Poll
Question: What's the average MPG (US gal) for the bike you ride most often?
>60 - 16 (3.6%)
55-60 - 7 (1.6%)
50-55 - 49 (10.9%)
45-50 - 114 (25.4%)
40-45 - 147 (32.8%)
35-40 - 90 (20.1%)
30-35 - 18 (4%)
<30 - 7 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 446

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Average MPG  (Read 54080 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
kver
*

Reputation 57
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 189

My Photo Gallery




Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2018, 07:06:21 pm »

Speed kills -- your gas mileage that is.... Lol
I used to get MUCH better mileage riding 2-up.   Riding single, I notice my mileage drops very quickly over 75mph....  
Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement
*


Remove Advertisements

jay547
Junior Member
*

Reputation 259
Offline Offline

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3093

My Photo Gallery





Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2018, 08:13:35 pm »




I have a routine when traveling: 1) bike on centerstand 2) fill to brim


I just realized that I've had my FJ-09 for a little over two years and I've never filled it up on the centerstand.
Logged

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
rajflyboy
Member
*

Reputation 373
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 1860

My Photo Gallery





Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2018, 08:46:23 pm »




I just realized that I've had my FJ-09 for a little over two years and I've never filled it up on the centerstand.


Kinda like airplanes with single point fueling.... many times you can get a little more gas in it if you top the wings
Logged

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
Advertisement



jay547
Junior Member
*

Reputation 259
Offline Offline

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3093

My Photo Gallery





Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2018, 11:38:53 pm »

I can't ride that far without stopping anyway. I usually gas up about every 100-120 miles.
Logged

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
Hueyf4i
*

Reputation 5
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda ST1300A
Miles Typed: 98

My Photo Gallery




Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2018, 07:38:53 pm »

I get around 40 mpg on average with my 04 ST1300. I've gotten over 50mpg before, but that was on some pretty flat stretches of hwy.  My average gives me around 300 miles per tank, but I generally gas up around 260. 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Logged
Oilhed
MarkF
*

Reputation 22
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery


MarkF




Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2018, 09:50:53 am »

the irony is in recent memory I get the best mileage from my biggest, heaviest, largest displacement motorcycle...wtf!
Logged

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Hueyf4i
*

Reputation 5
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda ST1300A
Miles Typed: 98

My Photo Gallery




Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2018, 03:33:25 pm »

the irony is in recent memory I get the best mileage from my biggest, heaviest, largest displacement motorcycle...wtf!
My 94 CBR 600F2 had a curb weight of 470lbs, but would consistently get 50mpg regardless of my riding style.  My 04 600F4i would get a max of 40mpg even though it was 50lbs lighter and fuel injected. . .  And 40 was only at consistent low speed riding. . .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Logged
Blue is Best
Light is right
*

Reputation 252
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2406

My Photo Gallery


Blue motorcycles are fastest




Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2018, 10:04:46 am »

Oil- That's because they are cruising at a lower RPM, their torque and light throttle operation are more efficient than a buzz bomb cruising at 6,000 RPMs
or more.

Huey- I've always wanted to start a thread on your very comments. Why did my 680lb, loaded FJR, spinning at more RPM get WAY better MPG than my 100lb lighter ZX14 spinning at lower RPMS?
Logged

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit
Blue is Best
Light is right
*

Reputation 252
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2406

My Photo Gallery


Blue motorcycles are fastest




Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2019, 10:24:13 am »

Got back last week from a two day trip to visit my buddy up in beautiful Colorado. I took my 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250. I've been posting in other places about its incredible gas mileage. Check out this picture. Cruising at 3,600 rpms at 68 mph(1 tooth up on front sprocket) you can see on the gauge 176.6 miles and still two bars(five gallon tank) on gas gauge without being on reserve. I got 56 MPG!!!!!!! that tank!!!!!!!!!!
Logged

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit
Daughthe
*

Reputation 8
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: BMW S1000XR
Miles Typed: 25

My Photo Gallery




Ignore
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2019, 07:12:10 am »

45
Logged
caddydaddy
*

Reputation 14
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: 2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
GPS: Harlingen, Texas USA
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery





Ignore
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2019, 06:09:48 pm »

My Triumph Rocket III Roadster has been averaging just over 33 MPG. I am not easy on the throttle!   Bigsmile
Logged

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Blue is Best
Light is right
*

Reputation 252
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2406

My Photo Gallery


Blue motorcycles are fastest




Ignore
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2019, 06:28:46 pm »


My Triumph Rocket III Roadster has been averaging just over 33 MPG. I am not easy on the throttle!   Bigsmile


My buddy has a Rocket III and gets lousy gas mileage whether he is going slow or fast.      
Logged

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit
Blue is Best
Light is right
*

Reputation 252
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2406

My Photo Gallery


Blue motorcycles are fastest




Ignore
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2019, 11:02:19 pm »

Filled up in Creede, CO and made it home to Rio Rancho, NM on one tank, 292 miles. This picture shows the instrument panel at 270.5 miles and NOT ON RESERVE yet!! 54.5 mpg!!


My 2012 FJR 1300
Logged

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit
Bounce
FJR1300
*

Reputation 92
Offline Offline

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1317

My Photo Gallery



WWW

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2019, 08:48:55 am »

The 96 GMC with the 350cc got 13 at best.
The 98se Wing got 32 on it's best day and 19 on at least one tank.
The 2003 FJR gets 40+ depending on conditions.
The 2008STi got 26 if I put it in cruise at 55mph on the highway for long stretches.
The 2017 RS3 gets 26 without babying but can go as low as 15 in hunker-down mode while hauling the mail and as high as 36 if I watch the Ps and Qs.

But if I wanted MPG I'd not have owned any of the above.
Logged

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Blue is Best
Light is right
*

Reputation 252
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2406

My Photo Gallery


Blue motorcycles are fastest




Ignore
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2019, 09:32:10 am »


The 96 GMC with the 350cc got 13 at best.
The 98se Wing got 32 on it's best day and 19 on at least one tank.
The 2003 FJR gets 40+ depending on conditions.
The 2008STi got 26 if I put it in cruise at 55mph on the highway for long stretches.
The 2017 RS3 gets 26 without babying but can go as low as 15 in hunker-down mode while hauling the mail and as high as 36 if I watch the Ps and Qs.

But if I wanted MPG I'd not have owned any of the above.


    On a couple of your vehicles I can understand the poor mpg. But the others? WOW, your driver's license history must read like a book.

For 90% of my miles I ride like the motorcycle is transportation. And the great mpg is a trophy for me. The other 10%? Not so much.    Bigsmile
Logged

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit
Bounce
FJR1300
*

Reputation 92
Offline Offline

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1317

My Photo Gallery



WWW

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2019, 05:27:21 pm »




    On a couple of your vehicles I can understand the poor mpg. But the others? WOW, your driver's license history must read like a book.

For 90% of my miles I ride like the motorcycle is transportation. And the great mpg is a trophy for me. The other 10%? Not so much.    Bigsmile


Not so much.
The GMC was 13mpg city or highway regardless of how I drove it.

The 98se was dual carb and designed when national limits were 55. Break 65 and you were into 32mpg. Ride in the western US and it was MUCH lower.

The FJR can get above 42mpg if I poke along but why get anything other than a Whizzer if that was the case?

The 2008STi was tuned to get nearly 300hp and more than 300tqs at the AWD wheels and, again, if I wanted to drive like I was in a Prius, I'd have bought one of those.

The RS3 throws tech at 400Hp to get better mpg than the STi even when driving at highway speeds with the flow of traffic. Crank it over into "Dynamic" mode and that can go down to about 15mpg based on your throttle use.

We all know you trade fuel+air for power. More power = more fuel consumed.

My driving history is pretty good. Have had few tickets and the last was in 98 when I was testing the steel belted radials that came out for the bike (designed for bias ply). Some were claiming they were unstable at speed and we speculated that those people weren't checking the PSI often enough or overloading the bike. After proving that it wasn't the properly-adjusted tires, I was on my way back down from max top end (BFE) when I passed a trooper doing about 90 in a 70.. Oh well. Could have been worse. Deferred adjudication.


https://m.glenmoreaudi.com/en/news/view/an-in-depth-look-at-audis-drive-select-system/33736
Logged

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Blue is Best
Light is right
*

Reputation 252
Offline Offline

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2406

My Photo Gallery


Blue motorcycles are fastest




Ignore
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2019, 05:34:09 pm »

I stand corrected, Sir.                  Hail
Logged

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit
jay547
Junior Member
*

Reputation 259
Offline Offline

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3093

My Photo Gallery





Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2019, 09:04:52 pm »

My last four bikes have all been right around 45mpg. Two singles, one triple, and one in-line four.
Logged

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
02Tac
just plugging along
*

Reputation 51
Offline Offline

Miles Typed: 3352

My Photo Gallery





Ignore
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2019, 04:48:28 pm »




Kinda like airplanes with single point fueling.... many times you can get a little more gas in it if you top the wings


NO ONE want to do that! The real fun (over wing) is the stuff where you have to go back and forth between the wings due to balance/load limits.  Crazy
Logged

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
02Tac
just plugging along
*

Reputation 51
Offline Offline

Miles Typed: 3352

My Photo Gallery





Ignore
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2019, 04:53:47 pm »


For 90% of my miles I ride like the motorcycle is transportation. And the great mpg is a trophy for me. The other 10%? Not so much.    Bigsmile


Same here. Was hammering (relatively speaking) the KLX the last tank and only got 57mpg.  Lol
Logged

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  



ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

 
SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal