Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Emergency Contact Info  (Read 133942 times)

Kool shades

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '06 Ducati ST3, '08 Monster 696
GPS: Ontario, Canukistan
Miles Typed: 577

My Photo Gallery

Tonights forcast: Dark

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2008, 09:00:39 am »

Does anybody have any experience with the Medical Type Dog Tags that are a USB memory stick?
 I saw it in Rider, I think.

A tragedy is a man who's living in his own skin & can't stand the company...
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2008, 09:55:19 am »

Does anybody have any experience with the Medical Type Dog Tags that are a USB memory stick?
 I saw it in Rider, I think.

While it ousnds like a great idea, a few things that one should questios:
Is it going to work? I mean, really, it's been toted around for a few years on your neck, in all kinds of weather(moisture) then exposed to the forces of a crash before it is expected to be used.

Assuming it does still work who is going to plug it in? Emergenct personel aren't going to take the time, or have the equipment (remote areas) and hospital personell are so scared of anything to do with thier network that they won't touch anything with asking IT, and they are going to reccomend not plugging it in.

Severe alergies aside modern ER's can handle everything they need to know on their own. The rest of your info will be obtained from law enforcement via your vehicle registration. Some time we put far to much thought into things like this.

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
LicketySplat
Not the droid you're looking for

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '02 YZF600R, '05 SV650S
Miles Typed: 493

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2008, 11:31:50 am »

The rest of your info will be obtained from law enforcement via your vehicle registration.

So far only a few states allow you to attach emergency contact information to your driver's license (not registration). If you live in one of those states, by all means DO IT. But it's not universal, and it may only include contact information, not allergies.

Hold my beer and watch this.
Advertisement

Shoganai
Let's do some living!

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1993 K1100RS "The Shop Whore" , 1994 K1100RS "Blue Streak"
GPS: Culpeper, VA
Miles Typed: 187

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2008, 01:10:35 am »

Severe alergies aside modern ER's can handle everything they need to know on their own. The rest of your info will be obtained from law enforcement via your vehicle registration. Some time we put far to much thought into things like this.

As an ER nurse, I have to disagree with this in a general sense.

Yes, we can save your life in most cases, but knowing your past surgeries, current meds and chronic conditions or diagnosis like hypertension, COPD, CHF, MI's, A-FIB, or GI Bleed will help us provide you the BEST and most appropriate care.

And after all, who would want to set up a situation where you would deny yourself that?

People living deeply have no fear of death. - Anais Nin
KenH

Reputation -430

Motorcycles: CB550 Four, TW200
GPS: NWTN
Miles Typed: 10449

My Photo Gallery

When H*** freezes over, I'll ride there, too.

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 12:19:49 pm »

I wear a MedicAlert bracelet that says "NO CODE-DO NOT RESUSCITATE-ORGAN DONER".

"Why on earth do you think? Or do you think?" Papa Lazarou
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Thunder Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1558

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2009, 04:43:08 pm »

I wear a MedicAlert bracelet that says "NO CODE-DO NOT RESUSCITATE-ORGAN DONER".

I like that.  I must get me one like that.  Then I won't have to get DNR tattooed on my chest.

"Gender Box"...Rocketbunny
"but in reality the optimal pace can only be confirmed in hindsight"...Gene
Rammer

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '09 ZX-14, '08 Wr250x
GPS: north western, WI
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2009, 07:37:01 pm »

As a Deputy Sheriff with over 20 years experience, I have been to many bad accidents. If you crash and I get to you first, I'm not going to use my time to try and search you or your bike for info about you. Your name isn't important right at that moment. I'd stay at your side doing all I'm trained to do until EMTs arrive. I would check out your condition but not your pockets.
  I carry a spare key and a laminated version of this.... http://www.medids.com/free-id.php  around my neck when I ride. I figure if I crash, someones going to cut off most of my clothes so no point in filling my pockets with stuff. A small tag on the side or back of my helmet might be missed. Not many people are realistically going to have time to plug in a memory stick into a lap top and try and figure out who I am either.
  At work, the info is printed on the carrier of the body armor.

Just my 2 cents worth. Erik.
CLMixon

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 07:54:43 pm »

Folks,

I don't post much but I felt I needed to comment here.  I am a 28 year Paramedic, Coroner's death investigator and EMS instructor.  There has been some good comments from LEO, RN's other EMT's and Paramedics and even firefighters about this and I wanted to both chime in and emphasize a critical point.  The only place the DOT curriculum specifies for prehospital providers to obtain medical history if you or your family cannot provide it immediately is the Medic Alert bracelet and neck chain system if you are on the road and vial of life in/on the refrigerator at your house. Some folks have mentioned dog tags, They are workable but may not be examined if they don't have that red star of life to indicate medical information.

ICE is a creation of some European (London) EMS medics and the internet.  No professional responder on the scene is going to access your cell phone for info.  We have no way of relating the phone to the person, no way of confirming identity and if you have a decreased LOC and cannot provide your history, we are not going to be looking for it right now anyway.  Knowing your basic medical history at this point is a nice to have, not need to have.  Once you are at the hospital, the need for more detailed medical information will develop and can be managed.

We (my service) does not have protocols for ICE and if we did, they would state not to call.  The last thing you have time to do at this point is talk to someone on the phone who you may scare, misinform or even cause injury to if they panic and rush to the scene or hospital.  

If you have ever been the charge nurse at the ER, Police Officer or  Death Investigator, you know how difficult that phone call to the family is, and it has to be handled correctly.

Personally, I like the Rescutag on my jacket zipper, but I will not count on it being seen, Medic Alert on either wrist is going to be seen and examined.

Sorry about the tone, don't mean to preach but unless this becomes a DOT knowledge objective, ICE is not good information.

Chris

HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2009, 04:32:53 pm »

As an ER nurse....

Yes, we can save your life in most cases, but knowing your past surgeries, current meds and chronic conditions or diagnosis like hypertension, COPD, CHF, MI's, A-FIB, or GI Bleed will help us provide you the BEST and most appropriate care.

And after all, who would want to set up a situation where you would deny yourself that?

Where / how do you propose, suggest, reccommend we have that information that it will be found and used?

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
jwhite518

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 05 FJR1300, 96 BMW R1100RS
GPS: SF Bay Area
Miles Typed: 4644

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2009, 07:19:26 pm »

I think memory sticks are a lame-o idea. ICE on the cell phone is slightly above lame-o, though I do it anyway. Couldn't hurt. I tried the laminated Med-ID card but found it to be uncomfortable. I wear dog tags. Tag 1 has my name, blood type, "no allergies" and "no current meds." Tag 2 has contact info for my wife and a backup. If my medical situation changes I'll update Tag 1.

If you ever meet me when I'm on the road away from my house, and I'm not wearing my dog tags, you have my permission to punch me in the arm. Hard.

IBA #386
Maria V

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: R1150R
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2009, 08:57:10 am »

www.roadid.com  Check out this site, they have some good stuff.

+1 on Road ID.  Wear it everytime I ride.  

Maria
2004 R1150R, Silver - the fastest color
Shoganai
Let's do some living!

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 03:53:23 am »

Where / how do you propose, suggest, reccommend we have that information that it will be found and used?

Around your neck, like Dog Tags.
When I get the chance, I'll post pics of mine.

Keep in mind one of the very first things EMT's and ER Nurses do in the case of an unconscience person is cut your clothes off. We are used to looking for Medic Alert tags.

I all my years working in the ER, l have never looked in a wallet unless I needed to notify next of kin.
We don't look at cell phones except for the same reason.

In my case, M/C crash, fractured back, 1500 miles from home, at 0300, in a chopper the Flight Nurses found my tag around my neck and used it. The ER staff did the same thing and called my S.O. from it while I was too rattled from the concussion to give good, clear info.

Tyler

Reputation 31

Motorcycles: 2013 CanAm Spyder
GPS: Santa Clara, CA
Miles Typed: 650

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2009, 01:09:41 pm »

www.roadid.com  Check out this site, they have some good stuff.

I just ordered one of the ID bracelets last week. If anyone is interested in ordering one, I got a discount code for $1 off (hey, a buck is a buck!):  

Coupon Number:  ThanksTyler458204

Good thru Feb. 24th.  Smile
mjrfd99

Reputation -28

Motorcycles: 79 FX- 77 XLCH-75 H1 F- 03 Busa-05 Concours
GPS: Jersey Shore
Miles Typed: 867

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 03:41:51 pm »

[quote

There is NO logic that justifies NOT putting an I.C.E. entry in your cell phone.  The boy scouts and military taught me that preperation effects final results.

[/quote]

GOOD POINT!!   From a f/f emt

Stop by @4:20.
Despot candidate for the future
Shoganai
Let's do some living!

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 04:25:20 pm »

As promised, here is the card I wear around my neck, FWIW.

Because meds change, I have them on a separate card, but worn together.

OmegaSix

Reputation 3

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: FJR1300, RF900R, F650
Miles Typed: 1220

My Photo Gallery

Raging Twat

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2009, 09:51:10 am »

A lot of that info translates into english easily enough - but some of it does not.
Do you mind translating the acronyms and professional jargon into one / two syllable words for us?
It would NOT be OK for me to attempt to use the format you've used without understanding what it means.
Shoganai
Let's do some living!

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2009, 10:34:02 am »

A lot of that info translates into english easily enough - but some of it does not.
Do you mind translating the acronyms and professional jargon into one / two syllable words for us?
It would NOT be OK for me to attempt to use the format you've used without understanding what it means.

Med (Hx) History: (RAD) Reactive Airway Disease, (GERD's) Gastroesophageal reflux disease, (+) positive for exposure to (TB) Tuberculosis, treated with (INH) Isoniazid, (MI?) possibile Myocardial infarction (Heart Attack), (PVC's) Premature ventricular contraction.

Other side.

(NKDA)  no known drug allergies, intolerant of (NSAIDS) Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, (=) causes (gastric pain) upsets my stomach, (Surg. Hx.) Surgery History, Caesarean section, breast reduction, (bi-lat carpal tun. release) both wrist had carpal tunnel surgery, (hysterectomy) took out the factory but left the play ground, (cholicysectomy) gall bladder removed, (Fx) fractures (R) right and (L) left (clavicals) collar bones, (Fx) fractures of (T6 & T7) thoracic vertebrae number 6 and 7, (Fx) fractures of spinus processes of thoracic vertebrae number 5 thru 10 on (L) left side.

All the fractures are the result of several motorcycle crashes.

As a medical professional, I used terms MD's and Nurses would have no problem understanding. If you or any one's wants me the translate common terms into medical-eze I'd be happy to help thru Private Message.

Shoganai
Let's do some living!

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 09:00:42 pm »

Hi Jeff,   ya damn stalker.  Twofinger Inlove
No  Razz we'er not married yet, but I was planning ahead.  Bigsmile

Augie

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW 1150RS
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2009, 04:41:07 pm »

Headscratch

Stalker I have been called a lot of thinks but never a stalker.  Lol

I say the pic from you and had to do it Sorry

I better get an invite to the wedding.  Bigok
spaz_666

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: RST1000, V11 Tenni
GPS: Chicago 'burbs
Miles Typed: 161

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2009, 10:08:13 pm »

Just tag me & bag me.    Twofinger

Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal