Poll
Question: What are the most overlooked and underrated bikes owned / used by STN Members? (PICK 3)
Aprilia Caponord - 27 (3.5%)
BMW K1100RS - 25 (3.3%)
Ducati ST3/4 - 76 (9.9%)
Honda NT700V - 47 (6.1%)
Honda ST1300 - 63 (8.2%)
KTM SM-T - 26 (3.4%)
Kawasaki Versys - 83 (10.8%)
Kawasaki ZZR1200 - 58 (7.6%)
Kawasaki GPZ1100 - 23 (3%)
Moto Guzzi Norge - 90 (11.7%)
Suzuki GS500F - 31 (4%)
Triumph Sprint RS - 65 (8.5%)
Yamaha FZ6R - 42 (5.5%)
Buell Ulysses - 56 (7.3%)
Other:  Write In Vote - 56 (7.3%)
Total Voters: 344

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Most Overlooked and Underrated Touring Motorcycles (PICK 3)  (Read 46901 times)

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:21:25 pm »

I would like to follow up this poll with another poll discussing the most overrated bikes.  But, I'm the kind of person who likes to save the best for last.   Bigsmile

The list above represents older and late model sport(y) touring models which don't seem to be discussed a whole heck of a lot on STN or I see very few owners of these bikes.  I believe we overlook some great machines and the more popular ones dominate most of the discussion.  

Now it's time to vote and talk amongst yourselves.  PICK UP TO 3!!!!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:38:39 pm by R Doug » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:29:00 pm »

For me, I voted for these three:

Ducati ST3/4 - quintessential sport-touring bike.  Nobody has done it better.  It's a shame Ducati doesn't make another one today.

KTM SM-T   -   Seems to be a lot of discussion and focus over the past few years about the Tiger and the new Multi.  I believe the SM-T is the perfect compromise between the two.

Triumph Sprint RS - partially naked triple with good ergos which can be had at a very reasonable price today.  I'm surprised more people aren't buying used RS's.  But then again, maybe the owners aren't selling.   Lol

Honorable Mentions:  Versys and Uly

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:54:12 pm by R Doug » Logged
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:07:10 am »

Sprint RS - overlooked, under-rated, and now amazingly affordable.  One of my local dealers has one for $3500.

I voted KTM SMT as well, because there are so few owners.  But now I'm thinking maybe that is partially KTM's fault for getting rid of so many of their streetbike dealers.

Advertisement

scottzilla

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8809

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:21:44 am »

Speed Triple.  The ratio of people who think it's a way cool bike and would like to own one to those who actually do is skewed.

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:46:41 am »

I used to own a Sprint RS. Aside from the cheap suspension (easily fixed for $1000 - $1200) it was a fine bike. I bought it dirt cheap as a new/leftover with a big Triumph incentive on top. But it was basically a Sprint ST minus some plastic and the 955i Sprints get plenty of love here.

There are two KTM 990 SMTs collecting dust at my local dealer. Weird. I guess KTM has failed at grabbing mindshare for some of their bikes. The Adventure and SuperDuke are well-known, but the SM/SMR/SMT and RC8 don't seem to be on the regular Joe's radar screen.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
nater

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:14:40 am »

I used to own a Sprint RS. Aside from the cheap suspension (easily fixed for $1000 - $1200) it was a fine bike. I bought it dirt cheap as a new/leftover with a big Triumph incentive on top. But it was basically a Sprint ST minus some plastic and the 955i Sprints get plenty of love here.

There are two KTM 990 SMTs collecting dust at my local dealer. Weird. I guess KTM has failed at grabbing mindshare for some of their bikes. The Adventure and SuperDuke are well-known, but the SM/SMR/SMT and RC8 don't seem to be on the regular Joe's radar screen.

I think that part of the reason is that the RC8 is priced up there with the Ducatis and Aprillias.

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
sprint_st
Let the Wookie Win

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: SC Upstate
Miles Typed: 2630

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:38:20 am »

Triumph Sprint ST -  955i
I owned both an ST and RS and would say both were underrated.  Other than the SSSA and DSSA they were the same bike except for tupperware (frames were very slightly different).  At the same time VFR's were the best on the planet, MC ragsters were saying poor suspension, or some other lackluster comments.  New springs on my Sprint for $250 and could run off and hide from VFR's --- the triple was awesome.    The 1050's aren't bad either.

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE!
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 05:01:04 pm »

Triumph Sprint ST -  955i
I owned both an ST and RS and would say both were underrated.  Other than the SSSA and DSSA they were the same bike except for tupperware (frames were very slightly different).  At the same time VFR's were the best on the planet, MC ragsters were saying poor suspension, or some other lackluster comments.  New springs on my Sprint for $250 and could run off and hide from VFR's --- the triple was awesome.    The 1050's aren't bad either.

Yep, I had no issue with the showa suspenders on my VFR and have felt the Sprint "wobble" mid corner on an older 955 triple.  That said, I hated VTEC and loved the triple motor.  It's a lot easier to upgrade the suspension on the Sprint than improve the motor on the VFR.
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 ZX-9 modded & '86 V65 Magna original
GPS: 5000 rounds and a dozen claymores down a dirt road, SC
Miles Typed: 561

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 05:47:07 pm »

Almost as comfortable as my old VFR (95) with just slightly lower clip ons, seat to pegs and reach to the bars is almost the same. Loads more power and a lot less weight. SPORT-tourer is the game.

Honorable mention: Daytona 955

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
Man f-in card.  F.     AAAARRRR!"
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 06:21:45 pm »

Sprint RS - overlooked, under-rated, and now amazingly affordable.  One of my local dealers has one for $3500.

I voted KTM SMT as well, because there are so few owners.  But now I'm thinking maybe that is partially KTM's fault for getting rid of so many of their streetbike dealers.

KTM's fault

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
2WheelPilot

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 02 ZZR1200, 77 KZ650C
GPS: Harvest, AL
Miles Typed: 132

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 06:28:08 pm »

ZZR1200, of course.  It was never the fastest.  Nor the best handling.  Nor the prettiest.  But it does everything pretty well.  I keep looking for something sporty, reasonably quick, and well suited for 2-up.  Everything else comes up short in some category.  Usually 2-up capability.  Smaller & smaller is the trend these days.  At 4 or 5 times the cost, a C14 would probably be better, but not 4 or 5 times better.  Big ZZR's are so cheap now that if I trash mine, I can replace it for the cost of a couple of insurance payments on something new.
J-Mac

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: C-14 and ZX14R
GPS: KC MO
Miles Typed: 391

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 06:52:37 pm »

ZZR1200, of course.  It was never the fastest.  Nor the best handling.  Nor the prettiest.  But it does everything pretty well.  I keep looking for something sporty, reasonably quick, and well suited for 2-up.  Everything else comes up short in some category.  Usually 2-up capability.  Smaller & smaller is the trend these days.  At 4 or 5 times the cost, a C14 would probably be better, but not 4 or 5 times better.  Big ZZR's are so cheap now that if I trash mine, I can replace it for the cost of a couple of insurance payments on something new.

I voted for the bike as well. It's a wolf in sheeps clothing, and a sheep in wolf's clothing. That bike can do it all. Cool

If you disagree, you've never ridden one. Wink

BTW, to get the ball rollin', the Hyapusy is the most overrated bike by far. Bigsmile
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 12:14:58 am »

There are two KTM 990 SMTs collecting dust at my local dealer. Weird. I guess KTM has failed at grabbing mindshare for some of their bikes.

I think "The Long Way Round" might play a factor.

I suspect many new riders who want to be taken seriously as a RTW rider only has eyes for BMWs.

Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 12:21:49 am »

Almost as comfortable as my old VFR (95) with just slightly lower clip ons, seat to pegs and reach to the bars is almost the same. Loads more power and a lot less weight. SPORT-tourer is the game.

Honorable mention: Daytona 955

That there ZX-9 was definitely underrated as a usable tool for covering long distances with comfortable speed and style.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
ZED

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: '05 Kawi KLR 685 street tard, '07 Ducati ST3s, '13 CRF250R Supermotard, '15 yz25fx
GPS: Calgary, AB, CA
Miles Typed: 1645

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 11:01:28 am »

I think the Ducati ST3 and ST4 are very overlooked.  I feel my ST3s is the pinnacle of the SPORT-touring world.  You don't here about many or see many but they have all day comfort, power, and weather protection.  I still can't think of another bike I would replace mine with.

I also voted for the 'other' category because I think the 'run watchya brung' bikes are often overlooked. Just about anything can be used.  A person doesn't need a bike that was categorized as a Sport-Tourer.  Most any sport bike or naked can be made to work.  I did about 12K of touring on my Z1000 before getting the Ducati.  I recently bumped into a guy on a Z1000 that had done over 50K touring on it.  Just shows that it's all about how fussy we get.

Life is a highway...or a dirt road!
Tread Lightly. Dirt bike with street tires!
http://www.rockymountainmotards.com
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 11:08:26 am »

Versys, people have the brain washing that it has to be big in displacement to be good. Rolleyes
Second the Sprint RS the half faired Sprint was the shizzle.
Third Speed Triple to 2005, hell ,I tour on mine

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 11:12:48 am »

The rumor of leaking water pumps, bad fuel pumps being all too common, has turned me off. The need to fix that shit before I'd buy one. Yeah the engine/ suspension rocks , but I need frigging turn key , it don't break for that kind of money,even discounted.And too few dealers to be comfortable on a big road trip for me. Everyone I know who has a KTM did the fuel pump at least once and I know 3 with shit water pumps. Sorry unacceptable for a bike of that caliber
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:14:38 am by maddjack » Logged

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 03:57:21 pm »

ST3 - I just sold mine and already miss it.  There is no replacement on the market, though the Ninja 1000 sounds promising (but it's an inline 4 Sad  )

Moto Guzzi Norge - I will be test riding one next season.  Beautiful shape, nice features, and plenty of deals can be had on them.  Not as comfortable or fast as a BMW RT, but like all other Guzzi models, there's just something that makes you want it.

Suzuki GS500F - this is kind of my wildcard pick.  It's not designed for either sport or touring; however it tours at a pretty low weight and (with modifications) can carry a good amount of luggage.  It's also a very economical and reliable choice, and there are a few members on this board who sport-tour with theirs, and I've been really impressed with their setups.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 12:15:13 am »

Moto Guzzi Norge - I will be test riding one next season.  Beautiful shape, nice features, and plenty of deals can be had on them.  Not as comfortable or fast as a BMW RT, but like all other Guzzi models, there's just something that makes you want it.

Top speed isn't a good measuring stick in my book  Smile

riding "The Pace" is all about riding a big 'ol wave of torque thru the twisties.

and at that, both the boxer twin and the V-twin excel. The engine characteristics and sound keeping you engaged and entertained from one curve to the next  Inlove

On a similar stretch of road, an inline four would be lulling you to sleep  Sleepy

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 10:45:43 am »

Top speed isn't a good measuring stick in my book  Smile

riding "The Pace" is all about riding a big 'ol wave of torque thru the twisties.

That's exactly what I look for in bikes.  But, I still want something that's a little racy too.  that's why the Uly never did it for me.  That bike hits the torque criteria well, but there's something about a Guzzi or Duc motor that gives you a little quicker revs.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal