Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Brake Bleeding Without Spillage?  (Read 4883 times)

Castaway

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 V-Strom
GPS: New York
Miles Typed: 1336

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:57:35 am »

Has anyone got tips for old-school brake bleeding (speedbleeder, hose, wrench, hand) without spilling fluid when pulling the hoses off of the calipers? I tried crimping the hose but the fluid still poured out.

I think part of my problem today was the way I routed the bleeding hoses. It was in such a way that I couldn't immediately raise the hose end up - I won't do that again.

In any case, if you've got a great technique down for minimal/no spillage, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

I've seen the truth, and it didn't make sense.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2 VFRs & a GTS
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2850

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 12:23:05 pm »

You're always gonna have at least a little spillage. Just keep a bottle of Windex handy to soak the area down so the fluid won't attack the paint or soak into the pads.
Roaddog

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZZR 1200 '71 Norton Commando
Miles Typed: 832

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 02:25:40 pm »

Brake hoses won't crimp, even the cheesy factory rubber-covered ones. If you take the hoses off the calipers or M/C, you're gonna get some leakage. I usually wrap the fittings in rags to keep from making too big a mess, but the crap still gets on the hands.

Coming to a road near you
Advertisement

Ack535

Reputation 75

Motorcycles: 1998 CBR1100XX, 2005 CRF250X, 05 FJR R.I.P.
GPS: Williamston MI USA
Miles Typed: 949

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:49:45 pm »

As far as I am concerned, spped bleeders are the only way to go. Well worth the investment!

Pete

Pete
kevin_stevens

Reputation -9

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR, Buell 1125CR
GPS: I'm right here!
Miles Typed: 5936

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 03:21:10 pm »

Has anyone got tips for old-school brake bleeding (speedbleeder, hose, wrench, hand) without spilling fluid when pulling the hoses off of the calipers? I tried crimping the hose but the fluid still poured out.

I think part of my problem today was the way I routed the bleeding hoses. It was in such a way that I couldn't immediately raise the hose end up - I won't do that again.

In any case, if you've got a great technique down for minimal/no spillage, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

I guess I don't understand the problem.  Clear tubing on the bleed screw, making a natural slight arch and curving down into the 20oz Diet Coke bottle.  Finish the last bleed stroke, tighten the bleed screw.  All but a few ccs of the fluid in the tube has already passed the arch and drained down into the bottle.  Pinch the tubing immediately above/at the bleed screw, pull it off and  elevate it a couple of inches so that any remaining drops drain into the bottle.  Wipe off any residue on the screw, it shouldn't even be a whole drop.  

If you're done, hold the end  of the hose up and flick it with your finger a couple of times as you pull it out of the bottle, wipe it and stash in in a baggie. Cap the Diet Coke bottle and you're done.

If you're not done, stick the screw end of the tube into the bottle so it doesn't drip, and move on to your next screw.

What am I missing?   Headscratch

KeS
photomd
Thread Killa

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '06, '08
GPS: In the Land of Cotton (SC)
Miles Typed: 2146

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 03:42:51 pm »

Mityvac Brake Bleeding Kit. I've had mine since '94, and it works great although I think I only paid $35.

98 CR250
96 R1100RS
88 R100RS 79 V-1000SP
Metal Cutter

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2008 FJR , 2005 SV650 track wench, CR250
GPS: Granville NY
Miles Typed: 90

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 04:05:31 pm »

I guess I don't understand the problem.  Clear tubing on the bleed screw, making a natural slight arch and curving down into the 20oz Diet Coke bottle.  Finish the last bleed stroke, tighten the bleed screw.  All but a few ccs of the fluid in the tube has already passed the arch and drained down into the bottle.  Pinch the tubing immediately above/at the bleed screw, pull it off and  elevate it a couple of inches so that any remaining drops drain into the bottle.  Wipe off any residue on the screw, it shouldn't even be a whole drop.  

If you're done, hold the end  of the hose up and flick it with your finger a couple of times as you pull it out of the bottle, wipe it and stash in in a baggie. Cap the Diet Coke bottle and you're done.

If you're not done, stick the screw end of the tube into the bottle so it doesn't drip, and move on to your next screw.

KeS

I do the same except I make a complete loop of clear hose. This method gives the best results IMO.

YMMV

Bjorn Toulouse
Destructive Tester

Reputation -1

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: '78 KZ750B, '07 Tiger1050, '07 Bonneville Blaque
GPS: N.E. oHIo
Miles Typed: 2580

My Photo Gallery

triplelicious

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 05:39:04 pm »

I don't think you're missing anything. Brake/clutch bleeding is a pretty simple process.
However, there are people who should not be messing with things mechanical.

Rex

Dood, interesting bike. Did you customize it yourself, or was it all f*cked up when you bought it?
Roaddog

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZZR 1200 '71 Norton Commando
Miles Typed: 832

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 09:54:20 am »

I guess I don't understand the problem.

KeS

You're missing the part of the original post that mentions removing the brake hoses from the calipers.

Coming to a road near you
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 10:05:43 am »

Putting some old nuts. bolts or pennies in the collection bottle will make it less prone to tipping over.
Don't forget to dispose of the old fluid properly. I CLEARLY mark a 1 liter bottle and save it up.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
rgbeard

Reputation 45

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2001 Speed Triple, 2001 Trophy 1200, 2003 GSXR 1000
GPS: Phoenix, AZ and Ensenada, Mexico
Miles Typed: 3961

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 01:15:01 pm »

Putting some old nuts. bolts or pennies in the collection bottle will make it less prone to tipping over.
Don't forget to dispose of the old fluid properly. I CLEARLY mark a 1 liter bottle "Iced Tea" and save it for my friends.

FTFY

The distance between “Impossible!” and “All we need is a free weekend and some kind of rocket motor” is about 10 drinks.
ajf

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 06 FJR1300AE, 09 CBR600RR ABS
GPS: Edmonton, Alberta
Miles Typed: 560

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 02:24:19 pm »

Mityvac Brake Bleeding Kit. I've had mine since '94, and it works great although I think I only paid $35.

I just bought one and tried to use it.  I could use some help!

I applied vacuum, then cracked the bleeder screw.  Immediately the vacuum sucked air past the bleeder screw into the caliper.  The instructions say this doesn't matter, but it seems to me to be creating the exact problem I'm trying to solve.  If I crack the bleeder screw only a tiny fraction of a turn (also as suggested by the instructions), the bubbles stop but the brake fluid comes out so slowly that there can't be much suction applied to the system.  The final suggestion in the instructions is to remove all the bleeder screws and wrap them with teflon tape so you can crack them a bit without leaking air into the caliper.  That's way more work than it's worth, so I went back to the manual method (which has always worked OK for me) and I'm planning to throw out the Mityvac.  Anyone got any suggestions that would make it useful?

Finally, the instructions say nothing about whether the brake should be on or off.  I tried it both ways and saw no difference (since the system wasn't working for me anyways), but surely both ways can't be right.
kevin_stevens

Reputation -9

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR, Buell 1125CR
GPS: I'm right here!
Miles Typed: 5936

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 02:31:14 pm »

I just bought one and tried to use it.  I could use some help!

I applied vacuum, then cracked the bleeder screw.  Immediately the vacuum sucked air past the bleeder screw into the caliper.  The instructions say this doesn't matter, but it seems to me to be creating the exact problem I'm trying to solve.  If I crack the bleeder screw only a tiny fraction of a turn (also as suggested by the instructions), the bubbles stop but the brake fluid comes out so slowly that there can't be much suction applied to the system.  The final suggestion in the instructions is to remove all the bleeder screws and wrap them with teflon tape so you can crack them a bit without leaking air into the caliper.  That's way more work than it's worth, so I went back to the manual method (which has always worked OK for me) and I'm planning to throw out the Mityvac.  Anyone got any suggestions that would make it useful?

Finally, the instructions say nothing about whether the brake should be on or off.  I tried it both ways and saw no difference (since the system wasn't working for me anyways), but surely both ways can't be right.

That's one of the main reasons I don't normally screw around with MityVacs.  As long as the bubbles are sucking past the bleeder screw threads, they actually aren't going *into* the system, so as they say it *shouldn't* be a problem - but how can you tell when you have all the system bubbles out?  I use them on recalcitrant automotive systems, but almost never on a motorcycle.

The brake should be "off", in that mode the connection to the reservoir is open.  When you squeeze the brake lever/pedal, the master cylinder piston blocks that connection off.

KeS
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 02:36:14 pm »

Put a little grease around the bleeder threads to seal 'em up for bleeding.
photomd
Thread Killa

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '06, '08
GPS: In the Land of Cotton (SC)
Miles Typed: 2146

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 02:37:16 pm »

1. Find the fitting that fits the bleed screw the tightest. I find the ones that fit IN the opening do better than the ones that fit OVER the opening.

2. pull all the old fluid outta the caliper and refill with new

3. put a vacuum on the hose to the bleed screw. I usually pump it to 10-20 psi. It should hold that reading, if not, readjust so it is a tight fit.

4. loosen the bleed screw. I put the wrench on before I connect the hose so I can tighten and loosen with everything connected. I'll crack it open as much as I can: usually about 3/4 of a turn. You'll get airbubbles, but you have to keep a vacuum on it as the air is usually entering from around the threads on the bleed screw. Watch you're level in the master cylinder. Watch the gauge and don't let the vacuum drop near 0.

98 CR250
96 R1100RS
88 R100RS 79 V-1000SP
ajf

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 06 FJR1300AE, 09 CBR600RR ABS
GPS: Edmonton, Alberta
Miles Typed: 560

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 02:47:36 pm »

Put a little grease around the bleeder threads to seal 'em up for bleeding.

Hey, that just might work!  The instructions also mentioned using grease instead of teflon tape to seal the threads - also too much work - but what I think you're saying is to goop some grease around the screw before bleeding, then clean it off when done.  Damn, I should have thought of this myself!

A Mityvac would solve the OP's problem too.  When done bleeding, close the screw and apply vacuum, then pull off the hose - the vacuum sucks the fluid into the hose with minimal slopping.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:30:43 pm by ajf » Logged
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 02:50:44 pm »

Any grease that does get into the threads will also help keep the bleeders from freezing up too. Cool
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 06:08:35 pm »

Grease o the bleeder screws??

Side note: If petroleum products get in the hydraulic system the rubber seals will expand--you place yourr bets and take your chances  :pokestick:

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 08:22:46 pm »

If your brake calipers are sucking in trace amounts of grease off the bleeder threads you have bigger problems than grease in the fluid. Lol
Jes_VFR

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2001 Honda VFR, 2002 Honda RVT1000 SP2
GPS: NJ, USA
Miles Typed: 1747

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 11:56:46 pm »

Grease o the bleeder screws??

Side note: If petroleum products get in the hydraulic system the rubber seals will expand--you place yourr bets and take your chances  :pokestick:

I usually just use the synthetic hi-temp disk brake grease that you are supposed to use on slider pins and can use on caliper pistons for setting seals.

Never had a problem with it on any car or bike.

JohnS
2001 VFR 
2002 RC51  forging my body in the fires of my will  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal