Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Ninja 1000 oil change - Oil light question  (Read 26452 times)

JSharp

Reputation -62

Motorcycles: 2011 Ninja 1000, ancient KDX 250
GPS: East Central IL
Miles Typed: 760

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 10:16:44 am »

So since this is obviously a very rare condition normally with motorcycles, what are the chances that someone who changes their own oil on the N1K, and DOESNT know about the issue, and rides it for "awhile" without noticing the oil light is on?

Jsharp- of course riding around with the oil light could cause possible engine trouble.  Twofinger But since it seems this oiling system is nearly guaranteed to cause a problem, I'd bet in a few years there will be plenty of used N1K's that have been slightly "oil starved" at some point or more, in their past.

I've seen a lot of posts on different boards asking about this problem. No surprise, most people know if the oil pressure light doesn't go out that there's an issue and they don't continue to run the engine.

Maybe the people you know are different...  Twofinger

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

RideDualSport.com
EathyRider

Reputation 1

Miles Typed: 40

My Photo Gallery

RideDualSport.com/forum

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 11:22:43 pm »

I did the first oil change on the Ninja 1000 today.
At 246 miles I put Motul 10-40 non-synthetic with a K&N oil filter.
The original oil filter was a bear to remove, due to not having a small enough oil filter wrench. The K&N filter has a handy hex-head on it and I torqued it to 15 ft lbs and the oil drain plug to 25 ft lbs.

Also, even though I filled the oil filter with some oil before installing it, my oil warning light would not go off. So, I loosened the oil filter till a little oil dribbled out, and tightened it. The oil warning light turned off. Good thing I read about the air lock at the oil filter on the web, or I would have been very perplexed about the oil light staying on!
But, just because the light went on does it mean there was no oil pressure? Where exactly is the sensor located, and what conditions trigger the light to go on?
Cheers!

JSharp

Reputation -62

Motorcycles: 2011 Ninja 1000, ancient KDX 250
GPS: East Central IL
Miles Typed: 760

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 02:14:35 pm »

The oil pressure sending unit sits in one of the main oil galleys. It's a normal idiot light type pressure sender. If the light is on you have no oil pressure.

Next time try refilling the engine with oil before you pull the filter. I've been using that method plus filling the new filter about 1/2 way before installing it and I've never had pressure problems after a change.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:16:57 pm by JSharp » Logged
Advertisement

blkrabit

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2011 Ninja 1000
Miles Typed: 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 12:54:56 am »

My most recent oil change was uneventful. Drained, pulled filter, installed new filter, filled w/oil, started, oil light went out almost immediately. I won't provoke things again by trying to drain every last drop of old oil from the sump. Lesson learned.

BTW, I saw 136 mph indicated in eastern Oregon a few weeks ago. I love this bike!  Inlove
RideDualSport.com
EathyRider

Reputation 1

Miles Typed: 40

My Photo Gallery

RideDualSport.com/forum

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 11:18:16 pm »

Thank you JSharp for the explanation of the oil pressure, I'll be sure to fill the motor with oil before changing the oil filter.
The bike shifted nicer and the motor a little more quiet after the oil change.
The first 450 miles have been spent around 4,000 to 4,500 rpms. After 450 miles, I am spending more time in the 5,000 to 6,000 rpm range and occasionally hitting 8,000 rpm. As I approach 1000 miles I will go higher in the revs.

Refurbishing my brother's 1980's 900 Ninja really got me excited about looking at the new 1000 Ninja.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm178/ninaudp/900_Ninja_Project/900_Ninja_029.jpg

I rarely buy new motorcycles, and am a big Buell fan, so I was concerned that the 1000 Ninja would not have enough personality to keep me interested in it. A bike has to excite me when I am riding it, or while I am sipping a beer and just looking at it when its parked. The Ninja does both! The motor feels a lot like the Buell 1125 CR, tons of torque from idle to the sky! My Buell TT is super exciting to ride and a very visceral experience, if not a bit quirky. The Ninja is super capable (like the TT) on rough narrow county roads. It was not phased one bit by cattle guards, pot holes and rough roads, and it flicked through the turns super easy.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm178/ninaudp/2011_05_to_12/07/2011_ninja_1000_new_04.jpg

The riding position, fairing, motor and handling really sold me on this bike. I wanted a bike that would gobble the miles with utter reliability, no stress, and comfortably. My Buell S3 has a similar riding position and wind protection, but I am tired of wondering if an engine temp sensor is going to fail, muffler bracket breaking, or a belt going south. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Buells, but my 08 KLR 650 sold me on Kawasaki's reliability.
I would have liked better passenger accommodations and a better seat on the Ninja, but then it might not have been quite as sporting a bike. I also like the one piece cast frame with no welds at key points like the swing arm mount. Combined with the body work that attaches without visible fasteners, give the bike a super clean look, very sculpted and seductive! I don't mind the Ninja sticker either as it is a nod to is roots.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm178/ninaudp/2011_05_to_12/07/2011_ninja_1000_new_01.jpg

howardrichman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R ; Yamaha 17 FJ-09
Miles Typed: 338

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 08:46:45 am »

07 ninja 650R
Yep; My wife just bought the new Vulcan S ABS, loves the bike. For a cruiser, light weight and handles well. I had same problem w/ 1st oil change. Bled pump thru filter, light went out after frustration. I cannot believe not in owners manual. Never had this problem w/ my Ninja 650, or any vehicle I've ever owned! I'd be weary of buying used!

HR...
blkrabit

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2011 Ninja 1000
Miles Typed: 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 02:27:06 am »

Checking in at 7600 miles (yes yes yes, I need to ride more, I KNOW): all good, no engine issues. Still love the heck out of my Ninja!
pb

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: n1k
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 12:26:57 am »

yes, an old thread! for those with more oil changes under the belts, what do you feel is the contributing factor as to why this happens?
from my reading it appears that if the oil drain process is longer than a jiffy-lube job, the oil pump won't prime.
either that or positioning of the bike during refilling. in my case the bike was on a rear stand the whole time. so for my next oil change, besides being a bit quicker, i'll have the bike on it's side stand before refilling.
Phenix_Rider

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 440

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 06:38:46 pm »

yes, an old thread! for those with more oil changes under the belts, what do you feel is the contributing factor as to why this happens?
from my reading it appears that if the oil drain process is longer than a jiffy-lube job, the oil pump won't prime.
either that or positioning of the bike during refilling. in my case the bike was on a rear stand the whole time. so for my next oil change, besides being a bit quicker, i'll have the bike on it's side stand before refilling.

Main culprit seems to be not filling the filter before installing it.  Many bikes / filters have an anti-drain back valve that may exacerbate the issue.

I've never had the issue on my Ninja 650R, but some folks have.  I fill the new filter before installing it.  Never tried replacing the filter after refilling the oil.  Slightly more oil comes out when it's up on the rear stand, though it's not enough to make any difference.  Can't tell you how many oil changes I've done in the last ten years and 58,000 miles.  Doing yet another tonight.  
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 04:44:21 pm »

I've never had the issue on my Ninja 650R, but some folks have.  I fill the new filter before installing it.  Never tried replacing the filter after refilling the oil.  Slightly more oil comes out when it's up on the rear stand, though it's not enough to make any difference.  Can't tell you how many oil changes I've done in the last ten years and 58,000 miles.  Doing yet another tonight.  

You don't keep track of when you do oil changes?  How do you know when to do it again?!?

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
kver
not A doctor -- THE DOCTOR...

Reputation 68

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 488

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 06:17:00 pm »

You don't keep track of when you do oil changes?  How do you know when to do it again?!?

I don't keep track either...  the bikes tell me when the need a change -- shifting gets less smooth..
Phenix_Rider

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 440

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 06:27:26 pm »

I just use the "B" tripmeter, which gets reset with the oil.  "A" tripmeter is for the fuel tank and gets reset at fill-up.  Depending on my season and my plans, oil changes get done between 3,000 and 5,000 miles.  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal