Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 07 Red Norge Finds a new Home  (Read 6093 times)

sempervee

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 07 MG Red Norge, 07 DL1000 V-Strom.
Miles Typed: 60

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:09:53 am »

It only took one ride on my buddies  new 08 Black Norge to convince me I "needed" one!

It sits more comfortably for me than the FJR does.  Certainly not as fast but Way more elegant.  I hope the build quality matches it's sexiness and I can figure out the computer module to reset the trip meter, etc!!! LOL

Always wanted to own a Moto Guzzi and now I do.  After 37 years of riding HD's, BMWs' , FJR's Goldwings, etc I now have
  a Red 2007 Norge in the stable.... Hope to sort out rapidly and it becomes as satisfying as my 07 DL1000 Vstrom is.

MG seems to be the best of all worlds... A twin, no radiator, shaft drive, ABS brakes, single sided swing arm, Sexy European styling,
decent sized gas tank., etc...  Only hold back has been severely limited dealership support.

I do all my own maintenance so I hope to continue in that vein adjusting valves, Thorttle body sync etc...
  Pic laters.......
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:12:23 am by sempervee » Logged

37+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

* 2007 Red Moto Guzzi  Norge 1200   ~La Dolce Vita    2007 Black DL1000 V-Strom - VroomHilda  2005 BMW K1200 Dark Graphite - (So
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

AV8OR

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 233

My Photo Gallery

30 mike mike

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:13:23 am »

Where did you find yours?

Hawg!!
sempervee

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 10:47:26 am »

The Rainy Town of Seattle......

* 2007 Red Moto Guzzi  Norge 1200   ~La Dolce Vita    2007 Black DL1000 V-Strom - VroomHilda  2005 BMW K1200 Dark Graphite - (So
Advertisement

blakebird
Member since April '02

Reputation 24

GPS: Parker, CO
Miles Typed: 566

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 10:54:26 am »

and I can figure out the computer module to reset the trip meter, etc!!! 

You're familiar with the 'trigger pull' button to switch between mini-modes selected by the sliding switch?

Hold it down for a few seconds to reset the field showing.

IBA #11735  -  '16 Africa Twin  -  '12 Honda ST1300
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg39/blakebird/past%20bikes/?start=all
sempervee

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 11:23:16 am »

Thanks for the info!!  Gonna go down to the garage and try to figure this out since It is storming out ..

Don't want to be distracted while riding trying to understand the "MODE" button...   Factory service manual is not well written.
  I hope to find a Chiltons style manual very soon...  

ST NUT

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '07 Norge 1200 GT; '04 R1150GSA hack
GPS: Tacoma, WA
Miles Typed: 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 12:51:50 pm »

SemperVee--There's an unwritten rule that if you post up about getting a new bike you gotta POST PICS!!  Congrats on the Norge.  You and me will be like Tweedledum and Tweedledee if you make it to John Day.

Got new vanity plate 'ST NUT'; wife asks, "Who's Saint Nut?"  "I am, of course," said he.
blakebird
Member since April '02

Reputation 24

GPS: Parker, CO
Miles Typed: 566

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 02:59:33 pm »

Don't want to be distracted while riding trying to understand the "MODE" button...  

You'll be more distracted trying to read the tiny LCD numbers for 'elapsed time', 'average mpg', 'realtime mpg'....  Lol

IBA #11735  -  '16 Africa Twin  -  '12 Honda ST1300
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg39/blakebird/past%20bikes/?start=all
sempervee

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 10:51:27 am »

Pictures coming !!!    If the mode button does not leave me with a heart attack on the garage floor  !! LOL!!!
    Can't seem to get out of "CHRONO"...... Grrrrrrr...   or change language to English... tho Italian is appropriate... :^)

chornbe

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 11:27:25 am »

MODE button operation:

MODE - clock, volt meter and when NOT in motion, settings. Press the button on the back of the left control for 3 seconds to enter the Settings menu if necessary. Once there, you can change the shift light RPM, time, and other settings.

Trip meter 1 and 2 - same deal, hold down the finger button for 3 seconds to reset the trip meter. Top speed, avg fuel, etc., all reset together within the trip meter mode.

It's just not that hard. You're pressing the right button on the back of the left controls, right? It's not the trigger style at the top (that's the flash to pass), it's down more; a small square or round button that you have to reach your index finger down to.

Scroll to PDF page 17 at this link: http://www.guzzitech.com/MGGriso/Manuals/Breva1100IE05-ENG.pdf
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:32:06 am by JustCallMeChris » Logged
sempervee

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 11:42:08 am »

MODE button operation:

MODE - clock, volt meter and when NOT in motion, settings. Press the button on the back of the left control for 3 seconds to enter the Settings menu if necessary. Once there, you can change the shift light RPM, time, and other settings.

Trip meter 1 and 2 - same deal, hold down the finger button for 3 seconds to reset the trip meter. Top speed, avg fuel, etc., all reset together within the trip meter mode.

It's just not that hard. You're pressing the right button on the back of the left controls, right? It's not the trigger style at the top (that's the flash to pass), it's down more; a small square or round button that you have to reach your index finger down to.

Scroll to PDF page 17 at this link: http://www.guzzitech.com/MGGriso/Manuals/Breva1100IE05-ENG.pdf

Thanks Chris,

I am sitting in the Garage with the motor off on center stand...  Seems to take an in ordinate time to do anything...
   Will go by your suggestions.. thanks for the Dload...
  Off to the garage!

chornbe

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 11:52:45 am »

Thanks Chris,

I am sitting in the Garage with the motor off on center stand...  Seems to take an in ordinate time to do anything...
   Will go by your suggestions.. thanks for the Dload...
  Off to the garage!

To clarify, a quick push of the button will toggle through the available options, and pressing and holding the button for 3 seconds will take action (reset, enter the menu, etc.)
jdgretz

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Los Angeles area
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

The Fast Sexy Red Italian Norge

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 03:17:37 pm »

No, No, No - he's got a Norge, not the Griso/Breva controls.  Same principle but different.  The Norge has a slider/push button combination.  Holding the slider to one side for about 3 seconds will cycle through Trip 1, Trip 2, Mode.  A short push (approx. 1 sec) will cycle through the options of each major setting.  For example.  In Trip mode, the slider cycles through Average MPG, Instant MPG, Highest Speed since last reset, and Hobbs meter time (time running) since last reset.  In "Mode", pushing in the button selects the option, the slider moves between options.  To get out of Mode, hold the slider to the left for 3 seconds and you will get back to Trip 1 or 2.  Otherwise you cycle through Settings, Chrono, and Voltage.

The correct link for the Norge stufftm is http://www.guzzitech.com/MGGriso/Manuals.html, then find the one you want.

jdg

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/US/CA/Canoga_Park.gif
'07 Norge - Sophia, '99 Honda Helix '76 Honda CJ360T, '03 Honda Shadow (The Loaner)
chornbe

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 03:20:13 pm »

Headscratch that's dumb (making it different on that one model, I mean)

Oh well... crazy pasta grinder makers!  Lol
surfsup

Reputation 43

Motorcycles: Shopping…
GPS: down east - nc
Miles Typed: 2426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 10:15:10 pm »

i'm back to looking at MGs  - my my my - the norge was on my top 3 prospects two years ago - but went with a feejer instead.

i was actually on my way to test ride a norge when i bought an FJR. as nice as the FJR is - it turned out to be a boring bike for legal speeds and 80% typical riding that i do. somehow - being an old HD rider i keep hoping the grunt of the big italian V will help over come the boredom - and the euro build and looks will keep me interested?

anyways i was catching up on the MG posts - read your's and it resonated - a big congrats on your new norge!

sempervee

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 12:18:32 am »

Well it is a month later and I am still on my Italian Honeymoon.  I find that it alot of fun winding out the big twin,  It is very elegant and settled on the freeway at speed and that I am burning oil at an alarming rate.  I hope to find out that it is just not fully broken in yet is all..

one note of interest is that the Norge carries passenger and rider way more comfortably then the FJR....

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 12:28:26 am »

It is very elegant and settled on the freeway at speed and that I am burning oil at an alarming rate.  I hope to find out that it is just not fully broken in yet is all..

hmmm...my V11 never used oil from day 1.

I took a 9000 km trip and found that it only needed about a sip to top it off.

I'd keep an eye on that. Guzzi quality control is notoriously spotty.

Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 09:43:02 am »

Well it is a month later and I am still on my Italian Honeymoon.  I find that it alot of fun winding out the big twin,  It is very elegant and settled on the freeway at speed and that I am burning oil at an alarming rate.  I hope to find out that it is just not fully broken in yet is all..

My 1200 Breva Sport hasn't used any oil, or if it has it's hardly noticeable. Sometimes it takes these big twins a greater amount of time to truly break in. I remember passing 900 miles and the bike seemed like it broke through a barrier; it shifted better, the engine became livelier, everything became even more fun and engaging. As the miles pile on it's getting better and better.

I have to breakout the Bandit just so it doesn't stultify.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
crispiegee1

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2001 Yamaha YZF600R; 1974 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado
GPS: Buffalo, NY
Miles Typed: 1227

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 06:59:55 pm »

SemperVee,

I've always loved and admired Moto Guzzis (my dad has had his for almost 37 years), but wasn't ever sure that I could feel totally fulfilled with a v-twin. Other people love them, but they don't make as much power, don't rev as high, etc.

Man, I've now had mine for five whole days and I just can't stop smiling about it. "Elegant" is the right word.

I've come to the conclusion that trying to buy a motorcycle based on power-to-weight ratio, absolute horsepower or what magazine reviewers say is like trying to buy a painting based on how many colors were used or how big the canvas is. It's about what moves you.

Make sure you keep us apprised of your experiences and people's reactions to it. It's one of the funniest parts of being a Moto Guzzi owner.  Smile

Chris
sempervee

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 11:34:23 pm »

SemperVee,

I've always loved and admired Moto Guzzis (my dad has had his for almost 37 years), but wasn't ever sure that I could feel totally fulfilled with a v-twin. Other people love them, but they don't make as much power, don't rev as high, etc.

Man, I've now had mine for five whole days and I just can't stop smiling about it. "Elegant" is the right word.

I've come to the conclusion that trying to buy a motorcycle based on power-to-weight ratio, absolute horsepower or what magazine reviewers say is like trying to buy a painting based on how many colors were used or how big the canvas is. It's about what moves you.

Make sure you keep us apprised of your experiences and people's reactions to it. It's one of the funniest parts of being a Moto Guzzi owner.  Smile

Chris you really went OLD School with a 74 Eldo!!
   After having so many harlees and other bikes including an FJR1300 This Guzzi hits the sweet spot.. A nice mix or old and new technology.
Welcome to the cult !    I had to take off my Leo Vince pipes  (For Sale)  from the V-Strom 1000 to get my S/O to ride My Vstrom to get some time riding on "La Dolce Vita Baby" when we go riding together.

Chris

Petrov

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 R6
Miles Typed: 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 11:40:41 am »

Guzzitech.com has lots of useful info. You will need a  VDST computer to service your bike. Its 200$, but the neat part is, you get to test each electronic component with it.
Remmber, only run 60W oil in the bike. Many folks like redline motorcycle 60W its quites down the valve train.
Also people get good results with redline gear oils.

Just out of curiosity, at what mileage do people change the oil here for their Grisos/Brevas/Norges? What brand?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal