Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Thinking of moving Down Under  (Read 9634 times)

Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Thunder Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1558

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2009, 09:44:36 pm »

So, I am getting rather heartily sick of Ontario and thinking a change might be a nice thing.  There are some good jobs around Australia in my profession and my wife is more than willing to pack it in.  I was looking at Queensland, particularly Gold Coast.  So, what's it like to live there?  How's the cost of living?  Is travel affordable?  Everyone as friendly as it would seem?
Bill

"Gender Box"...Rocketbunny
"but in reality the optimal pace can only be confirmed in hindsight"...Gene
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Jules

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZX14
GPS: Australia
Miles Typed: 122

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 04:54:19 pm »

Well you don't say what your profession is, but for MDs and any allied health professionals that is certainly true. I live thousands of kilometers south of the Gold Coast, but visit relatives there from time to time.

What do you value? If the answer includes motorcycling all year round, clean air, low crime rate, no hand gun ownership, reasonably good education & health care system, a lot of personal freedom, plenty of holidays and a relaxed attitude to life etc then Australia is pretty good. But things are expensive here. One rear tire for my motorcycle costs about the same as a pair (unfitted) in the US. However, the GFC does not seem to have totally screwed our economy.

The Gold Coast area specifically is a tourist area, because of the great climate and theme parks there. It's kinda like Vancouver, situated in So Cal to my mind. I'd consider living about an hour away from the coast myself.

I recommend that you PM klavdy who posts here occasionally, he lives on the Gold Coast and spends time in North America very regularly, so probably has a realistic, big picture view.

Would I live there?  - yes.

Here is a link to a ride report from a recent US visitor I was reading last night on Pashnit http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22409- he seemed to like it!

Cheers

Jules.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:01:35 pm by Jules » Logged

May you live in interesting times...
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 05:23:49 pm »

That's good info.  I am an audiologist and I see that there are a few postings around Australia, but the Gold Coast one looked interesting.  I would have to consider my ability to liquidate here and have enough cash to relocate, but I would like to do so, or at least consider.  What about housing, what are the costs like?

Advertisement

Jules

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:11:21 pm »

The housing market is going down here as well because of the GFC, however, I'm not sure about Queensland in general & the Gold Coast specifically.

Here is a link to a major real estate website, you can explore for yourself. http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=sf&cu=fn-rea&s=qld&ss=&ag=&t=res&snf=ras&chk=1&lead=&ty=&searchFormSource=advanced+search&tb=Gold+Coast&is=1&pm=&px=&pme=any&pxe=any&cat=&o=def

Surfers Paradise is the main tourist city, but there are hundreds of suburbs & towns that are much nicer than Surfers. If you look at Google maps you will get the idea.

My wife wants us to move to a country town about 90 mins drive from the Gold Coast in the future. See http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=s&cu=fn-rea&s=qld&ss=&ag=&t=res&snf=ras&chk=1&lead=&ty=&searchFormSource=advanced+search&tb=Jimboomba&u=JIMBOOMBA&is=1&pm=&px=&pme=any&pxe=any&cat=&o=def

Why not just rent for a while and get a feel for the country, rather than sell up at home?

All the best with your research Scoop.

Cheers Jules.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:22:27 pm by Jules » Logged

Jules

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 03:53:50 am »

Scoop

FYI, the Gold Coast has taken a battering from the weather.

http://www.goldcoastmail.com.au/story/2009/05/21/gold-coast-still-flood-watch/

Cheers

Jules.

digger2

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: klr, road king, multistrada. Gs-Now Sold.
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:37:47 pm »

If you like beer, horseracing, football and smokin women down under is the place to live.
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 07:49:13 pm »

now, would that be women who smoke, or smokin' hot wimmin?

Against The Wind
No, I really haven't figured it out.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
Miles Typed: 6710

My Photo Gallery

Feel the wind...and set yourself the bolder course

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 11:41:04 am »

So Scoop, what's the latest?

My son just moved to Australia. He's going to surf for 8-9 months and then come home to get a real job. (I hope. I mean what if some young, hot Aussie babe decides to tackle him?)
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 10:43:31 pm »

That would be fun. I am still in limbo.  Moved to a much smaller house and am now mortgage free.  Need to do some travelling and some thinking.  I may be too old for surfing though.  But maybe not too old for Australian babes

Anakist

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Buell 1125r, GS500E
Miles Typed: 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 10:31:57 pm »

DISCLAIMER: I live in a small city of 50,000, 8 hours north of the Gold Coast so I am biased.

Personally, I detest the gold coast. The whole South East Qld corner is a debacle. The developers pay enough money to do whatever they want, regardless of the lack of water, terrible road infrastructure, retarded drivers, massive overcrowding, 40kmh speed limits on the nice roads etc. I have NFI what Ontario is like, but if I would avoid the SEQ corner.

The other side of the coin is there are a lot of people who live there for their various reasons.

James
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 06:57:39 pm »

Interesting info.  Ontario is like that in places, especially poor road infrastructure.  That might keep me away.  I hate crap like that.  

Against The Wind

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 07:34:30 pm »

There are retarded drivers in Ontario?   Rolleyes
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 12:57:35 pm »

I don't know if "retarded" is quite politically correct.  Perhaps you've heard them referred to as "shitty".  

Against The Wind

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 05:04:48 pm »

I now refer to them as "normal" since the disease has become so widespread. Crazy
Stray Cat

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2001 "Damn Sexy" Honda CBR1100XX
GPS: Isle of Cat, Pugetopolis
Miles Typed: 2573

My Photo Gallery

Weeeeeee!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 05:55:46 pm »

That's good info.  I am an audiologist and I see that there are a few postings around Australia, but the Gold Coast one looked interesting.  I would have to consider my ability to liquidate here and have enough cash to relocate, but I would like to do so, or at least consider.  What about housing, what are the costs like?

I believe that there is a points system for actually getting employment and moving to Australia. However if you are an Audiologist you might have a profession that is in demand and you might qualify. They have a good website that covers all the requirements. You'll have to google it, because I'm to f'n lazy to look for you.
BTW, I didn't qualify. I guess sys admin network geeks are a dime a dozen.  Lol
Pete Roper

Reputation 45

Motorcycles: Lots of Guzzis, Aprilia Mana.
Miles Typed: 420

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 04:23:50 pm »

The Gold Coast is like Australia's version of the worst bits of Florida. 'God's Waiting Room' populated by unimaginative, small minded bigots addicted to conspicuous consumption and vulgarity. Yes, you'll read all about the 'Wonderful Beaches' and 'Relaxed Lifestyle' (Hint. A 'Lifestyle' is something you purchase from a catalog if you haven't actually got a 'Life'!) and half a century ago the beaches may of been wonderful and it may of been a relaxing place to live but all that died a long, long time ago. As others have said it is a hideous urban sprawl with virtually no planning promulgated and propagated by venal developers and their crooked parliamentary mates. To be honest I'd rather rip off my one remaining testicle and eat it in a bun than even ride THROUGH the Gold Coast.

Like most places in the world most Australian cities are large, anonymous and filthy wens. If you like that? Fine! If you don't then there are many other truly fantastic places to live in this country and with a career in Audiology yor skills would be in demand nearly everywhere, you may of noticed Aussies shout a lot? Ever thought why? Bigsmile

Best idea would be to come and visit first and see what you think. Air fares are ridiculously cheap right now and if you need a 'touchstone' I'll happily put my hand up. I live in a small country town about 40Km from Canberra, (Which is the capital, NOT Sydney as many people think!) and some of the nicest areas in the country are within a days drive/ride of here.

Pete
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1539

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 04:40:09 pm »

I was looking at Queensland, particularly Gold Coast.  So, what's it like to live there?

I have family there and according to them, its bloody great.   Lol

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal