Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2011 Iron Butt Rally  (Read 63007 times)

D-Mac

Reputation 21

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Mid-Michigan
Miles Typed: 1128

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:25 pm »

Starters for the 2011 Iron Butt Rally were drawn yesterday, so we might as well get this thread underway.

Unlike the threads I started for the last several Iron Butt events, I actually made the draw this time. My heart goes out to those who applied but weren't drawn (I've been applying for years and have lost the exact count of how many times I wasn't drawn; I wasn't picked for the IBA 5000 either). It will be my first IBR, and only my second multi-day rally (my showing in my first rally was less than impressive too).

I'll be riding my RT (once it's farkled properly for the task). Prepping my sorry ass for the insanity will be a much bigger endeavor. I've done a few IBA rides, but this is obviously in a whole different league. I can't even imagine what Day 4 will be like let alone Days 9-11.

My goal? Finish and represent the lunch crowd from Region 4/Michigan well.

Who is in? out? other?

Discuss.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:57:56 pm by D-Mac » Logged

IBA#443 ('11 IBR finisher)
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

UFO

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:58:36 pm »

Bigok  Good luck!  I love reading about the IBR.  Let's me live vicariously through you crazy MFers. Lol
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:41:36 pm »

Awesome! Congrats, D-Mac. You're in for a big time adventure.

I've run a lot of rallies but never even tried to enter the IBR. Takes cajones and a few loose screws. Just remember that Mr. Motrin and Ms. Gold Bond will be your new best friends.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
Advertisement

croach1776

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1983 GS750ES Suzuki, 2005 ZG1000 - Concours
Miles Typed: 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 04:50:42 pm »

I would suggest that you read all the IBR reports on their website going back to the 1990s and the Ron Ayers books.  They should give you a good idea of what you will face and how to avoid most of the common mistakes. I am planning on getting in the draw for the 2013. Have started getting ready - mainly my own conditioning and to test out best equipment. Good luck and please keep us posted on your preps, etc.
DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 05:07:04 pm »

Congrts.
I did not enter this year - but I am glad STN rill be representing.

Come on down and do the MD2020 on memorial day - I'll be there yet again, and I'm going to talk Squeezer and his son to come down and judge!

You will meet many of your fellow riders and they are all great.

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
D-Mac

Reputation 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 06:13:42 pm »

Thanks guys.

I really should do another rally as part of my prep. and try and to do some more long rides on the RT. I haven't done a BBG on any bike yet, but that would be a good one to attempt. I learned a lot from my first rally (the NSR last June), but I know I have a LOT more still to learn. I also have a different bike than I had for all of my previous IBA rides, so that's a work in progress too. I need a new seat, crashbars, highway-pegs, new GPS, better earphones, etc.

I've read all of the old IBR reports and both of Ayers' books (several times). I also own the first Hard Miles video and just ordered the second one. I will be re-reading/watching all of this stuff again and practicing my routing skills. The NSR gave me a good idea of my riding speed and the importance of reading directions carefully and literally (I didn't leave any points at the table, but I spent too much time getting the perfect photo and didn't trust myself enough to keep moving). With the additional time pressure at the IBR (I won't have a week to look at the bonuses like the NSR) it will be a much bigger challenge. Fatigue will certainly play a role too. I still need to get a good system down for route planning. Once I think I have one I will test it by routing old IBRs and comparing my selected routes to those done by actual riders.

I'm also going to soak up as much advice as possible from more experience riders.

DNA

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 06:18:19 pm »

If you want to learn routing - learn from the best.

Start here.  Seriously.

http://alaska.derrickandlove.net/The%20Jim%20Owen%27Method.htm

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
D-Mac

Reputation 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:18:09 pm »

If you want to learn routing - learn from the best.

Start here.  Seriously.

http://alaska.derrickandlove.net/The%20Jim%20Owen%27Method.htm

Thanks! I've seen that, but had lost the link. This guy is amazing. A 2nd place followed by a win in the IBR is unreal.

desert_rider
When in doubt - keep moving!

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s, 1977 Yamaha XS360
GPS: Yucca Valley, SoCal
Miles Typed: 2307

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 07:34:06 pm »

Congrats D-Mac!!

Keep us updated on your progress, we'll be pulling for you.

IBA#39121
sleazy rider

Reputation 37

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Miles Typed: 5560

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:46 pm »

EEK!  Whoa!  Congrats!  You're in for the ride of your life, but you've got a really good mount for it in the RT.  That or an 1800 Wing would be my choice.   Bigok  Us Region 4 folks can say we knew you when.  
Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 08:30:25 pm »

Congrats! I think the RT will work out way better for you than the FZ6. I could never convince myself to even do a SS1000 on the FZ, glad you are representing R4!  Bigok
Bender

Reputation 58

Motorcycles: Sold everything .... Next bike is .........
GPS: Fowlerville,Mi
Miles Typed: 1008

My Photo Gallery

Winning at a track near you....

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 08:48:29 pm »

Congrats Dean...were pulling for ya.  Bigok

Time to call a lunch meet in Copper Harbor.... you know, for practice.  Lol Lol

Bikeless for now ....
OU812

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: '14KX250F, '07WR250F, 89' GL1500(,Oldwing)
GPS: Buffalo Grove IL
Miles Typed: 2261

My Photo Gallery

The older I get, the faster I was...

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 09:04:17 pm »

Congrats D-Mac!!

Keep us updated on your progress, we'll be pulling for you.

Yes please and how COOL! Bigok

The older I get the faster Ed was....Smile
Boov

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '99 CBR1100XX
GPS: Jenison, MI
Miles Typed: 211

My Photo Gallery

If you see my bike on a trailer, it's been stolen!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:39 pm »

Congratulations on the pick, that's awesome!

Good luck man.  Are you still going to try the BBG1500 at some point first?

My drinking buddies have a biking problem.
IBA #42106
 http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/jboeve/StatesandProvinces.jpg
Specter
Now on a FJR1300A

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '05 Yamaha FJR 1300
GPS: Fremont, CA
Miles Typed: 632

My Photo Gallery

He who hesitates, is passed

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 09:59:30 pm »

Congrats on your draw.  Opportunity of a lifetime.

Check the IBA calendar for any rallies you can find this fall. With the IBR starting so early next year, you might not have too many options.

- Fast-Forward Sightseeing
2005 FJR1300A
IBA 492 Darksider #58
wibornz
Phototagging???? Huh never heard of it. Sounds like it could be fun.

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: Concours 14, Ninja 650r and about 14 dirt bikes 10 or so atvs and six or seven other streebikes over the years.
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 3196

My Photo Gallery

I do wheelies, get over it.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 06:54:42 am »

Well you know that you have our support.  During the rally, if you come thorough your home state or close to it...... We will be here for you.  

TED
I have been married longer than I have not been married.  I have worked on my job longer than I have not worked at my job. 
Motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jeeps, and a wife....Where the hell is my money going again?  Life has been good to me
Ignacio

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2005 FJR
Miles Typed: 104

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 01:24:12 pm »

Congrats on the draw.  It will be life changing...I know. Wink

Getting some seat time and a rally would be very helpful...tough thing is that the IBR is in the beginning of the season next year.

Thanks! I've seen that, but had lost the link. This guy is amazing. A 2nd place followed by a win in the IBR is unreal.

It's far more dramatic than that actually.  While 2009 was a win he had competed many times before.

The 2nd place in 2007 included some serious drama where the guy who won has an asterisk by his name because of the team of helpers he had behind the scenes feeding him information including reports of the position of Owen on GPS tracking.

In 2005 Owen led from beginning to 600 miles from the end of the rally where he had a mechanical failure.  He got a standing ovation for his DNF.

He was also in 2003 and finished towards the bottom...not sure if there was drama that year.

I use that method too...but with some mid teen finishes in the IBR and a string of 2nd places in other rallies  this year.  Wink

I think Jim Owen is the greatest sportsman in the sport.  Besides being a genuinely nice guy...he even teaches you how to beat him with the links like Derrick provided.

DNA

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 01:42:32 pm »

To add on that he gives us noobs and wanabe's an hour long seminar the night before the MD2020 and always offers tho9ughtful advice if you ask him routing questions and strategies BEFORE the rally when everyone has their game face on.

D-Mac

Reputation 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 08:34:15 pm »

Yup. No doubt about it. Owen is amazing.

I just watched Hard Miles 2 (came in the mail today). Lots of good stuff in there. I enjoyed the first one, and I think this one was even more insightful. My wife will be screening it tonight. I can't think of a better way to explain LD riding and the IBR to her.

My goal is clearly just to be a finisher. Forget the top 10, 25, or even top 50. I know myself enough to know that I will not push it that hard. I'm competing with myself on this one. One guy at the NSR told me that I would never crack the top 10 at any rally unless I was willing to risk a DNF (specifically, he said that if I never DNF'd I wasn't trying hard enough). I suspect he's right.  

I also ran into Ken Meese at enough bonuses at the NSR to realize that he was CLEARLY in another league in terms of his ability to know his limits and ride to them (he was 9th at the IBR 2009 and has won a ton of events). I was happy that I rode what I had planned until I hit mechanical problems, and completed the route in about the amount of time I thought it would take. I lost points in Milwaukee because my GPS maps were out of date, and I was early to the end because I had to leave out big points in Chicago when I couldn't shift below 4th so I gave up on city bonuses. I stayed calm and re-routed things on the fly. I learned a lot. Can I learn enough to do it for 11 days? We'll find out! I'm VERY goal-oriented, so that should help for a while.

I will be plotting a lot of simulated routes and comparing them to what actual riders did in previous IBRs. The fact that routes of all riders are published is fantastic. Then I plan to do a bunch of long days and practice riding some regional routes to help get a better idea of my pace. I might try another rally (a really, really good idea) if I can fit it in.

It looks like it takes luck, avoidance of bonehead moves, and steady planning (especially on the last leg) to finish the IBR.

Rocket_Cowboy
Long Distance Rider

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, SV1000S
GPS: Dallas, TX
Miles Typed: 421

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 01:11:47 am »

Congrats on the draw!

I suspect that I'll be tossing my name back into the bucket at some point, but after riding it in 2009, and everything that's happened since then, I just couldn't rationalize the time to invest in doing it in 2011. It is addicting through ... I still feel I have something to prove.

Saddle time in your new bike is going to be key. Working out any kind of comfort issues, knowing your limits on what you can easily do in a day or what you can push to if needed, will all add to keeping calm. Riding extra rallies is great for getting the on-the-clock planning down. I don't know that I feel doing a BBG is mandatory ... my biggest day was probably the last day, and even then only 1200 miles or so ... but from the perspective of knowing your limits I can see were trying it out would be good.

If I could suggest anything, it would be to try and learn the tips/tricks about riding in the parts of the country you are least familiar with. Done border crossings into Canada (from Michigan I'm guessing so)? Ferry rides down the east coast? 114+ heat in the southwest? Or what happens when the BMW dealer in Denver breaks your windshield mount and you have to ride from Denver to LA with no windshield? Smile Think about what can happen on your ride, and try to have a plan thought out in advance so that if the scenario comes up it's not something new.

Last of all ... have fun, ride safe, and I can't wait to hear the stories!!!

2006 BMW R1200RT
2004 Suzuki SV1000S
IBA #21653, AMA, BMW MOA blog, pictures
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal