Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: V-Strom rear tire life  (Read 18590 times)

bogfro

Reputation 35

GPS: Northeast TN
Miles Typed: 566

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2009, 05:47:51 pm »

Just wanted to check and see how many miles you Strommers are getting out of your rear tire.  So far my Strom is eating rear tires for lunch.  5500 out of the first Trailwing.  And I've got 4000 on my new Pilot Road, and it looks like I'll be lucky to make it to 5000 before needing yet another one.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

AZstrom

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2012 Honda NC700x
GPS: Flagstaff, AZ
Miles Typed: 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:52:17 pm »

Tell me about it..... This friggen bike just blows though rear tires.. My new Trailwing is already toast at 5300 miles.. As were the last 6 rears....... Headscratch

Where there's coffee there's hope.........
DavidLSI

Reputation 12

GPS: Northern Illinois
Miles Typed: 4783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 07:49:36 pm »

I have always gotten 11 - 12K on the rear and about twice that on the front.  I must not be very hard on them.  The worst I had was on a Dunlop that I only got about 9K on.

Advertisement

AZstrom

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2012 Honda NC700x
GPS: Flagstaff, AZ
Miles Typed: 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:04:49 pm »

:headscratch:No kidding... Just turned over 29000 miles today and it is on its 5th rear and 3rd front... Am thinking of running pure street tires next go around to try and get some more mileage. Crazy

Where there's coffee there's hope.........
Canuck

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800, 72 Bonneville, 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor
GPS: Saskatchewan Canada
Miles Typed: 786

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:54:12 pm »

When I had my V-Strom, I got around 8000 miles on the rear. I used Metzeler Tourances, but even the stock Trailwing did about 8000 miles. The Bandit 1250 I have now only gets about 4000-5000 miles on the rear so far.

"Just like the sky, the road never ends." R. L. Castleman, Gravity
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Thunder Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1558

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:42:58 am »

Well, I found that the trailwings sucked.  I have been using Avons, and like them, but not much off road at all.
On the other hand, my latest Avon only has about 4000 km on it and it's done.  Of course, that may have something to do with the nail I picked up Sad
And, I had to do 200 miles on a plug today, hopefully I can find a replacement in Page AZ !

"Gender Box"...Rocketbunny
"but in reality the optimal pace can only be confirmed in hindsight"...Gene
Zerosum

Reputation 6

Miles Typed: 2733

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:12:09 am »

That's odd... I have 5200 miles on my Strom, and the stock Trailwing is doing fine.  Yeah, it's showing some wear, but I've got plenty of tread left...  Headscratch  I'm guessing I'll make it to at least 8000 before I need to start thinking about replacing it.

I do check the tire pressure at least once a week.  It's never more than 1lb low on any of my bikes.

People bash this tire a lot, but it hasn't let me down. Shrug  A few times I've hit some gravel or sand mid turn, had the bike go squirley on me for a moment, and the Trailwings hooked back up with the pavement.  In terms of my experience (and not what I've read on the internet) I have no complaints about them.

I am toying with the idea of going with a purely "street" tire when the time comes.  I hardly ever ride this thing off-road, and when I do, it's dirt/gravel roads... nothing a street tire can't handle.  This bike's "off-road assets" are its 19" front wheel and it's suspension travel, not so much the tires.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:15:28 am by Zerosum » Logged

Riding a motorcycle is perfectly safe.  And if I'm wrong, may my body be horribly crushed and mangled somehow.
bogfro

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:55:25 am »

Hmm... weird about the big differences in tire life.  I've got maybe 1 mm left to the tread wear indicators on my Pilot Road rear, and it's only got 4000 miles on it.  The rear Trailwing had 5500 and was all the way down to the indicators.

I don't really think I accelerate hard, and I always keep the tires at or above recommended pressure........so I don't know why I'm chewing them up so fast.  On the other hand, the front tire is showing significantly less wear....at this rate I'll probably replace the rear 3 times before the front needs it.

As far as street tires goes......I highly recommend the Pilot Road's.  Other than my rear tire wear issue, they handle and stick SOOO much better than the Trailwings, stick GREAT in the rain, and can do light duty dirt and gravel just as well as the Trailwings.

I wonder how much geographic location has to do with tire life.  Things like what the asphalt is made out of, etc......  I think I heard somewhere that Pennsylvania is really hard on tires.

That's odd... I have 5200 miles on my Strom, and the stock Trailwing is doing fine.  Yeah, it's showing some wear, but I've got plenty of tread left...  Headscratch  I'm guessing I'll make it to at least 8000 before I need to start thinking about replacing it.

I do check the tire pressure at least once a week.  It's never more than 1lb low on any of my bikes.

People bash this tire a lot, but it hasn't let me down. Shrug  A few times I've hit some gravel or sand mid turn, had the bike go squirley on me for a moment, and the Trailwings hooked back up with the pavement.  In terms of my experience (and not what I've read on the internet) I have no complaints about them.

I am toying with the idea of going with a purely "street" tire when the time comes.  I hardly ever ride this thing off-road, and when I do, it's dirt/gravel roads... nothing a street tire can't handle.  This bike's "off-road assets" are its 19" front wheel and it's suspension travel, not so much the tires.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:58:01 am by bogfro » Logged
Zerosum

Reputation 6

Miles Typed: 2733

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 03:09:34 pm »

I wonder how much geographic location has to do with tire life.  Things like what the asphalt is made out of, etc......  I think I heard somewhere that Pennsylvania is really hard on tires.

Yeah, that's true. Most of the roads in PA have the texture of a grinding wheel. It's amusing when you cross from MD into PA... the difference is night and day  Lol   MD has among the best-paved roads in the country (we sure as hell pay for it!), so that might be part of why my tires are lasting.

Another thing might be weight... if you're a big guy, I could see that wearing down a tire more quickly.  (No offense... Smile )  I'm no feather, though... I weigh in at around 190.

Riding a motorcycle is perfectly safe.  And if I'm wrong, may my body be horribly crushed and mangled somehow.
bogfro

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 03:45:39 pm »

Another thing might be weight... if you're a big guy, I could see that wearing down a tire more quickly.  (No offense... Smile )  

Sorry to disappoint, but I weigh a mere 172.   Bigsmile
Maybe the road texture really is the culprit here.......
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '10
GPS: Thunder Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1558

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 10:25:22 pm »

I had to put a 150/80 17 on the back, as that was the only choice in Pages AZ.  Makes the bike taller and changes the gearing.  Hope that this one doesn't last too long  Lol

"Gender Box"...Rocketbunny
"but in reality the optimal pace can only be confirmed in hindsight"...Gene
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 02:43:24 pm »

Yeah, everyone DEFINITELY needs to post their weight (and whether you ever ride 2-up). That...and "throttle hand habits"...make a BIG difference in tire wear. I weigh about 220lbs and am a fairly mellow rider...and I've been getting around 6K out of my rear tires.

I've only gotten around 6K out of *any* tire on *any* bike I've ever owned...but then again, I hate square tires...so when they get squared-off, I get rid of 'em (even if they still have decent tread left). No way I'm gonna rode a tire down to the cords!  Bigsmile

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 05:10:06 pm »

I agree PA is HARD on tires.  We have tons of tar and chip roads that are like 40 grit sandpaper.  Great for traction but it does chew up tires.  We also have lots of concrete roads that are just as abrasive.

I got about 9000 out of my stock rear Trailwing and should have changed it about 1000 miles earlier.  I'm only getting about 5-6000 out of the rear Tourance EXP's

Rob, I thought the stock Trailwings were fine also until I switched them out for the Tourance EXP's.  It was a night and day difference, especially in the wet.

I think I'm going to try the Continental Trail Attack next.  It starts with a deeper tread than the Tourance and gets good reviews on the Vstrom forums.

Stats:
180# + ATGATT
topcase and caribou sidebags on 90% of the time
riding style: moderate, with occasional aggressive outbursts  Bigsmile

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
keppyou812

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 00' SV650
GPS: Altoona, PA.
Miles Typed: 490

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 08:53:12 pm »

Stats:
180# + ATGATT
topcase and caribou sidebags on 90% of the time
riding style: moderate, with occasional aggressive outbursts  Bigsmile

Hooligan!!!  
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 07:40:09 am »

NO!

You see the sidebags cancel out the hooligan status.  It throws off the fuzz too!  Lol

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Skee

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 Wee, 2013 Connie
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1968

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 01:00:04 pm »

Yeah, everyone DEFINITELY needs to post their weight (and whether you ever ride 2-up). That...and "throttle hand habits"...make a BIG difference in tire wear. I weigh about 220lbs and am a fairly mellow rider...and I've been getting around 6K out of my rear tires.

6k is about what I'm getting out of the stock TWs, I'm ready for a new rear.  Thinking Conti TAs.

Of course, the front's not showing much wear at all yet.

And I must weigh every bit of 2 lbs. less than Scott.

But my rear is only worn around the edges. Lmao  NOT

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this d@mn keyboard.
BlueRidgeKat
STN Member Since 7-03 Contributor, Location Virginia

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 811

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 12:23:52 am »

I have always gotten 11 - 12K on the rear and about twice that on the front.

I changed both front and rear at 11K. Probably should have changed the rear at 10k.
bogfro

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 07:33:05 pm »

Holy crap!  I must be doing something wrong...... that tire made it to 4500 and was completely down to the wear bars.  Then it got a piece of metal in it, and it's now completely shot.

I changed both front and rear at 11K. Probably should have changed the rear at 10k.
The Shepherd
Dual-Sporting......FTW!

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 KLX 250S, 2000 CBR600F4
GPS: Woodstock Ontario
Miles Typed: 859

My Photo Gallery

Ridin' the crashed canary

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 08:57:11 pm »

DL1000, Metzeler Tourance at 19500km.

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn476/Fluffalupagus/RearTire.jpg

Ian

"Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life." - Billy Conolly
JIMLARCH
Old member

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: GSXR1000
GPS: NIAGARA FALLS, ONTARIO
Miles Typed: 1710

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 09:50:17 am »

DL1000, Metzeler Tourance at 19500km.

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn476/Fluffalupagus/RearTire.jpg

You got some decent mileage out of that tire.  What I can't understand is how you can have so much tread left close to the centre of the tire where the cords are showing.  The tire doesn't look very squared off in the photo.  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal