Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Any other TDM owners here?  (Read 9215 times)

downeastah
Not so newbie

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 03 Suzuki SV1000s; 79 Honda CB750f
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 08:17:44 am »

A year or so ago there were TWO TDM's listed in the local sell and swap here.  Both of them were listed for about $2000.  I've always admired the bike and regret not looking at them more closely.  Sad

You can't be a Real Country unless you have a BEER and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER.

Frank Zappa
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

nanbil
TEDIUM

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1992 Yamaha TDM 850
GPS: Edmond Oklahoma
Miles Typed: 646

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 12:28:23 pm »

Lots of suggestions, no answers. I'm in the same boat as my TDM approaches 60k miles. I tend to vacillate between a V-Strom, a wee-strom, a VFR 800, a Tiger, or going with more of a ds bike like an XR650L, DR650, LC4 or KLR 650.

You should also look at the new Buells: the Ulysses and the Lightning Super TT XB12STT.

Carpe Diem
DFH
engage the road, not your GPS

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: a shedfull, but the one I love is a TRX850
GPS: Adelaide, South Australia
Miles Typed: 497

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 12:25:13 am »

You should also look at the new Buells: the Ulysses and the Lightning Super TT XB12STT.

EEK! But Buells contain Hardly Drivable donks... I may be in my mid 40's but i'm no accountant with me Sundee Rebel Stubble and a facination for pirate costumes  Hurl

DFH
Advertisement

nanbil
TEDIUM

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 01:31:04 am »

EEK! But Buells contain Hardly Drivable donks... I may be in my mid 40's but i'm no accountant with me Sundee Rebel Stubble and a facination for pirate costumes  Hurl

DFH

But that Hardly engine has about 25 more HP and about 35 more pounds of torque than your TRX :eek:and at least here in that States, a Buell rider would never be confused for a "pirate costumed" Harley rider Lol

Carpe Diem
Doghouse_Riley

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Plated '96 KLX650R, '85 HD FLTC Garage Queen
Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 01:50:56 am »

Out of my price range.

Ciao
Doghouse
DFH

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 07:38:49 am »

It goes unsaid that owning a TRX or TDM indicates an adversion to mainsteam offerings and a love of value for money, so a secondhand XBR9 qualifies. But if I was to embrace pushrods again I would buy another Guzzi.....  Razz 2nd Aprilia Falco anyone? ( way cheaper than a Tuono) or 2nd hand Triumph Speed Nipple....... Maybe a BMWf800s ? Suppose that why I like the TRX. 'tis a an exotic bike that takes a bit of effort riding for SV650 money

DFH
nanbil
TEDIUM

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2006, 01:02:15 am »

Unfortunately the TRX was never offered in the U.S. and the TDM was only imported for two years 1992 and 1993.  While I don’t think of the TRX as an “exotic” motorcycle it certainly is a unique one.  One of the things that I enjoy about the TDM is its uniqueness, I believe that the Buells fit into the same, “wow you don’t see many of those” niche.  I really like Buell motorcycles and will probably own one someday. I feel that they are a much more modern motorcycle than the Moto Guzzi offerings and a much better buy.  Hell my TDM cost $8,000 in 1992 so a motorcycle that costs $11,000 in 2007 is still a pretty good deal.

Carpe Diem
DFH

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 10:36:54 am »

Unfortunately the TRX was never offered in the U.S. and the TDM was only imported for two years 1992 and 1993.  While I don’t think of the TRX as an “exotic” motorcycle it certainly is a unique one.  

Exotic is only the opposite of native or ordinary, so a rabbit is an exotic animal in Oz, and a kangaroo is ordinary...... funny old world.

Now as you lot only got the early TDMs you missed out on the truely exotic 270 degree cranks.. invented by the same Australian who brought you the Vincent Black Shadow... BTW happy new year

DFH  
nanbil
TEDIUM

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2006, 01:23:01 pm »

Exotic is only the opposite of native or ordinary, so a rabbit is an exotic animal in Oz, and a kangaroo is ordinary...... funny old world.

Now as you lot only got the early TDMs you missed out on the truely exotic 270 degree cranks.. invented by the same Australian who brought you the Vincent Black Shadow... BTW happy new year

DFH  

I have the following meaning listed in my dictionary:
ex·ot·ic adj
1.   strikingly unusual and often very colorful and exciting or suggesting distant countries and unfamiliar cultures
2.   introduced from another place or region

n
somebody who or something that is exotic, especially a plant or animal

Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

So, I guess that one could say that the TRX, or even the TDM (at least in the U.S.) are exotic motorcycles.  I tend to think of exotic motorcycles as being something I could never own.  An exotic motorcycle, like an exotic woman, is something I can only dream about.  If I had the means to own an “exotic” (or marry one) then it wouldn’t be an “exotic” to me.  

Carpe Diem
DFH

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2006, 07:53:55 pm »

I tend to think of exotic motorcycles as being something I could never own.  An exotic motorcycle, like an exotic woman, is something I can only dream about.  If I had the means to own an “exotic” (or marry one) then it wouldn’t be an “exotic” to me.  

Next time you park your TDM amongst the sea of repli-racers & Hardly Drivables at the cafe at the top of the twisties walk away secure in the glow of owning the only example there... an exotic in the midst of the masses

Bigok

DFH
Dreadnought

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2006, 08:57:46 pm »

Sort of like if I ride my 06 Bandit down in Cali...an exotic to them Bigsmile
nanbil
TEDIUM

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2007, 03:33:03 pm »

...at the cafe at the top of the twisties walk away secure in the glow of owning the only example there... an exotic in the midst of the masses

Bigok

DFH

Um, I live in Oklahoma...not too many twisties here :shrug:oh well I can still rest in the knowledge that I have an exotic Inlove

Carpe Diem
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal