Poll
Question: What GPS do you use (or use most)?
Garmin: Nuvi - 112 (25.6%)
Garmin: Zumo - 162 (37%)
Garmin: Oregon - 3 (0.7%)
Garmin: Colorado - 0 (0%)
Garmin: eTrex - 11 (2.5%)
Garmin: GPSMap - 16 (3.7%)
DeLorme: PN-XX - 1 (0.2%)
Magellan: RoadMate - 3 (0.7%)
Magellan: eXplorist - 0 (0%)
Magellan: Maestro - 3 (0.7%)
Magellan: Triton - 0 (0%)
Garmin: Other/Discontinued - 62 (14.2%)
Magellan: Other/Discontinued - 2 (0.5%)
Other (Tell us below!) - 63 (14.4%)
Total Voters: 436

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: What GPS do you use?  (Read 59809 times)

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:18:15 pm »

Let's see which GPS brand/series/model is most poopular with STNers?  Smile

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:27:27 pm »

my Garmin 2610 has developed the DTs and is locking up, so I found a refurbed Zumo 450 -- still learning it (it's close enough that it's confusing).

I believe it'll be fine in a few more uses.

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:38:30 pm »

my Garmin 2610 has developed the DTs and is locking up, so I found a refurbed Zumo 450 -- still learning it (it's close enough that it's confusing).

I believe it'll be fine in a few more uses.

Bomber you'll love the 450. I bought a brand new one two years ago for 369 and it's been a great unit.
The Zumo's are very robust, I like the waterproof, vibration-proof features and have found it very intuitive and easy to use.
It takes care of my MP3 needs also so I don't have to mess with an external Ipod or anything.

halloween over.
Advertisement

bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:46:42 pm »

Con -- I think you'll be right -- I havn't figure out how to move the map around without telling it to save a spot as a favorite, but I'm pretty sure I'm just being ham-fisted.

Turning off the 3D feature raised my opinion a great deal ;-}

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:51:02 pm »

Con -- I think you'll be right -- I havn't figure out how to move the map around without telling it to save a spot as a favorite, but I'm pretty sure I'm just being ham-fisted.

Turning off the 3D feature raised my opinion a great deal ;-}

Don't "tap" the screen with your fingertip when you're going to drag the map around. Place your finger on it softly + then drag.
The "tap" action will set a point. That is kind of a pain.

halloween over.
bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:53:50 pm »

Ah -- it's that softly part I'm having trouble with -- thanks, Con -- I'll keep practicing ;-}

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
denydog
Ready to Ride! (as long as it's not raining)

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 1982 Suzuki GS 1100E - BMW K1200R Sport - Barb's Suzuki GS500
GPS: Near Seattle Wa
Miles Typed: 1772

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 07:13:12 pm »

I think the poll should have allowed multiple votes since I split time between Nuvi in the car, and Zumo on the bikes.  I voted Zumo because I have two of them, but that also leaves out the Foretrex.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:55 am »

I've got a Garmin StreetPilot 2610 that has served me well for a few years.
But I got tired of it routing me to restaurants that aren't in biz anymore - last fall it took me to out in some farm fields for a non-existant dairy stand.  And I found I can no longer get updates for it... so I just got a Nuvi 765(t).

Having it play music and pause the music to give directions is quite nice.  I never listened to the 2610 on the bike.  But I don't care to be 'wired' to it, so I'm going to check out the FM and bluetooth funcitons - which reminds me to pair my phone to it - I don't care to talk 'thru' it, but it'd be neat to be notified when I get a call or text.

But it isn't bright enough to read the map on a sunny day - which is when I tend to ride most....
Good thing the 'repeat directions' button is at the top left where I can easily find it.
I just wish I could have the 'skip to next song' button on the screen at the same time as the 'repeat directions' button.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:26:58 am »

I've got a Garmin StreetPilot 2610 that has served me well for a few years.
But I got tired of it routing me to restaurants that aren't in biz anymore - last fall it took me to out in some farm fields for a non-existant dairy stand.  

I'm chuckling -- last year at the Regional, my wife and I decided we wanted some dinner at a little joint in Mineral Point.

Who knew there were two Mineral Points in Wisconsin -- one with, you know, buildings and streets and eateries and gas stations . . .. and one in the middle of a corn field, 30 some odd miles from the one with streets and stuff.

;-}

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:43:57 am »

I'm always amazed at how many people have the Zumos—those things are freakin' expensive!  EEK! I'm also amazed more people haven't looked at the Garmin Oregon. I'm loving mine (and it's a touchscreen so can be used with gloves).

But I know your choice of GPS depends on whether you also want to listen to tunes, yak on the phone, dial up weather, etc...so I guess if you do all those things all the time, dropping $800 on a GPS makes sense (I think, LOL).

I realized I also forgot to include Tom-Tom units in the poll...but I don't even know if they make any suitable for motorcycling?

Scott

bomber

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 11:55:16 am »

I'm always amazed at how many people have the Zumos—those things are freakin' expensive!  EEK!
Scott

One word -- refurb.

50% discount, minimum.

;-}

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 12:01:59 pm »

Was just checking the Tom-Tom site...and didn't know they had a motorcycling unit called the "Rider" (original name, LOL).
http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=1&Language=4

I'll have to do some searching around here...has anybody gotten one yet? Any reviews?

Scott

PS - Yeah, a refurbished Zumo would be the way to go...I wouldn't mind having one...but I like the smaller Oregon 'cause I use it for bicycling too (a Zumo would look pretty funny strapped to a bicycle handlebar.  Lol )

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 12:03:08 pm »

Lol

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:03:51 pm »

Lol  Lol

Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Red 2002 Honda VFR Interceptor
GPS: Ottawa, ON, Great White North
Miles Typed: 1009

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:34 pm »

Am I the only one who uses a (very) old Garmin GPS V?
OK, so the base map dates from 2001, my loadable-via-serial-port maps (CitySelect North America V. 5) does not give me info on most backroads, but hey, for $150 (new in box) back in 2005, it did the trick in the last five years!

: proselyting daily for the Church of the Holy Interceptor and passing out the Kool-Aid.
http://www.grandcorbeau.com/images/icons.jpg
See you Aug. 2nd-5th, 2013 for SNOB III
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4577

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:50 pm »

Oh good gravy, those Star Wars voice-over clips are great.  Lol

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Mr. Whippy

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 01:04:03 pm »

I think the poll should have allowed multiple votes since I split time between Nuvi in the car, and Zumo on the bikes.  I voted Zumo because I have two of them, but that also leaves out the Foretrex.

This.

I use a Nuvi in the car, and eTrex on the bike.  I don't use audible prompts on the bike so the small, inexpensive eTrex fits the bill.  Nuvi isn't guaranteed for water resistance.
Cruzman

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 Yamaha FZ1
Miles Typed: 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 02:09:48 pm »

I am currently using a 5 or 6 year old TomTom one.  (on the bike) and a Garmin Nuvi in my cage.   The Nuvi is a bottom of the line GPS but does everything I need it to do in the car like traffic avoidance and take me here to my destination but does not have the necessary functions for route planning and stuff.  The biggest short coming and why it is not on my bike is the fact that I can not load routes into this device.  I am sure I can find some software that will do it, but until the warranty is up I am not going to tinker with it.  

The TomTom one has really been a great GPS.  I like the layout of the windows and the order that you do things.  It is very intuitive.  It is very easy to do route planning and even allows you to save these routes so you can use them over and over...  However stock it has a few drawbacks.  1. No trip computer function (this was why I bought the Garmin for the cage)  2. (no earphone connection so I can not tie it into my Motocom.   3.  The device is not water proof.  

Upgrade for solution to problem #1
I've found a solution to the lack of a trip computer.  Via the wonder world  of the World Wide Web...  I've came across a download called Tom Tom TripMaster.  This download brings out the full capabilities of the TomTom with very few drawbacks.  I highly recommend this as an addition to your tomtom.  The one option that this software has that I can not yet take advantage of is speed alert.  The software allows you to specify a speed and if your GPS supports it it will send out an audio signal alerting you to the fact your going to fast.  Other features of this software. 1) Large Speed Readout.  2) elevation readout. 3) Max Speed Readout.  4) average speed,  5) Distance   6 data logging,  (I am sure it does a bunch more but this is all I really use)

Upgrade for sa solution to number 2 no ear phone jack.  
When I found it was necessary to replace the battery in the TomTom I cracked the case and noticed how easy it would be to solder a connection onto the connections for the external speaker.  Then with some support from Radio Shack I was able to get a standard headphone jack and solder it in.   I didn't install the jack in the case since it was too tight a fit, but instead drilled a small hole and fed the wires through.  

I've not found a solution to number 3 yet, but I know I can do it.  so far anytime  the weather has gotten threatening I either drop it in my tank bag or it sits out behind the faring and as long as I am making decent speed it seems to come out without any issues.  

Cruzman  (noobe)
Atlanta, GA
 Past bikes 1981 Suzuki GS 750-EZ 1985 FJ1100 "Trigger" (Stock) Present bikes 2002 FZ1000 "Stella"  (slipon, Re-jeted, AIS eliminated, fender
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 03:51:59 pm »

Maybe I've just trained myself well...but I've never had a GPS that gave voice directions...and it's difficult for me to imagine ever needing that feature? (e.g. I'm surprised at how many people seem to depend on that!). I just glance at my GPS often, and always keep one of my data fields displayed that shows "Distance to Next (Turn)" so I always know exactly how much farther til the next navigation point.

Scott

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 04:09:06 pm »

Maybe I've just trained myself well...but I've never had a GPS that gave voice directions...and it's difficult for me to imagine ever needing that feature? (e.g. I'm surprised at how many people seem to depend on that!). I just glance at my GPS often, and always keep one of my data fields displayed that shows "Distance to Next (Turn)" so I always know exactly how much farther til the next navigation point.

Scott

I do the same, but I turn on the voice when I use it in the truck.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal