Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Touring - CBR 1000RR  (Read 53395 times)

Wills

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 C-14, 14 SDR 1290
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 49

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 12:32:40 pm »

I really enjoy riding my 08 CBR, but for long trips...no way! To each his own and yes it's a 190/50 rear tire. I prefer my C-14 for the overnights, and forget riding anyone on the back of my CBR. This bike is easy to ride fast.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 12:34:59 pm by Wills » Logged

Wills
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

atypical1

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 01:05:30 pm »

I really enjoy riding my 08 CBR, but for long trips...no way! To each his own and yes it's a 190/50 rear tire. I prefer my C-14 for the overnights, and forget riding anyone on the back of my CBR. This bike is easy to ride fast.

That's very nice indeed!  Bigok

james
trapp120

Reputation 1

GPS: Portland, OR
Miles Typed: 124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 01:12:41 pm »

Alright guys, so I got a little creative with my 600RR last night and bolted my V46 Plate directly to the pillion seat. Works great. Oh and the stuff bungeed on the seat is my tent/thermarest. I'm a little undecided on how I want to pack that, but it does give me enough room to sit and move a little. Now, I need to find a small soft non-magnetic tank bag.

Edit to add a few more pics

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:25:07 pm by trapp120 » Logged

2009 Ducati 1198
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S (Red/Silver) 2008 Honda CBR 600RR (Graffiti) 2008 Yamaha R6S (Black) - FOR SALE 2007 Husqvarna 610SM (White/Red) 2002 Honda VFR
Advertisement

Wills

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 C-14, 14 SDR 1290
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 49

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 01:25:00 pm »

I see the tail of that MV in your garage. I just saw the new 1078 Brutale at my friend's shop..very nice. I almost bought an F4 but decided on the CBR because it was a bank repo...very nice price! The f4 was the pearl white/black, a real beauty.

Wills
trapp120

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 01:27:09 pm »

I see the tail of that MV in your garage. I just saw the new 1078 Brutale at my friend's shop..very nice. I almost bought an F4 but decided on the CBR because it was a bank repo...very nice price! The f4 was the pearl white/black, a real beauty.

The 1078 is ridiculous powerplant for the Brutale, the 910 wants to launch the front tire enough as is. F4's are great, especially the white/black one.

2009 Ducati 1198
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S (Red/Silver) 2008 Honda CBR 600RR (Graffiti) 2008 Yamaha R6S (Black) - FOR SALE 2007 Husqvarna 610SM (White/Red) 2002 Honda VFR
cyclebabble

Reputation 5

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 08 CBR600RR, 07 FJR1300
GPS: Northern Michigan
Miles Typed: 367

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 06:11:21 pm »

That's cool!  I am having an argument with myself deciding which bike to take on my trip out west.  The FJR or the CBR600.  The FJR wins in luggage, fuel range...but the CBR is just too much fun.  I hardly ride the Feej anymore.

Here is my touring setup for the CBR.  I have done 400 mile days easy, and could have gone more.  The only thing I would like is a bigger tail bag, the cortech isn't very roomy.

Alright guys, so I got a little creative with my 600RR last night and bolted my V46 Plate directly to the pillion seat. Works great. Oh and the stuff bungeed on the seat is my tent/thermarest. I'm a little undecided on how I want to pack that, but it does give me enough room to sit and move a little. Now, I need to find a small soft non-magnetic tank bag.

Edit to add a few more pics

trapp120

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 06:20:23 pm »

Nice bike! I can see how you might want a bigger top case, damn that thing is tiny. I wouldn't mind rolling a little lighter, but I HAVE to carry a laptop for work, and then I may as well just put my sleeping bag, an MSR bottle with gas, a couple pair of jeans, fleece pants/jacket, socks and some shirts in there as well Wink

Seriously, I don't give a shit if people say it looks stupid, the top case is amazing.

I'm looking at this as well - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/5125/ITEM/Nelson-Rigg-Silver-Streak-Mini-Sport-Saddlebag.aspx - though I'm not down with flimsy, and/or difficult to install/remove. I would be fine with the top case and a tank bag, but part of me wants that little extra storage on the saddlebags.

I need to mount a 12V..have you done that or did you hardwire GPS to the battery? Any issues with your setup? What kind of seat is that? Looks like a big ass gel cover.

Oh, and about the FJR or CBR. The FJR will make I94/90 - I80 (whichever route you take) MUCH more bearable, however, once you actually get into the West, the CBR would be a lot more fun in the twisties. If you're sticking mainly to slab, I'd go FJR...then again I don't own a FJR and I did bolt a fucking top case to my RR...so take what you want from that.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 06:24:45 pm by trapp120 » Logged

2009 Ducati 1198
cyclebabble

Reputation 5

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: 08 CBR600RR, 07 FJR1300
GPS: Northern Michigan
Miles Typed: 367

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 06:37:42 pm »

The GPS isn't wired in yet, I ran the wire while I had the tank cover off but haven't hooked it up.  I carry an energizer charger with me when I travel, so it isn't an issue.  I have to charge camera batteries anyway.

That is an AirHawk seat cushion, it came off the Victory I had a few years back, it fits the seat and helps a lot with comfort, though I still need to stop and stretch every so often.

Did you just take the covering off the rear seat and bolt the bracket through it?  I have the exact same topcase on the FJR.  Though I don't really want to modify the seat on the CBR that drastically.

I will probably take the FJR it has fresher tires, and has the better range, and can be fun in the twisties, just not like the CBR.  Though a waterproof duffel on the back of the CBR would be good, they have some nice ones at aerostich, and touratech...but pricey.  Sad

Chris

Nice bike! I can see how you might want a bigger top case, damn that thing is tiny. I wouldn't mind rolling a little lighter, but I HAVE to carry a laptop for work, and then I may as well just put my sleeping bag, an MSR bottle with gas, a couple pair of jeans, fleece pants/jacket, socks and some shirts in there as well Wink

Seriously, I don't give a shit if people say it looks stupid, the top case is amazing.

I'm looking at this as well - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/5125/ITEM/Nelson-Rigg-Silver-Streak-Mini-Sport-Saddlebag.aspx - though I'm not down with flimsy, and/or difficult to install/remove. I would be fine with the top case and a tank bag, but part of me wants that little extra storage on the saddlebags.

I need to mount a 12V..have you done that or did you hardwire GPS to the battery? Any issues with your setup? What kind of seat is that? Looks like a big ass gel cover.

Oh, and about the FJR or CBR. The FJR will make I94/90 - I80 (whichever route you take) MUCH more bearable, however, once you actually get into the West, the CBR would be a lot more fun in the twisties. If you're sticking mainly to slab, I'd go FJR...then again I don't own a FJR and I did bolt a fucking top case to my RR...so take what you want from that.
trapp120

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 06:43:39 pm »

Did you just take the covering off the rear seat and bolt the bracket through it?  I have the exact same topcase on the FJR.  Though I don't really want to modify the seat on the CBR that drastically.

Yeahhhhh, pretty much. Took about 10 minutes.

1. Pop off seat.

2. flip seat over, unscrew the two nuts, pop off the metal plate.

3. Using a needlenose or flathead, pull out the staples.

4. Pop off the wicked gay pleather cover and the foam pad.

5. Grab the GIVI plate (or whatever bracket plate you're using), line it up and mark, or use a tape measure (I did both).

6. Drill 4 holes with a smaller bit than screw and just widen it as needed.

7. Line the plate up on the ugly white plastic seat and drop the bolts in (that includes the metal plate and nuts you took off in the beginning).

8...open another beer.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 06:45:33 pm by trapp120 » Logged

2009 Ducati 1198
wiking

Reputation 0

GPS: Texas
Miles Typed: 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 02:50:53 am »

Tour on whatever makes you happy. I have an 09 R1 and will be leaving for Texas Thursday morning (from NW Montana) for a really quick 7 day run there and back. Put PR 2's on front/ rear (09 has 190/55 on rear and put on 190/50 w/ suspension adjustment to compensate) and will replace with same when these wear out. I personally like sportbikes and don't mind being a little uncomfortable. My only gripe is luggage options for the R1 due to the tail exhaust (ventura makes one but I couldn't get one in time for the trip). With the rear pegs set to the low position, I am comfortable at 6'2". Go have fun on the RR!
kevin_stevens

Reputation -9

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR, Buell 1125CR
GPS: I'm right here!
Miles Typed: 5936

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 02:59:13 am »

Here's a suggestion. Before you get all high and mighty why don't you go visit the Honda motorcycle site. I'll defer to it for specs regarding a Honda motorcycle

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/cbr1000rr.aspx

Chassis / Suspension / Brakes

Specgroup: Chassis / Suspension / Brakes -
Front Suspension    43mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 4.3 inches travel
Rear Suspension    Unit Pro-Link® HMAS™ single shock with spring preload rebound and compression-damping adjustability; 5.4 inches travel
Front Brake    Dual radial-mounted four-piston calipers with 320 mm discs
Rear Brake    Single 220 mm disc
Front Tire    120/70ZR-17 radial
Rear Tire    190/50ZR-17 radial

james

The tire profile isn't a huge deal in any case, since the rear ride height is adjustable on those bikes.

KeS
trapp120

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 01:53:59 pm »

Tour on whatever makes you happy. I have an 09 R1 and will be leaving for Texas Thursday morning (from NW Montana) for a really quick 7 day run there and back. Put PR 2's on front/ rear (09 has 190/55 on rear and put on 190/50 w/ suspension adjustment to compensate) and will replace with same when these wear out. I personally like sportbikes and don't mind being a little uncomfortable. My only gripe is luggage options for the R1 due to the tail exhaust (ventura makes one but I couldn't get one in time for the trip). With the rear pegs set to the low position, I am comfortable at 6'2". Go have fun on the RR!

PR 2's  on an R1...that sounds like a fun ride. What are you doing for luggage? Tank bag and strapping a backpack, or tail bag?

2009 Ducati 1198
wiking

Reputation 0

GPS: Texas
Miles Typed: 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 01:51:32 am »

I actually like the PR 2's. Not once have I had any issues with traction - even in a downpour. Luggage preference would be a Ventura bike pack system (just came out with 09 R1 model). Couldn't get a rack from the UK cause they won't sell here because the USA has a distributor (which would take 4-6 wks). So, I am going to have to try to rig up a duffel bag or a back-pack and see which will work the best. Actually made a frame (to keep the bags off the pipes) to use my Nelso-Rigg tailbab and saddlebags but I couldn't secure the bags to my satisfaction. Using a large tank bag, Kaoko throttle lock and XM radio. Should be interesting but I just don't have enough time to play around much - got to go and come back quick.
Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 08:14:44 am »

You might want to look into the SW Motech/Bags Connection Speedpack system.  

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/919/385/

And the Tent Bag option will give you even more storage, and keep your damp tent away from the dry stuff inside the main bag:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/923

You could also opt for the smaller Racepack, which can also use the Tentbag:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/916/385/

If you want to stick with the Givi topbox, I'd suggest a small rack on top for your tent/Thermarest bundle.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:18:40 am by Croak » Logged
ProMed

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2008 CBR1000RR
Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 09:16:22 am »

Cool thread.  I picked up an 08 CBR1000RR around 2 weeks ago for $6,983 from Southern Honda in TN, it came with a lifetime engine warranty and also picked up the 5 year extended HondaCare warranty for another $400.  I sold my 02 VFR last year for $6,500 so this was too good of a deal to pass up.  Compared to my VFR it feels just as smooth, but things start getting insane quick as you continue twisting the throttle!  

There are several guys on the CBR1k board who are doing light to medium touring on their bikes.  I picked up the Honda Energy seat which has gotten great reviews compared to the other aftermarket "comfort" seats available for the bike.  For longer trips I recently ordered Helibars and a ZG Sport Touring screen.  Have Sato Street hooks on the way as well which allow you to remove the passenger pegs while leaving tie-down points for your tail bags.  Went -1 in the front and +2 in the rear, since I do not need a 186 top end!

Of course, I am also in the process of removing the giant wheelie bar license plate bracket..

Liquidsilver
Ozark Speed Junkee

Reputation 15

GPS: St. Louis, MO (Wildwood)
Miles Typed: 1107

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 11:15:35 am »

I love touring on my sportbikes.  

As others have shown, you have to get creative with the soft luggage.  

Fuel range sucks, and when it gets cold or wet, you need really good gear to keep you warm and dry.

Sport touring tires are likely to do better in the rain that the sport tires, and especially the 'corsa' compounds.

Smile

"Try not to ACT like a senior member"
steve.m

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '73 CB350 four, '00 Bandit 600, '09 Ulysses XT
GPS: Houston, TX
Miles Typed: 2113

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 12:01:23 pm »

I took my 06 cbr1krr to CA and back on the stock seat with a back pack bungeed to the pillion.  can't speak for the new version, but my only complaint is the seat.  worthless for distances, otherwise a very good distance rider.

I LOVE pirelli diablo tires in all their various forms.  I've ridden the standard, corsa, and strada.  if you're going to log miles ont he cbr, put the strada on there.  once it's warm, it'll give you sufficient grip unless you ride it through canyons like you're on a race track (i did, back wheel got awfully squirrely, not recommended) and provide LOTS of miles (never did get to see exactly how many as the bike was stolen shortly afterward)

as for luggage..what do your plans entail?  if you have destination riding (as i did, CA) just pack a box and ship, carry only what you need for a few days on the road.  t shirts/underwear/socks can be washed, dried and reworn in a motel or even campground sink.  my jacket's 5 years old at this point, never been washed aside from rain.

if you are just popping around place to place, some bags might be a good idea...IIRC cortech makes a nice setup.

hope the ergo's on the new bikes work for you, too tight for me  Crazy

given to fly
skippy929

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1999 cbr600f4(sold),2001 cbr929(sold),2000 'busa(sold),2005 zrx1200
GPS: Jacksonville,fl
Miles Typed: 38

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 12:24:13 pm »

Last year I rode from Jacksonville,Fl to Indy (motogp) then to Canada (Ontario to Montreal) and back through the adirondacks to home for a total of approx 3600 miles in 8 days.  I used a waterproof duffel from Sierra Trading Post, a tiny tourmaster tail bag and a magnetic tank bag.  Sure I looked like a hobo, but it is a cheap set-up which allowed me to pack way more than I needed.  PR2's barely looked scuffed in (GOD those are great tires).

The 929 is comfy in comparison to any of the 1k's I have sat on, but it can be done with minimal discomfort.  One of the days was 1067 miles, and I wasn't too sore.  I recommend an Alaskan Leather Butt Pad.

Good Luck Thumbsup

IBA#37478
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 01:09:32 pm »

While I haven't ridden the 1000, sitting on it feels very close to the stock ergo's of my 954. Corbin seat (passenger w/removable backrest), heli-bars, and double bubble screen are all the mods I've made. I think it works great for touring. IMO the reason for touring is to find new roads, and what better on the beautiful new piece of asphalt than a sport bike!! Smile

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/blackhills_2007/IMG_0428.jpg

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
ProMed

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2008 CBR1000RR
Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 02:26:57 pm »

Great advice from you guys.  From me at least, thanks!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal