Poll
Question: help with bike choice
fz600s - 1 (50%)
suzuki? - 1 (50%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: getting back into street riding need suggestions.  (Read 1943 times)

danheck7

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 ktm 250xc
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2009, 09:41:11 pm »

need input on choosing a bike.  I ride dirt only now but used to ride a honda 750 and an rd400(crazzyyy bike) I have been looking at the zr600s and I even looked at the harley sporster.  My goals are something comfortable for 2 dependable and as light as possible(not looking for a Goldwing)Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

et

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '04 sv650s, '10 Griso
Miles Typed: 824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:25:31 pm »

Which Suzuki ?

It's only called commuting if you are using four wheels; if you're using two wheels it's called riding.
UHOH

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »

check some of the threads in this section from winter and spring...

you say you know how to ride, so all you need is street riding smarts; if 2-up is real interest then you'll eventually end up with a 750 or larger

without knowing anything about you, Honda VFR sounds about right, and within range
of probable acceptable used bikes being SV650 (<400lbs) --> Bandit 1200 type bike (<500lbs)
go to a dealer and sit on them all.  

and if haven't a license get signed up for the street license MSF training class,
usually a waiting list.   if have maintained a M/C license, be cautious (and ride solo) during re-entry to street riding.  
enjoy

Advertisement

danheck7

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:31:53 pm »

check some of the threads in this section from winter and spring...

you say you know how to ride, so all you need is street riding smarts; if 2-up is real interest then you'll eventually end up with a 750 or larger

without knowing anything about you, Honda VFR sounds about right, and within range
of probable acceptable used bikes being SV650 (<400lbs) --> Bandit 1200 type bike (<500lbs)
go to a dealer and sit on them all.  

and if haven't a license get signed up for the street license MSF training class,
usually a waiting list.   if have maintained a M/C license, be cautious (and ride solo) during re-entry to street riding.  
enjoy

Have my license and looked at the bandit and it seems to be a nice bike.  Any input on the yamaha 600s? Maybe a bit small for long trips?  Price range is likely under 5000.Thanks for the info
UHOH

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:33:17 am »

^^^ all of the used bikes mentioned are under $5000.  
maybe you want to edit your 'preferences' to ID where you live...

the good thing about getting a used bike is that it can be resold easily for not much less than you paid for it;
the difference easily written off as payment for learning what U really want, and cheap mileage use.  

Only suggestion would be to think twice on re-entry (to street riding & 2-up) through getting a 4 cyl sport bike.
 ...  but the FZ6 or FZ1 are Yamaha 'standard bikes' in the same category as the Suzuki Bandit.

each bike I've mentioned in these two posts has a track record of happy owners.   600's are fine bikes,
but again I'd choose a standard/non-sportbike for re-entry.  The ergonomics will be more friendly, but you ride
so it's your call ...

I'm gone now for several days, so have fun looking.  

Zerosum

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '88 Hawk GT, '97 VFR750, '06 V-Strom 650
GPS: Baltimore, MD
Miles Typed: 2732

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:24:13 am »

I normally recommend any of the 650 twins from Suzuki or Kawasaki in situations like yours.  But if you're dead-set on doing a lot of 2-up riding, these may not have the umph you're looking for.  It depends on what your and your passenger weigh, and what your expectations are regarding power and handling.  I can say that my V-Strom 650 does NOT do well with two grown men on it... I took my friend for a ride a few months ago.  Probably 370lbs total. The bike bore it well, but not with out a serious reduction of power.  A 650 can do it, but it's not much fun IMO.

You've got two opposing desires... you want light weight, but you want to do a lot of two-up riding.  So, power is likely to suffer.  I'd say your best bet would be something in the 750-800 range.  Maybe a Nighthawk 750?  

If you're looking at a Ninja, also consider the Honda VFR.  The 750 or 800 should have the power you need, and the bike is physically larger.   You can raise the handlebars on them somewhat to get yourself closer to a "standard" seating position.  It's on the heavy side, but that weight is nice in high winds.  It stays planted in cross winds.

If you're willing to go a little bigger/heavier, you have tons of options in the < $5K range.  Kawasaki Concours, Yamaha FZ-1, Suzuki Bandit 1200S, etc.  From what I've gathered, the Concours is a hugely underrated bike.  In the hands of a skilled rider, they aren't slow bikes.  I've been surprised at how fast the Connie can scoot down twisty back roads.  If your objective is comfortable 2-up cruising and "bang for the buck", I'd check that one out.  

If you're looking at the Sporster, how about a Triumph Bonneville?  That's a 790cc twin.  Bonnies are SO much cooler than Harleys, IMO. Smile
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:33:18 am by Zerosum » Logged

Riding a motorcycle is perfectly safe.  And if I'm wrong, may my body be horribly crushed and mangled somehow.
danheck7

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:35:23 am »

I believe that you are correct.  I am looking for 2 different bikes.  I will broaden my horizons on weight as you suggest to find a better middle ground.  thank you very much for your help.  I will check out the concourse, fz1, and the bandit1200
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:03:03 pm »

I vote 'Yes'

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal