Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Scottish trip - planning stage  (Read 4584 times)

Bazman

« on: March 02, 2007, 04:50:40 pm »

Hi all. I'm planning a ride around the north west highlands of Scotland in May and could do with some input from any of you that have been there.

I've been using the AA route planner to get an idea of distances/journey times and am confused at some of their timings. For instance a route from Ullapool > Durness > John O'Groats > Lairg > Ullapool is 290 miles and 11 hrs Headscratch
Can this be right? An average of 26mph! I know Scottish roads are mostly single track in that area but this average seems a bit conservative. Anyone ridden this route?

I'm currently checking accommodation possibilities so if anyone has places they would recommend let me know. I thinking of overnight stops in Moffatt / Lockerbie area, Ardnamurchan penninsula, Torridon/Gairloch area, Ullapool and/or Thurso and posssibly Fort Augustus.

Thanks.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:48:51 pm »

Can this be right? An average of 26mph! I know Scottish roads are mostly single track in that area but this average seems a bit conservative. Anyone ridden this route?

That sounds about right to me.

I didn't make it all the way to John O'Groats partly due to the low mph average on those single track roads. The problem isn't the roads themselves, it's your line of sight. You can't see around bends, and seeing as it is a single track, you have to keep your speed WAY down lest there be a four-wheeler coming in the opposite direction.

Beautiful country if you have the time! Thumbsup

I just ran out of time and had to turn south. I'd love to make it back up there again.

Bazman

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 02:27:22 am »

Thanks Orson. I'm going to try and keep to about 5/6 hours riding each day which will give me plenty of time to take in the scenery and take photos to post in Ride Reports of course Smile
Advertisement

Maltese_Wizard
European Wanderer

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Vulcan 1600 Classic
GPS: Warwickshire
Miles Typed: 81

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 06:51:48 am »

Hi all. I'm planning a ride around the north west highlands of Scotland in May

Are you starting in Wiltshire? How long are you planning on spending out on this trip? only interested as I'd love to do the same sometime. I think my next trip is going to be to Edinburgh.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid !!
-----------------------------------------------
Kawasaki - VN1600 Classic : )  Honda - GL1500E Goldwing  Yamaha - XV1600 Custom Fat-Boy (Black
Bazman

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 01:46:21 pm »

Yes i'm riding from Wilts so i've got about 400 miles of the M5/M6 to get through before I get to the interesting bits. I'm still undecided on how many overnight stops i'll need. At the moment it looks like it will be 6 stops and 7 days riding,covering about 1600 miles. I've been using http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk to plan my trip.
Maltese_Wizard
European Wanderer

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:09:34 am »

Yes i'm riding from Wilts so i've got about 400 miles of the M5/M6 to get through before I get to the interesting bits. I'm still undecided on how many overnight stops i'll need. At the moment it looks like it will be 6 stops and 7 days riding,covering about 1600 miles. I've been using http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk to plan my trip.

are you doing the M6 all the way to Carlisle ? or do you know some more interesting routes? i don't know about you but i just simply HATE motorway riding... or is it a case of wanting to get up north as quickly as possible? and saving yourself an additional few hours on A roads in areas you don't want to be?

As I said last time, I want my next trip o be to Edinburgh but if the only realistic way is to hammer up the M6 then i'm not sure i could handle it...

have you been up that way before?

Kawasaki - VN1600 Classic : )  Honda - GL1500E Goldwing  Yamaha - XV1600 Custom Fat-Boy (Black
Bazman

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 03:30:19 pm »

Yup, all the way to Lockerbie/Moffat via motorway. I know it's boring stuff and I could detour and avoid it but that would mean spending less time in Scotland. I'm not a member of the Iron Butt brigade by any means but I reckon I can cope with the motorway miles. Luckily the Sprint is a comfortable bike Smile

A little bit of background.....At New Year I made a resolution that I would ride to the most northerly, southerly,easterly and westerly points of mainland Great Britain.
The most southerly (Lizard Point) I did in Jan. I plan to do the most easterly(Ness Point in Lowestoft) next week and that leaves the most westerly (Point of Ardnamurchan) and northerly(Dunnet Head) which i'll do on the Scottish trip.
Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 05:22:48 pm »

Not sure what your timing is going to be like but if you can spare it and you're going by there at the weekend then I'd recommend making a slight detour off the M6 to Kirby Lonsdale http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.t1097jgsh3sr_Kirkby%2520Lonsdale%252c%2520Cumbria%252c%2520England%252c%2520United%2520Kingdom___
Huge biker gathering place there, though be careful - because of its popularity with the motorcyclists its also popular with the Police... Ba**ards  Twofinger
basco

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 09 BMW R1200 GSA
GPS: Colorado Springs, CO
Miles Typed: 3023

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 06:16:17 pm »

I'm not a member of the Iron Butt brigade by any means but I reckon I can cope with the motorway miles. Luckily the Sprint is a comfortable bike Smile

Is the UK that big?  Lol

Sorry I just had to post that one.  Bigsmile

STN Nationals: 09, 08, 06
ESTN: 07, 05, 04
R4: 04, 05 R3: 08
Bazman

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 03:17:14 am »

Not sure what your timing is going to be like but if you can spare it and you're going by there at the weekend then I'd recommend making a slight detour off the M6 to Kirby Lonsdale http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.t1097jgsh3sr_Kirkby%2520Lonsdale%252c%2520Cumbria%252c%2520England%252c%2520United%2520Kingdom___
Huge biker gathering place there, though be careful - because of its popularity with the motorcyclists its also popular with the Police... Ba**ards  Twofinger

Thanks Ant, i hadn't heard of this meet before. I'll be travelling back on the weekend so may check it out.

Is the UK that big?  Lol

Sorry I just had to post that one.  Bigsmile

Yeah, I suppose a ride from Land's End to John O'Groats would be but but a daytrip for an Iron Butter!
Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 04:20:25 am »

Is the UK that big?  Lol

Oi, just because its impossible to travel further than about 850 miles in a straight line in the UK doesn't mean it isn't a nice place to ride  Twofinger  Bigsmile
Maltese_Wizard
European Wanderer

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 09:01:48 am »

A little bit of background.....At New Year I made a resolution that I would ride to the most northerly, southerly,easterly and westerly points of mainland Great Britain.
The most southerly (Lizard Point) I did in Jan. I plan to do the most easterly(Ness Point in Lowestoft) next week and that leaves the most westerly (Point of Ardnamurchan) and northerly(Dunnet Head) which i'll do on the Scottish trip.

That sounds like a good plan. I was over in lowestoft just before Christmas, I bought my Sv1000S from over that way too. Watch out for tractors and such other equipment harvesting the sugar-beet.

sven
Yorkshire Pudding

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW K1200S
Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 04:10:26 pm »

I have trips to Scotland 2 or 3 times per year.  Covering high daily mileages without using the motorway is a doddle.  

I'd recommend the A6 from Kendal to Carlisle and then the A7, A76 (then take the ferry across to Dunoon) or the old A74 (B7076?) Thumbsup

The Glenuig Inn is an ideal stopover after visiting Ardnamuchen www.glenuig.co.uk

All the roads are fantastic except for the A9 from Perth to Inverness (use the A93 instead) and the scenery is stunning  Cool

The Ullapool loop is probably 6-7 hours as there's not that much single track.  You'll want to stop every 2 minutes to take a photo though...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:13:22 pm by sven » Logged

Steve
2006 BMW K1200S
Bazman

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 04:33:21 pm »

Thanks Sven. I'm not going near the A9 as the only camera I want to see is the one i'll be using Wink
I've now decided to base myself in Glenmoriston for 4 days and do day rides (Ardnamurchan, Skye, Applecross/Torridon) .Then I intend to  venture further on up to do the north/northwest coastal route.
Thanks to everybody for their input  Bigok
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal