Poll
Question: What is the best bike  for 2 up riding. My wife and I are wanting to do some LD riding.
Concours 14 used - 17 (20%)
Fjr1300 used - 23 (27.1%)
Bandit 1250 bagged out new - 5 (5.9%)
other - 40 (47.1%)
Total Voters: 85

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Best bike for 2 up  (Read 9874 times)

Dans 650r

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 Suzuki Bandit 1250abs
GPS: Mobile AL
Miles Typed: 59

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2009, 10:41:30 pm »

Trying to figure out the best bike for around 10k. If you have another option, let me know. I want something that is comfortable for 2 but I can take the bags off and run around town and have a good handler.

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Wills

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 C-14, 14 SDR 1290
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 49

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 01:27:35 pm »

I bought my 08 Connie for $9000 last year with 1800 miles. This bike is an excellent 2 rider bike. You can still ride it like a sport bike and be comfortable...my wife really enjoys the trips we take.

Wills
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4457

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 02:54:58 pm »

Absolute best 2uper?  Goldwing or K-LT.  

Second best, IMO, R11xxRT or R12RT.  

Third best:  St1300 or FJR.  

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
Advertisement

Gsam

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ST1300
Miles Typed: 143

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 05:44:41 pm »

Just my 2cents, but for two up touring get an 01 or later Gold Wing and keep the Ninja for the around town stuff you mentioned. Personally i love my ST1300 and ride mostly solo however I've had no complaints from the wife when she's with me.
Dans 650r

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 Suzuki Bandit 1250abs
GPS: Mobile AL
Miles Typed: 59

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 08:42:30 pm »

Well, one of the guys I ride with has a Goldwing, and my wife likes it (I don't like the price.) The problem is that my wife said that I can only have one bike, so I want the best of both worlds. Also, I don't think I am old enough to drive a Goldwing. LOL.

Wills

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 C-14, 14 SDR 1290
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 49

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 08:54:14 pm »

Trying to figure out the best bike for around 10k. If you have another option, let me know. I want something that is comfortable for 2 but I can take the bags off and run around town and have a good handler.

This chap wants something that turns and you guys are selling him buses on 2 wheels. Lol

Wills
Coastourer

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
Miles Typed: 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 11:23:06 pm »

I have an 08 Kawasaki C14 and 2 up is effortless.
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 11:24:42 pm »

Used GL1800. not a better bike for serious long-haul 2-up riding IMO.

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
basco

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 09 BMW R1200 GSA
GPS: Colorado Springs, CO
Miles Typed: 3023

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:29:51 pm »

Yea, goldwing. Anything else really not good for long distance two up.

STN Nationals: 09, 08, 06
ESTN: 07, 05, 04
R4: 04, 05 R3: 08
Thunderbox

Reputation -59

Motorcycles: 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
GPS: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Miles Typed: 1099

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 11:47:57 pm »

I've been riding for 38 years.  The best 2 upper and great handling machine is the Buell Ulysses hands down.  Handles as good with 2 up as it does with one.  Great milage ultra comfortable passenger and riders seat lots of go and mine has been as reliable as any bike I have ever owned.  If you are looking for something to 2 up and around town go try one out.  I did and guess what happened.

Relatively few riders are lucky enough to discover that there is a lot more to a lifetime of motorcycling enjoyment than just going fast. Those who do... become "motorcyclists".  The re
timmybob4
'06 Honda ST1300A

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2006 Honda ST1300a
GPS: Southern Indiana
Miles Typed: 245

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 10:35:50 pm »

K1200LT or Goldwing or R1200RT

ST1300, FJR, new Connie

Old Connie, Suzuki Bandit

FizDog74

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2014 Pirate Ship
GPS: Ellicott City Maryland
Miles Typed: 978

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:38:24 am »

I'm not much one for the "ride what I do" posts, but I bought the K1200GT just for this reason (not ready for a wing or LT), as we do a lot of 2-up riding.. The ESA is great for 2-up, and the mega-watt alternator can run heated gear for two if necessary. I originally bought a RT, but found the boxer motor to be a bit dull for my tastes (I'm just use to inline 4's).

Medic09

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '76 Trident T160 (project), '78 Honda CB750K, '07 'Nord
GPS: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Miles Typed: 345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 06:36:02 pm »

I notice you asked only about what I'll call a 'full-size' ST type.  All three great bikes from what I understand; and all quite different.

Ultimately, you know it comes down to personal fit and preference.  I've been wanting an ST1100/1300 for years for full-blown two-up riding.  Have test ridden and sat on them at dealers plenty.  Looked at the occasional new Connie.  The wife is usually with me, and every time says, "keep the bike we have.  It serves us well, we like it; I (the wife) like it."

We're both pretty short/small.  I have a 30" inseam (5'7", 150 lbs. when out of shape).  She is 3 inches shorter than me.  So we ride a Sprint ST.  We got it after a friend, whose parents are about the same size, recommended it based on their experiences riding all over Europe.  First on a Triumph Trophy 1200, then on a Sprint ST.  They actually preferred the Sprint because of the size, weight, and fit factors.

For folks our size, the Sprint is plenty big enough to be comfortable for long days in the saddle.  For $120 a local shop redid the seat to custom fit us.  The wife sits up behind me, back to the topbox, happy as can be for hours at a time.  I can run errands or backcountry roads with a bike that is light enough for me to throw around parking lots and sporty enough take whatever is asked of it.

If all we did was take it out on the superslab, I might still consider a bigger bike; though the Sprint has proven we don't need it.  But my bike is my everyday transport.  Work and play.  Rides with the wife, or rides to get dog food.

Lastly, I have never bought a new bike yet.  (Well, we bought a dealer demo for my wife recently.)  The resale value on a Sprint (or Trophy for that matter, if you want carburetors...) is relatively low from what I see.  Triumph just isn't quite one of the 'big brands'.  So you may score a bike at a reasonable price.  I did.  I learned that from our car mechanic years ago, who told me to buy (back then) a used Mazda rather than a Honda.  They were every bit as good; but less well-known and so available for less.

Just my long $.02, to expand the category a bit.  Good luck!  Whatever you ride, it will be great if the two of you are happy and secure on it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:03:39 pm by Medic09 » Logged
Uncle Leo

Reputation 11

GPS: Franklin, NC
Miles Typed: 627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 06:00:01 am »

For 2 up comfort you MUST have a backrest for her, and preferably, a topbox with backrest. So says my pillion and if she ain't happy..... We ride the ST1300, but your other wish was to take off the bags for around town. You can do this with ST but your eyes will bleed and people will stone you.

'09 KLR 650; '09 Super Sherpa
Yankee Dog

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 12 Tiger 800 ..................... 05.Ural.GearUp ........................................ 05.BMW.F650GS
GPS: Decatur, AL
Miles Typed: 2398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 07:55:28 am »

OK, time to toot my own horn, but the Buell Ulysses fits this bill perfectly.  The baggage is hugh and the passager accomodation are pretty durn nice as well.  We are coming off a BMW R1150RT and the missus does not miss it at all.  She loves the triple tail backrest, says the peg positioning is better and the seat just as good as the Sargent we had on the RT.  With the triple tail you will not have to run with a topbox if you dont want and she will still have a backrest.  As others have stated, a backrest is VERY important when toting a passenger.  

As for me, I love this thing.  It is down on power from the Connie and FJR but its more than the BMW.  Its light weight and handling make it a blast to ride.  I swear this things makes me feel like I am riding a dirt bike sometimes.  Buell is really onto something with mass centralization thing.  The XT with bags is only 535 pounds, without bads it is down around 465!!!

Yes, if all you are looking for is two up then look no further than the Goldwing behemouth. And yeah I know guys who can hustle them through the twisties, but the BMW RT was more weight than I wanted to push around.  And let me tell you the weight does NOT go away when you get it moving.  

Good luck, dont you love bike shoping.  

Yankee Dog

Medic09

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '76 Trident T160 (project), '78 Honda CB750K, '07 'Nord
GPS: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Miles Typed: 345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 11:28:33 am »

One other thing.  If you are buying used, look at the dealers who DON'T normally carry your bike.  If they have one, they'll want it out of their lot.  Recently we stopped at the Harley dealer just to look around.  They had a used ST1300 for hundreds less than expected.  It looked and sounded good.  I asked 'what's the catch?'.  The sales guy, who I know a bit, told me honestly "it's been sitting here for months.  Nobody comes to a Harley dealer to buy an ST, so we haven't been able to sell it.  Lowered the price just to move it."

So, look in some unlikely places and you may find a nice deal!
zeakers

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '13 Triumph Trophy
GPS: Bear, DE
Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »

I wouldn't recommend the bandit for two up riding. It has ample power but lacks in space and comfort. I found this out the hard way and now the wife is asking me for a cruiser with more room.    Rolleyes
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '10
GPS: Thunder Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1558

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 01:18:51 pm »

My wife and I put many thousands of very happy miles 2-up on a DL1000 VStrom.  Don't discount that bike in your search.  If you are looking for something that can handle rough roads, lots of luggage and provide great seating comfort, it's a strong option.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:53:56 am by Scoop » Logged

"Gender Box"...Rocketbunny
"but in reality the optimal pace can only be confirmed in hindsight"...Gene
Jeremy Z

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
GPS: North Chicago metro
Miles Typed: 997

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 11:08:01 pm »

This is a tough call.

You have to decide what you want more:

- A sporty bike that is also comfortable?
- A comfortable bike that is also sporty?

I assumed the first one and voted FJR. My wife and I rode tens of thousands of miles together on the FJR. A bonus is that it looks SHARP without its bags, unlike some of the competition.

If it is the second, which may actually be more fun, it's got to be a used Goldwing. They are MUCH more comfortable than FJRs, which allows one to ride a lot further, longer, etc. They are also fun in the twisties, you just have to accept that you're not going to keep up with FJRs or anything smaller. They allow us to GET to the most remote twisties, even if we can't go as fast when we get there. (without the need to be a pussy and trailer it)

-Jeremy
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 03:09:58 pm »

I wouldn't recommend the bandit for two up riding. It has ample power but lacks in space and comfort. I found this out the hard way and now the wife is asking me for a cruiser with more room.    Rolleyes

New wife?  couch

I disagree. I guess it depends on your passenger. Did a shit-ton of touring on my old Bandit w/stock seat and girlfriend thought it was comfy enough  Shrug. Had a top box w/back pad for her leaning/packing pleasure.

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal