Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Why The Sportster Engine?...according to Erik Buell  (Read 25196 times)

Asphalt_Carver

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2007, 11:16:07 pm »

BMW-K,

You have some good choices but my two cents would be to cancel the VTR1000 off the list.  Nice motor, but the suspension is way out of date and it gets really poor gas mileage even for a big twin.  Since you already are a BMW owner, I would think that the R1200ST is too close to what you already own and that the K1200R maybe exactly what you really want.  The ZX-6 is a little high strung, but not unpleasantly so and since the XB12R is my Lightning's kin, you certainly can't go wrong there!

Summer is coming so just pull the trigger on one or preferably more than one!   Bigok
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Thunderbox

Reputation -59

Motorcycles: 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
GPS: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Miles Typed: 1099

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2007, 04:50:21 pm »

IMHO the Buell, including their engine is what the other manufacturers can't or won't build.  So it's just too easy.  I won't buy their machines.  What would we do if Buell built an in line 4.  We would probably buy the other guys in line 4 is what we would do. If you don't like Buells fine, ride whatever your money will buy.  We on the other hand will ride what we buy.  From the moment I first tried the 02 M2 I knew I was going to buy one.  Instant smile.  You don't get that with just any bike.

I have been riding bikes since 1969 and have owned over 15 new motorcycles of all makes and 20 used bikes.  For myself the Uly is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best motorcycle I have ever owned. #2 would be the 74 Mach III I bought new.  But it doesn't hold a candle to the Uly.  Buells are not for everyone and I am happy knowing that.  They are the other option in a real world motorcycle and they will continue to increase sales.  If you haven't had the good fortune and ridden one, I'm afraid that is your loss.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 05:45:19 pm by Thunderbox » Logged

Relatively few riders are lucky enough to discover that there is a lot more to a lifetime of motorcycling enjoyment than just going fast. Those who do... become "motorcyclists".  The re
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2007, 11:17:23 am »

From the moment I first tried the 02 M2 I knew I was going to buy one.  Instant smile.  You don't get that with just any bike.

I had the same experience when I first rode the Firebolt XB9R.  I knew that I was going to get one.

Rogue
Advertisement

Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4630

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2007, 03:11:53 pm »

I had the same experience when I first rode the Firebolt XB9R.  I knew that I was going to get one.

Hmmm...me, too!

E=MC2
Flat-Out

« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2007, 06:46:49 pm »

That's one reason GM uses it in the LS small blocks as well.  I think there's a big difference between deprecating pushrod technology in general, and criticizing an implementation like the HD engine.  Even in Evo form, it's nothing like as sophisticated a design as a Corvette LS6 engine.    Somebody needs to give HD a blank sheet of paper.

KeS

it's about 20 yrs too late though  Bigsmile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal