Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Avon Storm recommendation  (Read 1164 times)

FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

GPS: SE London
Miles Typed: 698

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:50:24 am »

The original set of factory-mounted Bridgestones on my 2008 FJR needed changing. Unusually, it was the front that wore out before the rear (5,500 miles). I never liked the handling of the tires, especially in the wet. I've used Michelin Pilot Roads before and they were nice tires. But, I always thought the set of Avon tires I had was my favorite. Trouble is, whenever I went in to have new tires mounted, the Avons were never in stock.

This time, the dealer had the Avon Storms on hand. What a transformation! Right out of the fitment bay I felt more confident on the tyre. The Bridgestone always wanted to stand up when it cornered and felt twitchy, like the road surface was greasy. In the wet, I just had to slow right down.

The Avon Storms just lay over without fuss and hold that line until you lift the bike up. I don't know if it's profile or compound that makes the difference. I've had plenty of wet riding to do as well. I am gradually increasing my cornering speed as I get more confident on the tire. I haven't had a twitch yet.

What a difference a decent tire makes!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

SpitfireTriple

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Aprilia Futura, Triumph Daytona 900 & Thunderbird 900
GPS: Bristol UK
Miles Typed: 447

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 08:40:22 am »

Bear in mind that you're replacing old worn-out tyres with new ones. I'd be surprised if anything didn't feel much better new than old. When I used to run Bridgestone 020s the difference in handling leaving the tyre shop with a new pair was like night and day.  (The Bridgestones squared-off horribly, the handling had become awful).  Having said that, I replaced a pair of Storms after 9,500 miles on my Aprilia Futura with... another pair of Storms. The strange thing was, the new tyres felt barely better than the old ones. They felt neutral and.. well, they just didn't feel very noticeable. The old tyres were still doing the job after 9,500 miles. I'm converted.  It will be a long time before I try anything other than Storms. Of course, there are plenty of good tyres out there these days.

15 countries in 40 days. Tanks, minefields, crashes and Kalashnikovs

Seek Truth
FJRmgm

Reputation 15

Miles Typed: 1753

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 09:19:11 am »

the last three sets of tires I have bought have been Avon Storms.

They have a well rounded profile on the front tire which makes the FJR just want to fall into corners so smoothly and well I just can't risk trying something else.

They are a great tire both in the wet and dry, which is very important to me and I get great mileage out of them.

Good Choice and ride safe!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal