Poll
Question: Which manufacturer are you most impressed with lately and why?
Aprilia
BMW
Ducati
Honda
Kawasaki
Suzuki
Yamaha
Triumph
Harley Davidson
KTM
Moto Guzzi
Other

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Manufacturer you're most impressed with lately  (Read 29187 times)

sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:09:48 pm »

Hmmmm???......

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:31:18 pm »

Triumph, for damn near every reason possible.

Refusing to be steeped in nostalgia only, roaring back into the market place after having damn near the entire factory burn to the ground, buy, mostly, for having a very impressive and wide-ranging line-up.

Factor in the small size and short history of the brand (this time around), these accomplishment become more impressive.

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
chornbe

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:31:49 pm »

Triumph, with Harley and Aprilia as a close seconds.

If the Guzzi refresh stuff comes to fruition, it'll be Guzzi in 2013.
Advertisement

MadOzodi

Reputation 6

GPS: StL, MO
Miles Typed: 1452

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 04:09:33 pm »

Triumph...especially after attending their demo day this past weekend.

Although, if there's some bike-washing by bikini clad females at the Ducati demo days this upcoming weekend, I may have to change my vote.

Bigsmile

00 Obsidian Black Triumph Legend TT - gone, but not forgotten; 09 Pacific Blue Triumph Sprint ST - sold
11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (totaled) - giddyup!; 11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (Take Two) - less giddyu
Galo
Non cogito, ergo zoom

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Yes
GPS: Just West of PDX
Miles Typed: 4586

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 03:27:07 am »

I voted Triumph....no doubt about it.....
KTM would be a close second....

Not all who wander are lost....
JRR Tolkien
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:55:45 am »

Triumph for sure. Look at all the really well-done new models that have come out in the last 5 years. BMW has been revamping their line, but I don't find myself drawn to them for some reason. Of the Japanese brands, I'd vote Kawasaki because they have been putting out good new models too (ZX-14, C14, Versys, 650R/ER6N, etc).

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 08:13:53 am »

Triumph for sure. Look at all the really well-done new models that have come out in the last 5 years. BMW has been revamping their line, but I don't find myself drawn to them for some reason. Of the Japanese brands, I'd vote Kawasaki because they have been putting out good new models too (ZX-14, C14, Versys, 650R/ER6N, etc).

I'm with you on all these. Triumph is doing a good job of putting out new or nicely updated models that are very interesting. Something the big 4 should look at and take notice.

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
JReazor

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:17:22 am »

Triumph. They're stepping up in a big way. No one else is even close but I would put Yamaha in the number 2 spot for having the balls to bring the Super Tenere to the States.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:25:49 am »

How bout Benelli and Moto Morini for surviving the economic slow down...so far  Smile

squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 09:48:52 am »

Triumph, easily. They keep going their own way, cranking out one cool bike after another. I should own one.

I hadn't thought much about Kawasaki until reading garry's comment, but I think he has a good point. They've been bringing some nice stuff to the table. Who woulda thunk it?

And I still think Duc hit a home run with the new multi.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
MadOzodi

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 10:59:03 am »

I totally agree that Duc hit a home run with the MTS 12, but seeing it in person didn't make me drool as much as I did when I first saw pictures of it.  For some reason, because of the pictures and/or its reported weight, I wasn't expecting the bike to be as large as it is in person.

Still, if my inseam were adequate enough, I'd own one.  Bigok

00 Obsidian Black Triumph Legend TT - gone, but not forgotten; 09 Pacific Blue Triumph Sprint ST - sold
11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (totaled) - giddyup!; 11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (Take Two) - less giddyu
Frankienuckles

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2003 gsxr 1000, 2000 ktm DukeII
GPS: Northeastern Ct
Miles Typed: 1244

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:53:29 am »

I like when bike makers think outside of the box. So, I applaud Aprilia, BMW and Piagggio. Mostly for trying new stuff that offer funtional improvement over existing products.
stevent
Aging Cafe` Racer

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '10 K1300GT
GPS: near Tacoma, Wa.
Miles Typed: 1692

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 12:10:37 pm »

Triumph fer sure, excellent mix of bikes. I only wish they'd resurrect my beloved Trophy.....snatched from my hands and crushed by the cruel hand of fate, helped along by a bunch of assholes in a pile o' shit Accord.

BMW and Honda seems to be going out of their way to over complicate things and Christ knows what Harley is up to. Supposedly reaching out to a younger clientele while simultaneously dropping the Buell line which might actually appeal to them. Oh well there's always the 356th version of the Sportster.....

Rolleyes

Carpe` Throttleum - Loud Suits Save Lives -

"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"
MadOzodi

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 12:44:44 pm »

Ok, I think I need to give both Soozy and Kawi some kind of honorable mention...particularly with the Bandit 1200FA and  Ninja 1000 coming to the states along with the updates to the GSX-R600/750 and ZX-10R.

Thumbsup

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 03:59:24 pm »

Triumph, they seem very tuned into the motorcycling world and have a set of balls to try new models,directions , and the sense to carve out thier own nich

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2009 Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 623

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 05:33:39 pm »

Kawasaki.  The Versys, z1000 and the new ninja 1000 are all bikes that I would LOVE to have in my garage.  They're also the first of the big 4 to try and knock BMW off the liter bike throne.  

Suzuki is still sleeping after not importing anything in 2010, Yamaha has the FZ8 but everything else is bold new graphics.  As far as Honda is concerned: "Shamu" 'nuff said.

As far as Triumph is concerned, they discontinued the ST here in the states so I'm pissed at them and this is my form of revenge.  Take THAT you bloody brits!
SilverHound

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 FJR1300ES
GPS: Eastern PA
Miles Typed: 527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »

Suzuki for just saying "screw it" for 2010 instead of pretending to ship new models that are just repainted '09s or sad excuses for "new and innovative" bikes.  Thumbsup
caddydaddy

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
GPS: Harlingen, Texas USA
Miles Typed: 1299

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 07:38:49 pm »

As far as Triumph is concerned, they discontinued the ST here in the states so I'm pissed at them and this is my form of revenge.  Take THAT you bloody brits!

I just rode the new Sprint GT, and trust me, it's every bit as good as the ST, just more refined!   Wink

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
evilted

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: Fun ones.
GPS: Atlanta, GA
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 08:01:14 pm »

Voted for BMW.  Mostly because I'm impressed at the execution of the S1000RR -- first year out, and they hit a home run in the most competitive segment in terms of annual R&D investment.  But also for the K1600GT(L); the ongoing refinement of their signature boxer twin; their creation and domination of the adventure touring category for the past decade; putting Christan Pfeiffer on the payroll; and blazing their own trail when it comes to things like suspension design.

Curiously, I've never owned a BMW and probably won't next year either, unless I lose interest in the two or three bikes I'm currently interested in.

Sadly, Honda has been the biggest disappointment.  The CBRs are still fantastic machines and Honda's investment shows, but the rest of the product range seems dated (e.g., ST1300, Goldwing (a great bike to be sure, but getting long in the tooth), XR650L), or just not terribly interesting (VTX1300, Fury -- Yamaha does cruisers too, but the Stratoliner/Roadliner & Raider look and feel like high dollar machines rather than metric copies of an American standard), and the VFR clearly didn't live up to the hype we'd heard.   But Big Red could still redeem itself in 2011 with a VFR1200-based ST1300 replacement, and a new & sportier 'Wing in 2012.
evilted

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: Fun ones.
GPS: Atlanta, GA
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 08:08:58 pm »

Yeah, I was disappointed to learn that the new GT is down in terms of power to weight ratio.  The GT also strikes me as an obvious stop-gap given that Triumph stuck with the conventional Showa forks instead of switching to an inverted cartridge design & radial front brakes like the Tiger has had for years.

That said, I love my ST.  It's been super reliable, fairly cheap to run, offers rougly the same power/weight ratio as the FJR or C14 with a very wide powerband, and is a blast to ride on twisty roads.  The GT is probably very much similar in this regard, but with better pillion accommodations and panniers that fit a size large full face helmet. Smile

I just rode the new Sprint GT, and trust me, it's every bit as good as the ST, just more refined!   Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal