Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2011 GSX1250FA coming to America  (Read 43667 times)

scottzilla

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8809

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2010, 03:39:49 pm »

Is this new Suzuki SCRAD?  If it's SCRAD, it will sell like hot cakes.  Suzuki people love SCRAD.

(Inspired by every other Craigslist ad of some punks selling a GSXR...er, SCRAD). Smile

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5107

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2010, 05:37:15 pm »

How many in here REALLY believe the GSX1250F is going to sell well at all?
How many think any ST bike will sell well??

I think sport-touring has a broad spectrum and has room for more.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2010, 06:01:42 pm »

I think it looks better than the ST1300 or the FJR or the Concours 14

Not even close.

I think the new ST Zook with the bags is very utilitarian looking, but I kinda like it.

halloween over.
Advertisement

Baz

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9018

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2010, 03:26:45 am »

They have had this very Bandit available here since the introduction of the 3rd gen.

It was simply an add on from the Suzuki parts catalogue. (now an actual model) Not cheap of course. You see the odd one at a dealer here every once in a while, but they are not a big seller.

All the plastic is made by a 3rd party. Luggage by Givi, the fairing by someone else. (I once knew this  Headscratch) You can buy all the pieces separately if you google.

Most of the luggage is in the Suzuki CA parts catalogue. (Scroll to the "luggage" tab

http://moto.suzuki.ca/Product%20Lines/cycles/Products/Bandit%201250S/2009/GSF1250SA/Accessories.aspx?Style=
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:39:43 am by Baz » Logged
Siah

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1996 Suzuki Katana 600, 2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
GPS: TX
Miles Typed: 106

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2010, 08:37:48 am »

They have had this very Bandit available here since the introduction of the 3rd gen.

It was simply an add on from the Suzuki parts catalogue. (now an actual model) Not cheap of course. You see the odd one at a dealer here every once in a while, but they are not a big seller.

All the plastic is made by a 3rd party. Luggage by Givi, the fairing by someone else. (I once knew this  Headscratch) You can buy all the pieces separately if you google.

Most of the luggage is in the Suzuki CA parts catalogue. (Scroll to the "luggage" tab

http://moto.suzuki.ca/Product%20Lines/cycles/Products/Bandit%201250S/2009/GSF1250SA/Accessories.aspx?Style=

You're confusing the GSF1250GT with the GSX1250FA
Yeah Suzuki model numbers are confusing. The GSF1250GT is a touring version of the Bandit, with the aftermarket fairing, luggage, etc.
The GSX1250FA has a fairing designed for it (need more proof? Just compare the headlights), ABS standard, etc.  
Here's the bike you're thinking of:
http://www.gizmag.com/suzuki-bandit-1250-grand-touring/8659/
Lon
Mower

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: '10 Concours 14, '08 DL1000, '10 KTM 690 E-R
GPS: Hudson, NH
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2010, 01:36:06 pm »

It's not... again, comparing new stock on current-year models.

To your point...

In 2006, $1 = 116¥
Now, $1 = 82¥

Hey, look, Japanese bike prices are up ~30% since 2006... go figure.

'10 Concours 14 / '10 KTM 690 E-R / '08 DL1000
AMA / ST.N / DoD / RoK
Lon
Mower

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: '10 Concours 14, '08 DL1000, '10 KTM 690 E-R
GPS: Hudson, NH
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2010, 01:47:59 pm »

I think it's going to be a much tougher sell now that the new Kawasaki Ninja 1000 has been introduced.

Z1000 (Ninja 1000 is based on this bike) is a license-destroyer.  God that bike's fun.  I like it more than the S1000RR and the ZX10R, though I'd love it more if it had the BMW's sweet traction control.

'10 Concours 14 / '10 KTM 690 E-R / '08 DL1000
AMA / ST.N / DoD / RoK
doublen675

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Idaho
Miles Typed: 152

My Photo Gallery

"I am the Stig"

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2010, 01:47:38 pm »

I like it, a reasonably priced alternative to the FJR and ST.  Chain drive too, so easy sprocket changes if you want.   Bigok

Baz

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2010, 03:32:11 am »

You're confusing the GSF1250GT with the GSX1250FA
Yeah Suzuki model numbers are confusing. The GSF1250GT is a touring version of the Bandit, with the aftermarket fairing, luggage, etc.
The GSX1250FA has a fairing designed for it (need more proof? Just compare the headlights), ABS standard, etc.  
Here's the bike you're thinking of:
http://www.gizmag.com/suzuki-bandit-1250-grand-touring/8659/

You are correct  Bigok
Yamadavidson

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: GSF 1250
Miles Typed: 36

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2010, 01:03:41 pm »

If you want a sport-tourer without all the overpriced bells and whistles you really only have a few choices, the new Triumph GT and the Suzuki. The Busa's and ZX14s really aren't in the same class comfort wise without lots of mods and the motor of the 1250 makes it a really great ride. I can do without shaft drive(my car has it Lol) the quality of today's chains makes it a non issue for me and if I decide to change gearing its a snap.  It seems  the average age of riders is getting higher so I think the sport touring and adventure touring markets will expand in the US so this is a good  move by Suzuki.
ANTBROWN

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV1000S
GPS: Calgary, Alberta
Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2010, 02:12:44 pm »

Does anybody know how I can find out what the alternator output is for the GSX1250? I can't find it posted anywhere.
knolltop314

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '08 GSX650F
GPS: NW of St Louis
Miles Typed: 1015

My Photo Gallery

So, what's the problem?

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2010, 10:03:58 pm »

fwiw ... '08 GSX650F makes approx 400 watts and oem electricals use about 230.

+-+-Michael-+-+
sprint_st
Let the Wookie Win

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: SC Upstate
Miles Typed: 2630

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2010, 11:23:15 am »

"How many in here REALLY believe the GSX1250F is going to sell well at all?

They couldn't give away enough Bandit 1250's when it was less than $10k!  This ST "Bandit" will be competing head to head against the likes of the C14, VFR1200, Hayabusa, Triumph Sprint GT, ZX14, etc.  Most people in this price range will go for the sleeker, faster, machines.  Those leaning towards sleek will get the Hayabusa/ZX14.  Those leaning towards comfort will get the C14/FJR/VFR1200.  That leaves the GSX1250F and the Z1000S languishing in the showrooms of America.  

Motorcycles in this class don't sell if they don't look right.  That Suzuki already looks dated.  Sorry but look at sales history of similar bikes in the US.  They all failed."
IMO, the GSX1250F isn't going to do all that well and neither is the Sprint GT.  Like said above, guys into comfort ST will go ST1x00/C14/FJR/various BMW's.  guys who go sport ST will go ZX14, Tiger, Sprint ST, whatever and strap stuff on.  Guys who are totally frugal (read cheap) will go with something basic and strap stuff on.  A point that could be made is that just because it does or does not sell well doesn't make it an excellent bike.  

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE!
ANTBROWN

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV1000S
GPS: Calgary, Alberta
Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2010, 03:40:38 pm »

Well just so you know sprint_st, the GSX1250 was the number one selling sport touring bike in England this summer. In tough times cheap and good enough make a compelling alternative. Read some of the Bandit forums and you'll see there are plenty of owners already in the States who are very much enjoying their 'cheap' Bandits. I've been searching the net for several months now looking for reviews of the GSX/Bandit 1250 and I've yet to find one that that is negative.
For those of you who think the GSX is underpowered, Sport Bike magazine shows on their performance pages that the Bandit 1250 has better 60-80mph and 80-100mph roll-ons than the C14 or the FJR. Sure after 100 the other two will out perform the GSX but really how much time do most people spend above 100 anyhow. I test rode one at a Suzuki demo days this summer and that is one sweet motor. Smooth and lots of bottom end and midrange grunt. Right where you need it for touring. The GSX is more nimble than either of the other two to boot. Don't get me started on the ST.
Yes it's not perfect but for a budget bike it seems to perform very well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:29:31 pm by ANTBROWN » Logged
Baz

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 11:14:04 pm »

Well just so you know sprint_st, the GSX1250 was the number one selling sport touring bike in England this summer. In tough times cheap and good enough make a compelling alternative. Read some of the Bandit forums and you'll see there are plenty of owners already in the States who are very much enjoying their 'cheap' Bandits. I've been searching the net for several months now looking for reviews of the GSX/Bandit 1250 and I've yet to find one that that is negative.
For those of you who think the GSX is underpowered, Sport Bike magazine shows on their performance pages that the Bandit 1250 has better 60-80mph and 80-100mph roll-ons than the C14 or the FJR. Sure after 100 the other two will out perform the GSX but really how much time do most people spend above 100 anyhow. I test rode one at a Suzuki demo days this summer and that is one sweet motor. Smooth and lots of bottom end and midrange grunt. Right where you need it for touring. The GSX is more nimble than either of the other two to boot. Don't get me started on the ST.
Yes it's not perfect but for a budget bike it seems to perform very well.

I went from a 2nd gen Bandit to a FJR and can tell you that while the power band is different, I think the two would be a very close quarter mile run. In fact I believe the last time MC mag did quarter mile tests, there was only a .15 sec difference between the two.

I am pretty sure you will see the floor price drop somewhat when the Bandit hits the showrooms.

My 2nd gen Bandit was an OK tourer, the 3rd gen would even be better. I have to say though that the Bandit would not come close to the touring abilities of the FJR. With the right price point, it may sell ok, but I don't think it would be a best seller here.

schmedly

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250 S
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250 S

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2010, 10:32:19 pm »

I went from a 2nd gen Bandit to a FJR and can tell you that while the power band is different, I think the two would be a very close quarter mile run. In fact I believe the last time MC mag did quarter mile tests, there was only a .15 sec difference between the two.

I have a 2009 Bandit 1250 S set up with a lower fairing, luggage, madstad windshield and all the comforts - and I can whip my buddy's FJR off the line every time, but then again he is a big pussy.  I wish I had ABS, but the bike stops well so I don;t really need it so long as I stay out of the bad weather.

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18512

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2010, 06:13:52 am »

I have a 2009 Bandit 1250 S set up with a lower fairing, luggage, madstad windshield and all the comforts - and I can whip my buddy's FJR off the line every time, but then again he is a big pussy.  I wish I had ABS, but the bike stops well so I don;t really need it so long as I stay out of the bad weather.
What do you have for a seat?

Sig lines used to be fun.
schmedly

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250 S
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250 S

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2010, 10:54:28 am »

What do you have for a seat?

I took the stock seat and reworked it.  I took it apart and cut about 1 inch off the foam, angled back to give the seat less forward pitch.  To enhance this for the passenger I created a semi-rigid foam wedge to sit the passenger up even more - not quite leaning back but nice and flat with no forward lean.  Rider still leans forward a little.  Then I added memory foam to both and made them plushy and soft.  I had to long distance ride and rework both seats about five times to get all the sore points out and get the lean just right.  Now I can go all day and not get sore, passenger reports good comfort too.

Here is a list of all the things I did to it to get it the way I wanted it:
Genuine Suzuki color matched lower fairing - 464.99
Madstad 20 inch adjustable windshield (mounted on stock windshield) - 189.95
Seat redone with memory foam, optimized for upright touring position for passenger and rider
Givi E45N deatachable side cases - 334.00
Givi side mounting racks - 170.10
Givi E450 detachable top case with & brake light kit and back pad, - 211.50
Givi rear mounting rack - 142.20 (topcase moved back 2 inches so passenger can sit up / back)
SW-MOTECH Gascap Bottom Ring for Quick-Lock Tankbags - 14.40
Bags-Connection "Daypack II" Quick-Lock Tankbag - 79.90
Pilot Fork mounted Halogen accessory driving lights - 20.00 (created mounting brackets myself and saved a bundle)
HealTech Speedo Healer (makes speedometer adjustable to correct for built-in factory 8.5% over-read error and auto records top speed with button recall) - 114.99
GI-Pro gear position indicator with ATRE (automatic timing retard eliminator - eliminates factory setting that lowers torque in first and second gear) - 162.99
Barkbusters Storm Handguards (nice for bugs and on cold days) - 99.99
MFW Vario Extension Arm 50mm with MFW Vario Master Grip Pegs (makes leg room for passenger.) - 90.00
Kaoko Throttle Lock Cruise Control - 125.00
Gen-Mar Handlebar Risers (1" up and 1" back) 145.00
LED lighting kit (two red running in back, two yellow extra signals in back, switched blue under body accents, valve stem covers blue) - 78.00
Also flipped over rider pegs moving them down 1 inch.

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: cbr1100xx & st1100
Miles Typed: 57

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2011, 11:42:48 pm »

This is a sweet looking machine.
It is hard for me to believe the same people make the Hayabusa! The Busa is just fugly next to this one.
Oxblood

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1089

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2011, 12:00:52 am »

I recently acquired a 2010 GSX 1250 SEA (Canadian "touring" model with ABS, side and top cases).  So far I am very pleased with it. I ride it daily as my commuter, and am getting reasonable mileage in stop and go traffic (45 mpg?). The motor is awesome. Buttery smooth, quiet, and the torque kicks in nice and low. No problem accelerating with this bike. HP at the variously rated 98 to 104 (depends on what review you are reading, though Dale Walker at Holeshot has dyno charts showing 104 at the rear wheel on a stock bike) is likely more than most will need.

Someone stated a new seat would be necessary. So far, I have found the stock seat to be quite comfortable. It sure is a lot better than my DL650's stock seat. During my commute, I have a small portion on freeway, and have dialed the bike up to 130kk/h, and the windscreen and fairing do a nice job of managing air. No buffeting that I could detect. Seating position was nice, and I can see this bike being very comfortable on long trips.

If you want to make it power mad, for about 700.00 you can get Holeshot's exhaust, and the Dobeck TFI tuner, remove the secondary butterflies, disable the PAIR and bypass the 02 sensor. Dale's dyno charts show 134hp with these rather inexpensive mods, and all of them can be done by the lay mechanic.

All in all, I think this is a fine bike, and if Suzuki would market it correctly, it would likely sell very well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal