Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Vacation planning early this year  (Read 6048 times)

Gixster
You're riding WHERE?!

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 102

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2006, 02:29:27 pm »

Tickets for the MotoGP at Mugello, Italy went on sale today, so..........  Bigsmile

Now that tickets are taken care of, I want any and all suggestions for what to see, etc. that I might have overlooked.

Outside of the Sat/Sun for the races, we will be in Europe for an additional 9 or 10 days.

I've already printed out the map and schedules for the Eurail, and here's what I tentatively have in mind so far.

After the races are over, the priority stops are Rome and Paris.  If time allows, I'd also like to get to Venice and London.

The places I for sure want to see are:

Eiffel Tower, Arc du Triomphe, The Louvre, the Coliseum, Ducati factory, Aprilia factory, Ferrari factory.  That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.  What else is there to see that might not show up on an immediate search of the tour guides?  Bigsmile

IBA #18858

2000 TLR - corner carving fool  29k and counting 2003 Hayabusa - long distance fool  35k and counting
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: ST3, 954RR
GPS: Northern Colorado
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 03:08:38 pm »

Are you renting a bike?

BLOG:excessivelocity.blogspot.com
atypical1

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 03:14:59 pm »

So, from personal experience of both living and traveling in Europe - Rent a bike! Especially in Italy. Nobody expects a tourist to ride a bike over there and you get treated really well (at least that was my experience in travelling from Rome to Naples to Tropea). You can ride anywhere (including sidewalks), park anywhere (including sidewalks), and just get around better than if you drive. It is nice to have transportation while you are over there too.

Rome and Paris are in opposite directions. Truthfully you could easily spend 9 - 10 days riding around Italy and have a WONDERFUL time. It is hard trying to fit too much into one vacation. Is this your first time to Europe or Italy?
Advertisement

GilaMonster
Retired Rider

Reputation 8

GPS: Tucson, AZ
Miles Typed: 317

My Photo Gallery

Retired Rider

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 03:16:18 pm »

Quote from: Gixster;6454
The places I for sure want to see are:

Eiffel Tower, Arc du Triomphe, The Louvre, the Coliseum, Ducati factory, Aprilia factory, Ferrari factory. That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head. What else is there to see that might not show up on an immediate search of the tour guides? Bigsmile

I did a tour of Italy last year, and the Ducati factory is a must.  They do a great job, and you get to see one each of all of their racing machine for the last 40-50 years.  I wasn't able to connect for Aprilia, so I can't be any help there.  From my experience, I wouldn't suggest that you go to Ferrari.  There is no factory tour unless you own one or have one on order.  The museum across the street is expensive and not that interesting.  

Suggestion, while you are near Ducati (Bologna), spend a little time in Florence...Coffee, wine, and a bit to eat is a great experience.

Craig

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 03:20:36 pm »

Quote from: vstromtourer;6524
To spare you the disappointment you can send me your tickets for the Moto GP and the flight over.  I live a boring an uninteresting life, so having to suffer through Italy and France will be no big strain.

Lol

Um.  No.  Lol  Good try though!  Bigsmile

Quote from: VIVID1;6536
Are you renting a bike?

I was thinking about it, but I haven't made up my mind yet.  I haven't found a place near Florence yet that rents bikes.  Over and above that, I'm not sure I want to carry my gear overseas and mess with trying to read road signs in Italian that I don't know anyway.  It's bad enough getting lost.  It's even worse when I can't read the language.  Lol  I'm going to learn some Italian and French before leaving though, but I think it might just be an easier trip if I just let the Eurail take me where it will.  I'm always open for suggestions though.  Cute tour guides are requested as well.  Do you know Italian Anna?  Wink

Quote from: atypical1;6552
It is hard trying to fit too much into one vacation. Is this your first time to Europe or Italy?

I've become the king of fitting too much into a vacation.  My last 2 tours covered half the country on each side and 500 mile days for over 20 days.  I'm no stranger to squeezing a bunch in, but I'm wanting to make this trip a more relaxed pace.  That's why I'm asking!  Bigsmile

I've never been to Europe or Italy.  The extent of use my passport has seen is two times to Canada in the last couple of years.  That be it.

IBA #18858

2000 TLR - corner carving fool  29k and counting 2003 Hayabusa - long distance fool  35k and counting
Gixster
You're riding WHERE?!

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 03:25:27 pm »

Quote from: GilaMonster;6557
Suggestion, while you are near Ducati (Bologna), spend a little time in Florence...Coffee, wine, and a bit to eat is a great experience.

Mugello is 20 miles, er..I mean 16 kilometers Lol, from Florence.  That's where we are going to make hotel reservations until the races are over.

IBA #18858

atypical1

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 03:26:01 pm »

My wife and I rented a BMW in Italy last year. I don't speak a lick of Italian (but have been there before). Riding over there was relatively easy once you get the hang of it and was one of the high points of my riding life (started riding when I was 16 and am 38 now...do the math:D).
Getting lost is part of the fun although Missy and I managed to not get that lost at all. The signage is pretty good overall. You just need to know generally where you are heading.
If you can I would stick around in Italy and enjoy the riding there.
Taking gear is relatively easy to do. We packed up a couple duffel bags and checked them (carried our helmets). When we got there we put them in a locker at the rental place and picked them up on our return.
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: ST3, 954RR
GPS: Northern Colorado
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 03:35:26 pm »

Quote from: Gixster;6564
Cute tour guides are requested as well. Do you know Italian Anna?

Spanish and Portuguese, close enough Lol
There is a bike rental in Munich, if you'd like to start the trip in Germany Beerchug
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/vivid_one/111206_Munchen19.jpg

BLOG:excessivelocity.blogspot.com
canban

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: M620 Dark
GPS: Toronto
Miles Typed: 846

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 03:39:16 pm »

Quote from: Gixster;6578
Mugello is 20 miles, er..I mean 16 kilometers Lol, from Florence.  That's where we are going to make hotel reservations until the races are over.

20 miles = 32 kilometres

Fred
Gixster
You're riding WHERE?!

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 03:42:00 pm »

Quote from: canban;6607
20 miles = 32 kilometres

Nuts  You're right!  Is that why I seemed to be riding faster than everyone by alot when I rode through Canada this year?  Lol

Note to self:  Save distance conversions for the GPS.

IBA #18858

Against The Wind
No, I really haven't figured it out.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
Miles Typed: 6710

My Photo Gallery

Feel the wind...and set yourself the bolder course

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 05:23:18 pm »

Quote from: canban;6607
20 miles = 32 kilometres

Math Nazi.  Cool
bluedogok
Ride to Eat - Eat to Ride

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
GPS: Aurora, Colorado
Miles Typed: 629

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 06:47:12 pm »

A coworker did a year long aTm architecture study program in Italy two years ago, she grew up with a dad who rebuilds cars and likes them and she thought the Ferrari Museum was great. If you are a car person (and you know you are Tracy) you should enjoy it.

Scott
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 12:28:29 am »

Quote from: Gixster;6454
...Ducati factory, Aprilia factory, Ferrari factory.Bigsmile
you complete and utter IMBECILE Bigsmile

what you meant to say is "The Moto Guzzi factory is at the top of my list!"

Bigsmile

The experimental engine section alone is worth the price of admission.

In my opinion, Rome and Paris are too far apart for a 9 day trip...unless you're flying. On Euro Rail you might lose a day and a half.

You might wanna do Rome & Florence instead. Florence is lovely.Smile

Gixster
You're riding WHERE?!

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 11:21:25 am »

Quote from: Orson;7336
you complete and utter IMBECILE Bigsmile

what you meant to say is "The Moto Guzzi factory is at the top of my list!"

Bigsmile

The experimental engine section alone is worth the price of admission.

In my opinion, Rome and Paris are too far apart for a 9 day trip...unless you're flying. On Euro Rail you might lose a day and a half.

You might wanna do Rome & Florence instead. Florence is lovely.Smile

Lol  How could I forget the Guzzi factory!  Silly me!  I'll add that to the list!  The experimental engine section sounds very interesting to me!

How far apart are Rome and Paris?  I've got the Eurail schedule and map, but I haven't really started looking at it too closely yet.  Worst case, I thought I could swing an overnight train to get to Paris.

We are staying in Florence during the races.  As I research, there's more in Florence than I anticipated.  Still working out a schedule.  Once I figure out what I want to see, I'll know better where I'll have time to go.

IBA #18858

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 11:34:40 am »

Quote from: Gixster;7664
How far apart are Rome and Paris?
by motorcycle, it would be two looong days or three long days

by train, I'm guessing around 18 hours, though that's me just guessing...could be as low as 12 hours could be as high as 24 hours if ya gotta make a connection somewhere.

but that's lost time and on a 9 day trip, time is precious. Flights in Europe are really cheap in comparison to the states. Ryan Air flies from the UK to Spain for like $50 or something ridiculous like that.

my gut feeling is that you're trying to do too much in 9 days....unless yer like 18 years old, stay up til 4 drinking tequila, get up and do it again Bigsmile

Gixster
You're riding WHERE?!

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 12:11:49 pm »

Quote from: Orson;7677
but that's lost time and on a 9 day trip, time is precious. Flights in Europe are really cheap in comparison to the states. Ryan Air flies from the UK to Spain for like $50 or something ridiculous like that.

I just looked into Ryan Air.  They have flights from Rome to Paris for 20 Euro!  EEK!  That doesn't seem right, but I checked it a couple of times, and sure enough.  I guess it is.  I think that's going to be the plan.  Thanks for the tip!

IBA #18858

atypical1

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 01:21:24 pm »

Ryan Air is great. They took the Southwest model and took it steps further.

The only thing is that you are not going to be flying into DeGaulle. You fly into Beauvais and have to take transport into Paris from there but it is not a big deal.
Shizoku

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: ZZR1200
GPS: Valencia, CA
Miles Typed: 644

My Photo Gallery

My trusty steed...The ZZR1200

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 11:31:30 pm »

Quote from: VIVID1;6600
Spanish and Portuguese, close enough Lol
There is a bike rental in Munich, if you'd like to start the trip in Germany Beerchug
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/vivid_one/111206_Munchen19.jpg

Vivid,
You got link for this place?
Thanks,
Shiz

"You are dead a long time, so enjoy the time you have while you are alive"
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7538

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 11:54:32 pm »

Quote from: Shizoku;11207
Vivid,
You got link for this place?
Thanks,
Shiz

google is your friend.

hope you can read german.

http://www.fahrschule-rausch.de/
stewm_21

Reputation 8

GPS: Toronto"ish" Ontario
Miles Typed: 237

My Photo Gallery

'05 BMW R1200ST

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 12:19:45 am »

The wife and I were in Paris a few years ago, did the Louvre, Eiffel Tower etc.  Off the beaten track but still in Paris is a great local restaurant "Chez Papa".  If you want a taste of something Canadian there is The Moosehead restaurant (they show Monday Night football, the Simpsons and NHL hockey)...great for a laugh and the food isn't bad if you need a break.  
An interesting though not for everyone attraction is the catacombs, 10,000+ skeletons about 1/2 mile under the city, cool at first but there is a definite creep factor as you walk along.EEK!
I don't know from experience but what about renting from Edelweiss http://www.edelweissbike.com/tours/E
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal