Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Lower Lakes 1000  (Read 1075 times)

D-Mac

Reputation 21

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Mid-Michigan
Miles Typed: 1128

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:42:32 pm »

I'm getting ready for my 2nd "training run" for the Iron Butt Rally. This will be my first long ride since most of the mods on my bike were completed, and the first test of my lighting system.

Despite living in Michigan, I've never done any of the IBA "Great Lakes" rides. On the recommendation of some Region-4 folks, I'm thinking about doing a lap around Lakes Erie and Ontario. Lots of interstate, but also a chance to ride through some big cities. I'll head east through Sarnia, past Toronto, and on to eastern Ontario before heading south and coming back west through Buffalo and Cleveland, and then back up through Toledo and over to mid-Michigan.

Thoughts?

The BMW-MOA mileage contest also starts Saturday, so I'm thinking I'll ride to the Canton dealership on the way, get my form signed, and then keep riding...... Smile

EDIT: On second thought, maybe a lap around Lake Huron would be more fun. Some secondary roads and the fun of the Macinac Bridge is always good. Temps up north look to be above freezing too! The mileage is about 100 miles less, although the time to complete it will be at least 1.5-2h more.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:46:18 pm by D-Mac » Logged

IBA#443 ('11 IBR finisher)
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

sleazy rider

Reputation 37

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 5560

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 06:15:53 am »

Pick a direction and go.  Either will be enough of an early season challenge.  I recommended the Lower Lakes for the traffic management challenges you'll probably see on the IBR, not to mention the border crossing tests of patience while on the clock.   Lol

I rode the Lake Michigan 1000 route unintentionally a few years ago.  Headed out early one morning for the annual Soup Run in Fond Du Lac and missed the ferry back from Sheboygan, so rode home thru the UP and made it home well before midnight.  That was fun. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal