Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: It Was Never Buell That Was The Problem  (Read 7825 times)

Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 09:00:37 pm »

I just got a brain storm.
No dealers, sold entirely over the internet, even parts.  Bigok
Every bike comes with a complete shop manual, disk and paper.
The one year warranty would include parts only. You mail part you think is defective, they send you new part and reimburse for shipping if part is defective.
I would rather do my own work, good technicians in my area are hard to find.  
IMO - most people who would agree to this type warranty will or should be mechanically able to be a parts changer.
Think about it, it just might work.

Is it spring yet!  Bigsmile

You might be on to something, but what does the customer who's NOT mechanically inclined do? There are plenty of other products sold on the 'net that don't have "dealers".

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4630

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 01:57:53 am »

Likely true -- the shutdown had all the earmarks of a corporate panic attack (anyone that's seen one will recognize others) . . . . . . it's too bad, but I'm not a stockholder, and no longer have a dog in this hunt, so I'll wish HDI well, and hope they get some leadership.

More like a new CEO using the panic in the market to push through his own agenda, from what I've read.  But yeah, basically a panic attack...

But, while I too hope H-D gets some leadership, I'm not holding my breath...and I really don't care if they do well or not, I'll certainly never buy a H-D product now.

E=MC2
st2sam

Reputation 133

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2014 Honda Valkyrie
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying Hippo.
Miles Typed: 1671

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 07:54:50 am »

You might be on to something, but what does the customer who's NOT mechanically inclined do? There are plenty of other products sold on the 'net that don't have "dealers".

Hopefully the NOT mechanically inclined won't purchase this bike for that reason.
It possably could work with good phone, internet (24/7) and maybe a live tech or two available during business hours. Shrug
The bike would be shipped boxed and crated to your door with set up instructions. I think that would be neat, not for everyone but a cheap way to get started and get bikes rolling off the production line.

Change is good, but only for a while..
Honda makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
Advertisement

Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 12:49:53 pm »

Why beat the dead horse?? Ya gotta make a profit to be in business, no??

What this thread is all about...Buell WAS making a profit, and growing faster than H-D itself, yet H-D management still decided to pull the plug.  It's not like Buell was failing.

E=MC2
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 06:01:25 pm »

Koot, I read the full article in Cycle World about Buell's demise at H-D.  The article was written by an insider who worked for Buell (not EB) who had connections within H-D.  It was very detailed and he/she went through each model's and engine development hurdles.  A real eye opener.

The decision by H-D to stick with the original 1200 Sportster Bore and Stroke to maintain the legacy of the Sportster, which worked against Buell's original design of a more oversquare engine that could rev near 9k RPM.  Buell had to agree to that, which came to haunt the company later when testers complained about the low redline of the Thunderstorm engine (7k RPM).  That also put the price of the XB9R well above the market because that engine, which had the more rev-friendly bore/stroke, could not be manufactured side by side with the 1203 engine and save costs.  A great example of H-D meddling that compromised Buell at every turn.

Another example was H-D refusal to put full fairings on Buell's to avoid "direct" competition from the Japanese.  H-D was deftly afraid of Japan!  This forced Buell to be "creative" in covering their sportbikes below the beltline.  The one that was really disappointing was the XB12R Diablo, which was a turbocharged XB12R.  According to Buell, 130 bhp and over 100 ft. lbs. of torque, with greater reliability than the N.A. 1203.  Wow!  What I would have done for that bike!  

Overall, it was H-D fears and constant meddling that compromised Buell at every turn.  It's amazing Buell got things done with what little they had.

Rogue
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 07:29:03 pm »

It's amazing Buell got things done with what little they had.

Yes, I understand all that.  But, get things done they did...I really like my XB9R.  In the end, though, H-D just up and shut 'er down, no real reasons ever given...I do believe Keith Wandell had it in for Buell right from the day he was hired on.  He didn't ride, but had mental images of himself astride a Fat Boy--definitely NOT a Firebolt--I don't believe he had any understanding of Buell, their design philosophy, or their place in the market.  To him, they were just a small division that was easily sacrificed (to the tune of $125 million...).

E=MC2
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 09:24:30 pm »

I do believe Keith Wandell had it in for Buell right from the day he was hired on.  He didn't ride, but had mental images of himself astride a Fat Boy

Yup, Wandell is the CEO version of Rajflyboy  - they both don't ride, they both don't have bikes but they both have opinions about bikes.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Brad1445
Brad to the Ley

Reputation -6

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2008 Ducati HyperMotard - 2009 KTM 505 - 2009KLXSM - 2004 Buell Firebolt
GPS: Denver
Miles Typed: 2243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 08:09:18 pm »

"Anonymous" on Badweb said this "THE BIKE LOOKS EXACTLY THE WAY WE WANT IT TOO" it was the reality of many years of dreams and planning.

I don't believe the bike looks the way it does do to HD restrictions as Eric was bragging so much in 2008 that this was his dream bike.

But for the sake of argument lets say they were not allowed a Fairing.

Why no chin fairing suck as the XB's?

Why the pods?  Many bikes have split radiators but don't looks so odd and out of place.

Why the odd proportioned top fairing?  Far from naked its the size of a Buick.

Why did none of the new parts follow any lines or styling themes of the carry over XB parts?

The 1125 may have been a cool idea in the 1980's when he first drew it on a napkin, but like the Delorean if you take to much time to bring it to market the changing market forces may leave your 20 year dream in the dust.

Why does HD not get any credit for allowing the development of the XB bikes and the continues improvement that followed.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal