Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Garmin Zumo 550 Map Updating Problems  (Read 24024 times)

doodah man
I slip out of myself like a shadow and somersault through walls.

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
GPS: Calgary AB
Miles Typed: 433

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:28:35 am »

I bought my Garmin Zumo 550 three years ago and had never updated maps.  I just did the lifetime map update for $120 and downloaded CN North America NT 2011 Map Update onto my Mac computer.  I attempted to load "Full Coverage of North America" and was told there was not enough free space on my GPS.  Ditto for US and Canada.  Now I am forced into downloading partial coverage.  I chose Canada and border states because I live in Canada.  I am going to pick up a motorhome in Florida on Thursday.  I try to type in a Florida address and the GPS no longer recognizes Florida!  Still shows it on the overall map, just can't find an address.

I don't panic yet.  I buy an 8 GB SD card and install Garmin MapInstall.  I run MapInstall but it says I have no maps!  Apparently it can't figure out that I have downloaded an update.  I reinstall "Canada and border states" but this time install to my Mac as well.  Now Map Install shows a map but there is no easily visible means of installing a map.  Then the final insult when I quit MapInstall is it asks if I am sure I want to quit because I haven't installed any maps!

Now I am at my usual point with Garmin where their customer support sucks and I want to punch somebody in the face.  Anybody solved this?  Even if I could go back to my original state of 3 years ago would be an improvement.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

jwhite518

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 05 FJR1300, 96 BMW R1100RS
GPS: SF Bay Area
Miles Typed: 4644

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 01:16:53 am »

I was not aware that you could store maps on the SD card. I thought it was for music only. As you, I recently became aware that the Zumo 550 can't hold the entire CNNANT update. Have assumed that if I needed map detail that wasn't loaded in the Zumo, I'd have to re-run the update program and choose a different region.

You want to know what's weird - my Streetpilot 478, which is way older than the Zumo, holds the whole mapset.

IBA #386
Bearly Flying

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 05- FJR 1300, 85- FJ 1100
GPS: Ponoka, Alberta
Miles Typed: 252

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:43:23 am »

I just went through the exact same thing.... I had consumed a couple beverages during the 8 hrs of analyzing my software with the Zumo connected, upgrading and downloading,

So like you when the message appeared about only loading partial maps,,, I had a major cerebral hemorrhage, resulting in a very unkind reply to their "Contact Us" Dept.

Wherein they were informed their entire IT Dept should be fired and the V.P. of their Customer Service should be forced to reimburse the Company for ALL his Salary and bonus's, cause obviously He doesn't know SHIT about his customers. I can't remember if I called their Mother's heritage into the discussion, but it was not very polite.

I had 3 emails within a couple hours asking me If I Had Concerns, Ya, Your freaking right I got concerns........

One of the techs calmed me down enough and gave me directions on how to download all the maps, Hopefully it works as I'm leaving on May 10th for an extended tour.

I would suggest following my example and giving them the biggest dump of Shit you can dream up and possibly through our subtle approach, Garmin will finally update to a more usable, friendlier website'

Please post up and let us know of your creative use of the English langauge......
Advertisement

Diablo Rojo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2005 R1, 2011 Spyder
GPS: Redneckastan
Miles Typed: 598

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:46:46 am »

Just upgraded after 3 years myself and had the same results.  If they had a warning before the download I would have kept the original with all of N.A.  Mad2

Garmin says to add an SD card to store multiple regions.  Haven't tried it yet, so keep us informed on your progress doodah.

All Who Wander Are Not Lost - Tolkien
Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:49:48 am »

The simple fact is that the Zumo 550 won't hold all of North America in internal storage since the 2008 maps.  

If you use Map Install to deselect the New York metro area and the bedroom states, you'll get the rest of the country, and you'll still have all the major corridors in those area you didn't select, just not all the secondary roads.  Even POI's will work for those areas.  

That is, if you can get Map Install to recognize the 2011 maps (did you unlock them via Mapsource yet?)

There's a lot of good information and potential help at http://www.zumoforums.com too, register there and ask the same question.

And guys, calm down a bit.
Bearly Flying

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:22:39 am »

And guys, calm down a bit.

Give me a Fucking break.......

I have never gone through as painful an upgrade as the Garmin Bullshit.

There is absolutely NO FUCKING reason for the bullshit they are peddling.

It started with an hour long analyzing of my software and Zumo.... If these fucktards can't figure out exactly what my zumo has and the memory available in that time frame and provide a warning at that point they are seriously behind times.

They command a top dollar for their products and manipulate the market to ensure their prices stay extremely high, and then provide this level of substandard service.........

CALM FUCKING DOWN.....Ya I'll calm down when these ASSHOLES start earning their paycheck....

I've got freeware on my computer that updates seamlessly and works excellently. These Cocksuckers have got serious money from me and have got to be the worst bunch of pricks to maintain their product of anybody.

So if You want to CALM DOWN, Your not helping the rest of us, because those Cocksuckers have to be told in No Uncertain terms they SUCK at Customer Service...

Just my humble opinion, It's OK, I'm calm now......... Where the Fuck is my gun......... Crazy
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 02:35:41 am »

The fact that you're an excitable idiot shouldn't be Garmin's responsibility.  

I've upgraded mine three times now and it was relatively painless, because I RTFM and did a little research on Garmin's site first.
Bearly Flying

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 03:00:03 am »

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Yes I did read the manual, and yes I followed ALL their instructions.

I fail to see how anything I did contributed to the upgrade process that Garmin uses.

The update program analyzed my computer with the 550 attached for approx 1 hr, Then started into the upgrade of my software for approx another 3 hours( with NO visual clues of progress other than a circle spinning around)

Then went into the Map Upgrade for another 4 hours, When all of this was completed. Up comes the message of limited space.

Now I am a fairly patient person, but this is getting a bit much.

So with Your Superior Zen like attitude, Please enlighten the unwashed masses of the Secrets to the Universe Oh Holy Master.

Otherwise STFU.
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 03:08:47 am »

I did already.  

Step 1:  Calm down
Bearly Flying

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 03:40:36 am »

Croak; If your Happy with Garmin... Fine

Obviously other people are not.

If No One voices their displeasure, nothing will change. Obviously I got their attention and hopefully with a few more responses Garmin will improve their service.

So if you want to sit in the background with your condescending remarks, Fine.
Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 09:01:10 am »

Garmin customer service sucks. You need to be an IT guy to own a Zumo and use all the features. I'm not an IT guy. Spent the better part of a week doing my first map update. Spent an hour on the phone with Garmin. They couldn't figure out the problem. Turned out my 'puter was too slow. Used my wife's and had it done in about 2 hours.
Mapsource sucks. When I first got my Zumo, it would hiccup and give me a blank map. The Zumo Forums guys told me about a glitch where it defaults to Antarctica...seriously. For the money you spend you'd think they'd have the bugs worked out and be capable of fixing what isn't. I, too, sent a scathing e-mail and got zero reply. They don't care. The check is cashed.
That said, I haven't seen anything that competes with Garmin. They have the market cornered, but I think (hope) TomTom is getting better.

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 09:47:12 am »

I just went through the exact same thing.... I had consumed a couple beverages during the 8 hrs of analyzing my software with the Zumo connected, upgrading and downloading,

So like you when the message appeared about only loading partial maps,,, I had a major cerebral hemorrhage, resulting in a very unkind reply to their "Contact Us" Dept.

Wherein they were informed their entire IT Dept should be fired and the V.P. of their Customer Service should be forced to reimburse the Company for ALL his Salary and bonus's, cause obviously He doesn't know SHIT about his customers. I can't remember if I called their Mother's heritage into the discussion, but it was not very polite.

I had 3 emails within a couple hours asking me If I Had Concerns, Ya, Your freaking right I got concerns........

One of the techs calmed me down enough and gave me directions on how to download all the maps, Hopefully it works as I'm leaving on May 10th for an extended tour.

I would suggest following my example and giving them the biggest dump of Shit you can dream up and possibly through our subtle approach, Garmin will finally update to a more usable, friendlier website'

Please post up and let us know of your creative use of the English langauge......

Interesting post -- not useful, but iunteresting.

perhaps you can tell the rest of us what Garmin finally told you?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:49:35 am by bomber » Logged

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
BillL

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 1982 CB900F, 2013 Multistrada 1200
GPS: St. Paul
Miles Typed: 198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 09:57:40 am »

I went through the same thing.  The simple fact is that the North American map set no longer fits in the Zumo with out making space.  I blew out a bunch of stuff in the languages section, I think.  I don't remember for sure.  I don't have the unit here at work.

There is help over at zumoforums.com, too.

It's an aging device and, in my opinion, Garmin doesn't yet have a good replacement.  My maps probably won't get updated beyond where they are now.

And yes, their "choices" of what portions to load or not load suck.  Their mapsets are bloatware.  Just like most software packages on the planet.
doodah man

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 12:48:20 pm »

I passed out around 2:30 AM while still waiting for the maps to load onto the SD card.  After fucking around for a good 4 hours or so last night I think I figured it out.

The map did eventually show up on MapInstall.  I had failed to realize previously that you have to click on every little individual area you want to download, and of course Garmin has zero information on their website to tell you how to use MapInstall.  So I had to zoom in on some metropolitan areas to make sure I clicked all the little areas and after zooming in and out, panning, and clicking about 50 fucking times I had all of Canada and the US selected.

Miraculously MapInstall found my SD card and I sent the maps to the SD card.  When I woke up the maps had installed to the SD card.  I rebooted the Zumo and it looks like it automatically reads the SD card because now it looks like I have all of Canada and the US, in detail.

In the end, assuming that this is indeed working as I think it should, it is not that difficult a process, just time consuming as it takes a long time to download the maps from Garmin, and then another long wait to upload them to the SD card.  What I didn't need was the extra aggravation caused by Garmin not having one helpful word in the customer support section of their website.  Want to write a FAQ?  Try writing one about how to update the maps on your Zumo when you don't have enough memory.  Are you listening, Garmin?

I had some initial problems getting my Zumo up and running 3 years ago and contacted Garmin customer service.  I thought they were useless tools then and things could only get better in the three years since.  Apparently not.  I agree 100% with Bearly Flying.  I spent $900 on the Zumo and another $120 on the map update.  Things should work seamlessly and be user-friendly and intuitive, or else Garmin should provide good documentation.  I mean the only products Garmin makes are GPS ferchrissakes!  I Googled for Garmin customer service reviews and there are a whole shitload of people who feel the same way as Bearly Flying.  These guys are pricks and I think they know they have the market covered, they do a good sales pitch to suck people into buying their product, at that point they have your money and know you can't go anywhere else, and they just don't give a fuck.

Oh, and by the way, I read somewhere on the Internet before buying my card that the Zumo could read up to 16 GB on an SD card.  However, using MapInstall I could only access 4 GB of my 8 GB card.  Guess that's an extra $15 I wasted on card capacity I can't use.  Of course the maximum SD card size that can be read isn't given in the Zumo 550 manual (or on the Garmin website).  So Croak, yes I did read the fucking manual and it didn't help when it came to SD card sizes or updating the maps.  I am calm but I do like to swear a lot when assholes are involved.  Garmin, you truly suck ass.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:54:17 pm by doodah man » Logged
bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 01:47:00 pm »

Often, re-formatting the card helps a device "read" it in it's entirety.

Agreed that Garmin's docs and support are sub-par, in general, but, sadly, about par for the course in their industry, from what I've been told (I"ve only used Garmin and Lowrance).

It does sound like you've got a computer/connection issue - those times are very long.

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 03:08:06 pm »

Oh, and by the way, I read somewhere on the Internet before buying my card that the Zumo could read up to 16 GB on an SD card.  However, using MapInstall I could only access 4 GB of my 8 GB card.  Guess that's an extra $15 I wasted on card capacity I can't use.  Of course the maximum SD card size that can be read isn't given in the Zumo 550 manual (or on the Garmin website).  So Croak, yes I did read the fucking manual and it didn't help when it came to SD card sizes or updating the maps.  I am calm but I do like to swear a lot when assholes are involved.  Garmin, you truly suck ass.

I'm running a 16 gig card in my Zumo, and using quite a bit of it.  nearly 1000 high quality MP3 files, a few Audible books, POI files, my entire Sprint service manual in .jpg format, along with a copy of MapSource, MapLoader, POIUpdater and complete CNNT 2010 NA map installer.

Other than the MapSource copy, I can access everything stored on the card via my Zumo.  All the music, all the pictures, etc.  I keep the Mapsource and map installer on it so I don't need to lug around a laptop when touring, so I can hit a 'net cafe or borrow somebody's unit to do any off-device routing and planning, and USB SD card readers are ubitquitous.

doodah man

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 08:02:30 pm »

Glad to hear you are getting everything you can out of your unit, Croak.  Wish I could say the same.  Download times were about an hour from the Garmin site and probably about the same from my computer to the SD card via the Zumo.  That was to transfer 1.2 GB of data to the SD card.  I think if I had put the SD card in a reader to download the maps it would have been faster.

It looks like the internal memory of the Zumo is only about 1.3 GB.

It's working now so I'm not going to reformat the SD card.
tigertom1965
Any GIS job openings available?

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 09 BMW R1200RT Black Sapphire w/Premium Package
GPS: Kunkletown, PA 18058
Miles Typed: 614

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 01:23:29 am »

I had problems with just the NA install (No Canada). I ended up deleting some of the extra voices. I only use one anyway. I also got rid of some of the vehicles.
I didn't know you could load the maps to the SD card and your Garmin would see it. That would solve a lot of problems.

I have almost 636 songs of about 3.4gb of mp3s and my whole NA map on my Garmin but I am finding the wait to be too damn slow until it loads everything.

When I turn it on it takes a good 7 minutes before I actually get directions now. I can pick directions but it takes forever before it says calculating. Before the update (And extra mp3s loaded) it only took maybe 1 minute. It takes that same 7 minutes before I can play my MP3s now as well, it was much quicker before. I have to turn it on in the house minutes before I leave just so I can get it to load everything right away. But I do have to sit in parking lots for awhile if I am not sure of my directions.

I don't think I will ever update this one again. It will be replaced with something that has better directions and road distinctions.

Can't the Weather Channel get the forcast right two days in a row?? It used to be that they could create a forecast for 2 days in the future and get it right. Now if it is more than 4 hours in th
B52

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Honda ST1300
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 11:26:55 am »

After reading these posts and several others, I don't think it worth the $$ or agravation.  I'm going to stay with Paper for another year. Cheaper too.

B52
mnb
Obliterates Stereotypes

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '96 BMW K1100LTSE, '07 HD Road King, '09 BMW F800GS
GPS: San Jose, CA
Miles Typed: 263

My Photo Gallery

Riding season is January 1 through December 31.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 01:27:20 pm »

After reading these posts and several others, I don't think it worth the $$ or agravation.  I'm going to stay with Paper for another year. Cheaper too.

Maps are aggravating as well:

The road you need isn't on the map.
You don't have the map you need.
You lose the map you had, which you now need.

It's all just data.  On paper in one form, digitally in the other.

I've had and upgraded my zumo many times over the 3 years I've had it.  It is a bit annoying that garmin failed to design enough memory into the device to allow for some growth, which should be expected as more details about areas are included in the maps, but overall, the device works well and covers quite a bit.

I keep only one voice loaded and all my mp3s are on cards, not taking  up internal memory.  So far, I've always been able to upgrade Canada and US.  I can't squeeze on Mexico.  It's be nice if I could install Mexico by itself on a card...  When the time comes that I need the GPS for Mexico, I'll give Garmin a call.  I've dealt with their customer support a few times and have found them to be excellent.  I don't yell or scream, I treat them with respect and they do the same to me and have always been able to resolve my problems.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal