Poll
Question: Which manufacturer are you most impressed with lately and why?
Aprilia
BMW
Ducati
Honda
Kawasaki
Suzuki
Yamaha
Triumph
Harley Davidson
KTM
Moto Guzzi
Other

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Manufacturer you're most impressed with lately  (Read 28199 times)

sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:09:48 pm »

Hmmmm???......

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:31:18 pm »

Triumph, for damn near every reason possible.

Refusing to be steeped in nostalgia only, roaring back into the market place after having damn near the entire factory burn to the ground, buy, mostly, for having a very impressive and wide-ranging line-up.

Factor in the small size and short history of the brand (this time around), these accomplishment become more impressive.

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
chornbe

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:31:49 pm »

Triumph, with Harley and Aprilia as a close seconds.

If the Guzzi refresh stuff comes to fruition, it'll be Guzzi in 2013.
Advertisement

MadOzodi

Reputation 6

GPS: StL, MO
Miles Typed: 1452

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 04:09:33 pm »

Triumph...especially after attending their demo day this past weekend.

Although, if there's some bike-washing by bikini clad females at the Ducati demo days this upcoming weekend, I may have to change my vote.

Bigsmile

00 Obsidian Black Triumph Legend TT - gone, but not forgotten; 09 Pacific Blue Triumph Sprint ST - sold
11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (totaled) - giddyup!; 11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (Take Two) - less giddyu
Galo
Non cogito, ergo zoom

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Yes
GPS: Just West of PDX
Miles Typed: 4586

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 03:27:07 am »

I voted Triumph....no doubt about it.....
KTM would be a close second....

Not all who wander are lost....
JRR Tolkien
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:55:45 am »

Triumph for sure. Look at all the really well-done new models that have come out in the last 5 years. BMW has been revamping their line, but I don't find myself drawn to them for some reason. Of the Japanese brands, I'd vote Kawasaki because they have been putting out good new models too (ZX-14, C14, Versys, 650R/ER6N, etc).

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 08:13:53 am »

Triumph for sure. Look at all the really well-done new models that have come out in the last 5 years. BMW has been revamping their line, but I don't find myself drawn to them for some reason. Of the Japanese brands, I'd vote Kawasaki because they have been putting out good new models too (ZX-14, C14, Versys, 650R/ER6N, etc).

I'm with you on all these. Triumph is doing a good job of putting out new or nicely updated models that are very interesting. Something the big 4 should look at and take notice.

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
JReazor

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:17:22 am »

Triumph. They're stepping up in a big way. No one else is even close but I would put Yamaha in the number 2 spot for having the balls to bring the Super Tenere to the States.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:25:49 am »

How bout Benelli and Moto Morini for surviving the economic slow down...so far  Smile

squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 09:48:52 am »

Triumph, easily. They keep going their own way, cranking out one cool bike after another. I should own one.

I hadn't thought much about Kawasaki until reading garry's comment, but I think he has a good point. They've been bringing some nice stuff to the table. Who woulda thunk it?

And I still think Duc hit a home run with the new multi.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
MadOzodi

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 10:59:03 am »

I totally agree that Duc hit a home run with the MTS 12, but seeing it in person didn't make me drool as much as I did when I first saw pictures of it.  For some reason, because of the pictures and/or its reported weight, I wasn't expecting the bike to be as large as it is in person.

Still, if my inseam were adequate enough, I'd own one.  Bigok

00 Obsidian Black Triumph Legend TT - gone, but not forgotten; 09 Pacific Blue Triumph Sprint ST - sold
11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (totaled) - giddyup!; 11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (Take Two) - less giddyu
Frankienuckles

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2003 gsxr 1000, 2000 ktm DukeII
GPS: Northeastern Ct
Miles Typed: 1244

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:53:29 am »

I like when bike makers think outside of the box. So, I applaud Aprilia, BMW and Piagggio. Mostly for trying new stuff that offer funtional improvement over existing products.
stevent
Aging Cafe` Racer

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '10 K1300GT
GPS: near Tacoma, Wa.
Miles Typed: 1692

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 12:10:37 pm »

Triumph fer sure, excellent mix of bikes. I only wish they'd resurrect my beloved Trophy.....snatched from my hands and crushed by the cruel hand of fate, helped along by a bunch of assholes in a pile o' shit Accord.

BMW and Honda seems to be going out of their way to over complicate things and Christ knows what Harley is up to. Supposedly reaching out to a younger clientele while simultaneously dropping the Buell line which might actually appeal to them. Oh well there's always the 356th version of the Sportster.....

Rolleyes

Carpe` Throttleum - Loud Suits Save Lives -

"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a chickens arse?"
MadOzodi

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 12:44:44 pm »

Ok, I think I need to give both Soozy and Kawi some kind of honorable mention...particularly with the Bandit 1200FA and  Ninja 1000 coming to the states along with the updates to the GSX-R600/750 and ZX-10R.

Thumbsup

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 03:59:24 pm »

Triumph, they seem very tuned into the motorcycling world and have a set of balls to try new models,directions , and the sense to carve out thier own nich

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2009 Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 623

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 05:33:39 pm »

Kawasaki.  The Versys, z1000 and the new ninja 1000 are all bikes that I would LOVE to have in my garage.  They're also the first of the big 4 to try and knock BMW off the liter bike throne.  

Suzuki is still sleeping after not importing anything in 2010, Yamaha has the FZ8 but everything else is bold new graphics.  As far as Honda is concerned: "Shamu" 'nuff said.

As far as Triumph is concerned, they discontinued the ST here in the states so I'm pissed at them and this is my form of revenge.  Take THAT you bloody brits!
SilverHound

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 FJR1300ES
GPS: Eastern PA
Miles Typed: 527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »

Suzuki for just saying "screw it" for 2010 instead of pretending to ship new models that are just repainted '09s or sad excuses for "new and innovative" bikes.  Thumbsup
caddydaddy

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
GPS: Harlingen, Texas USA
Miles Typed: 1299

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 07:38:49 pm »

As far as Triumph is concerned, they discontinued the ST here in the states so I'm pissed at them and this is my form of revenge.  Take THAT you bloody brits!

I just rode the new Sprint GT, and trust me, it's every bit as good as the ST, just more refined!   Wink

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
evilted

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: Fun ones.
GPS: Atlanta, GA
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 08:01:14 pm »

Voted for BMW.  Mostly because I'm impressed at the execution of the S1000RR -- first year out, and they hit a home run in the most competitive segment in terms of annual R&D investment.  But also for the K1600GT(L); the ongoing refinement of their signature boxer twin; their creation and domination of the adventure touring category for the past decade; putting Christan Pfeiffer on the payroll; and blazing their own trail when it comes to things like suspension design.

Curiously, I've never owned a BMW and probably won't next year either, unless I lose interest in the two or three bikes I'm currently interested in.

Sadly, Honda has been the biggest disappointment.  The CBRs are still fantastic machines and Honda's investment shows, but the rest of the product range seems dated (e.g., ST1300, Goldwing (a great bike to be sure, but getting long in the tooth), XR650L), or just not terribly interesting (VTX1300, Fury -- Yamaha does cruisers too, but the Stratoliner/Roadliner & Raider look and feel like high dollar machines rather than metric copies of an American standard), and the VFR clearly didn't live up to the hype we'd heard.   But Big Red could still redeem itself in 2011 with a VFR1200-based ST1300 replacement, and a new & sportier 'Wing in 2012.
evilted

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: Fun ones.
GPS: Atlanta, GA

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 08:08:58 pm »

Yeah, I was disappointed to learn that the new GT is down in terms of power to weight ratio.  The GT also strikes me as an obvious stop-gap given that Triumph stuck with the conventional Showa forks instead of switching to an inverted cartridge design & radial front brakes like the Tiger has had for years.

That said, I love my ST.  It's been super reliable, fairly cheap to run, offers rougly the same power/weight ratio as the FJR or C14 with a very wide powerband, and is a blast to ride on twisty roads.  The GT is probably very much similar in this regard, but with better pillion accommodations and panniers that fit a size large full face helmet. Smile

I just rode the new Sprint GT, and trust me, it's every bit as good as the ST, just more refined!   Wink
chornbe

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 03:48:34 pm »

Suzuki for just saying "screw it" for 2010 instead of pretending to ship new models that are just repainted '09s or sad excuses for "new and innovative" bikes.  Thumbsup

And that year off was a good choice... They're back in pretty bold fashion.
kevin_stevens

Reputation -9

Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR, Buell 1125CR
GPS: I'm right here!
Miles Typed: 5936

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 04:48:39 pm »

Pretty close to a consensus here, wow.

I voted Kawasaki, because they've stayed active in development throughout the last five years:  ZX-14, Versys, ER-6, C-14, Z1000, Ninja 1000, and stepping up with a new ZX-10R.  Much more impressive than any of the other Japanese manufacturers (shoot, maybe the others *combined*) over that time.

BMW would be my second choice, because of the S1000RR, the "fixing" of the K1200 into the K1300, the F800 series, and the new 1600 (not my kind of bike, but still).  They seem to be the "anti-Harley" in terms of how they are breaking out of their traditional audience.

And a couple of years ago I'd have said Triumph, but realistically all of their key bikes are now pretty long in the tooth.  If they rework the 675 and Speed Triple as expected, they may be back up there soon.

KeS
STJoe

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100
GPS: St. Joseph, MO
Miles Typed: 184

My Photo Gallery

Right

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 12:16:16 am »

Far tougher question to answer than "most disappointed".   So many interesting bikes, from some many different manufacturers.  

I went BMW, as they've really come a long way in a very short period of time.  Breaking their image of solid but less than competitive performance, to serious high performance machines.  

Have to think Triumph and Ducati are going to get a lot of votes as well.    

So many choices, so little time.  
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 05:49:35 pm »

Ducati 1st for me because they are still making great bikes and selling them to support the company's racing habit (the best they can in down times).  Also, it was refreshing to see a company listen to its customers to deliver a bike like the Multi.  

KTM and Kawasaki get honorable mentions from me.  KTM has entered the street scene with some very well done bikes (Super Duke, SMs, and SMT) while Kawasaki has impressed me with the C14, the Versys, and some of its newest 2011 models.  
ANZAC

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S and 2009 Triumph Street Triple
GPS: Vancouver, Washington
Miles Typed: 657

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »

Triumph is the one for me with Kawasaki a close second   Thumbsup

We will see what the others like Suzuki have to pull out of their hat next year   :popcorn:

He Has Risen!!
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM450SMR, CRF230F
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 11:40:51 pm »

Kawasaki and KTM: tie

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 01:16:28 am »

Aprilia, for winning World Superbikes in their second year in the series.  Outrageous.   Bigok   Clap Clap

BMW, for entirely updating their line of bikes the last few years.  Includes new smaller bikes, revamped the K1200S to become the vastly superior K1300S, bringing out the HP2 Sport, building the best 1000cc sportbike, and now the six cylinder ubertourers.  That's a lot of change for a historically conservative niche player.    Thumbsup Thumbsup

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 12:22:28 pm »

3 Moto Guzzi for their increasingly good bikes.

2 Ducati for the Multistrada

1 In first place, Royal Enfield for putting a fuel injector on the big single.

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
bassjones

Reputation -11

Motorcycles: 06 VFR ABS
GPS: Fort Wayne, IN
Miles Typed: 2385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 09:37:28 am »

right now Harley has two more votes than Honda  EEK!

I voted Triumph. Kawi would be first among the Japanese bikes.

doublen675

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Idaho
Miles Typed: 152

My Photo Gallery

"I am the Stig"

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 10:54:14 pm »

Triumph for sure.  Love my Street Triple and stoked to see how the new Tiger 800 Adventure bikes are going to stack up to the competition.

sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 12:00:51 pm »

The STNers have spoken.

Triumph with 40%
Kawi with 20%
BMW with 13%

Sidenote: The almighty BIG Red did get 1 vote  Lol I wonder who that was  Rolleyes

GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 02:24:04 pm »

Triumph hands down...
- into of the T8's, nice solutions in the larger mid displacement barrens
- confirmed development of the 1200 platform that promises some interesting potential new rides to come in 2012 including a Trophy tourer, a bigger Tiger in possibly two flavors again like the T8, and the return of a big Daytona in the super sport segment.
- As a former Sprint owner and owner site admin, the new GT literally addresses almost every single significant bitch owners had on the ST, with the exception of the 420w alt which is ample, yet not exactly robust. In my almost 30 years of riding, I have never seen another manufacturer respond as completely to the customer base the way Triumph has with this new model... bravo!

BMW second, something I'm surprised to say...
- F8's across the board, especially the new R,
- K16 raises the bar in the yacht segment, the headlight thing is a very cool idea... if it holds up.
- I even like the little G 450 X thumper, regardless of needing a ladder to get on it.

Yamaha third...
- S10, although I would prefer to see the 660 available too or instead of... crossing my fingers
- FZ8 with some mods could provide an interesting platform for a naked mid sized touring ride

and a distant 4th... even though they completely punted in regards to all of their other new offerings, I commend Honda for joining us in this century with a modern 250cc offering that will be priced in market.

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
Bain Dramage

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2008 BMW R 1200 RT, Ducati Desert Sled
GPS: Valley Springs, Ca
Miles Typed: 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 10:01:58 am »

BMW - Their 1600 is brilliant and their 1000rr is awesome! They continue to lead the industry in innovative design.

Triumph - for many things recently, but mostly for building an adventure bike based on their threesome. I hope the XC is wildly successful (and I wish I could afford to own one).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:04:15 am by Bain Dramage » Logged

At its core, adventure is the willingness to commit to an uncertain outcome with and open heart and mind.
stealth1

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2008 FJR, 2015 KLR
GPS: Cedar City, UT
Miles Typed: 341

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 11:33:03 am »

It's got to be Triumph! By a wide margin.
When you take into consideration the size of the company, they are doing a tremendous job of developing new products that riders actually want to own.

I give BMW and Ducati a tie for 2nd for there electronic advancements.

Kawasaki would be next because the are building user friendly performance bikes as well as attempting to keep up in the superbike electronics war.

Most disappointing would be Honda.
They seem to have lost their focus when it comes to new model development.
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 08:35:26 pm »

they are doing a tremendous job of developing new products that riders actually want to own.

sums it up right there - you'd think all companies would want to make bikes riders want to own?

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 12:03:06 am »

sums it up right there - you'd think all companies would want to make bikes riders want to own?

It's when a company actually listens to their customers. Less ego, more listening.
Hello Honda! You hear that? I didn't think so  Thumbsdown

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 12:14:51 am »

Moto Guzzi has 4 votes.

You may as well lock this poll cuz that's as good as a win  Bigok

Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 05:15:37 pm »

Moto Guzzi has 4 votes.

You may as well lock this poll cuz that's as good as a win  Bigok

The Chinese are coming...you can buy four for one Yurpeen machine...it breaks, you chuck it, it breaks-you get the pitcher.

I used to do this with 70's Urals. Bought 5-none were more than £5-and each time one blew up, I simply slotted an engine into the frame...

gator Larry

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: concours 14 bmw k1100
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 10:50:44 pm »

Kawasaki gets my first place vote. First, they brought out the Concours C14 in 2007 and set the new standard for (large) sport tourers. Then they listened to their customers and radically updated and improved an already excellent motorcycle with the 2010 model. No other manufacturer (that I know of) has done that.

BMW, with the S1000R (I'm alphabet challenged)  set a new standard for performance and technology in the 1000 cc arena and at a reasonable (for a change) price. Good news for everyone- now their competitors will have to match them or even up the ante- Kawasaki already answered with their new 1000 cc ( Ninja?).

GatorLarry
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 10:55:24 pm »

KTM  0 (0%)

????

Twofinger
caddydaddy

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
GPS: Harlingen, Texas USA
Miles Typed: 1299

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 11:20:58 pm »

KTM  0 (0%)

????

Twofinger

Do they still make bikes?   Headscratch

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 02:48:59 pm »

KTM  0 (0%)

????

Twofinger

Are you gonna let Honda beat KTM? That is horrible  Crazy

Baz

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9018

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 02:28:26 am »

I voted BMW just beacuse they have lots of new and very nicely engineered bikes. (Probably the newest full lineup)
napareg

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: bmw r1100s
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 04:00:36 pm »

I Voted BMW for keeping with something that works the boxer engine pure and simple.
BlueRidgeKat
STN Member Since 7-03 Contributor, Location Virginia

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 01:34:26 pm »

Triumph without doubt. Kawasaki 2nd.

When Triumph comes out with the new Trophy they will take the final step to the top over all makes.

The day is coming that people will say "does Honda still make motorcycles?" They have shown the last few years they dont give a shit, then they came out with the new VFR that shows they dont have a clue. Now they have a new 250 but it has no chance to compete with the Ninja 250 because of the price tag. Big Red is fading fast.
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2011, 04:43:37 pm »

Sue Waee Son. Fecking brilliant and only $100 for two.  Thumbsup

mist

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '93 GSX1100G, '08 FJR
GPS: Ypsi Twp, MI
Miles Typed: 118

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2011, 09:14:52 pm »

I voted for Kawi, because of what they did to the Concours. They listened to the people and made the bike better. Also, the Ninja 1000 not only looks sweet it is down right comfortable.  Bigok

MIchiganSportTourer
Thunderbox

Reputation -59

Motorcycles: 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
GPS: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Miles Typed: 1099

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2011, 10:04:33 pm »

Kraft. They make a bitchin Peanut butter.

Relatively few riders are lucky enough to discover that there is a lot more to a lifetime of motorcycling enjoyment than just going fast. Those who do... become "motorcyclists".  The re
just roy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 10 multistrada 1200S, 09 hypermotard 1100S, 08 TE610, 08 FJR1300, 05 CBR 1000RR,750 nighthawk, xr400 street legal
GPS: Central Square, NY
Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

says it all!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 09:51:28 am »

Multistrada. need i say more? ride it if you have a spare 20k. i dare you.
eng943

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: r1200rt
Miles Typed: 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2011, 04:16:43 pm »

BMW, no question about it. They've been on a roll the last couple of years starting with the K13's, then the revised DOHC Boxer, the S1000RR, and now their inline 6's.
Kyle401

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '07 XB12X
GPS: SW MO
Miles Typed: 205

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2011, 04:46:30 pm »

First vote for KTM...  They are a relatively new player in the streetbike market and I like what they are doing.  Triumph was second on my list.
motodoc43

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 81 convert, 02 Lemans, 09 cali vintage, 09 900LT,09 Voyager
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2011, 12:33:23 pm »

Japanese brands- lets see, anyone can build a concours or an ST 1300 or an FJR 1300- oh yeah, they all do, build the same bike. Honest answer, I own 2 Kawis. The Jap bikes do what they are designed to do better than any other, with a great deal more economy and a great deal more reliability, with a great deal more dealer and service support.
Can I say OMG Boring!! They feel like a very fast sewing machine, or a 70's caddy, or, well just no personality.
However, if functionality and practicality are yours, then there is NO other reasonable choice.
The adventure bikes ( those really really ugly ones) just not my personal taste.
So, were into the European sport tourers.
Duc doesn't make one. They are also pretty unreliable.
The new BMW 1600's- dang, they made a better Jap bike than the Japanese.
Triumph, honest answer, for a combination of can do and soul, it be right up there among the top two.
Aprilla- doesn't make one.
(please note, the duc and aprilla make adventure bikes and I cannot count them sport tourers because they are just too ugly to be considered motorcycles, which are of course first and foremost, works of art. Secondly, the do not make a sport bike with all day ergos and luggage).
motodoc43

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 81 convert, 02 Lemans, 09 cali vintage, 09 900LT,09 Voyager
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2011, 12:35:41 pm »

Well, that just leaves the old boxer beemers and the Moto Guzzi.
I am coming really close to putting Triumph in this box too to be honest.
For me, Guzzi. (I own 3) Just more visceral apeal and soul than any other ever.
Bama67

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2011 Ninja 1000
GPS: South Alabama
Miles Typed: 109

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 11:51:12 am »

I agree with several others, right now it has to KAWASAKI.

The most complete line-up, and all of the bikes are good, and alot are class favorites.
C-14, Versys, ZX10R, KLR650, Ninja 1000, ER6n, Z1000, ZX-14, etc. even their baggers are nice (if you're into that kinda thing)  Lol

My new Ninja 1000 is easily my most favorite bike I have owned, and for the price point it can't be beat. I understand why it won MOTY.

Although I still have a raging hard-on for Guzzis and would kill to have a Griso 8V SE.  Twofinger

2011 Ninja 1000  <------AWW YEAHHHHHHH!!!
Bandit 1250 (sold) Sad
Alien VFR
You can't prove it won't happen...

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2003 Honda RC46
GPS: Scranton, Pa
Miles Typed: 187

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2013, 08:46:43 pm »

Um, BUELLer...BUELLer... BUELLer...

2003 Honda RC46
2002 Honda Accord EX
alekkas

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Back to a Connie
GPS: Far West Chi burbs / rural
Miles Typed: 271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2013, 10:33:52 pm »

I too think it is Kaw.  I think they have a bike for any mission.  All their bikes seem to be best or near best price in the market place - especially real world prices on used and left overs.  I don't care if the fit and finish is B.  I care about fun bikes that have longevity.

And, maybe most importantly, their bikes are raucous and fun.  I guess Triumph may be more so, but Kaws are priced to where I can dream about owning one.  That 650 motor in the versys and ninja, the 1043 or whatever in the Z and Ninja are just fun and pretty badass for what they are.  That 14 is well placed and tuned for both those models.  

Honda is doing great things too, but I am clearly not their demographic other than low price point.  I drive a sensible car - don't need a sensible bike.

Some ride reports:  http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2013, 11:26:15 pm »

Honda and Kawasaki are in a tie for me.  Kawasaki makes the best bikes for me (ergonomically) though I really wish they hadn't dropped the Ninja 250 (yeah, I know they still have the 300, but I prefer the old standard look to the new sportbike look...though I totally get why they did it).

Honda, on the other hand, is impressing me more and more with their recent additions of small and mid-level bikes.  If I had to buy a new bike tomorrow (bummer!), I'd be looking very very very closely at the CBR500R.  

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
wotblake

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2013, 06:29:25 pm »

I think Honda tends to make some boring bikes but I'm very impressed with their recent additions. They've had a few "I can't believe they are producing this" bikes recently.

Grom
NC700X
F6B
Etc.

They are quickly becoming the manufacturer with the most diverse lineup.
kingrex

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: r1200r, zrx1200r, cb919, hd roadking
GPS: Pensacola, Fl
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2014, 04:48:38 pm »

I have to go with bmw because I purchased it last August (2013 model). My other bikes are no less than 9 years old. The bmw is my first boxer and first bmw. Always wanted to try one. The ergonomics are excellent, the ride is well controlled, and it has plenty of power (going and stopping). So far it has been a fine experience. The dealership experience was and continues to be very good. I'm just waiting for my first fuel strip to fail. May change my impression and I'll have to post all over again.

"It's good to be king"
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal