Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Emergency Contact Info  (Read 133943 times)

meanstrk
Two up knee draggin fool.......

Reputation 9

GPS: Carthage, NC
Miles Typed: 214

My Photo Gallery

Aprilia Futura, , Katana 600, ZX6R, GL1800

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2007, 09:18:55 am »

In light of a new season coming on, and some other instances that have happened to me, and others recently, I just wanted to bring this up.

What happens when shit happens and you are not able to talk to answer questions? Who do you want contacted in case of an accident? What type blood do you have? Insurance info?

Where do you keep this info so that it is readily available? In your pockets? In the tail section of your bike? Tank bag?

What happens if the bike burns and all of that info is destroyed?

1st off, use the I.C.E. system in your cell phone. (In Case of Emergency) This is recognized as a fast way to look up contact info for the ones you want called in case of an accident. Failing that, what next?

I recommend using the medical pouches that attach to your helmet. Enter all pertanant info on the sheet and then attach it to your helmet. It will be visable there and readily available to EMT personnel.

This company will send you one a month for free as well.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=MICS

I just ordered 10 of them in addition to the free one and will be handing them out to everyone the next time I head to Deals Gap!

Ron MSgt, USMC (Retired)
US Desmo # 845
Nesba A-24 IBA# 38812  
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

motospeed9058

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2005 Kawasaki Concours
GPS: Western Maryland
Miles Typed: 415

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:35:42 am »

HOO RAH MSGT!!! Semper Fi!!

It's nice to know that others have considered this.  I personally have a laminated card with all the pertinent information in the chest pocket of all my riding gear, as well as my helmet.  I also keep with it, an additional 20 bucks for that time that cash is an emergency.  BFE gas station, need a tow, need a cab, have a break down and forgot the wallet.  Any of those situations.  

Also, have the Emergency Contact listing in my cell phone and sewn inside my riding boots.

However, thanks for the reminder, some of my information has changed and needs to be updated before the season starts.

"Keep the rubber side down"

"If you don't like what I have done, do it your damn self"  http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh79/outlaw9058/VisitedStatesMap.jpg
roadrailer
I'm doing it as hard as I can...

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2006 Buell Ulysses; 2002 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Typed: 309

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:43:06 am »

In addition to emergency numbers in the cell phone (I don't use ICE, but I label my speed dial with "wife," "parents," "brother," etc instead of names) I keep vital information in my wallet (always on me), in my tank bag, and in a pocket in my jacket. I've seen the helmet idea before, but never bothered with it. IMO paramedics are used to looking for ID in wallets and clothing, but may not check the helmet over carefully while in a rush to save my ass.

2006 Buell Ulysses
2002 Suzuki SV650S
Advertisement

dlrides

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 06 KTM 950 Adventure S, BMW K1200R, 1944 Harley Davidson UL, KTM 300XCW, KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Hickory NC & Tazewell VA
Miles Typed: 274

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:44:39 am »

Here is something all of you should have while riding. I know the owner personally, and he is a honest person, with numerous years of emergency response experience. He is also a fellow rider. I do not ride without one !

Link:  http://www.resqtag.com/

"It's an old motorcycle, the wind should shake your head, it's supposed to leak oil, vibrate your ass numb, and the brakes should suck too ! Every now and then it should scare you so ba
chuckfina
non-neocon

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Miles Typed: 390

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 12:13:04 pm »

You may want to make sure your cell phone is on when you ride.  And make sure the "location" feature is turned on.  It's my understanding that you can be located if the phone is in a reception area even if you are unconscious and unable to call.
Dr Gil
"Datsa notta noise, eetsa sound!"

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
GPS: Eureka, CA USA
Miles Typed: 1798

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 12:16:39 pm »

The Army taught me the answer to this...dog tags.

I never ride without having a dog tag and a spare key to the bike around my neck.  The dog tag contain my name, address, phone number and blood type.   Wink

Dr. Gil's Deluxe Website

-John Steinbeck  "Yeah, I'
QuienSabe

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 BMW R1200RT
Miles Typed: 36

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:22:09 pm »

Over at the Motorcycle Tourer's Website you can get tags for free if you have posted 50 times to the forum, or for $5 as a member.
roadrailer
I'm doing it as hard as I can...

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2006 Buell Ulysses; 2002 Suzuki SV650S
Miles Typed: 309

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 12:28:10 pm »

The Army taught me the answer to this...dog tags.

I never ride without having a dog tag and a spare key to the bike around my neck.  The dog tag contain my name, address, phone number and blood type.   Wink

I was in a running shop this weekend and saw a dog tag-like ID for runners. Seems like a good idea, since there's no way emergency personnel would miss it during an evaluation.

2006 Buell Ulysses
2002 Suzuki SV650S
servicerifle
Junior Post-Ho

Reputation -25

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 2867

My Photo Gallery

I DO MY OWN STUNTS!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 03:01:40 pm »

I have spoken to some EMTs about the "ICE" contact in a cell phone.  They have all shrugged and said they'd never heard of such a thing.    I ordered one of those things from Cyclegadgets.com...seems like a good thing.
Req
Beautiful and Unique Snowflake

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 2004 Suzuki VStrom 1000
Miles Typed: 2546

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 03:12:10 pm »

I wear one of those CycleGadget things on the back of my helmet.

With luck, I'll never need it.

Always two sprockets short of a threesome.
lionlady
What is this "reading compression" of which you speak?

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Rockster Limited Edition
GPS: Forest, VA
Miles Typed: 361

My Photo Gallery

BMW R1150R Rockster Ed 80 #196

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 03:39:07 pm »

I have spoken to some EMTs about the "ICE" contact in a cell phone.  They have all shrugged and said they'd never heard of such a thing.

I've got friends who are EMTs and they say that it is against regulations for a rescuer to attempt to access anything on a victim's cell phone. For one, just because the person is carrying the phone, it might not be theirs. For another, suppose the EMT is really inept and manages to delete important (or valuable) information... who is liable?

You're better off going with a dog tag, etc. I've got one of the helmet sticker things.

P

Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
jschmidt

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 03:48:30 pm »

EMT's don't contact your family and its generally frowned upon when they rifle your pockets. Since there is no medical benefit to them knowing who you are (except being able to call you by name) this isn't really who you leave the information for.
county
The thrill of speed, the image of danger

Reputation -630

Motorcycles: Blackbird & F650CS
GPS: Memphis, TN
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 04:01:20 pm »

I really like that dog tag and spare key around the neck.   Thumbsup

Iron Butt Identification No. 22810.  BB1500   Bullet Bike rider
My dog can poo !
nidan

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: fxdwg3
Miles Typed: 32

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 07:28:59 am »

I keep my Cell with me , and in my wallet there is an In Case of Emergency contact list with phone numbers , these are all in the Cell.
Playinthestreet

Reputation -5

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 03 Sprint ST
GPS: Stuck in Lodi
Miles Typed: 4124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 07:33:03 am »

I just carry my Batman flash light.
Gixster
You're riding WHERE?!

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 102

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 08:51:56 am »

I keep a sheet of paper with emergency contact information, my blood type, and the lone allergy I have in four places.

In my wallet, up front and clearly labeled such that it will be the first thing noticed if emergency personnel or police open it.
In one of the pockets of my Aerostich
In the top pocket of my tankbag
In the tailsection of the bike.  

Redundancy is good.

IBA #18858

2000 TLR - corner carving fool  29k and counting 2003 Hayabusa - long distance fool  35k and counting
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4090

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 09:40:12 am »

Great post!  Thumbsup

I put ICE in my cell phone when I read about it a few years ago. Also I always tell my wife the general area I am traveling in.

And I also sign up for our emergency helicopter ambulance of sorts. Here, it is called Life Flight. It is $50/yr for my wife and I.
evilmedic13
Fantastic and sarcastic!

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: FJR1300,R1200GS Advenure
Miles Typed: 894

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 10:01:01 am »

Like some have stated here, we do not contact people on a cell phone you own. I will look for your i.d if your wallet is on the ground. I will not go through your jacket or your bike luggage, I don't care whats in it, you're evidently unconscious and I need to make sure there's nothing sticking out of you and everything is where it's supposed to be.
           Dog tags=yes catch my eye everytime. Info on helmet=definitely good idea, if you wear it. Medic alert tags=yes, in fact first thing I look for if you're not wakey wakey, not every trauma starts at stupidity, some do have funny causes.
   I really want to know you age,meds,medical history(not list of booboo's)such as hypertension,diabetes, hepatitis a/b/c/d, etc or anything you're taking meds for and what MEDICINES you're allergic to, not" I can't eat shellfish or oranges" we're not taking you to red lobster on the way. And yes psych is a med history, especially if you're taking medicines for it, some medicines don't like other medicines in their playground, so if you take zoloft or xanax tell me!

The only time I will grab your wallet is if I have to put you on a backboard and it's thick enough that it interferes w/ me keeping your back and hips properly immobilized. Hope this helps, and I hope you never have a need for this to be handy!
                                                            Ed

HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 10:23:43 am »

This thread has given me a great idea.

I'm going to make my own ResQTag type 'tag', and make it big enough to wrap around / hold a spare key (and then wear it like a dog tag).
I'm not sure people would find a key-fob / pull (and I sometimes ride w/o a jacket when it's really warm).

Something I've done in the past, was to print out my emergency info (cause my hand writting sucks) and then reduce it on a copier to the size of a credit card.
You can get a WHOLE LOT of info on one wallet-card this way.
I then 'laminated' it with clear tape.

There is NO logic that justifies NOT putting an I.C.E. entry in your cell phone.  The boy scouts and military taught me that preperation effects final results.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 12:17:10 pm »

evilmedic13:
 Great post! I would like to add that we don't rely on information found on the bike/helmet, because you don't know if the patient is owner or not. Dogtags/bracelets aren't as likely to be on loan, so we would give those a little more consideration.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal