Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Save Red Apple Rest...  (Read 3687 times)

marc11

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
Motorcycles: 14 R1200RT - 02 XR400r
GPS: Orange County, NY
Miles Typed: 2743

My Photo Gallery

I drank the Kool-Aid; it gave me the runs.

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2007, 02:21:08 pm »

For those of you in and around the Hudson Valley of NY, I am sure you know about "Red Apple Rest" in Tuxedo.  Seems it was closed by the building department due to lack of roof repairs.  It would be a shame if this long standing place closed forever (been around since the 40's I think).

Anyone know much more on what is happening?

From the North East?  Check out: www.northeastsporttouring.com
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

JETSET
FJR Pilot extraordinaire

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa 2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 (R.I.P.) 2007 Yamaha FJR 1300
GPS: Central Jerzey
Miles Typed: 1106

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 10:34:54 pm »

For those of you in and around the Hudson Valley of NY, I am sure you know about "Red Apple Rest" in Tuxedo.  Seems it was closed by the building department due to lack of roof repairs.  It would be a shame if this long standing place closed forever (been around since the 40's I think).

The Red Apple Rest is a very special place to me, at almost 50 yrs old I use to go there when I was 7 yrs old.I went to summer camp on lake Stahahe for many years 10 to be exact from camper to counsler.When we were kids we used to sneak out of camp at night and make a 2.5 mile trek in the woods in the pitch dark just to get french fries from the RAR(thats all we could afford).I remember that no matter when we went there there were always bikers there and other sorts it was also a bus depot for the shortline,when you got fired at the camp we used to call it the shortline(you got shortlined).I understand now why bikers frequented that place.There are so many good roads to ride up there and back in the day you could almost campout anywhere.Years ago they were going to shut it down and if I'm not mistaken it became a landmark and thats why it remained open.I don't think they can rip it down but they can close it for bldg code infractions.If I had the cash I would buy it and restore it to it original retro look +open a membership for bikers+open a bar and a hiking club and dance/jazz club it has a good size parking lot.There is also access to the Apalachian trail there and several others in the park.Anyway I'm rambling I would hate to see it disapear.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 10:36:37 pm by JETSET » Logged

Life is all about ASS.You're either:
Kissing it,
Covering it, Busting it, Kicking it, laughing it off, Trying to get a piece of it, Or behaving like one!
slvrsprint

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 390

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 03:31:31 am »

Another tradition down the drain.  I stop there on my way home from the Midnight Run every February.  After riding all night long, I stop at the R A Rest for warm up, food and caffeine for the final 2 1/2 hour drive to bed in Binghamton.  I guess I'll have to find my wake up somewhere else this weekend.

That was also the starting point for the Ramapo 500 every Summer for years.  
I sure hope they can recover.

IBA #8027
Advertisement

nnjhawk02
The Rhino - Function Over Form

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '02 VTR1000F, '11 TLD Ruckus, '02 XR100R. Past: '82 R65LS, '78 R100RS, '88 R100RT
GPS: Pa. > Former NJ Prisoner
Miles Typed: 881

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 06:37:11 pm »

Yep know it well, for m/c meets and in high school there used to be a quarry (that filled with water) near there where we would go swim, I always jumped from the hi spot 1st, about 50'.  Well when we told people how to get to the spot RAR was always used as a landmark.

I was last there about 2 years ago & I must say it has gone downhill.  Someone needs to buy it and give it some TLC.

FREE Discount Prescription Card http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
R.I.P. AVO  
Relax its the internet
NYC Rider
So many roads ... so little time.

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 FRJ1300
Miles Typed: 16

My Photo Gallery

Highpoint Park, NJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 09:06:23 pm »

Oh yeah, the Red Apple Rest ... Great in its day but way past its prime ... degenerated into a roach pit.  As for renovating it, is there really enough traffic to support a place like that on that road?  Maybe.  Or maybe the zoning wouldn't permit it.  For sure, getting a night club permit is nigh impossible in that area.  More than likely, it'll become an apartment building or strip mall.

NYC Rider
'06 FJR1300
FARC #27
cole

Reputation 11

GPS: hudson valley,ny
Miles Typed: 234

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 10:44:55 pm »

How nice would it be for someone to bring it back to its hey day . It would take a lot of money but  I am not sure if it can bring in the money to sustain itself . From what I read it was quite the place along time ago especially before the thruway opened rt 17 was the only way to get upstate and you had to drive right by it .

Most likely it will not return to its former glory and another part of history goes to commercial development .
It is a shame that we here in the US are so quick to tear down the past and rebuild instead of preserving our history a bit more .
NJFJR

Reputation 10

GPS: Giants Stadium
Miles Typed: 181

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 01:30:59 am »

Lack of roof repairs?
Funny, that's not what I heard. I was there the week before they shut the doors, and the woman never said a word about it to me.
Last I heard, the owners just up and walked out. There are people from somewhere across the street watching the place. They were there in late Oct, last time I stopped there for a break. Even they had no idea where the owners currently are.

But as others stated before, stick a fork in the place....it's done.
Hey, Palisades Amusement Park was an awesome place too, but it's long gone due to "progress", as this place will be soon.

"It's better to be a racer for a moment, than a spectator for a lifetime."
'03 FJR1300 former ticker
'01 WR250F woods weapon    
JETSET
FJR Pilot extraordinaire

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa 2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 (R.I.P.) 2007 Yamaha FJR 1300

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 09:19:29 pm »

Lack of roof repairs?
Funny, that's not what I heard. I was there the week before they shut the doors, and the woman never said a word about it to me.
Last I heard, the owners just up and walked out. There are people from somewhere across the street watching the place. They were there in late Oct, last time I stopped there for a break. Even they had no idea where the owners currently are.

Hey, Palisades Amusement Park was an awesome place too, but it's long gone due to "progress", as this place will be soon.

It will be a very sad day.

Kissing it,
Covering it, Busting it, Kicking it, laughing it off, Trying to get a piece of it, Or behaving like one!
Geezer
Curmudgeon

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: '83 Yamaha Midnight Maxim '05 FJR1300
Miles Typed: 75

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 10:16:02 am »

The Red Apple has been in a state of slow decline since the NYS Thruway was  built. The fact that it has taken this long to finally close down is a tribute to what the place once was. There are many  similar places, though much smaller, along Route 9W that have either been taken down or sit unused today. Somebody with a lot of money and a great idea might be able to revive the place but would be a big gamble.
nnjhawk02
The Rhino - Function Over Form

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '02 VTR1000F, '11 TLD Ruckus, '02 XR100R. Past: '82 R65LS, '78 R100RS, '88 R100RT
GPS: Pa. > Former NJ Prisoner
Miles Typed: 881

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:56:17 am »

Lack of roof repairs?

IDK but Rt. 17 still gets a fair amount of traffic.  I believe the people who owned the joint were Greeks (wow shock I know) - they probably were tired of the place & obviously were not reinvesting any $ into the maintenance - I can almost bet they left suppliers with open invoices & packed up & retired back in Greece.

I think that location could support a good burger joint like Chatterbox on Rt.15/206 in Newton, NJ

FREE Discount Prescription Card http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
R.I.P. AVO  
Relax its the internet
JETSET
FJR Pilot extraordinaire

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 09:40:37 pm »

IDK but Rt. 17 still gets a fair amount of traffic.  I believe the people who owned the joint were Greeks (wow shock I know) - they probably were tired of the place & obviously were not reinvesting any $ into the maintenance - I can almost bet they left suppliers with open invoices & packed up & retired back in Greece.

I think that location could support a good burger joint like Chatterbox on Rt.15/206 in Newton, NJ

TRUE

Kissing it,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal