's the MMS (or Bass Boat Blue  Bigsmile).

Sure, what kinda details are you interested in?

~ IBA #55309
Advertisement

74Z1

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 09:47:40 am »

How many miles on it? Dealer or private purchase? Run as good as it looks?
kwb377

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 10:56:30 am »

Bought it from an individual at the first of June for $7k with 6k miles. Came with a C14 seat, stock windscreen with Laminar Lip, and an MRA screen.

I had originally looked at it last October when I first put my Road King up for sale, but it didn't sell until January and I wound up buying a very nice Ducati ST4S that my friend who deals in high-end vehicles took in on trade.

I knew the Duc would be high maintenance, but because I hadn't done many miles the previous year due to work and divorce related issues, I figured I'd be OK. But I wound up riding it...alot. At the rate I was putting miles on it, I was going to be doing about 2 major services per year (every 6k = $$$$). I reluctantly sold the Duc, and contacted the owner of the Zed to see if he still had it.

Before I rode it, I had visions of it being unGodly powerful and totally unridable. Went for the test ride, and found it somewhat docile, yet deceptively fast. However, in third gear I rolled it on, and when it hit @7k...remember in Star Wars when they hit Hyper Drive in the Millenuim Falcon, and everything became a blur of colored streaks? That's what happened on this thing. It was going faster than my brain could keep up. Once you adjust your brain's "calibration", this thing is a pussy-cat.  Smile  On the backroads, usually 4th gear is all you need...it'll pull from down low out of the corners, and wind through the tach just in time to get to the next one.

~ IBA #55309
74Z1

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 10:13:56 pm »

Thanks for the information, kwb377.

I want to get one myself, but I will probably wait until next year, when I hope to be able to afford it. I think that color is probably my favorite, but I haven't seen it in person yet.

Enjoy the miles on yours. I usually don't like bags and stuff (spoils the bike's lines, in my view), but yours with the bags looks sleek and purposeful.
motordog1

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 01:17:15 pm »

Added some color panels to my Givi Cases. I sold my Versys and no longer will be switching them back and forth. 07 zx14 and 09 Versys both use Candy Plasma Blue. Kawasaki offers the panels as an accessory for the versys, they cost me about 100.00.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/colorcaseone.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/colorcasetwo.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/colorcasethree.jpg
Rammer

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '09 ZX-14, '08 Wr250x
GPS: north western, WI
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 04:08:36 pm »

I too used the Kawasaki color panels from a Versys. The '09 Versys was the same Candy Lime Green as my '09 ZX14.

I've added a C-14 seat, bar risers, and a ZG S-T screen.
I just got back from 2 trip this summer. I totaled 8500 miles in less that 30 days on the road.
I went to Oregon to meet a few friends. Then, after I got home I rode to NM and AZ for a road trip.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/erikramsted/IMG_0259-1.jpg
1wd

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 Ninja 650r
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 02:09:55 am »

Hey gang, I've got a few questions for you guys with the zx14r.  I'm slowly narrowing down my choices for my next bike.  I'm currently riding a 06 Kawi 650r and am looking to move up to a full size sport touring bike.  I definitely need the longer wheelbase, I'm 6'2" and want a better occasional two-up and highway bike.  I'm looking at used bikes and considering the zx14r, zzr1200, Yamaha FZ1 (Gen II) and the FJR, although a fairly low mileage FJR might be out of my price range.  I've ridden the zzr1200 and was impressed with the smoothness of the engine and shifting and of course the power.  I also liked that I felt that I was riding in or a part of the bike.  The bike had risers, corbin seat and aftermarket exhaust.  I just test rode a FZ1 that had alot of mods, the only thing missing was the bar risers.  The bike also was very smooth running, maybe just a hair less smoothness in the shifting department, could of been me also.  The power was there as well.  The FZ1 has a more upright riding position than the zzr1200 and I felt like I was riding on top of the bike versus the feel of the zzr.  I have sat on both of the other bikes at a dealer but  have yet to take out the zx14 or the FJR, but should have the chance soon.  

So, now onto some questions; Any things I should consider about these bikes that I may be overlooking?  Has anyone had the zzr1200 and moved onto the zx14 or compared both?  As far as I'm concerned all of these bikes have more than enough power, so that's not at the top of the list of concerns.  The  zzr1200 and FZ1 are probably more in my price range but I would get a higher mileage zx14 or FJR if I find a major difference in those bikes.  How would you rate your after market windshields on the highway?  I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this should get the ball rolling.  

Thanks!      
2WheelPilot

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 02 ZZR1200, 77 KZ650C
GPS: Harvest, AL
Miles Typed: 132

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 09:28:38 am »

Has anyone had the zzr1200 and moved onto the zx14 or compared both?

Lots of people.  Go here: http://zzrbikes.com/forum.php.

I think more people there own ZX14's than ZZR1200's now.
notch

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 ZX9R
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 08:39:18 pm »

I realize I am bringing this thread back from the dead, but have a question.  Just picked up a used 14 and added the sw motech saddlebag rack kit.  Would like to add the Kawi centerstand kit also.  I assume the Kawi lift handle will interfere with the SW Motech rack attachment bracket which mounts at the top of the rear footpeg.  Am I correct?  Do the people with this setup just use the footpeg bracket as a lift point?  Thanks in advance!
HanksXXX

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2007 ZX-14, 2000 Turbo Bandit
GPS: Augusta NJ
Miles Typed: 258

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 10:50:25 pm »

I realize I am bringing this thread back from the dead, but have a question.  Just picked up a used 14 and added the sw motech saddlebag rack kit.  Would like to add the Kawi centerstand kit also.  I assume the Kawi lift handle will interfere with the SW Motech rack attachment bracket which mounts at the top of the rear footpeg.  Am I correct?  Do the people with this setup just use the footpeg bracket as a lift point?  Thanks in advance!

Yes, you are correct.
I used the SW racks to lift the bike onto the center stand when touring.
The handle doesn't fit with the brackets installed.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal