Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: MTS1200 - How do you like it now?  (Read 43503 times)

Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2012, 08:20:32 pm »

Me?  Yes.  And the ST3.  Smile

I think I know where Falconati is coming from.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

evilted

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Fun ones.
GPS: Atlanta, GA
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2012, 09:51:19 pm »

+1 on the sport tourer ergos & wind protection.

I have an MTS1200 and it's awesome -- the best motorcycle I've owned.  But I only opted to get one in late 2010 after I was reasonable certain that Ducati was not going to be releasing an ST version of a bike wrapped around the same drivetrain & suspension any time soon.  Adventure tourer ergos are fine, and I like the high vantage point in traffic, but some additional forward lean and more wind protection would be nice on the interstate and for touring in the colder months.

That said, I'm told that Ducati promised dealers something like 7 or 8 break-the-mold type of bikes in the next 10 years with the 2007 1098 being the first.  Unless Ducati has another Hypermotard or Diavel type of play up its sleeve, an updated ST might be in the offing.

Me?  Yes.  And the ST3.  Smile

I think I know where Falconati is coming from.
Motozeke

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Miles Typed: 55

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2012, 12:56:02 am »

If there are bitter complaints about the Multi to be found all over Teh Internets, it's rear brake, wind protection, and lack of cruise control. The last two would be de rigeur in a Grand Tourer. Maybe one of those is on the list?

And why would that be any less likely than, say, a power cruiser?
Advertisement

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2012, 01:30:37 am »

Have you ridden it?

Yep, liked my ST3 more.  Have you ridden an ST3?  PS the Multi doesn't get better mileage, unfortunately.
Cozye

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati MTS 1200
Miles Typed: 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2012, 07:30:03 am »

No, I have not ridden the st3. I've been on plenty of sport bikes over the years and got the multi when I decided to give up on sport bikes and go the sport touring route. I just know that I had an itch for a comfortable, practical, light, and fun to ride bike that handled great and the mts has fit that wonderfully for me. I had originally planned on keeping one of my 600's in addition to the multi, but sold it as soon as I realized the mts was so good I would never ride it.

I had a vfr once and didn't car for the half sport riding ego's on it. Maybe the st3 would be more upright, not sure. I was just tired of any forward lean. It isn't necessary on the street.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2821

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2012, 07:53:18 am »

Yep, liked my ST3 more.  Have you ridden an ST3?  PS the Multi doesn't get better mileage, unfortunately.

Funny the talk about mileage. From the bikes I use for commuting, they all get around 35mpg, keeping it just under triple digits to avoid the extra special ticket instituted in California a few year back, for those that exceed the ton.

SV650, DL1000, GTS1000, MTS-1200, they all suck gas almost equally, when you twist the wrist... Shrug

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
SalsaShark

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '12 Aprilia Tuono v4r
GPS: SC (for now)
Miles Typed: 356

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2012, 09:07:17 am »

No, I have not ridden the st3. I've been on plenty of sport bikes over the years and got the multi when I decided to give up on sport bikes and go the sport touring route. I just know that I had an itch for a comfortable, practical, light, and fun to ride bike that handled great and the mts has fit that wonderfully for me. I had originally planned on keeping one of my 600's in addition to the multi, but sold it as soon as I realized the mts was so good I would never ride it.

I had a vfr once and didn't car for the half sport riding ego's on it. Maybe the st3 would be more upright, not sure. I was just tired of any forward lean. It isn't necessary on the street.

I did something similar. I held on to my speed triple when I bought the MTS thinking I would have more fun on it in the mountains, commuting and what not... Nope... Waited for spring and sold the speedie.

Even now, I wander in and out of the dealerships and nothing jumps out at me as something to replace the multi. There's just nothing out there that is up to the task without some type of major sacrifice.
Flightar

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2013 Ducati MTS 12S Touring, 1997 Yamaha YZF 750R (sold), 2004 Honda VFR 800 (sold)
GPS: Florida
Miles Typed: 124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2013, 02:37:31 pm »

6K since March and zero issues...love the MTS12 so far. Nothing to complain about.
BillL

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 1982 CB900F, 2013 Multistrada 1200
GPS: St. Paul
Miles Typed: 198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2014, 11:03:17 am »

Yup, this is an old thread.  I've located a low mile 2010 for sale.  Skipper, others with issues getting this model sorted out, how did you fare?

Is this model year one to consider?
Flyer
Just put me back up on the bike.

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi Tre Volumetrica "Lampo Bianco", Kona NuNu "The Slug", Colnago C50 "La Spada di Cambiago", Kona Jake the Snake.
GPS: "O Canada, We Stand On Cars and Freeze"
Miles Typed: 6858

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2014, 04:59:48 pm »

I just turned 18K km (13K mi?) on my '10.
I've bled the rear caliper so many times to no lasting effect, that I've simply given up using the rear for anything beyond hill holding. The caliper must be removed/inverted, (which requires wheel removal), 'cause some ingegnere tecnico spec'd the bleeder on the bottom of the caliper.  Crazy
Recently, I replaced the rear master cylinder, as it refused to bleed at all. ($95 part).
Now, at least the brake works as well as new, which is faint praise indeed... Rolleyes
I still experience what I assume is RF interference (or spiriti maligni) that requires the bike to be pushed 50-60 feet away from it's "no start" location, until it'll wake up and run. Makes for comic relief theatre wherever there's a crowd of onlookers.  
The bike is due for a TSB #14-002 to replace the right lower fork clamp (prone to cracking!). Warranty item.  Thumbsup
All these tiny gripes don't amount to a hill o' beans once you swing a leg over and ride off.
Still  Inlove

“Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it".   Flannery O'Connor.
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2014, 07:11:31 pm »

I'm with Flyer. 25k miles on mine and just ran it up to Utah from NM. It's an '11.

I've had issues, most seriously the coolant dissolves the engine issue at 20k miles, resulting in new heads, radiator, and exhaust valves (!!). 

I've also replaced the clutch slave with an Oberon after the factory one leaked and -- as with Flyer -- have abandoned hope of having a rear brake.

So. It's not been trouble free, but my local dealer had been fantastic, and the bike handles, is comfy, and had enough luggage capacity for long trips -- and to be amazing when I get there!

No plans to replace it. Still love it.

(Though I am a little concerned the tank is expanding. If so, it'll be a warranty issue but I'll get it coated)
Silverbird

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '16 FJR1300 '07 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1625

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:37 pm »

^ Dang, was all the under warranty?  Is it common?
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2014, 11:25:37 pm »

Was all under warranty. The engine thing was more on 2010s; don't know how common.

Would have been exceptionally painful not as a warranty.
Epyon

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ‘09 Street Triple R, ‘10 S1000RR
Miles Typed: 83

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2014, 03:36:23 am »

This is a great post, kinda  Wink.  My Triumph Street Triple took a dump and is dead now.  I've been wanting to do some longer touring stuff for a while but have not gotten off my butt.  Since my trumpet has left me I decided its time for something else.  It was a absolutely fantastic bike I loved it.  I've been struggling to find anything that was very interesting AND I could start my touring career on AND do a track day with.  VFR is way too sporty IMO for long touring duties and 2up.  KTM 690 Duke seems to small and a single doesn't seem optimal for long distance riding, but that thing has to be a damn hoot around town.  I tested the Multistrada and Diavel one day and loved them both to death.  Nothing floats my boat like those two.  I would like to try a KTM 990SMT bit I have only ever seen one in person.  It's good to see that some folks are having some good luck.  The others with issues are kinda freaky.  I'd like to get this next bike and sit on it for a while.  It's sounding like maybe a '12 is the way to go.  I know it won't be all rainbows and gummy bears over the life of the bike, it's Italian after all.  But I just don't know if I'm ready to be so touring as to have a FJR1300.  

So keep us informed on how things are going I'm stashing cash this winter for a large down payment on a used unit or maybe a left over demo.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal