Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Anybody get any riding in?  (Read 8270 times)

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Explorer & 2007 Speed Triple
GPS: 42.61N -87.86W (Elev. 672 ft)
Miles Typed: 3579

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2007, 10:42:44 am »

I was able to ride a short one Sunday it was mid-50s and sunny I only saw one other Buell out riding.

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&[email protected]! oil light keeps coming on..."
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 11:12:03 am »

We had a huge change in our weather out West.

80's...that's right!  mid to high 80's in Socal!  Sunny blue skies and no fog.  So...everyone went out riding.  Me and another Buell rider, Aspalt_Carver, got about 225 miles in.  We went to worship THE Mountain (Palomar Mountain in northeastern San Diego County).  There were a ton of sportbikers doing the same thing.  Quite a few posers too.  Can't stand some of those....they go about as fast in the corners as does a turtle, then nail the throttle in the straights!  Grrrrr....... Mad2  I nearly passed one on the OUTSIDE of a turn just to make my point.  But better judgement kept me from doing so. Saw those new 1098's for the first time, and a BMW R1200S.  Handsome motorcycles.

We saw a few other Buells along Highway 76.  Mostly Lightnings if I remember correctly.

Rogue
CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 11:22:51 am »

Funny thing I was at a gas station and was aked what the heck kind of bike is that I was told I would get alot of that owning one of these. I just bought it the Buell a few months ago so it was my first ride Sunday. I had a bad gas problem so it didn't run the greatest till I was able to get some fresh stuff in there and cleared almost all the way up. I will run her down again and add some seafoam to it to clean the injectors.

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&[email protected]! oil light keeps coming on..."
Advertisement

Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 12:19:27 pm »

We get that all the time!   Lol

The bike will sometimes draw a small crowd with questions like:  Is that THE Buell?  They're small!  How do you like it?   Bigsmile

I guess when it's sort of rare, people are curious.  

Of course the 1098 drew the biggest crowd!

The BMW R1200S....not even noticed.   Lol

Rogue
CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:57:50 pm »

Mine is kinda bright  Lol

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/Photonut1/c5539550.jpg
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 01:13:14 pm by CBRXXBLACKBIRD » Logged

Joe.

Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 01:35:26 pm »

Nice!   Thumbsup

That was THE Buell that got me interested in the brand.  I remember the ads and the road tests.  The bike just has that attitude no other bikes at the time had.

Rogue
naustin

Reputation 9

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1410

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 05:01:15 pm »

I went riding on Sunday too.  It was only 43 degrees here though, but I still got a solid hour in.  

Blackbird, that's a nice X1.  When I bought my S3, the dealer tried to tell me it ran bad because of bad gas.  With good gas, like you - the bike ran better, but not perfect.  I took it back to the dealer and they screwed me over 6 ways from Sunday and even lied about changing the oil and primary fluid.  There are only about 4 dealerships in the country who are trust worthy when it comes to working on a buell, so I hope you do your own work.

I would defiantly suggest that you check your intake seals for leaks.  This is a common maintenance item because the little rubber seals degrade over time.  My bike had an occasional stutter, burble, gurgle issue at low rpm, and it would miss once in while at about 4 grand.  It turned out to be the intake seals leaking(right where the Intake runner meets the head) causing the bike to go lean.  

Test for leaks by spraying water with a garden hose set to mist.  Don't use carb cleaner, wd40 or anything else, just water.  Any chemicals can degrade the rubber seals and make it worse.  Don't be shy about spraying a good healthy amount of water up there - if the rpm changes at all you have a leak.  Even if you don't get a positive test, you might want to replace them just to be sure.  I tested 3 times before I got a positive result and wasted a lot of time screwing around with the fuel injection and sensors.  Once I changed my seals, the bike ran perfect.  They are cheap.  You can order them online at www.americansportbike.com from Al Lighton.  Give him a call and he'll get you everything you need.  A lot of "old school" bueller's will replace these seals every 3rd or 4th season as preventative/regular maintenance.  You might let him talk you into the Software to interface your computer to the bike's computer for fuel injection diagnosis as well, if you plan to do your own work in the future.  

Like I said, you're nuts to hand a buell over to an HD technician. Crazy They're more likely to sabotage it than fix it in my experience. Luckily, Buells are about as easy to work on as any bike ever made.

Also keep an eye on your front isolator.  The rubber there will also degrade with time and temperature (Heat cycles and wheelies seem to be the culprit).  Thankfully, they are cheap and easy to replace as well.  

Thumbsup  Glad to hear you were out on the Buell.  It's defiantly a good looking Bike!

Nick

EDIT - PS - I Blackbird, I figured out your location.  You're lucky to be so close Appleton HD/Buell.  If you are going to take the bike to a dealer, they're the best in the country.  Talk to Andy in Sales.  People fly to appleton from all over the country just to buy their buell from a dealer that actually knows Buell.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 05:06:59 pm by naustin » Logged

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 05:27:42 pm »

Yeah changing the gas was night and day. I still have a little of the bad in there but its better then when I first started out. I hope I don't have all the problems people say I am going to have with this bike. I hope its just people just saying that to bash the bike.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 05:45:26 pm by CBRXXBLACKBIRD » Logged

Joe.

PlayWithGravity

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 06 Buell Firebolt
GPS: Raleigh, NC
Miles Typed: 176

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 06:59:55 pm »

I got out on Saturday (in northern Ohio) for a short hour and a half.  FINALLY the weather's starting to break!!   LOOOOOVE IT!!  I've been waiting for months for this good weather!!  Think I can even get it to work Tuesday Smile

Zoom - zoom = -
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4630

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 07:33:47 pm »

The BMW R1200S....not even noticed.   Lol

I find this odd--I ride a Buell, and yeah I've been asked a few questions, but I think the R1200S is one cool bike, and if I saw one parked I'd be all over it!

E=MC2
naustin

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 08:18:57 pm »

I hope its just people just saying that to bash the bike.

You will never have a shortage of naysayers and bashers....  Most people just don't get it.  Of course, most people have never riddin a bike with 90ft lbs of torque at ~5000 rpm before either.  Inlove

You won't have any real problems as long as you know your bike and what it needs.  No machine is maintenance free.  Think of the two areas I mentioned earlier as making up for the lack of valve adjustments and drive chain maintenance.  Thumbsup

tankhead
I took the road less traveled and it has made all the difference.

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Supere Tenere
Miles Typed: 785

My Photo Gallery

One time and one time only.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 05:26:28 am »

I did get a ride in this Saturday down here in southern New Jersey.  I drove to Barb's Harley Davidson in Collingswood.  I went there by route of back roads and no major arteries.  When I got there the receptionist snarled a bit about the Free Buell give away hats.  She said that they were not participatiing in this.  "Don't be offended," she said, "but we have sold about three Buells."  I said well that is odd I got the sling bag here when I bought my City-X from you.  So I just ass-umed that you would be participating in this give away. There was some type of celebration going on so I indulged in three mini italian hoagies and got the hell out of Dodge.  Very pretentious typical Harleyesque attitude.  Last weekend I rode Saturday for about two hours and all day Sunday.  Temps in the low 40's, three layers of shirts, two layers of biking tights, full leathers, neck warmer, hot pad inserts in the gloves, and rode about tow hundred miles last weekend.  I really dig my City-X.
PlayWithGravity

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 08:14:01 am »

the receptionist snarled a bit about the Free Buell give away hats. Very pretentious typical Harleyesque attitude.  I really dig my City-X.

Ahhhhh, yes . . .    this deserves a THREAD of it's OWN!!  I couldn't agree more.  Here in Ohio it's tough to find a Buell dealership to give you the time of day, since they're all H-D dealerships first and Buell dealerships second.  P*sses me off.

F&S Harley/Buell in Dayton is the only place worthy to wear the Buell badge on front of their building.

Zoom - zoom = -
CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 08:17:08 am »

When I got there the receptionist snarled a bit about the Free Buell give away hats.  She said that they were not participatiing in this.  

I got two free Buell hats  Bigsmile  

Joe.

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 11:10:21 am »

Rode to work today I hear temps up to 75 yahoo.....

Joe.

PlayWithGravity

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 11:13:42 am »

I rode, too - can't wait for LUNCHTIME!!  (Although its ONLY supposed to reach 69 or so here.)  Cool

Zoom - zoom = -
CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 11:19:21 am »

Same here I have a meeting across town and I can't wait for it... Crazy  Boy thats sounds crazy but gives me a excuse to go ride the bike Lol

Joe.

grlryder

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12Scg
Miles Typed: 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 07:33:53 pm »

Took my bike out for the first time since Jan 1.  The temps were around low 50's, but perfect for a short cruise. She started right up and I never stopped smiling the whole ride.
naustin

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 07:39:10 pm »

RE: the snarling hat hording receptionist - that's typical.  After you buy your buell, never, ever go back to the dealership and under no circumstances take it back to them for service.  They'll be much happier and so will you.  

Do your own service, and if you have a problem, call Buell Customer Service directly.

Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 01:03:20 pm »

Tankhead- In the past, I did go to Barb's for parts and to look but got the same attitude as you did.  And at that time, there was about 3 Buells on the floor.

If you live a little further north, Brian's HD/Buell in Langhorne, PA is a much "happier" place to go.  

mastros2.wordpress.com
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal