Topic: New rider  (Read 6949 times)

Corwin

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: D675
Miles Typed: 147

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2006, 05:13:10 pm »

Hello, I'm a new rider from BC (Canada).  I started riding in June of this year and have managed to put about 8500 km on my bike since.  I commute to work daily unless there is snow on the road.  
I own a KLR 650, which I bought as a beginner bike.  I am now looking into getting a street bike.  
Any thoughts on a SV 650 vs FZ6?

Thanks.

Thanks to our excellent freeway system, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.  ~Lao Tzu
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

BlueRidgeKat
STN Member Since 7-03 Contributor, Location Virginia

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 07:25:41 pm »

Quote from: Corwin;8900
Thanks.
If thats the two you have narrowed it down to then it will probably come down to which of the two fit you the best and if you prefer a V-twin or a inline 4. I really like the V-twin in the SV but the Yamaha feels so much better to me. Both are great, only you can decide which is best for you.
Against The Wind
No, I really haven't figured it out.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
Miles Typed: 6710

My Photo Gallery

Feel the wind...and set yourself the bolder course

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 11:00:54 pm »

Both are great bikes.

And welome to our world.
Advertisement

Sock Puppet
Dirty when I when I wanna be.

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 308

My Photo Gallery

2003 Ducati Monster 800Si.e., 2006 Wee Strom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 09:27:10 am »

If one of your primary uses will be commuting, then I strongly recommend the SV650.  The Yammy is a great bike but won't feel as agile in traffic as the SV.  The naked SV in particular will give you an excellent seating position to help you see the other vehicles and (hopefully) predict their actions.  In addition, the SV will still put a huge grin on your face!  I've had bikes with 130+hp that didn't make me smile like my little SV.

The FZ6 will make a better sport-tourer, but I honestly have no complaints about my SV.  I've done 350 mile days so far without complaint, and I find that I prefer the naked to my faired bike for most riding.

I bought my 2006 SV650 (naked) in early October for $5300 out-the-door and had them throw in the 500 mile service for free.  That is one heck of a bargain for an extremely reliable bike!

People learn, not by the mistakes they make, but by the price they pay.
Lon
Mower

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 Concours 14, '08 DL1000, '10 KTM 690 E-R
GPS: Hudson, NH
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 08:36:38 am »

Either one will do well.  If you want one of them, find someone who will let you test ride them if possible.

Test rides are really important.  Another thing to note is that the 2007 SV650 is available with antilock brakes.  While antilock brakes are not a substitute for good braking techniques, they will undoubtedly get you out of a hairy situation at least once (and that's all it takes to justify the cost). Smile

'10 Concours 14 / '10 KTM 690 E-R / '08 DL1000
AMA / ST.N / DoD / RoK
evilmedic13
Fantastic and sarcastic!

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: FJR1300,R1200GS Advenure
Miles Typed: 894

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 10:35:04 am »

Welcome. Pick whichever fits you best, no need poking around w/ something you're uncomfortable on. See if test rides are available.

Corwin

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 10:53:39 pm »

Thanks for the information, I will test ride both and see what I like better.  I just read a log of a trip done last summer on a FZ6 from Vancouver to Halifax.  Seemed to go very well other than a small mishap on a slope when stopping.  It'll be interesting to see how the low end torque of the SV feels in traffic.

I will let you know next year which one I have ended up with.

Thanks to our excellent freeway system, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.
Dot

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '08
Motorcycles: 1973 Honda 350 (years ago); 2005 SV 650 (aka Sadie); 2009 Ducati Monster 696 (aka Toto); 2010 Yamaha FZ1; 2013 BMW F800 (Gilliam, The Shuttle) GT
GPS: Reston, VA
Miles Typed: 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 06:29:35 am »

I"m a newbie myself, but for the past year I have been enjoying the heck out of my naked SV650. I had an issue with a twitchie throttle, but i got used to it, and at the one year service they did an adjustment that seems to have taken care of it. Good luck.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 12:09:11 pm »

Please post back when you decide and remember... The Bike Will Not Exist to Us Without Pictures.

We love pictures!
Cpl Punishment

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07, '08
GPS: The Queen Mother's Lap
Miles Typed: 5062

My Photo Gallery

27.23 GBP Sock Puppet, and harbinger of reason.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 02:48:26 pm »

Pics-always my downfall.
Why buy an SV? You'll soon be very bored. How about something a wee bit quirky?

So, what is a sock puppet?
bobmielke

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2005 BMW R1200RT
Miles Typed: 260

My Photo Gallery

Virgin

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 08:22:29 am »

Welcome Corwin. It's always good to hear from our friends in Canada. I made my first trip to BC recently and was totally fascinated. I haven't been out of country since my military days in the early 70s. It sure wasn't much fun seeing $.99 a litre for gasoline there though. My stay was in Vancouver. Of course it rained all three days I was there but my friend & I enjoyed the visit to his relatives anyway. Welcome aboard and please feel free to post a few pics of yourself & your bike.

2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring
Against The Wind
No, I really haven't figured it out.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
Miles Typed: 6710

My Photo Gallery

Feel the wind...and set yourself the bolder course

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 09:01:34 pm »

It sure wasn't much fun seeing $.99 a litre for gasoline there though.

Well Bob, I'm going to assume that you would not have enjoyed accompanying me when I refuelled at a marina this summer. They were the only show in town, it was 80 kms to the nearest other station and I was low on gas. The price was $1.34 Cdn per litre. Now it feels downright cheap at 85 cents.
chornbe

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 09:35:31 pm »

Hello, I'm a new rider from BC (Canada).  I started riding in June of this year and have managed to put about 8500 km on my bike since.  I commute to work daily unless there is snow on the road.  
I own a KLR 650, which I bought as a beginner bike.  I am now looking into getting a street bike.  

Thanks.

I think I'm in the minority, but there was basically nothing I truly liked about the FZ-6 I rode. It buzzed like a bee's nest, the ergos were just "off"... something not quite right. Hard to place. The handling was vague on the best of turns and "ugh" on the harder stuff. The brakes were nice, but a little grabby in the rear. I could see newer riders locking the ass end a LOT. The seat sucked.

In fact, I assumed the FZ-1 was the "same" bike but with a better engine. Once I finally rode one I was happy - thrilled - to see I was wrong.
Corwin

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 02:06:13 am »

Thanks for all the information, I will test ride both and see what I like better.  I also read the log of the cross continental trip mentioned above and the rider is actually from lower mainland area.  I have contacted her and she was able to give me some impressions of the FZ6.  It'll now come down to what feels better to me when I try both.  I figure either one will be a significant step up on the KLR.

2poor

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 01:05:38 pm »

It'll now come down to what feels better to me when I try both.  I figure either one will be a significant step up on the KLR.

Actually, they're both quite a bit lower than the KLR, so it'll be a step down....

I don't have any experience with the FZ, but I do own a KLR and an SV, and I would be very hard pressed to decide which one would go if I could only have one bike.  An SV is a step up in terms of horsepower, making about twice as much as the KLR, but in some other areas there is less difference than you think on the street.  For instance, as good as the SV is in the twisties, I'm just as fast on the KLR.  Top end speed and brakes are where the differences are greatest.
Lon
Mower

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: '10 Concours 14, '08 DL1000, '10 KTM 690 E-R
GPS: Hudson, NH
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 04:26:22 pm »

I think I'm in the minority, but there was basically nothing I truly liked about the FZ-6 I rode. It buzzed like a bee's nest, the ergos were just "off"... something not quite right. Hard to place. The handling was vague on the best of turns and "ugh" on the harder stuff. The brakes were nice, but a little grabby in the rear. I could see newer riders locking the ass end a LOT. The seat sucked.

In fact, I assumed the FZ-1 was the "same" bike but with a better engine. Once I finally rode one I was happy - thrilled - to see I was wrong.

No bike fits everyone Smile

'10 Concours 14 / '10 KTM 690 E-R / '08 DL1000
AMA / ST.N / DoD / RoK
swimmer
Amazing Member

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2011 Tiger 800 Roadie
GPS: Tucson
Miles Typed: 2407

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 08:10:58 pm »

Have you thought about the kawasaki 650R?  It would be worth your while I think.  It's a great bike to commute on and great in the twisties as well.  I put some slightly lower handlebars on mine and it gave the bike more of a sporty feel while still being very comfortable.  I've never ridden an SV650 so I can't compare although I've heard plenty of good things said about them.  I'd imagine either 650 would be cheaper to insure than the FZ6 as well as get better mpg.
Nny
SUV Boxer

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: None right now *sniff*
GPS: Palo Alto CA
Miles Typed: 796

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 01:20:21 pm »

I'm a new rider as well, also on a dual sport (BMW F650GS) and I just demo rode an FZ6 as well as a Ninja 650r.  Keep in mind though, that I've only ridden 4 bikes now total.

1) Suzuki dr-200  (My MSF course bike)
2) My 2001 BMW F650 GS
3) Yamaha FZ6
4) Kawasaki Ninja 650r

impressions of the FZ6:  When I first sat on the FZ6 all the controls seemed small compared to my GS.  The bars are narrower, the signal, starter button, engine cut-off switch all seemed miniaturized.  The next thing that happened was that I had to adjust to the clutch.  The clutch on the FZ6 grabs pretty far out and kind of abruptly.  It's not so much a problem, but you just need to keep that in mind.  There were a few stoplights that I revved to 5k and probably confused the hell out of the other riders in the group.  Razz  Once it engages you really control more with the throttle than the clutch in first(the opposite can be said for the dr-200 and the GS).  After I got it moving I was impressed with how smooth it was compared to my thumper.  Below around 5k RPM it was really quiet and smooth.  The strange thing with it, for me was getting on the freeway in 2nd and cruising at 70 in 3rd at around 6-7k RPM.  The same speed on my F650 would equate to about 5k in 5th gear (with a 7k redline).  The seating position was forward more from my F650 but not uncomfortable.  I did kinda feel "perched" on top of the bike though, rather than "in the cockpit".  We went up into some twisties and the bike seemed pretty smooth and wanted to go faster than the lead was riding.  I was also with a few cruisers so I assume it was more to keep them with us. Wink  I didn't notice much in the way of bumps so I have to assume the suspension was doing it's job.  There were a few turns where the pavement was a bit on the rough side and it didn't wobble and was pretty confidence inspiring.  I also liked that I didn't need to keep much of an eye on the RPM's because the tach goes to 14k giving you a wide range of speeds to be able to roll on through the turn.  Another thing I noticed was that the throttle required a lot less effort to turn than my GS.  I guess I just have stronger springs.  The instrument panel didn't really do much for me, I think I prefer a regular needle tach to the LCD display as there isn't as much contrast, but the speedo was readable as well as the various lights for signals etc.  Low speed was also steady and the clutch didn't require much modulation.  I did the ride without earplugs to keep an ear out to see what the engine sounded like and I wasn't really impressed with the sound while riding.  There was a whine that popped up on the freeway but I assume it would have gone away shifting up.  Probably wouldn't have heard it with my earplugs in.  The brakes seemed fine, and the levers seemed to have just enough resistance.  The shifter was much smoother than my F650 but that's not saying a whole lot.   Lol

650r:  I really was kind of underwhelmed riding the 650r after the FZ6.  The clutch was much more in control of modulation at parking lot speeds, the bars were a bit wider but also angled more, the ride position was fine, and the sound was better.  But at speed I didn't feel as steady on the 650r.  The suspension seemed stiff going over bumps but soft in corners.  The brakes work really well though, as I found out as the rider in front of me slowed to a stop to let a confused cager exit across our lane from the left.  The 650r seemed a bit "torqueier" and was happy rolling on throttle pretty much anywhere in the rev range.  

I had fun on both bikes, but felt much more comfortable on the FZ6 and had more fun.  Inlove

After the test rides I felt much more at home on my F650.  I'm 6ft and 260lbs so I'm kinda big.  The F650 fits me better than either of the two I test rode.  If I could have more than one bike I'd probably pick up the FZ6, but for now I'll stick with my laid back, go anywhere, tough as nails, thumper.

Unfortunately I've not ridden an SV650 so I can't say anything other than I've heard a lot of good things about it.  I've also heard a lot of good things about the DL650 Vstrom.

"Empty your mind.  Be formless...  Shapeless...  Like water." -Bruce Lee
toddrod

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
GPS: San Jose, CA
Miles Typed: 5636

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 03:29:31 am »

Pics-always my downfall.
Why buy an SV? You'll soon be very bored. How about something a wee bit quirky?

I disagree...I think an SV would not get boring for anyone starting out. I think even experienced riders have said many good things about the SV that would indicate that this is not a boring bike.

I just wanna throw the "Yo!"
catches

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 04 SV650 Track Bike, 04 ST1300
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 11:11:30 am »

I disagree...I think an SV would not get boring for anyone starting out. I think even experienced riders have said many good things about the SV that would indicate that this is not a boring bike.

That's sure the truth...I've now turned my 04 SV into my track bike and have such a wonderful time embarassing litre bike riders with it.  A few tweaks to the suspension and a new exhaust and the SV can be a very potent little track/race bike.  I've been pretty surprised at the number of WERA racers who run all the classes up to and inluding the litre bikes who at some point sell their 180mph adrenaline rockets and go after the dimunitive SV650 for racing.  If you keep up your end of the bargain, the SV will never get boring.   The below photo is not me btw...I'm not that fast.  This is another SV rider at Barber.  

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c84/danjasa/dankinkcompress.jpg
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 11:17:39 am by catches » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal