Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: My touring mods for my 07 ZX14  (Read 34699 times)

motordog1

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:43:33 pm »

I have had a number of bikes in the last few years to include, 02 Aprilia Futura, 04 FJR, 06 950 KTM Adventrue, Vstrom DL1000, 08 Versys, and my 07 ZX14. Of these bikes the Futura was the best. IMHO this was the best sport touring bike ever made. I sold it fearing parts availability and the cost to maintain it. I miss it and and hope Aprilia will make a new Futura with a 1200. For now I am happy with my Versys and my 14, I ride the Versys about 70 percent of the time. I never thought I could have so much fun with just 60 hp.

Here is a picture I took just before I sold the Futura

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/IMG_3589.jpg

I will illustrate the things I have done so far to make the zx14 into a touring bike that I can ride all day. With my current setup I have the comfort of a FJR or C14 bike with much less weight and much better performance. To get rid of the nuttered bottom end that the 06 and 07 had I first used a GI Pro and then just recently had the Secondary throttles removed and had the bike dyno tuned.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/rightsidetwo.jpg

Here is my bike in sport mode, sans luggage, note the Buell foot pegs and Zero Gravity ST Shield

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/IMG_4098.jpg

With SW Motech detachable racks and Givi V35 cases

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/toptwo.jpg

Speigler LSL bar risers, Ram ball mount for GPS, Dirt bike grips from cycle gear, and Powerlet outlet

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/IMG_4102.jpg

Rick Mayer Seat

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/closeback.jpg

Close up of V35 Case and SW Motech rack

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/swmotechattachments.jpg

View of Attachment points of SW Motech Racks

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/front1024.jpg

The 14 next to two of my old bikes

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/motordog1/sporttouring.jpg
Miss this one

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 06:47:00 pm by motordog1 » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Envy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '11 Kawasaki Concours, '09 Honda DN-01, '09 Yamaha Road Star Silverado
GPS: Wichita, Ks.
Miles Typed: 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:13:53 pm »

Nice bikes. I may have to look into a seat like you have on the 14. Looking for something more comfy here in the near future as travel season is about to begin. Bought mine in December '08 and haven't got to do much of a trip yet. Thanks for the pics.

Bruce
kevin_stevens

Reputation -9

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR, Buell 1125CR
GPS: I'm right here!
Miles Typed: 5936

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:42:59 pm »

Supposedly the C14 seat fits with a bracket/latch change.

KeS
Advertisement

DJStevieB

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '04 Yamaha FJR1300 & '08 Kawasaki ZX14
GPS: Monroe, Washington
Miles Typed: 434

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:44:09 pm »

Do the LSL bars require a new triple tree assembly?
motordog1

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:59:40 am »

The Speigler LSL kit comes with the new Triple Tree, steel braided brake lines, mounting brackets for clutch and brake reservoirs, and the Speigler handle bar. Some have used a different handle bar to further raise the bar. Renthal makes a bar that works good.

The seat from Rick Mayer is works very well. He custom fits the seat for your needs and is good to work with.  If you use a C14 seat you can't use the rear cowling and in my opinion this seat looks bulky and out of place on the zx

Rammer

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '09 ZX-14, '08 Wr250x
GPS: north western, WI
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:07:07 pm »

motordog1, I have a question. Is that a reflection of the pipes in one pic or is that scratches on the rear cowl from the bag mounts??. At first it looked scratched but the more I look at it, it looks like a reflection.

And also, I notice you have a center stand, is that the Kawasaki one ? or aftermarket?

And lastly, how does the bag-rack system work with the handle for lifting the bike onto the centerstand?

Thanks, Erik
Squareman357
ZX-14 Warg Rider

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '06 ZX-14, '03 GS500F, '02 CBR1100XX (sold), '03 Suzuki Katana (sold), '08 ZX-14
GPS: Chicago, IL
Miles Typed: 2051

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »

motordog1, I have a question. Is that a reflection of the pipes in one pic or is that scratches on the rear cowl from the bag mounts??. At first it looked scratched but the more I look at it, it looks like a reflection.

Definitely a reflection of the pipes in the rear fairing panel.  I had the SW Motek rack on my '06 (have to get parts to install it on my new '08) and even though they hug REALLY close they do NOT touch the rear panels.  It's a nice kit.
Fav
Sportbiking Tourer

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1979 Kz650, 1999 Yzf600r, 2002 R1, 2006 R1
GPS: Upstate NY
Miles Typed: 323

My Photo Gallery

I4 lover

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 12:12:44 pm »

Nice mods  Thumbsup

JJP XX

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2007 ZX-14
GPS: Upstate, NY
Miles Typed: 73

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 07:52:53 pm »

Please tell me more about the Buell footpegs?  Easy to install?  Any issues after install?  

I have a Corbin seat with my ZX14 but the seat / footpeg relationship is worse as the seat is lower than stock.  For that reason alone, I ride with the stock seat more often.

Thanks.
 Smile
todao

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: ZX14
Miles Typed: 171

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:48:10 am »

Please tell me more about the Buell footpegs?  Easy to install?  Any issues after install?  

I have a Corbin seat with my ZX14 but the seat / footpeg relationship is worse as the seat is lower than stock.  For that reason alone, I ride with the stock seat more often.

Thanks.
 Smile

I had exactly the same problem.  I ordered a seat, my first, from Corbin.  It came back withe the bowl for the back, where your butt hit the back, about a foot further than I could ever reach.  I'm 6 feet.  WTF?  You'd have to have a seven footer for his butt to ever reach that far back for support.  Worse, they lowered the seat about one inch below the stock height.  Now why would they do that?  Like you it threw off all the ergonomics.  I measured exactly the height I wanted (i.e., the height of the stock seat) and also where the bowl would fit my butt and sent it back.  If I had known when I ordered I could've customized it.  I had to pay $200 more but it was worth it as it is now perfect.

I asked them why they put the bowl of the seat so far back that nobody could sit their butt against that.  they said to maintain the ability of the rear cowl to fit the corbin seat.  Geez what a stupid design decision.

On top of all that, Corbin promised me the seat within a certain time period, since I planned my trip around delivery.  Three days later the seat arrived.  Customer service sucks.  I even emailed Tom Corbin himself twice, never heard a word from him.  So I don't mind telling others how bad the service is.
rajflyboy

Reputation 378

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 2257

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:54:25 am »

Interesting ZX 14

I like the center stand.   Is that a factory Kawi part of something else?   Thanks!

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Squareman357
ZX-14 Warg Rider

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '06 ZX-14, '03 GS500F, '02 CBR1100XX (sold), '03 Suzuki Katana (sold), '08 ZX-14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 11:20:31 am »

Interesting ZX 14

I like the center stand.   Is that a factory Kawi part of something else?   Thanks!

Yup, Kawi factory center stand.  It replaces that underwing on the back.
rajflyboy

Reputation 378

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 2257

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 08:18:33 pm »

Yup, Kawi factory center stand.  It replaces that underwing on the back.

Sweet!

Cool Beans!

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
crashtech

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2000 ZX12R
Miles Typed: 433

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 10:15:27 am »

Nice bikes.   Put some color on those bags and that 14 will be awesome!! Bigok
CheesyRider

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2015 Honda Goldwing F6B, 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
GPS: White Bear Lake, MN
Miles Typed: 250

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 11:16:14 pm »

Nice bikes.   Put some color on those bags and that 14 will be awesome!! Bigok

+1
You wont even need to have them painted.  Just order the blue color inserts for Versys luggage.
Robbo

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2007 ZX-1400; 2002 R1150GS
GPS: Williamston, MI
Miles Typed: 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 03:46:29 pm »

Hey - Really like the ST mods.  Could you tell me about the Yoshi's?  My shop wants to sell me Muzzy, but the Yoshi slip-ons seem more my style.  How do they sound?  not that it needs it, was there any noticable increase in HP?  Easy on? No Mapping?  Thanks much!

'07 ZX-1400 - Yoshi TRC, PClll, Michelin Pilot Power 2CT.
'02 R1150GS - Extras
kwb377
Non-Professional Rider on a Not-So-Closed Course...

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: CRF1000L, 450 XC-W, 200 XC-W
GPS: B'ham, AL
Miles Typed: 332

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 04:04:26 pm »

I'll bring this one back form the dead with a question for those with the SW Motech racks...

I'm looking at an '08 ZX14 and am interested in the SW rack/Givi bag combo...every pic I've seen has them mounted with the stock fender. Will the rearmost bracket work with a fender eliminator? Looks like they connect with a bracket that bolts behind the license plate on the stock fender...would it be possible to just bolt the bracket between the two racks in absence of the fender?

~ IBA #55309
Squareman357
ZX-14 Warg Rider

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:17 pm »

I'll bring this one back form the dead with a question for those with the SW Motech racks...

I'm looking at an '08 ZX14 and am interested in the SW rack/Givi bag combo...every pic I've seen has them mounted with the stock fender. Will the rearmost bracket work with a fender eliminator? Looks like they connect with a bracket that bolts behind the license plate on the stock fender...would it be possible to just bolt the bracket between the two racks in absence of the fender?

There is a bracket that bolts on to the license plate holder.  My buddy fender eliminated his ZX-14 and just put the bar on between the bags as a horizontal stabilizer mounted to nothing.  It looked odd with the bracket floating above the rear wheel like that, but it didn't appear to be detrimental functinoally.  I left my stock fender on, mostly because I didn't like the way that looked.
Rammer

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '09 ZX-14, '08 Wr250x
GPS: north western, WI
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 08:38:11 am »

Yes, it will work. The cross brace connects the lower rear corners of the bag racks. I'm on a road trip on my FJR now and don't have any pictures of my Zx-14 to show you. The cross brace on mine hangs below my license plate.

Erik.
Silverbird

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '16 FJR1300 '07 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1625

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 01:17:28 am »

Most of what corbin does is for asthetic appeal. I love their seats, lowering your seat height makes the bike handle better for some, but it does decrease the distance to the pegs so it's all relative.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal