Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
Print

Topic: Garage & Tools Tips & Tricks...  (Read 85189 times)

mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15846

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 11:05:39 am »

With the lever released, there is a clear and open path from the bleed fitting on the caliper to the reservoir.

This allows fluid from the reservoir to reach the actual master cylinder.

When you squeeze the lever (or depress the pedal), the passage from the reservoir to the cylinder is closed. This keeps the pressure in the cylider/line/caliper, as opposed to pressurizing the reservoir.

So, no, you don't have to squeeze the lever.

Have I made that sufficiently muddy?

any good mechanic would understand what you just said.

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Fourstring
Careful, that's a load-bearing ziptie...

Reputation 47

Motorcycles: Kawi ZX9, Honda Uglystick
GPS: Norman Rockwell's Distopia
Miles Typed: 6073

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 11:13:54 am »

any good mechanic would understand what you just said.

And yet, I understood it too.   Headscratch

Here's another one I found for winterizing the bike.  Instead of 2x4s and plywood under the tires to keep them off the ground, pick up a large exercise mat from Sports Authority, like what goes under a treadmill or Bowflex.  The tires are still insulated from the concrete, and it's easier on your feet/knees the rest of the year when you're wrenching and standing all day.

Let's all panic.  That should fix it.
bomber

Reputation 30

GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 11:18:17 am »

Using a paint stick, mark the oil filter with the milage at which is should be change.

Use the same paint stick to note the tire pressures for the bike under the seat someplace (this becomes more valuable as the vehicle count in the motor pool grows).

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
Advertisement

squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 11:45:56 am »

And yet, I understood it too.   Headscratch

Lol Lol I had the same thought.

Here's another one I found for winterizing the bike.  Instead of 2x4s and plywood under the tires to keep them off the ground, pick up a large exercise mat from Sports Authority, like what goes under a treadmill or Bowflex.  The tires are still insulated from the concrete, and it's easier on your feet/knees the rest of the year when you're wrenching and standing all day.

Hey, I really like that one. It gets done this year.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 01:20:01 pm »

If you're like me, much of your riding gear lives in the garage -- some small creature reminded me of this trick for the lsst three mornings in a row by leaving an acorn in my right boot.

A drier sheet left in an enclosed area will discourage mice, rats, squirrels and the like from going into said space --

Half a sheet in each boot, one in the exit of your muffler, one in the battercompartment (I have no idea what is tasty about wiring looms, but there's seemingly something) . . . . . you get the idea . . . . .

Cheap ones work as well as spendy ones -- a trip to the dollar store may be in order.

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
chornbe

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 01:26:12 pm »

I'd be more apt to pull rather than push - just because I would HATE to overflow the reservoir and deal with the mess/damage.

Agreed. I vacuum bleed, then pressure bleed for completeness... then do pressure bleed again the next day. You never get all the air out the first time.

On a full rebuild on a master cylinder, bench bleed it before hooking up the lines.

On a full caliper rebuild, fill the caliper with break fluid by pouring it in the hose attachment hole with the bleeder open.

The stupid Brembo-built calipers on my Harley have the bleeder and hose connection on the same hole, so I would *HAVE* to prefill the caliper anyway.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:28:20 pm by LuvMy883 » Logged
chornbe

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 01:30:03 pm »

if you have a lift, get proficient at putting bikes up on it frontwards and backwards. Locking the rear wheel into the clamp (or chock of you're using one) and hoisting the front makes pulling the front apart a real snap. None of my bikes have center stands at the moment, so even getting the 800lb Harley up on the lift backwards is something you get good at out of necessity.  Thumbsup
McRider

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Kawasaki EX 650R, Kawasaki Klx 250s, Triumph Bonnie (68)
GPS: Southwest Washington
Miles Typed: 451

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 02:06:59 pm »

Paint sticks are showing up a lot on this thread.  Here's another idea to help with valve adjustment:  If you have to change a shim on a shim-under-bucket system, use a paint stick to mark the cam chain at the cam allignment marks before removing the cams.  This saves a lot of time counting pins and worry about getting the cam timing right.  I've only done this once, so I don't know how easy it would be go get the marks to allign on the next time you have to take the cams out, but you can always paint again the next time.  
bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 02:13:05 pm »

Any way we can get this thread stickied?

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 02:21:18 pm »

pencil erasers clean elctrical contacts very nicely.

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
chornbe

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 02:24:02 pm »

If you can afford a free-standing wheel chock that holds the bike vertical, or a lift, get one. Doesn't have to be the top of the line (I bought the cheapeast Harbor Freight lift and it's fine).

Cleaning, basic maintenance, body-work swaps (for you track-day guys), engine work, carb/TB syncs, pipe swaps... nearly everything that can be done with the wheels still on the bike is just easier when the bike is properly vertical.

A lift is preferable over a chock because getting the bike up to standing working height really eases fatigue and knee soreness.
Kramer
Fun Junkie

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 325

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 03:24:54 pm »

this may not fit here...and I know there are some who just don't do it, but...

Never wash the bike down with water UNLESS you have time t go for a ride before putting it up for the night (or longer).  The ride will rid the bike of hard to reach areas where water may collect.

Mike | '18 Beta 300rr '19 Honda Monkey,
Nashville, TN USA
AMA - 262640
MadMax96
Old Skool Forever

Reputation 5

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: Round Lake, IL
Miles Typed: 1273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 05:16:20 pm »

this may not fit here...and I know there are some who just don't do it, but...

Never wash the bike down with water UNLESS you have time t go for a ride before putting it up for the night (or longer).  The ride will rid the bike of hard to reach areas where water may collect.

Unless you're one of those rich types who dropped $300 on one of those fancy blower dryer thingies...   Rolleyes

-Matt
jimmy

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
GPS: Hamilton, ON Canada
Miles Typed: 590

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 05:51:07 pm »

After I wash it I dry my bike with my leaf blower.
Sputnik

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Rosso Corsa, 2015 BMW R1200RT, 2018 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Lethbridge, Alberta
Miles Typed: 489

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 11:44:32 am »

Agreed. I vacuum bleed, then pressure bleed for completeness... then do pressure bleed again the next day. You never get all the air out the first time.

A useful trick after bleeding / vacuum bleeding is apply pressure to the brake lever (e.g. tightly bungy the brake lever to the handlebar) overnight. The pressure will force those tiny little bubbles to the top.

"If the misery of our poor be caused not by nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin".
Charles Darwin.
William

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1995 R1100GS
GPS: Western Washington
Miles Typed: 133

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 05:43:46 pm »

Something else I recently learned while wrenching on my KLR... Lock-Tite everything!! That thumper routinely vibrates parts loose. It's not un-common to hear fasteners falling off the bike while cruising down the road...  Rolleyes

Ride safe, ride well, and ride often.
Atitalongtime
Built for Comfort, adicted to Speed

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: K1200GT
GPS: North Texas
Miles Typed: 468

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 06:34:52 pm »

Poor Man's Bike Lift
4 eye hooks, good size ones, 7/16" shank, screwed into the rafters of your garage.

In a square pattern, Wider than your handlebars and 6" longer than your wheelbase.

4 ratchet type tie down straps hanging down, hooked with soft straps to your bars and rear frame and you can safely jack the scoot up as high as you like.

Works great for dirt bikes, but I lifted the K12GT up and pulled both wheels without drama.

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak..
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 04:18:17 pm »

The foam pads (9 x 18 x 1?) they sell for gardening kneepads work good in the garage too.  Good to sit on too.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 04:21:07 pm »

Non-hardening gasket sealer works as a 'shade-tree' lock-tite.  Not for nuts n bolts that actually need lock-tite, but for the ones that just need a little something.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 04:35:15 pm »

Next question is, where do you get a syringe if you are not in the medical field or a junky?  How about a turkey baseter?

They are non-rx in most states, you can just walk up to the pharmacy and ask what they've got.  Farm supply stores will have them in with the animal meds too.

I have bought syringes from the pharmacy and not been given any trouble.  I'm a snob and only use the good brand ones when giving vaccines.  Farm supply store around here only carries off brand stuff and I only want to stick sharp needles into pets.  Don't mind spending an extra 10 cents, I'm already saving $20 on the vaccine.  Razz

Lauren
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal