Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: My Modified 2008 Hayabusa- Sport Touring at its Fastest!  (Read 20599 times)

Gato

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Suzuki Hayabusa
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:51:47 pm »

Hello, I am new to this site, so I thought I'd begin by telling everyone a little about my ride:

I bought my '08 Busa in '08 and have been having work done on it from Dave "Witchdoctor" Lanigan at Speeddealer Motors in Seattle.  I rode it down to LA when we were transferred last year, and have been using it for commuting and touring ever since.  Here is a list of what I have done to it so far (I think I forgot a few things):

'08 Busa / 2 Bros full ex / Scorpio SR-i900 / Corbin saddles / HiD lights / Muzzy fans / Powerlets / SpeedoHealer / custom TRE / PCIII USB and Autotune unit / Givi luggage / custom 800 watt stator / airbox mod / WWB ceramic bearings / Tiger chain guard / Convertibars / mirror extensions / Garmin Zumo GPS with bluetooth and MP3 / Adaptiv radar detector / Laminar Lip windscreen / billet kickstand / Vortex sprocket 41 tooth / APE shift shaft / Pingel electric quickshifter / Factory Pro billet velocity stacks / custom cams / custom gas tank paint / oil baffle / oil pump / high volume oil gear / frame sliders / braided lines / Autocomm communications / Pazzo levers / Tiger Racing cannards / Throttlemeister /  Back-cut transmission / Crampbuster / Grip Puppies / Buell peg mod / Ohlins Steering Damper
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:05:39 pm by Gato » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 06:32:34 pm »

Awesome 'Busa man.  Thumbsup

halloween over.
desert_rider
When in doubt - keep moving!

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s, 1977 Yamaha XS360
GPS: Yucca Valley, SoCal
Miles Typed: 2307

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:41:41 pm »

Very nice set up!

Welcom to ST-N.

IBA#39121
Advertisement

Flyer
Just put me back up on the bike.

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi Tre Volumetrica "Lampo Bianco", Kona NuNu "The Slug", Colnago C50 "La Spada di Cambiago", Kona Jake the Snake.
GPS: "O Canada, We Stand On Cars and Freeze"
Miles Typed: 6858

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:38 pm »

Looks like a hyper-comfortable hyper-bike!
 Bigok

“Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it".   Flannery O'Connor.
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2125

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 03:21:06 am »

Beautiful bike. If I had a garage, I think there would be a Busa in it. Too worried to leave it outside for thieves.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
MadMax96
Old Skool Forever

Reputation 5

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: Round Lake, IL
Miles Typed: 1273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 12:52:55 am »

Very nice - love the color.   Thumbsup

Oh yeah, welcome to the site.  Beerchug

-Matt
Rocket_Cowboy
Long Distance Rider

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, SV1000S
GPS: Dallas, TX
Miles Typed: 421

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 01:10:08 am »

Very nice ride! The busa is what got me into sport-touring, and the busa is the only bike I've ever regretted selling.

2006 BMW R1200RT
2004 Suzuki SV1000S
IBA #21653, AMA, BMW MOA blog, pictures
FiremanBob

Reputation -530

Motorcycles: 2001 Blackbird, 1964 Honda CB77
Miles Typed: 1561

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:14:52 am »

Beautiful. It's nice to see a Hayabusa tastefully modded, not stretched and blinged like some punk squid's bike.

"Government is not the solution. Government is the problem."
knolltop314

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 GSX650F
GPS: NW of St Louis
Miles Typed: 1015

My Photo Gallery

So, what's the problem?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 12:54:43 pm »

Nice!
That's what ya call "makin it your own".   Thumbsup

+-+-Michael-+-+
Gato

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 07:31:58 pm »

Beautiful. It's nice to see a Hayabusa tastefully modded, not stretched and blinged like some punk squid's bike.

Lol Lol  I'm not one to knock anyone for personalizing their ride, but I do think that dropping and stretching a bike is only OK if it is going on the drag strip, and excessive amounts of chrome only look decent on a cruiser- but, that's just me.

I suppose there are plenty of sportbike riders that think it is sacrilege that I threw hard luggage and a passenger backrest on a Hayabusa, but it does make a good platform for sport-touring- out of the bikes I looked at in my price range, it was the most comfortable "hyper" bike that I was able to fit on - I'm 6'4", and my wife is 6'.  There are also a surprising amount of after-market sport-touring mods and accessories for the Hayabusa.

90% of the mods on my bike were born out of practicality or necessity.  One of the big things I wanted was a bike that I could QUICKLY pull away from any hazardous traffic situation-  all while riding two up, with lots of luggage, already at highway speeds.  

There are plenty of quick bikes out there, but not too many that have the HP and the torque to be able to take off like a rocket while completely loaded down and cruising down the highway- the roll-on 65 MPH- XXX MPH capability is amazing- it makes me feel like my cheeks are being pulling back towards my ears if I pin the throttle while cruising at 65 mph- even when weighed down with wife and luggage.  I never pin the throttle while at low speed or at a stop- this bike demands a mature and respectful rider- something that all motorcycle riders should have, but not all bikes will punish you as quickly or as severely as a Hayabusa will.  After 25 years of motorcycle riding, I don't have the overwhelming need to show off or get stupid anymore.

A few years ago, we rode a BMW 1150GS on a three month trip around Australia when we were stationed in China, and aside from me nailing my shins on the Boxer cylinder heads sticking out the sides on a regular basis, and flipping on the heated grips accidentally when it was already over 95 degrees out (and not figuring out why my hands were sweating so bad for at least two hours), we had a great time.  
While I enjoyed the Beemer, the current crop within my budget did not quite have the power I wanted, so when we got back to the States, I sold my high-mileage TDM 850 (I wanted to keep it, but the wife thinks I only need one bike) and went for the Suzuki.  I am really curious to see what the new BMW V6 1600GT / GTL will be like- I'd be on the waiting list if I won the lottery, but government service does not support expensive hobbies.  Sad, although, many automotive / motorcycle manufacturers offer a discount to diplomats, so if we ever get stationed in Germany, we will have to revisit the issue of a Beemer in the stables.  Anyhow, I'm off to put some miles on the bike.  Happy Fourth of July everyone!!

Cheers,

Mark
KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2009 Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 623

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 01:52:53 am »

Very nice bike!  I'm about 6'4 and am looking at either a busa, zx-14, or K1300s as a hyper sport touring bike.  
Gato

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 03:43:11 am »

All of those would make good S/T rides- at a certain point it comes down to personal preference and your wallet: price, and the cost of insurance.  
If you plan on buying or needing a lot aftermarket items or upgrades, it helps to check into the availability and cost of those items so you don't get blindsided.  
I was pleasantly surprised to find more S/T mods and upgrades available for the Busa than I anticipated when it came time to buy a new bike.
When are you thinking about getting your new bike?

Cheers,

Mark
Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 08:57:19 am »

At first when I saw the title of the thread I...well, you don't want to know what I was thinking, but I clicked anyway. Lol Impressive! Way cool, in fact. Thumbsup I'm likin' it BIG TIME!! Sweet ride! Barely looks like a 'busa. Thanks for sharing.

So, how many people have called it a Beemer? Headscratch

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
Warchild
Rapin' Asphalt!

Reputation -84

Motorcycles: '08 Busa, '13 FJR1300
GPS: Tri-Cities, WA
Miles Typed: 236

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 11:23:04 am »

So, how many people have called it a Beemer?

No one has ever called my K8 a beemer....  Wink

This is a Rick Mayer custom seat built around the 4.7 gallon aux fuel cell....

At the start of the Utah 1088....

-
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2125

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 02:35:33 pm »

What are those connectors behind the fogs, something they came with or did you mock that up? I have the same or similar Hellas, and they simply have a rubber boot and two leads coming out of the back.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 02:50:47 pm »

Very sweet Busas - both of 'em.  

I like them a lot, but doubt my license could tolerate one for long.  I got into enough trouble with the Sprint - the GS is slowing me down in a good way.

Still - it is nice to look and dream...

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
Gato

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 03:30:29 pm »

Well... with that mondo aux. fuel tank nobody can say that you are not willing to go the distance! Bigsmile  Seriously- you go on any endurance rides or Iron Butt?

At first when I saw the title of the thread I...well, you don't want to know what I was thinking, but I clicked anyway. Lol Impressive! Way cool, in fact. Thumbsup I'm likin' it BIG TIME!! Sweet ride! Barely looks like a 'busa. Thanks for sharing.

So, how many people have called it a Beemer? Headscratch

Thanks for the compliments- I get the Beemer thing here and there.  Usually what I get is just ... confusion.  My tags wore out a week or so ago, and I had to take my bike in to the DMV and get it inspected since I had out-of-state tags.  

I arrived at the DMV in the morning, and I had the Busa parked out near the area where people wait to get inspected, and when I returned from getting my new plate, I was startled to look up and realize that there were three CHP officers and about and 4 or so other people standing around staring at my bike.  

This kinda spooked me for a moment- I'm not used to it, and with three law enforcement officers standing around staring at my bike made me wonder if I had some unpaid tickets (not likely), or had they noticed that my license plate cover distorts the digits printed on the plate (unintentional)?

As I got up closer to the bunch, I hear: "...I have no idea... there are no emblems or logos that I can see....  you see anything over there?....  nope.  nothing"  "Nope... nothing over here... So... Beemer..?..,  naah.  I think it is a Triumph.".   "Triumph??!!  no way!!"

....."Excuse me officers, is there a problem with my bike?"....

Well.....

Everything worked itself out- the CHP was just curious and they could not agree on the make of the bike, (there are no visible emblems logos, or stickers on the bike in it's current form), and the other people hanging around staring were doing exactly that- just being nosy sheep, and wondering what the CHP was so interested in.

So, the bike was a surprise hit at the DMV, and I'm glad it does not draw too much of a crowd- that would likely make it a larger target for theft.  So, yeah... people get curious and think that it a prototype BMW  or something here and there, but people generally like it, even die hards in the sportbike crowd.

Cheers,

Mark

DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 04:27:16 pm »

Well... with that mondo aux. fuel tank nobody can say that you are not willing to go the distance! Bigsmile  Seriously- you go on any endurance rides or Iron Butt?

Did Ozzy do drugs?   Wink

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
FiremanBob

Reputation -530

Motorcycles: 2001 Blackbird, 1964 Honda CB77
Miles Typed: 1561

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 06:58:01 pm »

Warchild, I love those HID driving lights. Where can I get a set?

"Government is not the solution. Government is the problem."
Gato

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 07:57:51 pm »

They remind me of the ones that Pashnit is selling, but his are LEDs:

http://www.pashnit.com/product/clearwater_lights.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:04:02 pm by Gato » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal