Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Ono you didn't. Oh yes I did tuono.  (Read 30856 times)

Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 12:14:56 pm »

The wheels are actually from the OLDER generation, they're off a 2002 Mille R (back when R meant what Factory means now).  Also, the newer generation wheels are generally much heavier cast units that only look like the trick forged OZ units, plus they won't fit on non-radial caliper 1st Gen bikes.  I've got some gold rim stripes coming, hoping that will minimize the blue without going too far into blingville.

I live in rain country, ride year-round sans snow, but I wanted something to stir my soul more than the Sprint.  The Sprint is a great bike and will be with me for years to come, but it's not the right tool for every job.  It's now my "SUV".

Looked long and hard at the Speed Triples...the 955 suited my sense of aesthetics more, but riding one really didn't FEEL that much different than the Sprint when it came down to brass tacks, chassis was different but the engine was the same.  The 1050 was more powerful, but still felt the same, plus I always felt like the proverbial elephant on a roller skate thanks to the absurdly short tail section.  As for the Street Triple, besides looking too much like a Speed, I need torque, it doesn't have any.  

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 04:50:07 am »

Keep the Oz wheels.How about trying a gold rim stripe to accent the lower tank color?Only a couple of dollars invested and no down time.

Gold stripes worked.  Broke up the blue nicely, so much so that my eyes stopped bleeding.

Sadly, the bike was a bit mis-represented.  Cosmetically, it's about a 5/10 in person, with elbow grease and chemistry maybe taking it 6.5/10.  Decals did not age well.

Also going to need a new sprocket on both ends.  Rear tire was so worrisome I stopped and overpaid for a stealership set of Dunlop Q2s.  Good thing I did, the fork pinch bolts were loose enough to turn by hand.  Oh, and the battery terminals were held on with zip ties (I'm not joking).

Good news is, it runs out strong, rear brake actually works, clutch is lighter than my Sprint, and it's just a hoot to ride.  And the Arrows are loud as hell, we're talking asshole H-D loud (but of course, way cooler).  There's an exhaust repack in my future, and maybe tracking down or fabbing up some db-killer insert sleeves.

Got home about 7PM, spent the evening fiddling and farkling.  Prelim setting of the sag,  2nd Gen mirrors fitted, a quick bathing, FAMSA tank bag fitted properly, Sargent seat installed with quick release pins, clear lenses on the indicators, all the slapped on red/white Aprilia stickers removed, red bar ends replaced with black, axle and fork sliders installed, Zumo and TPX wiring ran (still waiting on a fuse box), mounts for both on the riser via RAM m8 balls, and a general walk around and tightening up of any fastener I could find.

Still to come is installing the a stiffer shock spring, mounting gold mesh radiator/oil cooler protectors, covering the new rear seat I bought with the matching Sargent cover, getting the leads properly fitted to the battery terminals, maybe installing the gold Pazzo knockoff levers if that's not bling overkill (and it already has black CRGs), and of course lot of elbow grease as I give it a proper wash and polish. 

Battery is probably the only thing I'll fuck with tomorrow, since it's supposed to be 65 and sunny.  Damned if I'm going to waste that wrenching and washing.
DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5271

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 09:50:03 am »

Sounds like it is coming along nicely - sorry for the condition.

Coming from a Sprint as well, I'm really jones'n for a Tuono  as well.  Torque sluts all think alike.

Post up some more pics as you go.

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
Advertisement

Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 06:08:45 pm »

Did a bit of work over the weekend.  

Here's some so-so cell phone no flash shots of it in the parking garage at work.  The cheap red/white decals removed, Sargent seat, 2nd gen mirrors, wheel stripes, FAMSA tank bag base, gold mesh radiator/oil cover grilles, axle/swingarm sliders, red "V60" decals that I'll probably be taking back off, and a lot of elbow grease.  Bike was described as "mint"...my ass.

Had to stick with the red bar ends for now, the replacements I ordered need the Aprilia end weights that thread into the bar end, and have an M6 bolt hole for the bar ends.  The red ones use a rubber expansion plug.  And the slider pucks I ordered to replace the red LSL pucks require the OEM mounting, which the LSL's replaced.  Guess I'll either have to track down the factory brackets, pay through the nose for replacement LSL pucks in black, or live with the red.  Smile
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:13:41 pm by Croak » Logged
Castaway

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 V-Strom
GPS: New York
Miles Typed: 1336

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 06:30:29 pm »

If I had a dollar for every time that the words 'mint,' 'pristine,' are used when the product is only 'pretty good,' I could buy a new Tuono.   Lol

The bike looks decent in your pics, though.

I've seen the truth, and it didn't make sense.
Dan K

Reputation 110

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4219

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 06:32:08 pm »

You will so enjoy that bullet proof motor.  Good luck keeping the front wheel down.

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 06:40:41 pm »

You will so enjoy that bullet proof motor.  Good luck keeping the front wheel down.

- Dan

Pretty easy to do right now.  The damned thing is running 16/40 (yes, 40) sprockets and 520 chain.  16/42 525 setup ordered on Saturday, we'll see how that does me before I jump right into a 16/44 setup.
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 06:42:50 pm »

I guess you could use it as a long distance tourer...I did have a rear seat substitute (3 layers of plywood with brackets and a seat pin to attache to the bike and a Givi monokey plate bolted on top), but that isn't what the bike is for.  It will be a completely different animal with the new gearing.  Enjoy it.

- Dan

Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 06:59:30 pm »

Heh, yeah, I've still got the Sprint for long distance stuff, not going to spend much on luggage for the Tuono (beyond the awesome FAMSA bag setup).
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »

I used some Nelson Rigg saddle bags. rode a bit close to the exhaust, but they had some heat shielding on the bottom.  Those plus the top case made it a great tourer when I wasn't averaing 85+mph, but I alawys felt like the bike was kind of unhappy with me for putting on all the bags...  I can say when I hit the back roads on the way through NW Indiana and SW Michigan, I was glad to be on the T... but it still felt silly when all loaded down.   I do love my current bikes, but I definitely would have preferred to hold onto it.  Again, enjoy.

- Dan

shredder

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Desmo
GPS: The burbs of Chicago
Miles Typed: 62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 03:17:50 pm »

Tuonos rock!  Hooligan!!!!  I had an 04 t for a bunch o years.  GET A GABRO CHIP! for it if you don't already have one.  The bike sux without it, after you ride one with it.  Seriously, best mod I've ever done to any bike.  Also, check to see that the air box restrictor is gone, super easy if not and worth the effort for the growl that comes with it.

Just go.
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 06:40:31 pm »

Tuonos rock!  Hooligan!!!!  I had an 04 t for a bunch o years.  GET A GABRO CHIP! for it if you don't already have one.  The bike sux without it, after you ride one with it.  Seriously, best mod I've ever done to any bike.  Also, check to see that the air box restrictor is gone, super easy if not and worth the effort for the growl that comes with it.

I don't need any more growl.  It barks, it wags its tail, it sits up and begs, it chases postal workers.  :0

Finally got a shot of it in the sun today, with a real-ish camera:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:11:56 pm by Croak » Logged
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 11:39:56 am »

The gold stripe on the rims is a nice solution.   Thumbsup  Looks good!

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 11:52:28 am »

It's a band aid.  Lose the blue when you can. Until then, love the Tuono anyway.

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 06:19:30 pm »

It's a band aid.  Lose the blue when you can...

I'm surprised how well the stripes bring it together.  

But OK, you want more?  How about a bronze powdercoat to match the frame and swingarm?  Tasty.   Bigok

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 06:23:22 pm »

A little bit of trivia.  It seems I have the only 2003 Tuono legally registered in Canada.  Smile
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 06:23:53 pm »

I'm surprised how well the stripes bring it together.  

But OK, you want more?  How about a bronze powdercoat to match the frame and swingarm?  Tasty.   Bigok

That would work!

Function over form tho - the bike rocks.

-Dan

klavdy

Reputation -9

Motorcycles: 2003 Aprilia Tuono,(kept in America) 1993 YamahaFJ1200, kept in Australia,2007 Triumph Tiger 1050, kept in Australia,Kawasaki GTR 1400, Australia,2006 Yamaha AG200, kept in Papua New Guinea
GPS: AUSTRALIA
Miles Typed: 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 04:55:59 am »

Haha!
Good stuff, I just bought one as well , also off the AF1 list!

Done a few things to it already even though I haven't even seen it,its at a mates place in America and I'll go ride it at the end of the month.

Bunged on an Ohlins steering damper and rear shock, got rid of the stupid bar end mirrors, few other bits 'n pieces,

We're off to Hayfork and Hwy 36, should be good.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:04:33 am by klavdy » Logged

Riders lane split, drivers don't.
BobW

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: r1200rs
GPS: Morganton, NC
Miles Typed: 594

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 05:44:54 pm »

Nice and congrats! Post more photos and ride details after you meet her and get intimate  Bigsmile

Cheers

Retired and loving it.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 08:30:44 am »

Haha!
Good stuff, I just bought one as well , also off the AF1 list!

Done a few things to it already even though I haven't even seen it,its at a mates place in America and I'll go ride it at the end of the month.

Bunged on an Ohlins steering damper and rear shock, got rid of the stupid bar end mirrors, few other bits 'n pieces,

We're off to Hayfork and Hwy 36, should be good.

Nice one, Klavdy.  I hope you do some vids on her.  :popcorn:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal