Poll
Question: What GPS do you use (or use most)?
Garmin: Nuvi - 111 (25.5%)
Garmin: Zumo - 160 (36.8%)
Garmin: Oregon - 3 (0.7%)
Garmin: Colorado - 0 (0%)
Garmin: eTrex - 11 (2.5%)
Garmin: GPSMap - 16 (3.7%)
DeLorme: PN-XX - 1 (0.2%)
Magellan: RoadMate - 3 (0.7%)
Magellan: eXplorist - 0 (0%)
Magellan: Maestro - 3 (0.7%)
Magellan: Triton - 0 (0%)
Garmin: Other/Discontinued - 62 (14.3%)
Magellan: Other/Discontinued - 2 (0.5%)
Other (Tell us below!) - 63 (14.5%)
Total Voters: 434

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: What GPS do you use?  (Read 52000 times)

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:18:15 pm »

Let's see which GPS brand/series/model is most poopular with STNers?  Smile

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:27:27 pm »

my Garmin 2610 has developed the DTs and is locking up, so I found a refurbed Zumo 450 -- still learning it (it's close enough that it's confusing).

I believe it'll be fine in a few more uses.

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:38:30 pm »

my Garmin 2610 has developed the DTs and is locking up, so I found a refurbed Zumo 450 -- still learning it (it's close enough that it's confusing).

Bomber you'll love the 450. I bought a brand new one two years ago for 369 and it's been a great unit.
The Zumo's are very robust, I like the waterproof, vibration-proof features and have found it very intuitive and easy to use.
It takes care of my MP3 needs also so I don't have to mess with an external Ipod or anything.

halloween over.
Advertisement

bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:46:42 pm »

Con -- I think you'll be right -- I havn't figure out how to move the map around without telling it to save a spot as a favorite, but I'm pretty sure I'm just being ham-fisted.

Turning off the 3D feature raised my opinion a great deal ;-}

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:51:02 pm »

Con -- I think you'll be right -- I havn't figure out how to move the map around without telling it to save a spot as a favorite, but I'm pretty sure I'm just being ham-fisted.

Turning off the 3D feature raised my opinion a great deal ;-}

Don't "tap" the screen with your fingertip when you're going to drag the map around. Place your finger on it softly + then drag.
The "tap" action will set a point. That is kind of a pain.

halloween over.
bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:53:50 pm »

Ah -- it's that softly part I'm having trouble with -- thanks, Con -- I'll keep practicing ;-}

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
denydog
Ready to Ride! (as long as it's not raining)

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 1982 Suzuki GS 1100E - BMW K1200R Sport - Barb's Suzuki GS500
GPS: Near Seattle Wa
Miles Typed: 1772

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 07:13:12 pm »

I think the poll should have allowed multiple votes since I split time between Nuvi in the car, and Zumo on the bikes.  I voted Zumo because I have two of them, but that also leaves out the Foretrex.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:55 am »

I've got a Garmin StreetPilot 2610 that has served me well for a few years.
But I got tired of it routing me to restaurants that aren't in biz anymore - last fall it took me to out in some farm fields for a non-existant dairy stand.  And I found I can no longer get updates for it... so I just got a Nuvi 765(t).

Having it play music and pause the music to give directions is quite nice.  I never listened to the 2610 on the bike.  But I don't care to be 'wired' to it, so I'm going to check out the FM and bluetooth funcitons - which reminds me to pair my phone to it - I don't care to talk 'thru' it, but it'd be neat to be notified when I get a call or text.

But it isn't bright enough to read the map on a sunny day - which is when I tend to ride most....
Good thing the 'repeat directions' button is at the top left where I can easily find it.
I just wish I could have the 'skip to next song' button on the screen at the same time as the 'repeat directions' button.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:26:58 am »

I've got a Garmin StreetPilot 2610 that has served me well for a few years.
But I got tired of it routing me to restaurants that aren't in biz anymore - last fall it took me to out in some farm fields for a non-existant dairy stand.  

I'm chuckling -- last year at the Regional, my wife and I decided we wanted some dinner at a little joint in Mineral Point.

Who knew there were two Mineral Points in Wisconsin -- one with, you know, buildings and streets and eateries and gas stations . . .. and one in the middle of a corn field, 30 some odd miles from the one with streets and stuff.

;-}

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:43:57 am »

I'm always amazed at how many people have the Zumos—those things are freakin' expensive!  EEK! I'm also amazed more people haven't looked at the Garmin Oregon. I'm loving mine (and it's a touchscreen so can be used with gloves).

But I know your choice of GPS depends on whether you also want to listen to tunes, yak on the phone, dial up weather, etc...so I guess if you do all those things all the time, dropping $800 on a GPS makes sense (I think, LOL).

I realized I also forgot to include Tom-Tom units in the poll...but I don't even know if they make any suitable for motorcycling?

Scott

bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 11:55:16 am »

I'm always amazed at how many people have the Zumos—those things are freakin' expensive!  EEK!
Scott

One word -- refurb.

50% discount, minimum.

;-}

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 12:01:59 pm »

Was just checking the Tom-Tom site...and didn't know they had a motorcycling unit called the "Rider" (original name, LOL).
http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=1&Language=4

I'll have to do some searching around here...has anybody gotten one yet? Any reviews?

Scott

PS - Yeah, a refurbished Zumo would be the way to go...I wouldn't mind having one...but I like the smaller Oregon 'cause I use it for bicycling too (a Zumo would look pretty funny strapped to a bicycle handlebar.  Lol )

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 12:03:08 pm »

Lol

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:03:51 pm »

Lol  Lol

Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Red 2002 Honda VFR Interceptor
GPS: Ottawa, ON, Great White North
Miles Typed: 1009

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:34 pm »

Am I the only one who uses a (very) old Garmin GPS V?
OK, so the base map dates from 2001, my loadable-via-serial-port maps (CitySelect North America V. 5) does not give me info on most backroads, but hey, for $150 (new in box) back in 2005, it did the trick in the last five years!

: proselyting daily for the Church of the Holy Interceptor and passing out the Kool-Aid.
http://www.grandcorbeau.com/images/icons.jpg
See you Aug. 2nd-5th, 2013 for SNOB III
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4574

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:50 pm »

Oh good gravy, those Star Wars voice-over clips are great.  Lol

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Mr. Whippy

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 01:04:03 pm »

I think the poll should have allowed multiple votes since I split time between Nuvi in the car, and Zumo on the bikes.  I voted Zumo because I have two of them, but that also leaves out the Foretrex.

This.

I use a Nuvi in the car, and eTrex on the bike.  I don't use audible prompts on the bike so the small, inexpensive eTrex fits the bill.  Nuvi isn't guaranteed for water resistance.
Cruzman

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 Yamaha FZ1
Miles Typed: 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 02:09:48 pm »

I am currently using a 5 or 6 year old TomTom one.  (on the bike) and a Garmin Nuvi in my cage.   The Nuvi is a bottom of the line GPS but does everything I need it to do in the car like traffic avoidance and take me here to my destination but does not have the necessary functions for route planning and stuff.  The biggest short coming and why it is not on my bike is the fact that I can not load routes into this device.  I am sure I can find some software that will do it, but until the warranty is up I am not going to tinker with it.  

The TomTom one has really been a great GPS.  I like the layout of the windows and the order that you do things.  It is very intuitive.  It is very easy to do route planning and even allows you to save these routes so you can use them over and over...  However stock it has a few drawbacks.  1. No trip computer function (this was why I bought the Garmin for the cage)  2. (no earphone connection so I can not tie it into my Motocom.   3.  The device is not water proof.  

Upgrade for solution to problem #1
I've found a solution to the lack of a trip computer.  Via the wonder world  of the World Wide Web...  I've came across a download called Tom Tom TripMaster.  This download brings out the full capabilities of the TomTom with very few drawbacks.  I highly recommend this as an addition to your tomtom.  The one option that this software has that I can not yet take advantage of is speed alert.  The software allows you to specify a speed and if your GPS supports it it will send out an audio signal alerting you to the fact your going to fast.  Other features of this software. 1) Large Speed Readout.  2) elevation readout. 3) Max Speed Readout.  4) average speed,  5) Distance   6 data logging,  (I am sure it does a bunch more but this is all I really use)

Upgrade for sa solution to number 2 no ear phone jack.  
When I found it was necessary to replace the battery in the TomTom I cracked the case and noticed how easy it would be to solder a connection onto the connections for the external speaker.  Then with some support from Radio Shack I was able to get a standard headphone jack and solder it in.   I didn't install the jack in the case since it was too tight a fit, but instead drilled a small hole and fed the wires through.  

I've not found a solution to number 3 yet, but I know I can do it.  so far anytime  the weather has gotten threatening I either drop it in my tank bag or it sits out behind the faring and as long as I am making decent speed it seems to come out without any issues.  

Cruzman  (noobe)
Atlanta, GA
 Past bikes 1981 Suzuki GS 750-EZ 1985 FJ1100 "Trigger" (Stock) Present bikes 2002 FZ1000 "Stella"  (slipon, Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, fender
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 03:51:59 pm »

Maybe I've just trained myself well...but I've never had a GPS that gave voice directions...and it's difficult for me to imagine ever needing that feature? (e.g. I'm surprised at how many people seem to depend on that!). I just glance at my GPS often, and always keep one of my data fields displayed that shows "Distance to Next (Turn)" so I always know exactly how much farther til the next navigation point.

Scott

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 04:09:06 pm »

Maybe I've just trained myself well...but I've never had a GPS that gave voice directions...and it's difficult for me to imagine ever needing that feature? (e.g. I'm surprised at how many people seem to depend on that!). I just glance at my GPS often, and always keep one of my data fields displayed that shows "Distance to Next (Turn)" so I always know exactly how much farther til the next navigation point.

Scott

I do the same, but I turn on the voice when I use it in the truck.  
Squareman357
ZX-14 Warg Rider

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '06 ZX-14, '03 GS500F, '02 CBR1100XX (sold), '03 Suzuki Katana (sold), '08 ZX-14
GPS: Chicago, IL
Miles Typed: 2051

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 03:53:53 pm »

Zumo 660.  The Vader and Yoda ads had me in tears.  That was some funny stuff.  Lol
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 07:09:24 pm »

I love my voice commands. Don't even bother looking at the screen for the most part unless I'm coming up on some screwed up interchange
and a quick glance down confirms the "stay left" or "stay right" vocals.

halloween over.
rabbott5

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1998 Kawasaki Concours,2008 Honda Goldwing
GPS: North Central Illinois
Miles Typed: 568

My Photo Gallery

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbott5

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 11:09:42 pm »

I'm still running a Streetpilot 2720.  I would love to upgrade to a weatherproof/bluetooth unit, I just don't want to shell out big bucks.  I'll bite the bullet when my 2720 dies or I'm the winning bidder of a Zumo 550 on Ebay.

"Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy **** what a ride!"
AMA#1077701
IB
MadMax96
Old Skool Forever

Reputation 5

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: Round Lake, IL
Miles Typed: 1273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 11:34:44 pm »

Used a 2610 for about 4 yrs - it's been acting up and I recently scratched the screen.  Just picked up a Nuvi 550 since it's waterproof.  I thought I wanted a Zumo 450/550 but didn't think I needed any of the added features.  The screen sizes are the same so it should be fine.  I also like the idea of it having a battery so I can walk around with it if I wanted to (has a mode to use while on foot).  this is the first one I've actually purchased new and not as a refurb.

Previously had 2610, before that a GPS V, and before that an eMap - all Garmin.

-Matt
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 09:16:12 am »

Man, no doubt about it—the Nuvi and Zumo are WINNERS! I'm still amazed more people don't use the smaller handhelds like the eTrex and the (newer and better) Dakota, Colorado and Oregon units. (It's almost as if people read Garmin's site, see the word "trail" next to those models, and think "Gee, guess I can't use that one since I'm on a motorcycle."  Lol)

But I'm not bashing the Nuvi/Zumo crowd. If I had the money I might get one, because the big screen is definitely nice. On the other hand, I have (knock on wood) good eyesight and have NO problems seeing the map on a smaller screen...and when it comes to GPS navigation, my Oregon delivers 100% of the functionality of either a Nuvi or a Zumo (well, except traffic reports and weather, but I don't really consider that "navigation").

Now I'm tempted to start a second GPS poll—specifically to ask Nuvi/Zumo users: do you just use your GPS for navigation? Or also for phonecalls, listening to music, listening to the radio, getting traffic and weather, etc?

(Come to think of it, are there any Nuvi models that do all that other stuff besides navigate? Or is that just limited to the Zumo?)

Scott

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 09:21:27 am »

Geezus F-ing Christ—I just looked at Garmin's Nuvi page, and there are...
different models of Nuvi GPS.

Sorry Garmin, but that's
OVERKILL.

Rolleyes

Someone needs to seriously give their marketing people some powerful sedatives!

Scott

PS - But wait! Don't we need at least 15 different versions of the Zumo specifically for motorcycles????  Lol

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 10:02:00 am »

I'm still using my trusty 60CS with 56MB of memory.  It's a pain to  have to load maps for where I'm going if I leave my "home" area.  As far as navigation goes it works very well.  However, the rocker button is starting to get a little flaky and I've noticed some condensation inside the screen as of late.  

The problem I have with the newer units is that the screens absolutely SUCK.  They are so washed out in the sun that it makes them hard to read at a glance.  Mine looks like a sheet of paper when you look at it, even in direct sunshine.  BTW I think this particular problem is the same on ALL the touchscreen models, even the "outdoorsy" models.

The only reason I'm looking toward the new Zumo models is because I want to use the unit as a hub.  By using the built in Bluetooth and MP3 player an can get rid of the iPod and the wires associated with the various hookups.  Heck you can even take a phone call if you are so inclined.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 10:36:52 am »

The problem I have with the newer units is that the screens absolutely SUCK.  They are so washed out in the sun that it makes them hard to read at a glance.  Mine looks like a sheet of paper when you look at it, even in direct sunshine.  BTW I think this particular problem is the same on ALL the touchscreen models, even the "outdoorsy" models.

I agree, the screens on the Dakota/Colorado/Oregon series aren't as bright as the eTrex/60CS series. That concerned me at first...but the Oregon 450 that I got (a newer model) has an improved screen...and I've found that when powered off the bike, it's fine—I've never had any trouble reading the screen (even in direct sunlight)...though it's still not as bright as the eTrex/60CS.

For me, the vastly increased screen resolution on the Oregon (and slightly larger screen size) makes up for the slight decrease in visibility.

The only reason I'm looking toward the new Zumo models is because I want to use the unit as a hub.  By using the built in Bluetooth and MP3 player an can get rid of the iPod and the wires associated with the various hookups.  Heck you can even take a phone call if you are so inclined.

Yep, this is clearly a big reason why people choose these models! I just think the prices on the Zumos are INSANE—I don't care if they have bluetooth, Sirius radio, weather, MP3s, etc. I know you can get them for less refurbished...but just on principle, I don't want to support Garmin's "Bend Over and Pay This" pricing for those units.

For this reason alone...I may break ranks and look into a Tom-Tom unit if I ever go big-screen...because Tom-Tom's pricing is a LOT more reasonable...

Scott

ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '04 ST1300A, '03 CB900F3, '92 CBR600F2, '82 GL1100, '81 CB750FE
GPS: Hampton, N.J.
Miles Typed: 1708

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 10:01:03 am »

I have 2610(2), 2730(2), and a 2820. They have been all used Garmin Streetpilots. One even came with a lifetime XM subscription. For my use, I have been very pleased with their performance. No issues at all! I have never been one to require the latest and greatest in equipment. None are wired into a headset for voice commands. They are strictly for dropping breadcrumbs, routing destinations, handling detours, and getting a fix on upcoming twisties.

The most I ever paid was $250 for a factory refurbished model(my first 2610).

Doc

Friends Don't Let Friends Early Apex.
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Reputation -1

Motorcycles: 2005 Yamaha FZ1; 1993 Suzuki VX800
GPS: Firmly planted in the Georgia red clay
Miles Typed: 230

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 10:30:35 pm »

I use the iGo8 software on my hp ipaq pda.  I recently added a rockstar so I can add it to my motocomm and have music and the gps commands.  I use it with the gurjon skins that add functions to the stock igo8.  

Loading routes is really easy, as is routing on the device.  I convert routes we share on my computer (unless Cruzman converts them for me) then copy them to the gps card.

since I'm running it on a pda, I'm not limited to the type of software I can run.  I also have tried Garmin but didn't find it as easy to use as igo8.

I like the headphone feature so I can get alerts, like for red light cameras and when I'm over the speed limit (only works on the interstate).  Also like getting the directions from my guy (yes, I changed the voice) so i don't need to look at the screen.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:32:49 pm by theWolfTamer » Logged

Fighting Lupus Daily
CLAY
formerly known as CLAY

Reputation 170

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: '03 B12S, 1979 XS650 Street Tracker, 97 XR650L 1975 Yamaha XS650
GPS: Grand Rapids, MI
Miles Typed: 9031

My Photo Gallery

Dean of Zombie University

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 08:51:56 pm »

Chris's 2610 is still functioning flawlessly.   Bigok

"Well I don't think Clay would make up some story.  He seems to be a pretty honest and sadistic guy to me."  -county
"This a'int high school, this is St.n. God help the meek"  -Kneescrubber
CLAY
formerly known as CLAY

Reputation 170

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: '03 B12S, 1979 XS650 Street Tracker, 97 XR650L 1975 Yamaha XS650
GPS: Grand Rapids, MI
Miles Typed: 9031

My Photo Gallery

Dean of Zombie University

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 08:54:36 pm »

Am I the only one who uses a (very) old Garmin GPS V?
OK, so the base map dates from 2001, my loadable-via-serial-port maps (CitySelect North America V. 5) does not give me info on most backroads, but hey, for $150 (new in box) back in 2005, it did the trick in the last five years!

I have one on my XR- I use it for hunting too- works great.   Thumbsup

"Well I don't think Clay would make up some story.  He seems to be a pretty honest and sadistic guy to me."  -county
"This a'int high school, this is St.n. God help the meek"  -Kneescrubber
evilted

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: Fun ones.
GPS: Atlanta, GA
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 09:31:55 pm »

My Zumo 550 has worked great since I got it.  My only gripe was the fact that the newer maps didn't fit the built-in memory, but an SD card ultimately fixed that.

Plus I ditched the factory security screws for the mounts and installed some knurled ones that can be turned sans tools.

I'd buy another if I lost or broke mine tomorrow.
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 09:42:19 am »

Tom Tom One

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 11:56:53 pm »

2720 & 2820 both working great.
The BT is sweet, easily connects to phone (then disconnects  Bash)

MAybe in the future a Zumo 665 but the price better come way down for that to happen

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
SuperHans
Liberal Pinhead

Reputation 110

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: Warpig
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 4784

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 03:10:16 pm »

I just think the prices on the Zumos are INSANE—I don't care if they have bluetooth, Sirius radio, weather, MP3s, etc. I know you can get them for less refurbished...but just on principle, I don't want to support Garmin's "Bend Over and Pay This" pricing for those units.

For this reason alone...I may break ranks and look into a Tom-Tom unit if I ever go big-screen...because Tom-Tom's pricing is a LOT more reasonable...

While I agree the prices on the Zumos are insane, I personally believe Garmin makes a superior product. I've owned Two Garmins, a Magellan, and a Tom Tom GPS. I would rate the Garmin #1, Magellan #2, and Tom Tom #3.The Tom Tom had the most problems, enough so that I don't think I would buy another. I'll stick with Garmin until they give me a reason to look elsewhere.

Anarchy on the STN
Squareman357
ZX-14 Warg Rider

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '06 ZX-14, '03 GS500F, '02 CBR1100XX (sold), '03 Suzuki Katana (sold), '08 ZX-14
GPS: Chicago, IL
Miles Typed: 2051

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 03:17:11 pm »

While I agree the prices on the Zumos are insane, I personally believe Garmin makes a superior product. I've owned Two Garmins, a Magellan, and a Tom Tom GPS. I would rate the Garmin #1, Magellan #2, and Tom Tom #3.The Tom Tom had the most problems, enough so that I don't think I would buy another. I'll stick with Garmin until they give me a reason to look elsewhere.

+1  I've also used 2 Garmins, a Magellan, and a Tom Tom and would rate them the same as you.
rodm850g
1 of vocal minority

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 79 GS 850 GN,80 GS 1000 GT,99 VFR800Fi ,04 ST1300A, 13 Husky Terra
Miles Typed: 285

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 01:23:34 pm »

Guys,
I started with a Quest, did fine til eyes gave out on me...screen is too small...2610 that replaced it is fine still working well.....don't need radio, mp3 or the lot ....I want directions and  that is all....hope fully there will be another  similar model when the need arises.
Rod

enough of this talking/typing crap I'm going riding
Redbandit14
Your What Hurts??

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: Red 2001 Bandit 1200
GPS: Toronto Canada
Miles Typed: 736

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »

Nuvi 1350 in the car . I just got a 1490T for the bike. Want a Zumo but I'm to spread out money wise to afford one. And i've never seen a refurb availible locally Sad

The1490 is working out great though. It has traffic which is a real bonus trying to get into work. and it was only $199 at Costco.

May a squadron of Beautiful Vaginas Find there way to your crotch by days end. Smile
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »

Garmin 60CSx on the bike and Garmin Nuvi 200 in the car.

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 01:28:46 pm »

TomTom One. Based on the experience with it, I would not buy another TomTom.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 11:27:04 am »

Other:

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
akahige

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2003 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: Utah, USA
Miles Typed: 66

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 05:51:06 pm »

Other: My Android-powered phone. I have a mount in my car; on the motorcycle, it works fine in the tankbag inside the clear pocket.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:17:52 pm by akahige » Logged
Doug Just Doug
Gabba Gabba Huh?

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
GPS: Newark, Delaware
Miles Typed: 1006

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 11:37:46 am »

Garmin 60CSx currently. I don't nav with it, tho; just use it for speedo, trip computer & rarely to locate gas, etc.
rabbott5

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1998 Kawasaki Concours,2008 Honda Goldwing
GPS: North Central Illinois
Miles Typed: 568

My Photo Gallery

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbott5

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 01:08:03 am »

Over the winter I retired my trusty Streetpilot 2720.  I am now running a Zumo 220.  I got a great price at the GPS store and I don't really need a fully loaded unit.  The 220 will sync with my Scala Rider Q2 and do everything my Streetpilot did.  I've run about 1000 miles and so far it meets my needs.

"Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy **** what a ride!"
AMA#1077701
IB
motormike

Reputation 31

Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 05:37:04 pm »

I have a Garmin 60cs that I use for hunting, and based on the two responses above (bluepoof and Doug Just Doug) I'm willing to give it a try on a motorcycle.
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 05:52:12 pm »

I just use a paper map in the clear pocket of my tank bag Rolleyes
I do carry my E-trex HC-x(?) loaded with the US topo maps in the tank bag for when I get lost Wink

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
RedheadRacing

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2003 CBR954RR
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 11:34:29 pm »

Zumo 650 and I love it!

elkster88

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 07 FJR1300, 06 KLR650, 95 KLR650, 09 EX250.
Miles Typed: 101

My Photo Gallery

Bikes, they're great.

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 09:39:51 pm »

I have a Garmin 2610 and a Zumo 550.  The 2610 worked well for a few years but all of a sudden the screen delaminated and I peeled off the residue, leaving a dull finish that scratched easily.  It still works but it's a little hard to see the screen under some conditions.  It also suffers from occasional "phantom touches".  I bought a new Zumo 550 earlier this year to get Bluetooth, waterproofness, and the buttons.

Before I bought the 550, I briefly had a Nuvi 765T.  Nice unit, but having to house it in an Aqua Box made it too bulky for me, and I don't think the screen brightness was as good as the Zumo.  Paying the difference to move up to the Zumo was significant but I know it will be a better unit for the bike.  Too bad the 550 only has lo-fi MP3 playback via BT.  My Sena SMH-10 headset sounded fantastic when being driven by the 765T, not even comparable with the 550, but if I am not mistaken, it came along before the hi-fi stereo profile for BT was created, anyway, it doesn't do hi-fi sound over BT.

But I really couldn't care less about that since I don't plan on listening to MP3s while I ride.  I find music distracting when I ride.

Goat

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ZRX 1200
Miles Typed: 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2011, 10:45:55 pm »

Coming in late on this one, I use the Tom Tom One XL, an older unit from my car.  It works great for me and is easier to navigate through screens than the Garmin in the car.  My only problem is taht it says it is BT but I can't get it to pair with my Scala Q2, could anyone help with that?

Thanks!
vaio

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: sv 650
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 01:57:03 pm »

Looking for a Zumo if anyone has one for sale.
greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 91 ZX-11 - SOLD!
GPS: Covington WA
Miles Typed: 3498

My Photo Gallery

What we have here is failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 04:38:29 pm »

Just got a Zumo 660 after 10 years with an eTrex Vista.  I'll let you know how the Zumo works out after my trip to the national.  Worked great going to Home Despot and back (sorry no trip report).

Initial impressions are that it's going to be really cool.  I've just done the routing and uploaded to the unit and I can say that Mapsource has come a long way.

The eTrex was monochrome and really small screen which was difficult for my aging eyes to see.  It also wasn't a true nav, you had to really understand how to read it and navigation principles to use it properly.

ATGATT - All the Garbage all the time
MK96xj
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is What its all about?

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Asheville NC
Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ducati MTS 620

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »

Still useing a 2730 but got sick of the XM connection being a PITA so I went with a separate XM unit in a waterproof boating box. Much happier Bigok

Since Garmin is no longer supporting the 2730 with their exchange program I will eventually need to move up to a newer model.

ChrisZRX
This space for rent.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '13 FZ1
GPS: Tyrone, PA
Miles Typed: 776

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2011, 08:29:06 am »

Love my old Garmin GPSMap 60C.  It does everything I need it to.  If I was to get another gps unit, it would be a general purpose handheld with expandable memory, like the GPSMap 62S.

xbud

Reputation 3

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: Yamaha Super Tenere
GPS: Greensburg, PA
Miles Typed: 368

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2011, 08:33:10 am »

I just bought a nuvi 500, refurb deal from Ebay and couldnt be happier. It does all that I need and it's waterproof. I was worried about the charged battery life, from the description it states eight hours but I am sure that is used at the lowest possible screen brightness setting and limited use, so I wired it directly to the ignition power.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-NUVI-500-AUTO-GPS-NAVIGATION-w-TOPO-MAPS-/330573856313?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item4cf7bcbe39

"Sometimes when you look into his eyes, you get the feeling someone else is driving."
Chappy8

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '04 VFR - Flat Black
GPS: Des Plaines, IL
Miles Typed: 121

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »

Garmin Nuvi 765T w/ traffic in a ram box as of this 20 minutes ago.  Detachable as needed for use in the car or whatever.   Thought about using my phone since it has GPS but then I wouldn't have an excuse (riding can't see/hear/feel your call/text) if the wife found out.
APEowner

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo
GPS: Beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico
Miles Typed: 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2011, 04:17:52 pm »

I use Sprint Navigation on my Palm Pre in the the Pickup and Navigate by dead reckoning on the bike.    If I'm going someplace specific on the bike I'll use a paper map and stop and look at it when I need to.  Most of the time on the bike I'm trying to get myself lost.  In Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Eastern New York and Northern Massachusetts where I do most of my riding it's rare that I can ride for more than an hour without figuring out where I am.
coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2011, 04:56:12 pm »

Manual
Analog
Positioning
System

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
TriumphTiger1050
Taming the Tiger

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
GPS: Asheville, NC
Miles Typed: 345

My Photo Gallery

2007 Tiger 1050

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2011, 11:23:43 am »

Looks like the Zumo's have it! Bigok

Former rides: 2002 Honda Shadow 750; 2003 Honda VTX 1300; 2007 Suzuki DL650.
Computer Guy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: FJR1300A, VT750RSB
GPS: Zumo 550
Miles Typed: 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2011, 11:14:55 pm »

Garmin Zumo 550.
joelmikel

Reputation 9

Miles Typed: 38

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2011, 09:16:01 am »

Gone old school... I use a suction mounted Garmin i2
Works like a charm... only steers me wrong once every 50 miles  
MKorn

Reputation -1

Motorcycles: 09 Concours, 06 DRz
GPS: Middle of the Mitten
Miles Typed: 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2011, 01:24:59 pm »

i have both a Nuvi and a color eTrex.

i mostly use the cheap nuvi unless it looks like rain or i am off road ... then i use the eTrex with city navigator loaded.

2009 C14 'The Mistress'
2006 DRz 'The Dirty Girl'
Dan

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2000 Honda ST1100-P
GPS: Qld, Oz
Miles Typed: 52

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2011, 02:21:34 pm »

Garmin Zumo 550, not perfect but a great bit of kit.
exbanditrider

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Concours 14, V-Strom 1000
Miles Typed: 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2011, 06:47:46 pm »

Zumo 550, swap it between both bikes.

ia sprint

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2004 BMW K1200GT
Miles Typed: 70

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2011, 12:24:47 am »

I apologize in advance if this should go in a new thread.....

But, can those of you who mentioned the Nuvi 1490 T tell me how to load routes I create into it?  Purchased a refurbished unit from Amazon for not much over $100.  I'd like to upload routes from google maps/google earth, if possible.  Or how to I put the garmin mapping software on my computer-Mac Pro laptop.

Thank you in advance for any guidance the group can provide to a gps/mapping newb.

IA Sprint
02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 51

Miles Typed: 3352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2011, 11:16:00 pm »

Nuvi 1690, referb from Walmart for under $100. For an additional $23 I got a 3 yr replacement warranty.  Allows me to plan out routes with lots of way points and the Nulink is a cool feature. I can get lost in the middle of no where, type in "free wifi" and bingo it is off to a local cafe ior what not for refreshements and interwebs.  Bigsmile

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
darty411

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 fjr, 2004 screaming eagle electra glide, 2005 r1
Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2011, 11:33:47 pm »

I'm still using the zumo I purchased from a forum member here in 2008..
Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 848

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 12:01:29 am »

Zumo 550 crapped out after 2 years and it's $150 to fix.

$100 got me a Nuvi 255W with RAM mount and I'm back in business.  $600 paper weight looks nice sitting on my desk.  Never again will I spend so much money on a GPS when there are perfectly functional refurbs with LARGER screens for $85!

DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '04 BMW K1200RS, '05 BMW R1200GS, '07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
GPS: Tucson, AZ
Miles Typed: 822

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 12:02:49 am »

On pavement: Garmin Zumo 550
On dirt:           Garmin GPSMap 478
CanadianBird
CanadianBird

Reputation -4

Motorcycles: '02 Honda CBR1100XX SuperBlackBird
GPS: Escort Passport iQ
Miles Typed: 111

My Photo Gallery

C:\Users\Arle\unknown

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2011, 12:08:41 am »

Passport iQ which also functions with radar. However, I'm still seaching for a mount for it.

'02 BlackBird, Penske rear, Ohlins, RaceTec front, Pazzos, Corbin, Givi, Galfer rotors, steel lines, Samco hoses, pciii, Yosh SS full system, 023s, Gerbing heated gear, lots of CF, radar/gps, 167,000+ kms, retired senior citizen, family man, grand fa
jhawk

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R
GPS: Kansas USA
Miles Typed: 443

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2011, 01:24:43 pm »

Other.... Google Maps, maps from service stations and dead reckoning.....

you're never lost as long as you keep moving ... Lol

Past and present = Ducati, Yamaha, Honda, Honda, Honda, Yamaha, Honda, Honda, BMW, BMW, Triumph, Triumph, Honda, BMW
blackjaxx

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: V Star 650, 2008 FJR
Miles Typed: 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2011, 01:22:06 am »

Maybe it's because I am excessively cheap, but I use the GPS on my cell phone that I have mounted.
mvg2

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: yamaha Fz-1
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2011, 07:25:02 pm »

Street Pilot 2610

Up until recently this gps has been a great way to get my feet wet.  Now, after many a great routes, it's pretty buggy and doesn't function how it once did Sad
Still gets the job done though...
phatphil

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: zx14, klr
GPS: Vancouver, B.C.
Miles Typed: 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2011, 07:34:24 pm »

zumo 550.

fell off bike at around 100mph - was fooling around and my arm had inadvertantly unclipped from holder but works fine.  a bit scratched and banged up but been good for couple years now.  any other unit and im afraid i would not be saying the same....
djacobsen5116

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2009 FJR1300
Miles Typed: 88

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2011, 12:49:45 pm »

Refurbished 1490T on a RAM Clutch reservoir mount.  Partially blocks the Tach but I don't use the Tach much anyway so no problem.  Nice and big for my tired, old eyes.  Turned the voice announcements off.

Dennis
metalman

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Honda St1300
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2011, 09:21:14 pm »

Zumo 550----2 years and so far, so good..... Thumbsup
ChrisZRX
This space for rent.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '13 FZ1
GPS: Tyrone, PA
Miles Typed: 776

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2011, 03:42:33 pm »

Last month I bought a Nuvi 1450 LMT for the car, and I bought the corresponding RAM mount and cradle for use on the bike, though I have yet to use it on the bike.
challenger

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1982 CB900 Custom & 2005 ST1300
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

The BeaST catching some rays at the beach!

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »

Mark 1 eyeball and a map! Recon Scout!

1982 CB900C - Beauty 2005 ST1300 - The BeaST
Fastenloose

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '01 Yamaha FZ1, '79 Yamaha XS1100 (custom fighter), '90 Kawasaki KZ1000
GPS: Seattle, WA
Miles Typed: 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2011, 05:38:46 am »

I have a map case on my tank bag...  Bigsmile   And Google Maps on my BlackBerry in case I get really lost.
Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2011, 02:32:41 pm »

Mark 1 eyeball and a map! Recon Scout!

Oh, so you use one of those air powered SMART GPS' that constantly updates location and always has the most up to date maps?  Meaning it always knows where it is, the road it's on is always real, and the speed sensor is exactly that.  Must have taken years to develop and cost a lot.

Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2011, 02:34:41 pm »

I have a map case on my tank bag...  Bigsmile   And Google Maps on my BlackBerry in case I get really lost.

Usually when I get really lost the "smart" phone tells me I'm roaming and refuses to help out.  Little bastard has a mind of it's own!

APEowner

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo
GPS: Beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico
Miles Typed: 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2011, 09:35:53 am »

Since I upgraded my phone I now need to upgrade my response to this thread.  I'm now using Sygic on my HTC 3G Shift smart phone.  It stores the map data on the phone which address the problem my old cell based GPS had where it would loose the map data when it lost signal.  I wasn't sure I really wanted a GPS on the bike since I don't usually have (or want) a specific route on the bike but I'm getting hooked.  

I need to come up with a better mount now though.  I've been strapping it to the top of the tank inside a waterproof pouch designed for that purpose.  That works but in heavy rain the touch screen gets randomly activated and under heavy braking the the display flips around upside down as the g sensor gets confused.
moondew

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: R1200 RT, R1100S, K75S
GPS: LA. side of Mars
Miles Typed: 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2011, 05:54:12 pm »

Garmin Nuvi 500 and/or Tom Tom Rider (1)

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds" (Einstein)
BudCAD

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: DL650 V-Strom
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2012, 10:55:15 am »

Still using an old Garmin Quest2. Thing is beat to hell, dropped more times than I can count, survived a deer strike at 45 and keeps on going. I'll use it 'til it dies.

stew71

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1514

My Photo Gallery

Words simply cannot express how much I don't care.

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2012, 06:37:55 pm »

Ol' Reliable...

A hamster wheel looks like a career ladder from the inside.
The police never think it's as funny as you do.
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 ZX-9 modded & '86 V65 Magna original
GPS: 5000 rounds and a dozen claymores down a dirt road, SC
Miles Typed: 561

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2012, 10:40:53 am »

Ol' Reliable...

Yep, same here, I see no option for "analog" in the poll.

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
Man f-in card.  F.     AAAARRRR!"
WSikorski

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2010 ZG1400 ABS
GPS: Mount Laurel, NJ
Miles Typed: 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:45 pm »

Currently on my third Zumo 450. This one's held up the longest...2 years.

Wayne aka "CigarSki"
2010 ZG1400 ABS
Kendoo

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2003 ST1300
GPS: Wallkill, NY
Miles Typed: 49

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2012, 06:52:00 am »

Garmin Quest2,  it is painfully slow but does the job.  I recently just figured out how to download custom routes to it that I design on the computer.  A Zumo is on my wish list, just can't justify it with the Quest still working.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2012, 07:19:03 am »

Zumo.  

After more than 4 years of riding in just about everything from rain, to snow, to 100 temps, and mud, I finally needed to replace my digitalizer.  It's a cheap and quick fix and I look forward to many more years with my Zumo.  
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2012, 08:07:08 am »

Update:  After waiting for years for my trusty 60CS to die or be stolen I finally broke down and upgraded. Now I'm rolling with a Garmin Montana 600. I find the mapping handheld units much nicer than the moto specific models. Of course I'm starting back at ground zero of the learning curve but that's half the fun.

photojojo

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1998 Honda ST1100
Miles Typed: 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2012, 10:18:35 am »

Chose Nuvi (765) in the poll, but I really like my iPhone with the Navigon app better than my actual GPS.
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2012, 01:40:04 pm »

Had a Zumo 450 a few years ago.  Would tell me I needed to turn after I just passed up said turn.  It wasn't quick enough for the job.  Sold it after a month.

When they start making 6" screens in a waterproof case and make them faster calculating, I'll get another one.  4.3" is just too small and it takes too long to try and focus on and read when my time is better spent looking ahead and staying on the road.

Got my wife a 5 incher for her car.  While a little better, more screen real estate is preferable and quicker to focus on when you only have a momet to glance at it and decipher what you see.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2012, 01:45:28 pm »

Rickbrowngsts

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: BMWRT
Miles Typed: 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2014, 06:13:20 pm »

GPS?  Don't need no stinkin' GPS!
Rambler

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2016 GoldWing ABS
GPS: Torrance, CA
Miles Typed: 199

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »

Was a Zumo 390lm, now a BMW Navigator V - dealer threw it in with the bike. Smile

~Ron
STOC #1351
IBA #7483
mbishara

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2012 Concourse 14 Black
Miles Typed: 83

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2014, 07:11:29 am »

I've airways got my phone with me with a bunch of navigation apps. Works very well for me so far.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2014, 01:45:30 pm »

Zumo 550 on the bike, Nuvi 50LM for the car, but I have mounts and wiring so I can switch either in moments.

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
Chuck 500

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: Honda NT700V
GPS: Houston, TX
Miles Typed: 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2014, 08:30:27 am »

I use a map and a highlighter.  No batteries to replace.
ducsbill

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ducati MTS 1100S, '05 Ducati ST3
GPS: Rantoul, Il
Miles Typed: 216

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2014, 02:34:05 pm »

...and upgrades are easy.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it.", Yogi Berra
'07 Ducati MTS 1100S, Black
'05 Ducati ST3, Black
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1537

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2014, 08:33:55 pm »

And you can't beat the screen size.  Lol

I have a few GPSes, but you can't beat a map for planning purposes.

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
Big Bo

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 120

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2014, 10:45:12 am »

Got a Magellan with a 4" screen for around $60 at Sports Authority. It works.  Bigsmile
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 252

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2414

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2014, 11:17:30 am »

My GPS is AAA. They give out free maps and camp site booklets. Smile

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2014, 11:33:26 am »

Just bought a Garmin Montana 600 to replace the zumo 450 that has a flaky screen. Plus it will follow tracks (for dual-sport/off-road use) which the zumo will not.

I think I'm going to try to replace the screen/digitizer on the 450 ($30) once the Montana has maps loaded and is ready to go. I can still use it on the street bike and in the car.

Stupid Garmin has different power cables for the two GPS units, so I can't easily swap GPS units between bikes.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Cliffmeister2000

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 Kawasaki Concours C10
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2014, 07:45:03 pm »

I use my iPhone 5 with Google Maps.
axelwik
Um... Okay

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 900ss, ST4s, 1200 Custom Sportster, R1200RT, DRZ400S
GPS: Albuquerque, NM
Miles Typed: 415

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2014, 11:38:58 am »

My global positioning system is finding my position on a paper map. The battery never goes dead, doesn't depend on satellites, and has never failed me.

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
jdgretz

Reputation 11

GPS: Los Angeles area
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

The Fast Sexy Red Italian Norge

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2015, 01:54:33 am »

I'll go ahead and add to this even as late to the party as I am  Lol

I have the Zumo 660 on the Norge as my primary GPS and ride, and the latest TomTom Rider on Da Loanah (Honda Shadow that gets loaned out to folks from out of the country needing a bike to tour the US).

I use the .mp3 player a lot as well as the fuel warnings.  I'm tempted by the new Zumo 590LM, but I need to find one at a better than list price first.  I like the curvy road option (the TomTom has that as well, but no .mp3 player).

jdg

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/US/CA/Canoga_Park.gif
'07 Norge - Sophia, '99 Honda Helix '76 Honda CJ360T, '03 Honda Shadow (The Loaner)
bkfist

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2007 Burgman 650
GPS: Winston Salem, NC
Miles Typed: 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2015, 08:44:05 pm »

I use my android phone.  Depending on where I'm going, what I'm doing etc I either use Waze (most often - because in many states it is VERY good at pinpointing police, accidents, slow-downs etc.
My second choice is Google Maps and my 3rd choice is CoPilot which has full off-line navigation capabilities, like a conventional dedicated GPS.
maxxtom

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 07 sv650
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2015, 02:59:35 am »

I have the Garmin Oregon 450.  I like its compact design and the view screen quality is good.
bucktownbilly

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '15 - ? 2008 FJR; '15-? 2015 FJ 09; '14-? 2013FZ8; '09-'15 2009 FZ6 (black); '11-'14 2002 CB 919;'04-'10 2004 FZ6 (silver); '98-'03 BMW F650; '95-'97 Suzuki 650DR
Miles Typed: 556

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2015, 09:41:44 am »

I use my bike gps, Garmin 810.  Love how compact it is but still can read the screen.  Usually get a whole day of riding it with out losing charge.  Can charge while riding if need be.
Pat S.

Reputation -6

Motorcycles: several
GPS: northern Idaho
Miles Typed: 40

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2015, 12:29:01 pm »

Zumo 660

former MSF Instructor
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4219

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2015, 03:59:45 pm »

Zombie thread...

iPhone 6+ for me.

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
ride200mi
Above My Wheels

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW R1200RT; 2010 Kawasaki KX250F: 2015 Husqvarna TE300
GPS: AZ
Miles Typed: 321

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2015, 06:05:58 pm »

BMW Garmin's Navigator V. That and my Google app on my Android!

Life is a limited time offer, live deliberately... ride often....
Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2015, 08:48:33 pm »

My Nuvi 350LM I use in my car is dying, so I started using Waze on my android phone. It works pretty slick, but I haven't tried it on the bike.

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
MidLifeMike

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: buh bye XS750, hello FJ1100
GPS: Where men are men and moose are nervous.
Miles Typed: 347

My Photo Gallery

1984 FJ1100

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2016, 11:32:09 am »

My Garmin StreetPilot (2720?) finally died so I got a Rage GPS from Chinavision. Since I like to dick around with gizmos and this one runs on Windows CE it is a hacker attractive unit. Some fellow in Holland developed a motorcycle oriented version of iGo software which I have loaded along with iGo Primo. Kind of a dual boot option. The hardware is pretty substantial and of course the price was low. Shipping took a while direct from overseas but within the given time frame and not unreasonable.

There are plenty of good people to be found. If you can't find one, then be one.
aviationfred

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1995 FJ1200, 1990 FJ1200, 1990 VFR750
GPS: Wichita, Kansas
Miles Typed: 236

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2016, 01:24:29 pm »

I have a Windows 8 phone with a 6" screen and use the Microsoft Here Drive+ app. Typically I have an idea where I am going so looking at a GPS screen is not important too me. The phone is usually in my tank back and is connected to a set of Plugfones so I can listen to music. The Here Drive+ will cut in and give me voice directions as I near a turn, or specific area.

Fred

IBA #65004
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 69

GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6801

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2016, 11:22:30 am »

Very happy with my Montana. Great secure mount and solid power connection. Very customizable. I came off a Nuvi 550 and previous to that a 60 CSX, which I loved. The 60 was great, but the screen too small for my eyes. The Montana is more like the 60 than the Nuvi. I don't route except in large cities and does fine.  But I do download and follow tracks off-road and the Montana handles these well. Great screen in sunlight and can be used as a bulky handheld with pretty good battery (rechargeable and AA) life. I use an iPhone on my bicycle for bulk savings. The sunlight on screen is poor. But I prefer the dedicated GPS for travel.
Last1Out

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2006 ST1300 (gone), 2009 KLR 650, 2009 Super Sherpa
GPS: Franklin, NC
Miles Typed: 230

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2016, 07:03:10 pm »

If you're using a GPS on a motorcycle you're doing it wrong.
Wittionfer

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GS LC
GPS: Renton, WA 98055
Miles Typed: 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2017, 03:07:01 am »

I use a Garmin Zumo and I'm quite satisfied with it  Thumbsup
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:45 am »

I use a Garmin Zumo and I'm quite satisfied with it  Thumbsup

I have the old one, the 220.  I love it if only the on/off button still worked (famous drop problem) and the display was a tad larger.

I'd buy a new one if it wasn't so expensive.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Daughthe

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: BMW S1000XR
Miles Typed: 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2017, 04:55:53 am »

I use the GPS TomTom Rider 450
BlueRidgeKat
STN Member Since 7-03 Contributor, Location Virginia

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2017, 04:58:22 pm »

Magellan: RoadMate.   Only one I could find that still has a headphone jack or at least the model I found did. Pretty sure all Magellan's don't.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal