Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Headlight Adjustment on Bandit 1200S  (Read 20205 times)

Pitts2112

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
GPS: Worcester MA
Miles Typed: 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2011, 12:29:36 am »

I can't ride my Bandit at night because the headlight beam only goes out to about 15 feet in front of the bike and the highbeam is useless.

I've tried the search function but can't find any info on how to adjust the aim of the headlight.  I've looked inside the fairing and there don't appear to be any adjustment screws or anything.

Can anyone tell me how to raise the headlight aim?

Many thanks

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
formerly Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Mr.Black

Reputation 153

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18512

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 04:49:31 am »

Check out theses guys. If I have a Suzuki specific question, this is where I go.

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php

A quick search of the site reveals,

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php?topic=81582.msg920144#msg920144
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:53:06 am by Mr.Black » Logged

Sig lines used to be fun.
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 05:57:00 am »

From MaxZook :

The two holes in the black bodywork are access for the left/right beam adjustment (horizontal)... there are two bolts directly opposite those across the bulbs that adjust up/down (vertical).  These are accessible by turning the forks and using a 10mm nutdriver between the forks and headlight housing.

L/R                              L/R
      bulb               bulb
            U/D     U/D

This adjustment is VERY IMPORTANT if you take the next step along the path of Bandit Enbrightenment.  I had a Bandit headlight mod thread around here somewhere...

It boiled down to two things:

I removed the blinders from inside my headlight nacelle through methods described somewhere on Max Suzuki - basically heated the whole shebang up in the oven to make the seal soft enough to pry apart, removed the offending part from the low beams, resealed.  

I replaced the stock lamps with HIR (Halogen InfraRed) lamps from these guys - http://hirheadlights.com/.  Basically, there's a coating on the inside of the lamp that reflects the heat back onto the filament, causing it to glow brighter without drawing any more juice from those flimsy stock wires Suzuki used.

If you do this, it's very important to make the aim adjustments as stated above, since it becomes bright enough to night-blind oncoming traffic.

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Advertisement

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 06:01:55 am »

Old thread on Bandit headlights here:  https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,23211.0.html

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Pitts2112

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 09:49:52 am »

Thanks, Dred.  Sounds like just removing the blockers was a big improvement.  I seem to remember reading somewhere else that this involves baking the assembly to soften up the sealant.  Sounds a bit hit or miss, especially given my experience with an oven.

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:55:30 pm »

Thanks, Dred.  Sounds like just removing the blockers was a big improvement.  I seem to remember reading somewhere else that this involves baking the assembly to soften up the sealant.  Sounds a bit hit or miss, especially given my experience with an oven.

Nah, piece of cake.  And cleaning the soot from the inside helped lots too, dont forget

Pitts2112

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »

I finally got around to adjusting the headlight aiming on the Bandit.  Once I got the right tool, so to speak, it took about 45 seconds to do the job.  I used a socket wrench with a 12" extension and a universal joint to gain access to the bolt head and after that it was a piece of cake.  I have yet to ride at night to check the new setting but taking the tools and adjusting on the side of the road will be no problem at all.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Pitts2112

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 09:23:54 pm »

Rode the newly-adjusted headlight tonight for the first time.  Still rubbish!!  The aiming is pretty good but there might as well be a candle in the fairing for all the light that sodding bulb puts out.  

Time to look over the headlight upgrade threads!!

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 04:29:15 pm »

Rode the newly-adjusted headlight tonight for the first time.  Still rubbish!!  The aiming is pretty good but there might as well be a candle in the fairing for all the light that sodding bulb puts out.  

Time to look over the headlight upgrade threads!!

Yep.  In my experience, the aiming was pointless until after I cleaned and modded them.  Then it became VERY important.

Pitts2112

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 05:31:17 pm »

Got the headlight assembly apart and cleaned out everything inside.  The grey dust was the culprit.  I also swapped over the high-beam deflector and got rid of the lowbeam one.  BIG DIFFERENCE!!  The lights work now and I'm not afraid of the dark anymore.  

The bike is now useable all the time and I don't have to worry about getting home before dark.

thanks for the tips.  They made a huge difference in the useability of my bike!

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 05:57:43 pm »

Got the headlight assembly apart and cleaned out everything inside.  The grey dust was the culprit.  I also swapped over the high-beam deflector and got rid of the lowbeam one.  BIG DIFFERENCE!!  The lights work now and I'm not afraid of the dark anymore.  

The bike is now useable all the time and I don't have to worry about getting home before dark.

thanks for the tips.  They made a huge difference in the useability of my bike!

After the cleaning, I went riding at night a lot more JUST BECAUSE.  I felt... empowered I guess.

vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2864

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 10:09:50 pm »

I need this to be done.  I'm downright afraid to ride at night unless I'm blinding everyone.  High beam is good.  Low is like it's not even on.

Notice I didn't say, "I need to do this"   Lol Rolleyes Embarassment

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 02:54:22 am »

I need this to be done.  I'm downright afraid to ride at night unless I'm blinding everyone.  High beam is good.  Low is like it's not even on.

Notice I didn't say, "I need to do this"   Lol Rolleyes Embarassment

Aw, c'mon Bill.  It's not really all that hard, just need to ask a woman how to turn on the oven  :P

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal