Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Shift Havoc Hybrid Pants  (Read 8087 times)

Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Street Triple R
GPS: Camp Grove, IL
Miles Typed: 2783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:09:36 pm »

I've been looking for a pair of armored riding pants for some time now -- to  be my last bit of kit needed to be ATGATT.  I've had a set of Hein Gericke leather pants that I bought for track day use a couple of years ago.  They are great, but tight and knee puck equipped.  Which is great for track days, but a bit over the top for casual riding for me.

I even went to the Chicago Motorcycle Show this year with the expressed purpose of trying on pants and buying something.  I found nothing there I wanted.  The textile overpants were just too bulky and most of the leather stuff was either just like the track day pants I already had, very heavy, or both.

I took a chance and ordered from NewEnough, since they have such a great return policy.  I got some textile TourMaster Jean Pants.  They just didn't fit right, being very baggy on me.  Sent them back and ordered a set of Shift's Havoc hybrid pants.  These I will keep.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/wmhickey/Gear/Front.jpg

These are a combination of textile fabrics and heavy leather.  Removable armor is in the knees and leather is used in the areas most likely to suffer abrasion.  Textiles of a couple of different types are used in other places to make them lighter and breath a bit more for hot days.  Although substantially heavier than the textile only pants I've tried, they are much lighter than all leather pants.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/wmhickey/Gear/Back.jpg

They have a snug fit at the waist and hips, with a more generous fit through the legs.  On each side of the waist there is a velcro and elastic waist adjustment strap.  I'd say it allows for as much as 2 inches of waist adjustment.  The shape is slightly precurved and there are textile accordion panels above the knee, so no bunching up when in the riding position.  But they still feel comfortable when standing.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/wmhickey/Gear/Cuff.jpg

More accordion panel material is used above the leather seat and there is a zipper back there for jacket attachment.  Speaking of zippers, there is a nice long one up the sides of each leg cuff.  Easy on and easy off.  The interior is lined with a mesh fabric and there is some reflecting piping up the sides (my camera flash made it stand out in these pictures, but without the flash the piping is dark grey.)

They are not advertised as being waterproof.  But I would think that with some spray on treatment they could stand up to light rain for a short time, at least.  I'll probably put that to the test and post back in this thread about it and whatever other thoughts I have about these pants after I've had them a while.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 09:15:50 pm by Hickey » Logged

Without exception, I'd rather know an upsetting fact than believe a comforting lie.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:32:49 pm »

Those look pretty good.  I've been shopping for some dedicated riding pants too and finding a style that goes over the boot is rare.

Is the waist snug enough that you'll be able to wear it without zipping it to a jacket?  I see there's no provision for a belt.

You probably didn't take a tape measure to the inseam if you're happy with the fit but does the length run true to what the New Enough website states?  If so I might be in business as I wear a 38x34 in jeans but measured they're really 33 1/2 inches long which is exactly the same length these pants are in my waist size.

I think that made sense.  Crazy Lol

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 09:59:10 pm »

I was able to get the waist snugged up using the velcro and elastic adjusters.  No need for a belt for me.  I'd say that for the waist, the NewEnough sizing is pretty accurate.  

The inseam is perhaps a touch longer than indicated when standing, but in the riding position it is just right for me.  So I'd say NewEnough has described the inseam accurately too.  

All of the above is based on the size I ordered which has a 30 inch waist.  See the sizing info on the relationship between waist and inseam here:  LINK
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:10:44 am by Hickey » Logged

Without exception, I'd rather know an upsetting fact than believe a comforting lie.
Advertisement

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 10:13:16 pm »

Excellent.  If anything I'd prefer them to be a little long than a little short, especially on the bike, and it would be nice if you didn't have to zip them to a jacket.

If you think about it, I'd be interested in your opinion after you've had the chance to ride in them a few times.

Thanks!  Beerchug

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 11:08:23 pm »

No problem, I'll post up more thoughts as they come.

Are you going to the Moonshine Run thingy in eastern Illinois the weekend of the 14th?  I'm planning on going and you can at least see a pair in person then.

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:39:11 pm »

Nope, my Mom's coming down for a visit that weekend.

Any chance you'll be at Starved Rock for lunch on April 1st?  I'm hoping to make that if weather and work cooperate.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the pants after you get some miles on them.

Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:04:11 am »

I'd like to make it to the Starved Rock gathering.  It is going to depend on the weather on both Saturday and Sunday.  I'm supposed to go up to the Chicago 'burbs on Saturday through Sunday to visit some friends.  If the weather is good, I'll ride there and on the way home try to make it to Starved Rock in time for the Region 4 gathering.  If the weather is... midwestern, I'll probably just drive the cage and skip the Starved Rock gathering.  

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 12:34:55 am »

Good enough, we'll see what happens.   Beerchug

Oh, and to avoid a  Threadjacked.  Nice pants.  Razz Lol

hobbes
You and I have memories longer than the road ahead...

Reputation 13

GPS: London, UK
Miles Typed: 1540

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:52:56 am »

Quality assesment? Size of zipper teeth? Comfort of liner on your bare legs? What temp range would you use these pants for?

Thanks!
Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 06:19:41 pm »

The zippers are the plastic "wire" type, not the type with big metal or brass teeth.  The whole interior is lined with a mesh fabric, see the pic above of the open pant leg.  Overall I'd say the quality of manufacture is very good, but given the number of panels, seams, and textile areas I'm not expecting them to provide the same level of crash protection as a one piece, leather, racing suit.  

I do think they will be on par with other similarly styled street pants.  I'm hoping the leather (more than half is thick leather) will make them more road rash resistant than most textile only pants.  Nevertheless, in a high speed tumble and slide crash, I'd guess they would either be trashed or require extensive repairs.  

As to temperature.  I'll wear them in cold weather with a pair of thermals on underneath.  I also plan to wear them in hot weather too, but there are no vents to open or mesh panels to make them really hot weather gear.  I anticipate these will be warmer than blue jeans in 90+ degree weather, but I'd rather sweat than bleed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:32:09 pm by Hickey » Logged

Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 06:25:47 pm »

Here is another pic.  Close up of a zipper and the front of the pants.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/wmhickey/Gear/Zipper.jpg

Heath3n
Yay me!

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2012 V-Strom 650
GPS: Iowa City, Ia
Miles Typed: 398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 12:22:26 pm »

Dang! Yet another item to add to my endless "to get" list. Nice pants!
bkmcj

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 05 Yamaha FJR ABS
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 08:22:30 pm »

Do they include hip armor?
Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 08:36:32 am »

No.  Other than the knee/shin armor, there are no other armored inserts.  The leather around the butt and hips is thick to resist road rash, but not padded to abosrb impact.

Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 08:18:10 pm »

Got a chance to wear these for several hundred miles of windy, rainy riding this weekend.  They are great.  Very comfortable, no binding in the joints or creases against the skin.  I think the textile in the design helps by allowing the pants to stretch for a custom fit instead of folding or bunching up.

They do move air through the textile areas.  I don't think they will be unbearably hot in warm weather.  They do require another layer in cold weather.  They are not even a little bit waterproof.  Rain that runs down the front of a jacket onto the crotch of the pants (a textile area) soaks right through.  I had rain pants that I wore over them and this made a big difference in staying both warm and dry.

I like them and they get my official stamp of approval.   Thumbsup

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 10:09:31 pm »

Thanks for the update.  I'm this >< close to pulling the trigger on a pair.  If I don't find any that I like this week while I'm out of town I'm giving New Enough a call.

SlakeMoth
misc.

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2001 Triumph Sprint RS
Miles Typed: 1450

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 01:44:12 pm »

Great!  thanks for the review - I was just going to post to see if anyone had bought a pair.

Do they have armor pocket for aftermarket hip armor?

If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, it wasn't meant to be. If it does come back, you highsided it.
Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 07:16:34 pm »

Do they have armor pocket for aftermarket hip armor?

Nope, no armor or pocket for armor there.

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 03:15:48 pm »

How's this for bringing a thread back from the dead?

For one reason or another I never bought a pair of these pants. Seems it was about this same time that I bought my full leather Dainese jacket and pants and probably didn't want to spend any more money at the time. I still have the Dainese gear and it's my go to gear for serious riding. I will admit the in the boot full leather pant is a little racy for a guy my age and I've recently been trying to find a protective over the boot pant. Bought a couple pair of Kevlar jeans that I like but I still prefer leather for slide protection. Plus I find the Kevlar jeans almost unbearably hot above about 85 degrees.

Cruising Craigslist a few weeks ago and I run across a Pair of Shift Havoc riding pants, my size, worn twice, $50. For that price I figured I'd try them, if I hate them I'm sure I can get  my money back out of them. I pick them up and they are in new condition.

Took them out for a 300 mile ride on Father's Day. I love them, great pants. Everything said above is right on the money. I'm not as trim as Hickey so while the adjusters snug up nicely at the waist I'm more comfortable in them wearing suspenders. I'm 56 now so I can get away with that. Wink Fit is right on for the stated 38 inch size, flex panels let you move easily and the knee armor stays right where it should. After a few minutes you can't even feel the knee armor. The fabric panels do pass a little air but the RS blocks most of the wind from my legs so I didn't notice much cooling unless I stood on the pegs or splayed my legs out to catch some air. It was 95 degrees out during my ride and I found the Havoc pants more comfortable than either my Dainese leathers or my Kevlar jeans. Branding is minimal which is also nice. With the waist adjusters and suspenders I can wear them with any jacket. It's good to have options. Build quality seems top notch. The leather is heavy but soft, seams are solid with nice stitching and no lose threads. They're not baggy but not tight either. Fit is virtually identical to my regular fit jeans. Comfortable, protective and not flashy. I think these will be my new go to touring pants.

I'm so impressed with the build quality I'm keeping an eye out for a Shift brand riding jacket in my size.

So it took over a decade for me to finally buy a pair and they are no longer in production. That said, if you run across a pair on Ebay or Craigslist that are your size and you're looking for a mostly leather pant that's well built, comfortable and protective without being too flashy I'd suggest you grab them.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:20:29 pm by Jetpilot5 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal