Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: New tire section at Dennis Kirk is online!  (Read 5674 times)

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Only a Schwinn but not leaving STN
GPS: Starved Rock is my backyard.
Miles Typed: 3960

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:33:57 am »

Hi everyone,
Some of you may remember that a while back in ST.N V1 (August '06) I posted asking for what people wanted when buying tires online. I compiled a large list of great input from ST.Ners and a couple other websites, and the three of us web guys at Dennis Kirk got to work. We worked really hard to improve what we had, and I think we were pretty successful. It was launched late last night/ early this morning, and is now live!

So, check out the new tire section of the DK website, and let me know what you think!
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/subcat.jsp?store=Main&catId=404
Then click on "Shop for Tires".

This is kind of a first wave; there will be more improvements to come down the road, but initially we're going to fix little problems that creep up here and there before there are any other major additions.

FYI, I can't do anything about prices, beat it by a buck, and all that type of stuff, no matter how much I'd like to. Smile

Thanks for everyone's input!
Jeff
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

nwconk
Off with their heads!!!

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Concours, CBR600F3, KLR650
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 428

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:47:33 pm »

Off times I am just looking for price.  I didn't see any easy way of entering the tire you are intersted in and getting information.  Lots of steps.

--chris

--On the trailing edge of technology
jschmidt

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 01:27:26 pm »

Holy shit, that's tons better!
Advertisement

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 01:46:10 pm »

Off times I am just looking for price.  I didn't see any easy way of entering the tire you are intersted in and getting information.  Lots of steps.

--chris

You could always do a "Show All" and then filter from there, if you so choose. Or you could do a general keyword search. But if you know exactly what tire you want, shopping by Brand would probably be a direct way to go.

Holy shit, that's tons better!

Thanks very much!

Jeff
phoenix

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '10 CBR600RR
GPS: Ankeny IA
Miles Typed: 3994

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 02:31:25 pm »

Much better!

but I have to comment/criticize a little.

#1, it might be helpful to have a pull-down on a field like tire size. I typed in 180, and it found say 100 tires. I went back and typed in 180/55 and it found 38 or so.

#2 after typing in 180/55, and then selecting sport touring and tubeless tires, the field was narrowed down to less than 20. Cool. But most of the listings say the price for a given tire is (example) $121.99 to $184.99.  I click on the image of the tire, and it says that my cost is $166.99.  It just leaves me scratching my head, trying to figure out why it can't (or doesn't) show the real price on the front page. My whole objective was to be able to compare a bunch of tires on one page, and not have to go back and forth, write something down, to sort out what the price is going to be.

just my 2 cents. feel free to take it or leave it.  

edit to attach image
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:34:14 pm by phoenix » Logged

NATIONAL 2003, 2004
EASTERN: 2003
REGION 4: 2005 WCRM: 2006, 2007 CENTRAL: 2007 ST.N trackday at Blackhawk Farms: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 02:54:59 pm »

Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. That could be one of our future revisions. The problem is that the price range you see right now are for all of the, say, Dunlop Qualifier tires, since they're all grouped together. If we put your price on the product listing page, then other people may get confused and think that all the Dunlop Qualifier tires are that price, regardless of size. Know what I mean?

Believe me, we've racked our brains and had way too many meetings discussing these things with everyone giving differing opinions. This new system isn't perfect, but it's so much more in the right direction compared to what we had previously.

Your 2 cents is welcome and appreciated. I don't know if you recall this or not, but you were the one who suggested being able to enter in the size you want. I took everyone's responses, went through them, then we started discussing how feasible they were.

Thanks,
Jeff
jschmidt

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 03:20:45 pm »

You should have just asked me.  Wink I'd have said, "There is no point in giving someone the price unless you're giving them the price." That range thing is about as useful as burnt toast.
Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 03:25:17 pm »

You should have just asked me.  Wink I'd have said, "There is no point in giving someone the price unless you're giving them the price." That range thing is about as useful as burnt toast.

Oh... if it was only that easy.  Wink

Point taken though.
Jeff
marc11

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
Motorcycles: 14 R1200RT - 02 XR400r
GPS: Orange County, NY
Miles Typed: 2743

My Photo Gallery

I drank the Kool-Aid; it gave me the runs.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 09:21:16 pm »

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from DK recently including tires.  The site is a lot better, but what is better still is the customer service staff on the phone.  Calling them is NOT a chore, it is so pleasant.  Yeah, beat it by a buck is a bit of a PITA, but they are true to their word and beat anyones prices and when you add that to super nice customer service staff, it is hard to beat.

They are not Newenogh great, but man, they carry a TON of stuff IN STOCK and I've yet to have anything take longer than 4 days from order to my door step.

Keep up the good work....an NO I am not affiliated with DK.

From the North East?  Check out: www.northeastsporttouring.com
RowdyRed94
Has no parade mode

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Motorcycles: '02 Bandit 1200 S, '02 Honda XR50R
GPS: St. Cloud, MN
Miles Typed: 531

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 10:51:33 am »

I realize you can't touch prices, buuuut...

SW Moto
Pirelli Strada 180/55ZR-17 Rear
Code: 03020063
Price: $129.95

Dennis Kirk Part #: 542871
Manufacturer Part #: 1527600
    * Pirelli Diablo Strada Radial Tire
Your Price: $167.99

I would gladly pay even $10 more to buy from the store up the road (I'm in Minnesota) and not hassle with price-matching. At times I'd pick things up on my way through town. Just throwing it out there.

(in the mail),
     'Busa shock ~ Racetech forks ~ Holeshot stage 1 & pipe ~ Hella headlights ~
naustin

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1411

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 11:05:12 am »

Shit dude, I just ordered a set of BT021s last night from AMT.  I'd bought from them before and was impressed with their prices and service.  But, I would have given Dennis Kirk a chance, because I'd bought stuff there before too.

Do the tires ship from MN like other stuff.  I'm so close that shipping takes hours rather than days when I order from Dennis Kirk.  That's a huge plus for me.

Nick

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 11:58:27 am »

I realize you can't touch prices, buuuut...

SW Moto
Pirelli Strada 180/55ZR-17 Rear
Code: 03020063
Price: $129.95

Dennis Kirk Part #: 542871
Manufacturer Part #: 1527600
    * Pirelli Diablo Strada Radial Tire
Your Price: $167.99

I would gladly pay even $10 more to buy from the store up the road (I'm in Minnesota) and not hassle with price-matching. At times I'd pick things up on my way through town. Just throwing it out there.

Price matching is the only way we can beat that price. I'd love to have the pull to say, "Lower the prices." but unfortunately I can't.

Shit dude, I just ordered a set of BT021s last night from AMT.  I'd bought from them before and was impressed with their prices and service.  But, I would have given Dennis Kirk a chance, because I'd bought stuff there before too.

Do the tires ship from MN like other stuff.  I'm so close that shipping takes hours rather than days when I order from Dennis Kirk.  That's a huge plus for me.

Nick

Everything ships from our warehouse in Rush City. Even tires.

Jeff
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 11:14:20 am »

Price matching is the only way we can beat that price. I'd love to have the pull to say, "Lower the prices." but unfortunately I can't.

Everything ships from our warehouse in Rush City. Even tires.

Jeff

And let me attest to the fact that both work quite well.  Due to the Beat It By A Buck thing (which takes all of five minutes out of one's busy day) and the fact that DK is only a day or two away from Chicago via UPS ground, I haven't bought tires from anywhere but DK for years.

Keep up the good work, Jeff.  Thumbsup

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 01:03:07 pm »

And let me attest to the fact that both work quite well.  Due to the Beat It By A Buck thing (which takes all of five minutes out of one's busy day) and the fact that DK is only a day or two away from Chicago via UPS ground, I haven't bought tires from anywhere but DK for years.

Keep up the good work, Jeff.  Thumbsup

Thanks Dred,
I have since moved back to IL from MN, so I no longer work at DK. But I still talk to my former coworkers all the time and will always miss working there. They're a good group of people.

AND, right before I left, tire prices were being lowered across the board. They're much more competitive now without Beat it by a Buck.

Jeff
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 08:14:55 pm »

Thanks Dred,
I have since moved back to IL

Bring the CB550 with you?  If so, where you at?   Cool

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 08:53:48 pm »

Bring the CB550 with you?  If so, where you at?   Cool

Yep, the 550 made the trek too. Dang thing is leaking oil though. I was born, raised, and now live again in Ottawa. I basically learned to ride on IL 71 and Gentleman Road.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal