Poll
Question: What GPS do you use (or use most)?
Garmin: Nuvi - 112 (25.6%)
Garmin: Zumo - 162 (37%)
Garmin: Oregon - 3 (0.7%)
Garmin: Colorado - 0 (0%)
Garmin: eTrex - 11 (2.5%)
Garmin: GPSMap - 16 (3.7%)
DeLorme: PN-XX - 1 (0.2%)
Magellan: RoadMate - 3 (0.7%)
Magellan: eXplorist - 0 (0%)
Magellan: Maestro - 3 (0.7%)
Magellan: Triton - 0 (0%)
Garmin: Other/Discontinued - 62 (14.2%)
Magellan: Other/Discontinued - 2 (0.5%)
Other (Tell us below!) - 63 (14.4%)
Total Voters: 436

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: What GPS do you use?  (Read 59807 times)

Squareman357
ZX-14 Warg Rider

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '06 ZX-14, '03 GS500F, '02 CBR1100XX (sold), '03 Suzuki Katana (sold), '08 ZX-14
GPS: Chicago, IL
Miles Typed: 2051

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 03:53:53 pm »

Zumo 660.  The Vader and Yoda ads had me in tears.  That was some funny stuff.  Lol
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 07:09:24 pm »

I love my voice commands. Don't even bother looking at the screen for the most part unless I'm coming up on some screwed up interchange
and a quick glance down confirms the "stay left" or "stay right" vocals.

halloween over.
rabbott5

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1998 Kawasaki Concours,2008 Honda Goldwing
GPS: North Central Illinois
Miles Typed: 568

My Photo Gallery

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbott5

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 11:09:42 pm »

I'm still running a Streetpilot 2720.  I would love to upgrade to a weatherproof/bluetooth unit, I just don't want to shell out big bucks.  I'll bite the bullet when my 2720 dies or I'm the winning bidder of a Zumo 550 on Ebay.

"Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy **** what a ride!"
AMA#1077701
IB
Advertisement

MadMax96
Old Skool Forever

Reputation 5

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: Round Lake, IL
Miles Typed: 1273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 11:34:44 pm »

Used a 2610 for about 4 yrs - it's been acting up and I recently scratched the screen.  Just picked up a Nuvi 550 since it's waterproof.  I thought I wanted a Zumo 450/550 but didn't think I needed any of the added features.  The screen sizes are the same so it should be fine.  I also like the idea of it having a battery so I can walk around with it if I wanted to (has a mode to use while on foot).  this is the first one I've actually purchased new and not as a refurb.

Previously had 2610, before that a GPS V, and before that an eMap - all Garmin.

-Matt
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 09:16:12 am »

Man, no doubt about it—the Nuvi and Zumo are WINNERS! I'm still amazed more people don't use the smaller handhelds like the eTrex and the (newer and better) Dakota, Colorado and Oregon units. (It's almost as if people read Garmin's site, see the word "trail" next to those models, and think "Gee, guess I can't use that one since I'm on a motorcycle."  Lol)

But I'm not bashing the Nuvi/Zumo crowd. If I had the money I might get one, because the big screen is definitely nice. On the other hand, I have (knock on wood) good eyesight and have NO problems seeing the map on a smaller screen...and when it comes to GPS navigation, my Oregon delivers 100% of the functionality of either a Nuvi or a Zumo (well, except traffic reports and weather, but I don't really consider that "navigation").

Now I'm tempted to start a second GPS poll—specifically to ask Nuvi/Zumo users: do you just use your GPS for navigation? Or also for phonecalls, listening to music, listening to the radio, getting traffic and weather, etc?

(Come to think of it, are there any Nuvi models that do all that other stuff besides navigate? Or is that just limited to the Zumo?)

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 09:21:27 am »

Geezus F-ing Christ—I just looked at Garmin's Nuvi page, and there are...
different models of Nuvi GPS.

Sorry Garmin, but that's
OVERKILL.

Rolleyes

Someone needs to seriously give their marketing people some powerful sedatives!

Scott

PS - But wait! Don't we need at least 15 different versions of the Zumo specifically for motorcycles????  Lol

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 10:02:00 am »

I'm still using my trusty 60CS with 56MB of memory.  It's a pain to  have to load maps for where I'm going if I leave my "home" area.  As far as navigation goes it works very well.  However, the rocker button is starting to get a little flaky and I've noticed some condensation inside the screen as of late.  

The problem I have with the newer units is that the screens absolutely SUCK.  They are so washed out in the sun that it makes them hard to read at a glance.  Mine looks like a sheet of paper when you look at it, even in direct sunshine.  BTW I think this particular problem is the same on ALL the touchscreen models, even the "outdoorsy" models.

The only reason I'm looking toward the new Zumo models is because I want to use the unit as a hub.  By using the built in Bluetooth and MP3 player an can get rid of the iPod and the wires associated with the various hookups.  Heck you can even take a phone call if you are so inclined.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 10:36:52 am »

The problem I have with the newer units is that the screens absolutely SUCK.  They are so washed out in the sun that it makes them hard to read at a glance.  Mine looks like a sheet of paper when you look at it, even in direct sunshine.  BTW I think this particular problem is the same on ALL the touchscreen models, even the "outdoorsy" models.

I agree, the screens on the Dakota/Colorado/Oregon series aren't as bright as the eTrex/60CS series. That concerned me at first...but the Oregon 450 that I got (a newer model) has an improved screen...and I've found that when powered off the bike, it's fine—I've never had any trouble reading the screen (even in direct sunlight)...though it's still not as bright as the eTrex/60CS.

For me, the vastly increased screen resolution on the Oregon (and slightly larger screen size) makes up for the slight decrease in visibility.

The only reason I'm looking toward the new Zumo models is because I want to use the unit as a hub.  By using the built in Bluetooth and MP3 player an can get rid of the iPod and the wires associated with the various hookups.  Heck you can even take a phone call if you are so inclined.

Yep, this is clearly a big reason why people choose these models! I just think the prices on the Zumos are INSANE—I don't care if they have bluetooth, Sirius radio, weather, MP3s, etc. I know you can get them for less refurbished...but just on principle, I don't want to support Garmin's "Bend Over and Pay This" pricing for those units.

For this reason alone...I may break ranks and look into a Tom-Tom unit if I ever go big-screen...because Tom-Tom's pricing is a LOT more reasonable...

Scott

ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '04 ST1300A, '03 CB900F3, '92 CBR600F2, '82 GL1100, '81 CB750FE
GPS: Hampton, N.J.
Miles Typed: 1708

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 10:01:03 am »

I have 2610(2), 2730(2), and a 2820. They have been all used Garmin Streetpilots. One even came with a lifetime XM subscription. For my use, I have been very pleased with their performance. No issues at all! I have never been one to require the latest and greatest in equipment. None are wired into a headset for voice commands. They are strictly for dropping breadcrumbs, routing destinations, handling detours, and getting a fix on upcoming twisties.

The most I ever paid was $250 for a factory refurbished model(my first 2610).

Doc

Friends Don't Let Friends Early Apex.
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Reputation -1

Motorcycles: 2005 Yamaha FZ1; 1993 Suzuki VX800
GPS: Firmly planted in the Georgia red clay
Miles Typed: 230

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 10:30:35 pm »

I use the iGo8 software on my hp ipaq pda.  I recently added a rockstar so I can add it to my motocomm and have music and the gps commands.  I use it with the gurjon skins that add functions to the stock igo8.  

Loading routes is really easy, as is routing on the device.  I convert routes we share on my computer (unless Cruzman converts them for me) then copy them to the gps card.

since I'm running it on a pda, I'm not limited to the type of software I can run.  I also have tried Garmin but didn't find it as easy to use as igo8.

I like the headphone feature so I can get alerts, like for red light cameras and when I'm over the speed limit (only works on the interstate).  Also like getting the directions from my guy (yes, I changed the voice) so i don't need to look at the screen.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:32:49 pm by theWolfTamer » Logged

Fighting Lupus Daily
CLAY
formerly known as CLAY

Reputation 170

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: '03 B12S, 1979 XS650 Street Tracker, 97 XR650L 1975 Yamaha XS650
GPS: Grand Rapids, MI
Miles Typed: 9034

My Photo Gallery

Dean of Zombie University

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 08:51:56 pm »

my Garmin 2610 has developed the DTs and is locking up, so I found a refurbed Zumo 450 -- still learning it (it's close enough that it's confusing).

I believe it'll be fine in a few more uses.

Chris's 2610 is still functioning flawlessly.   Bigok

"Well I don't think Clay would make up some story.  He seems to be a pretty honest and sadistic guy to me."  -county
"This a'int high school, this is St.n. God help the meek"  -Kneescrubber
CLAY
formerly known as CLAY

Reputation 170

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: '03 B12S, 1979 XS650 Street Tracker, 97 XR650L 1975 Yamaha XS650
GPS: Grand Rapids, MI
Miles Typed: 9034

My Photo Gallery

Dean of Zombie University

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 08:54:36 pm »

Am I the only one who uses a (very) old Garmin GPS V?
OK, so the base map dates from 2001, my loadable-via-serial-port maps (CitySelect North America V. 5) does not give me info on most backroads, but hey, for $150 (new in box) back in 2005, it did the trick in the last five years!

I have one on my XR- I use it for hunting too- works great.   Thumbsup

"Well I don't think Clay would make up some story.  He seems to be a pretty honest and sadistic guy to me."  -county
"This a'int high school, this is St.n. God help the meek"  -Kneescrubber
evilted

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: Fun ones.
GPS: Atlanta, GA
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 09:31:55 pm »

My Zumo 550 has worked great since I got it.  My only gripe was the fact that the newer maps didn't fit the built-in memory, but an SD card ultimately fixed that.

Plus I ditched the factory security screws for the mounts and installed some knurled ones that can be turned sans tools.

I'd buy another if I lost or broke mine tomorrow.
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 09:42:19 am »

Tom Tom One

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 11:56:53 pm »

2720 & 2820 both working great.
The BT is sweet, easily connects to phone (then disconnects  Bash)

MAybe in the future a Zumo 665 but the price better come way down for that to happen

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
SuperHans
Liberal Pinhead

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: Warpig
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 4784

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 03:10:16 pm »

I just think the prices on the Zumos are INSANE—I don't care if they have bluetooth, Sirius radio, weather, MP3s, etc. I know you can get them for less refurbished...but just on principle, I don't want to support Garmin's "Bend Over and Pay This" pricing for those units.

For this reason alone...I may break ranks and look into a Tom-Tom unit if I ever go big-screen...because Tom-Tom's pricing is a LOT more reasonable...

While I agree the prices on the Zumos are insane, I personally believe Garmin makes a superior product. I've owned Two Garmins, a Magellan, and a Tom Tom GPS. I would rate the Garmin #1, Magellan #2, and Tom Tom #3.The Tom Tom had the most problems, enough so that I don't think I would buy another. I'll stick with Garmin until they give me a reason to look elsewhere.

Anarchy on the STN
Squareman357
ZX-14 Warg Rider

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '06 ZX-14, '03 GS500F, '02 CBR1100XX (sold), '03 Suzuki Katana (sold), '08 ZX-14
GPS: Chicago, IL
Miles Typed: 2051

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 03:17:11 pm »

While I agree the prices on the Zumos are insane, I personally believe Garmin makes a superior product. I've owned Two Garmins, a Magellan, and a Tom Tom GPS. I would rate the Garmin #1, Magellan #2, and Tom Tom #3.The Tom Tom had the most problems, enough so that I don't think I would buy another. I'll stick with Garmin until they give me a reason to look elsewhere.

+1  I've also used 2 Garmins, a Magellan, and a Tom Tom and would rate them the same as you.
rodm850g
1 of vocal minority

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 79 GS 850 GN,,99 VFR800Fi ,04 ST1300A,'17 Triumph Tiger XCX, 22 Suzi DR650
Miles Typed: 285

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 01:23:34 pm »

Guys,
I started with a Quest, did fine til eyes gave out on me...screen is too small...2610 that replaced it is fine still working well.....don't need radio, mp3 or the lot ....I want directions and  that is all....hope fully there will be another  similar model when the need arises.
Rod

enough of this talking/typing crap I'm going riding
Redbandit14
Your What Hurts??

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: Red 2001 Bandit 1200
GPS: Toronto Canada
Miles Typed: 736

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »

Nuvi 1350 in the car . I just got a 1490T for the bike. Want a Zumo but I'm to spread out money wise to afford one. And i've never seen a refurb availible locally Sad

The1490 is working out great though. It has traffic which is a real bonus trying to get into work. and it was only $199 at Costco.

May a squadron of Beautiful Vaginas Find there way to your crotch by days end. Smile
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »

Garmin 60CSx on the bike and Garmin Nuvi 200 in the car.

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal