Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Preparing/Training for the MTF Regional SS1000 rides  (Read 2168 times)

DavidLSI

Reputation 12

GPS: Northern Illinois
Miles Typed: 4783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2007, 03:36:51 pm »

I was reading all about all hose wanting to do the in state rides and avoiding the straightshots (500 out and 50 back).

After riding a ton of miles last year I had myself convinced that Iwould not want to do ss1k. 450 - 500 was about all I could take in a day.

I think that it takes a pretty big toll on the body. 16 - 18 hours in the sadddle is alot

I am posting to find out several things...

If you have not tried one how confident are you that you could finish....

If you have tried did you accomplish this on the first try...

What can one do to prepare for that kind of saddle time...

And do we want to try a R4 SS1000 so we can qualify to ride the in state ride... (Maybe in he middle of May)

What do you think?

SeeYa
DavidLSI

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

03K12RS
Short trips = 300 mi.

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2003 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Buffalo, NY (born) - Milwaukee, WI (raised)
Miles Typed: 131

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 08:04:48 pm »

David, the SS1000 is going to feel like a ton of riding, no other way to slice it. I rode from Milwaukee, WI to Jensen Beach, FL several times in 2 days. That works out to be approx. 800 mi. per day, and no problems on day 2 of ride. Going an extra 200 mi. when you are tired and hot (or cold) can be draining. Found that the best mix for me not trying to push things when under way. Stops for fluids, adding or removing layers (rain, cold or heat) and getting enough real food when you need it (usually smaller meal size works best for me). Having something to snack on at gas stops helps. Cruise control is also a PLUS, after all there is limited ability to shift riding position on such a haul. Giving the right hand a break from throttle control helps.

03K12RS
Joel Callan
Milwaukee, WI pictures: 03K12RS homepage: http://
Seeker
Farkle Hoe

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 06 ST1300A
Miles Typed: 295

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 08:23:56 pm »

David,
 Last September on the way out to Golden CO, I rode a SS1000 by accident.  To be honest, it was actually easy.  If I plan for one, I would probably have problems galore.  Broad strokes,  I left my place a few minutes before 05:00.  Speed limit in Iowa and Nebraska were higher than I realized.  It was easy to clip along at 80-90 all day, even through heavy rain.  Gas milage sucked but I was making great time.  Few of the gas stops I didnt take my helmet off.  Payed at the pump and hit the road again.  My plan was to do about 650-750 miles.  I hit the 700 mark at about 2pm.  Couldn't stop there!  When I stopped for dinner, I was at 880 for the day.  I was so close I had to go for it.  I had a nice relaxing dinner and road on into Golden Co, checked into the Hotel at 10:30 pm central time.  1060 miles all day.

The key for me was to eat decent and keep hydrated.  I'd be willing to make the run again, Colorado is some awesome riding.  Anyone wanna do a Colorado/Utah loop?  Do a Baby Butt on the way out?  I'd love to make a go of it for real this time.

Denny
FarkleMania.com
Advertisement

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1143

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 08:41:51 pm »

I think that boredom is the real enemy.  When you mind gets fatigued, the body will follow, so you need to keep the mind stimulated.  I thought that doing a SS1000 would be real hard, but it actually wasn't.  2 things really helped...number 1, I had XM radio hooked up.....different music and different stations.  I even got to listen to a ballgame during the evening hours.  number 2, I made sure that i was riding in some areas that i had never been before.  I never get tired of seeing new areas, riding new roads.

physically, I had been doing some easy training beforehand....a little treadmill and light lifting, nothing real stenueous, but enough to build a little endurance,  I also made sure to get plenty of rest the week before, and to make sure that I had hydrated myself properly the week before.  But heck, I just drove from St Petersburg, Fla to home (NoKy), about 1000 miles 2 weeks ago straight through with no problem, and no preperation.  Just had to do it, so I did.

patrick

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Seeker
Farkle Hoe

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 06 ST1300A
Miles Typed: 295

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 08:54:13 pm »

Patrick,
 Good point with the mind stimulation.  I had XM, CB to listed to truckers, Radar Detector, GPS and a Sigma trip computer.  I fiddled with them all throughout the day.  Cruise Control was a huge asset as well.

Denny
FarkleMania.com
xsPain
XSive

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: home is where the motor is.
GPS: Homeless, jobless, and probably having more fun than you.
Miles Typed: 1287

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 09:29:34 pm »

There is time on a saddlesore to take breaks. If you have GPS that keeps a average speed, you can monitor that (42mph is the minimum, IIRC).

If you go to the Ironbutt website they also have 23 pearls of wisdom (or something, I think there us a link in the other thread), which can help. Doing several rides, less than 1000 miles, but gradualing increasing, is a good way to train.

I have never documented a ironbutt ride, but I have ridden 1k in a day. I am not really detail orientated when riding, and can't keep track of that log thingy. I need to work on that.

"I have great faith in optimism as a guiding principle." Sir Arthur C Clarke (1917-2008)

I wrote a book! You should buy it so I don't have to get a real job!  http://www.amazon.com/Going-Small-Lightweight-Motorcycle-Touring/dp/1469941848
Oddball

Reputation 34

Motorcycles: '12 Tiger 800 XC, '06 FZ1, '99 R1100RT-P
GPS: Stillman Valley, IL
Miles Typed: 1335

My Photo Gallery

Cats out of the bag just south of cheese.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 09:38:30 pm »

Years ago when the MTF posted the first SS1000 I could not wait.  For my first attempt I would do a Lake Michigan SS1000 April 1, 2005.  The earliest ever done in a season.  See I could not wait till June and living in the Chicagoland area going around the lake would be do or die.  Let me tell you it was a piece of cake.  I went counter clockwise and the first memorial event was the Mackinac Bridge.  Then into Canada, Sault Ste. Marie.  Was not there 30 minutes, it was only a stop.  But shortly afterwards at least 5 snowmobiles crossed my path.  Talk about invigorating and wondering who belongs.  Then Green Bay to 30 miles west of Milwaukee it rain the whole way.  40 minutes later I was home.  Did I ever want to quite, no not really.  Did I do it for a piece of paper, na.  I did it because I wanted to.   Not for anyone else.  I’ve done it many times, but never documented.  This time was special.

And on a further note, I did participate in the first MTF SS1000 out of St. Cloud Minnesota with Mark (Waterguy).  Talk about one hell of a good guy.  Week(s) earlier his brother Mr. Soup had his annual soup run.  Well Mark delivered soup, did a BBG1500 and a SS2000 the same weekend.  I’d of had a SS2000 also, but blown a speedometer cable and only could prove the MTF SS1000 with all of the witness.  No big deal, but the point it is it easy.  Just do it for yourself and no one else.

Just use the 29 Tips and adjust to riding it will be no sweat.  http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Sincerely,

Scott Pfeiffer

IBA# 22015
brobers
Some Nut On Two Wheels

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 FJR-1300A, '11 Honda Interstate
GPS: Cloverdale, IN
Miles Typed: 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 02:52:59 am »

I did mine the end of June last year.  I rode from Indiana to Oklahoma and back on I-70 and I-44.  I started out at 15:00.  I hit rain a good part of the whole ride.  I work nights so riding at night was a "normal" thing for me.  It was nice from the perspective of traffic.  I left on Saturday afternoon and by that night had little to no traffic to contend with on the ride back.  One of the things I found was after about 300+ miles start taking some asprin/tylenol to help with the pain.  While you may not have any I found "pain" or discomfort in my lower back/tailbone area.  I could shift around on the seat a bit but that is only a temporary fix.  Once you get into the ride a way try to follow the stop for gas, ride another 100 miles, stop to eat, and then ride another 100 miles for the next gas stop.  I liked it because it gave me an extra reason to get off and stretch even if for 5 minutes.  If you get tired stop and take a quick nap.  40 minutes sleeping in the grass made all the difference in the world.  Read the tips on the IBA site and plan ahead.  It really made my ride go smoothly.  I kind of wish I had stopped and took more pictures along the way.  I-44 west of St. Louis to the state line was a really neat view in the evening esp. around Ft. Leonard Wood.
FZ1 Matt
Scott's Group

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: yes
GPS: Cheese
Miles Typed: 1793

My Photo Gallery

KLR goes sputter sputter gurgle gurgle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 07:50:43 am »

Sincerely,

Scott Pfeiffer

I'm reading your post wondering who the heck Oddball is. Oh it's Scott. Lol What was your log in name before? You also need to use your cow avatar because that's how I know it's you.  Razz

Oh and SS1000's are easy. We even slept for 4 or 5 hours and still managed 1000 mi in 24hr.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal