Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: MTS1200 - How do you like it now?  (Read 42260 times)

[email protected]

Reputation 71

Miles Typed: 1508

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 09:48:08 pm »

I agree. I always use the rear brake in conjunction with the front every time I slow or stop. Was taught that way in M/C class as the proper way and I'm not one to change habits if they're working.

Yes, should always use some rear brake in conjunction with the fronts for maximum braking power.  Thumbsup

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7538

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 12:34:12 am »

Yes, should always use some rear brake in conjunction with the fronts for maximum braking power.  Thumbsup

Um if you can use your rear brake on this bike you aren't using the front enough.
[email protected]

Reputation 71

Miles Typed: 1508

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 06:32:21 pm »

Um if you can use your rear brake on this bike you aren't using the front enough.

They put rear brakes on a bike for a reason.  Wink  I can stop shorter and under better control by also using the rear brake with the fronts.  You just have to know how to combine them for each situation at hand to get the maximum braking performance out of the bike.

I wouldn't want a rear brake that is shit ... someday it will be needed and could result in a bad situation if not working properly.

Advertisement

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 11:15:15 pm »

They put rear brakes on a bike for a reason.  Wink  I can stop shorter and under better control by also using the rear brake with the fronts.  You just have to know how to combine them for each situation at hand to get the maximum braking performance out of the bike.

I wouldn't want a rear brake that is shit ... someday it will be needed and could result in a bad situation if not working properly.

Backup.  That's all why it is there...backup.   Bigsmile
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 09:42:21 am »

Anyone get the 15k service w/valve check or adjust done already, or have some hearsay about it?  Cost and/or labor hours involved?  Any other maintenance/service cost comments?

This month's Cycle World has like half-a-dozen MTS1200 one-page ads in near succession.  I guess it worked cause it made me think about it.  
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 03:53:32 pm »

Anyone get the 15k service w/valve check or adjust done already, or have some hearsay about it?  Cost and/or labor hours involved?  Any other maintenance/service cost comments?

This month's Cycle World has like half-a-dozen MTS1200 one-page ads in near succession.  I guess it worked cause it made me think about it.  

Its going to be the same as the 1198's 15k service.  Belts and valves are the big hitters.  I figure it'll be $1200ish when I get there.
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 05:43:57 pm »

Whaaaaaaaaaaat.

Belts/valves on my ST3 was around $700...
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2010, 09:21:24 pm »

Whaaaaaaaaaaat.

Belts/valves on my ST3 was around $700...

Was that for your full 15k mile service?
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 02:07:24 pm »

That was for a 6k service plus belts.  Valve adjustments on my model were set to 6k intervals.
Blondebaerde

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1999 CRB1100XX
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 04:05:31 pm »

Mr. Busa, that is a timely mention of the rear brake going-bad thing.  Happened to me, too.  Didn't know it affected others, until this thread.

I forgot to mention this as a potentially-serious problem, since I hadn't really used the rear brake until navigating some treacherous downhill at Hoover Dam a couple months ago:  I went looking for rear brake, there wasn't any.  The world didn't end, but I was surprised and dismayed.  I don't want to get into the "which brakes to use," (front/rear combo and modulation) discussion, other than to agree that "when I need rear brake, it (cough) should function!"

Thought I'd let the dealer iron it out at the 7,500 mile service, probably in the spring.  I have no idea where this came from, and all appears externally well on the system.  Bummer, though.

Based on other's comments, and my prior experience, they probably went away on the trip I mentioned up-thread (2,500 miles in three days, American SW States, fall 2010), since I ran the bike for hours on end in 100+ degree temps.  Strange the rear brake never came back, though.  Back in the day (Y2K), the clutch went bad on my Aprilia Mille for potentially similar reasons (boiled fluid), on very long rides or even long track days.  Solution for the Aprilia was an aftermarket slave cylinder.  For the Duck, well, we'll see since it's under warranty.  And, assuming that is the problem.

(Or I could just bleed the system myself, call it good, and move on.  I'm more into solving issues than curing symptoms, however).

Sounds like fodder for a service recall to me  Sad
UFO

Reputation 226

Motorcycles: 2018 Kawi H2SX SE
GPS: WA State
Miles Typed: 13215

My Photo Gallery

Retired-Ex-Skipper-Guy

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2010, 10:08:14 pm »

Not too happy today....as posted on ducati.ms. Rolleyes

----------------------------

Went out to take a quick Christmas day spin since it's not raining and the roads are relatively dry.

Started fine. Warmed up fine. Turn on the heated grips, snick it in to first gear and head up our long driveway. Pull in the clutch at the top of the driveway....bike dies and never comes back.

Push it back down the driveway. Bike won't wake up, red ring just flashes at me in a mocking and taunting manner. Pop off the cover at the front of the tank and try to get the bike to wake up that way. Nothing. Let it sit for awhile, try again. Nothing.

Checked/tested all the fuses (left panel and under seat). Nothing.

Bike just continues to flash at me but will not wake up. Not real happy right now. I'm not having a lot of confidence in taking this bike on any long adventures based on fueling, basically no rear brake, stalling, and bike just deciding to hibernate and never come back.

Keep in mind this bike is well maintained, lives in a garage under sheets when it's not on the road, and is usually connected to a Battery Tender.

Any ideas?

Neal - 2018 H2 SX SE
Webmaster - http://h2sxriders.net - Ride Fast ... Ride Far
tomek

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 3
GPS: 60527
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2010, 11:02:22 pm »

I don`t want to sound obnoxious but ,,,,,,,,, have you tried to test battery or  connectors  ?

Bikes like yours with sophisticated electronics/electrics don`t tolerate much of the  voltage drop in the system before ECU just cancels the party . Motorcycle when idling is not really charging the battery.

You could have just discharged the battery. (by idling and then switching on the heated grips)

Anyhow,that is where I would start.

Fast bikes save lives

If you are not sliding you are not riding
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 12:13:09 am »

With the red ring just flashing are you sure you weren't playing an Xbox360?

Dude that sucks. Wonder what it is.
Diablo Rojo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2005 R1, 2011 Spyder
GPS: Redneckastan
Miles Typed: 598

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 12:53:14 am »

Have you tried touching the 2 battery cables together.  I have heard this resets the Comp and the bike will wake up once done.

All Who Wander Are Not Lost - Tolkien
UFO

Reputation 226

My Photo Gallery

Retired-Ex-Skipper-Guy

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 01:11:32 am »

Have you tried touching the 2 battery cables together.  I have heard this resets the Comp and the bike will wake up once done.

No go.

And the battery should be fine.  It's always on a tender and the bike fired right up...but I'll officially check the voltage just to be sure.  You'd think the bike should show some sign of life (but may not turn over) even with a low voltage. Headscratch

Check that.  Bike has been back on the tender again for about 6 hours and the bike woke up again when I toggle it up.  There must be some software check that won't wake up the computer unless the battery voltage is above a certain level. Headscratch  Maybe the battery is shitting out on me even tho it's always on a tender.  I think the reason it cut out on me at the top of the driveway was just the cold conditions and the crappy fueling  Rolleyes .  But cut out, battery voltage was low, so computer said "No way, I'm staying asleep."

If true then Ducati should add some code that displays some error in the info display area when you try to fire up the computer with a low voltage.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:24:55 am by UFO » Logged

Neal - 2018 H2 SX SE
tomek

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 3
GPS: 60527
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2010, 12:07:20 pm »

May God have a Mercy on you   Wink , modern bikes ( and cars also ) have rather fragile electronics, you can easily burn some components  ,,,,,,,,,,,

I would check out the battery,specifically how it reacts ( voltage ) to the load without engine running.

Second would be checking the voltage in the system vs rpm.  

Fast bikes save lives

If you are not sliding you are not riding
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2821

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 03:55:40 am »

Bummer, about missing your opportunity for a Christmas day ride...  Sad

No real clue about why the computer would not wake up, but if I had to guess, it was not lack of battery power. Just for reference, I've had mine since late May and it has never seen a battery tender. It usually gets ridden at least once a week, but have gone more than a couple two week stretches with no battery tender and still got it started. A couple times, just barely, and there was a text message in the window telling me the battery was low, but still got it started. Heck, even when the battery is at full charge, it still 'sounds like' there's barely enough juice in it to kick over those big 1200-twin pistons...

Just say'in, if there was enough juice to start the thing, there was certainly enough juice to run the computer after a stall. Though, 'sudden battery failure' is not un-heard of... Best of luck to you for running that one down. At least the problem presented itself in the Winter riding months... Shrug

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2864

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 09:35:32 am »

Not too happy today...

Any ideas?

Yep.  Auction!!!

No help w/ your bike situation but your post made me remember that driveway from the VFR vids.  Then I remembered the rest of your property and the house at the end of that driveway.  

Then I remembered that I hate you.   Razz

Good luck with your bike, though.  

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 01:35:11 pm »

Though, 'sudden battery failure' is not un-heard of...

Ducs' computers need a minimum voltage level for them to run the motor.  If your battery is not putting out enough, your bike is not going anywhere.   That final start could have been the nail in its coffin..
You may have a bum battery, no matter that you kept it on the tender.  I'd replace the battery.  Then claim the old one under the warranty when you see it now runs.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
UFO

Reputation 226

My Photo Gallery

Retired-Ex-Skipper-Guy

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 06:53:13 pm »

Well, bike is being hauled to the shop on Thursday.
------------
Death #2 happened today.

As I said previously the bike seems to wake from it's slumber about 7 hours after the first death. So today I tried again.

Battery voltage before I left (using multimeter) = 13.20 V (bike not running, no tender attached)

Fire up the bike, gear up, leave the house. About 1/8 of a mile down the road the bike just shuts down. No signs of life other than the Red Ring of Mocking.

Push the bike home (first time I've ever had to do this BTW ) and check the battery voltage, 13.18 V.

Battery appears to be fine, and it still doesn't explain why the bike just commits suicide right underneath me.  It's gotta be a sensor, or ECU problem, or some other electrical gremlin.  Thank god for 2 year warranties. Lol Crazy

Neal - 2018 H2 SX SE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal