Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Custer National Next Time  (Read 18286 times)

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7538

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:21:51 am »

Just a thought. Could the 2015 National that would be at Custer be somewhere else like Lewiston or northern California?

The thought is that perhaps moving it will get those who have gone to go again.

This year we had 18 for dinner. The last time it was at Custer there were over 60.  Something needs to be changed up to attract more people the next time it comes due.

The other thing is the Custer location and the Colorado location are only a day apart from each other. Shouldn't it be more spread out?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:29:08 am »

I know a great place in Fortuna CA Bigsmile

OK in all seriousness, maybe in Sonora Or Reno

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:39:03 am »

I thought that was for your WCRM announcement.

But yeah I guess those locations for a national could work.  Just wish Nevada had something. Smile
Advertisement

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 12:48:22 am »

Just a thought. Could the 2015 National that would be at Custer be somewhere else like Lewiston or northern California?

I can't see a Nor Cal location benefiting east coast or Midwest ST.Ners  Headscratch

miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 01:02:10 am »

I can't see a Nor Cal location benefiting east coast or Midwest ST.Ners  Headscratch

Yeah, but the western National location being a thousand miles away from the left coast is a bit ridiculous, too...

Three points where two lines meet
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:27:27 am »

pshaw...westerners drive 50 miles for a quart of milk  Bigsmile

miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 01:44:33 am »

Heck- the West Coast Regional meet is in my state, and it's a thousand miles of riding just to get there, so maybe you're right.

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 06:48:21 am »

The mid-week scheduling of the National (to give people time to get there) means taking vacation and making a week of it (9 days with the weekends). Not everyone is willing to devote a week of vacation to STN when there are other interests (family stuff, etc) vying for the same time.

If I'm taking vacation, I don't want to piss away valuable vacation days (since I don't get many) riding across the plains from PA for a couple days of fun on the other side. Four days of sucky riding (there and back) for a couple days of National seems like a bad value proposition to me. So short of an extended trip to make good use of getting across the plains, you probably won't ever see me very far west of the Mississippi river. Well, I did make it to Eureka Springs (only a half day of sucky riding) and will do that National again for sure. But burning those 5 vacation days in one block means that I can't use them to make long weekends, so doing one big trip actually reduces my total moto trip days for the season.

Personally, I prefer the regional meets. The long weekend format fits into most people's schedules better but it limits where you can draw from. I like the way ESTN moves around. Yes, it makes planning more of an exercise in cat-herding and consensus building, but it doesn't get stale. There are so many great places to ride and things see within a 500 mile radius of Pittsburgh, that I don't think I'll get bored any time soon. Variety is good, even if it takes more work.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:42:20 am by garry » Logged

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
the frenchman

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:20:45 am »

+1 Garry. Having ridden across the middle of this great country and somehow living through the experience I can say with certainty it's not something I'll ever choose to do again.
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 11:19:29 am »

I thought WCRM was the western national.... just sayin Wink

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:55 pm »

+1 Garry. Having ridden across the middle of this great country and somehow living through the experience I can say with certainty it's not something I'll ever choose to do again.

and I guess that's my issue with the National locations. Of the four rotating locales, all but three require that Midwest grind for us here on the west coast. Even Colorado involves crossing Nevada, which is its own version of suck.
When Attpical1, DagoR6 and I took a week to get to Eureka Springs, we rode almost 6000 miles in seven days to do it. That was including a direct slab beeline home, part of which was a 1000+ miles stretch of I-40. Looking a a GPS that says "next turn 1,148 miles" gets a bit depressing.  

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15115

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 04:16:53 pm »

and I guess that's my issue with the National locations. Of the four rotating locales, all but three require that Midwest grind for us here on the west coast.  

There is no solution, so you guys can just quit now. Not that you will  Embarassment  The reasoning behind the rotating Nationals was so that those who did have the time/inclination to make a National could do so. Those who can't/won't, can make whatever National is in their back yard when the rotation comes.

Montrose (Colorado) - sure, a distance from the West Coast, but it's a fun ride.
Custer (north central US) - see Colorado
Eureka - haven't been there myself, but it seems to be reachable by the southern states by most
WV (or there abouts) - Also do-able for those on the east coast, but like the western meets, it mean committing time.

There don't have to be any Nationals. Regions seem to be pretty good at putting their Regional Meets together and its not like other region members are excluded Shrug   It's been eight years since the first one - maybe the novelty is over?  :popcorn:

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 10:49:58 pm »

There is always the Colorado National.
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 10:53:08 pm »

There is no solution, so you guys can just quit now. Not that you will  Embarassment  The reasoning behind the rotating Nationals was so that those who did have the time/inclination to make a National could do so. Those who can't/won't, can make whatever National is in their back yard when the rotation comes.

Montrose (Colorado) - sure, a distance from the West Coast, but it's a fun ride.
Custer (north central US) - see Colorado
Eureka - haven't been there myself, but it seems to be reachable by the southern states by most
WV (or there abouts) - Also do-able for those on the east coast, but like the western meets, it mean committing time.

There don't have to be any Nationals. Regions seem to be pretty good at putting their Regional Meets together and its not like other region members are excluded Shrug   It's been eight years since the first one - maybe the novelty is over?  :popcorn:

There is no National for the West Coast people that is in their backyard.  3 WESTERN states over is NOT in somoene's back yard.  So we should make one of the two in our backyards.  Custer or Montrose, choose.

Custer and Montrose are only a days away from each other.  The other meets are more than a days away from each other.

Figure out how to make it so Custer has more than 18 people next time and I'll listen.

While I had fun and it was nice to meet the people who came, it was smaller than the last WCRM I went too...and it mostly had Canadian's from the PNW there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:31:07 pm by Mr Sunshine » Logged
Raptormn

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 05 FJR1300, 02 R1, 07 R6
GPS: Afghanistan
Miles Typed: 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 12:56:39 am »

why not rotate colorado with a spot in Utah? a little closer to the west coast and cool riding in that area. imo from a new guy.
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 06:12:36 am »

Locations are tricky.

I find it odd that Colorado and South Dakota are choices given how close they are to each other.  However, what are the alternatives?

Oregon would be a very good "west" location.  Not great for those in the southern side of the country, but California's Nazi-like police enforcement make Oregon a better choice, IMHO.

SD has more than ND.  Maybe Montana, but you're going to be limited to the MT/ID border region for the good roads, and even then I'm not sure how much variety or short loops you can plan in a day.

Colorado remains a good choice for a "central" US location, but it does compete a little with the Ozarks/Oklahoma area.

WV isn't the only "east" option available.  You do have NC/VA/SC as well, but if you are from Maine or Florida, nothing is going to be close to you.

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 08:40:46 am »

The east location has moved a bit, and it in truth should as  limiting it is wasting a lot of good options, Colorado has also moved a bit , not far (from Montrose to Gunnison) but maybe Utah should be looked at. IMHO if you want a western meet a 5th location might need to be added to the rotation. And to you western people crying about flatland rides to SD and Colorado, try it from the east, you'll find out what suck is. To SD from PA  Western Ohio, IND, ILL Iowa, Nebraska or the W. Ohio, Michigan,Wisconsin,Eastern SD flatlands.
Then to Colorado, Yeah you can run WAAAAY south( not realistic on a working person's vacation limits) or, Again Western Ohio, Ind, ILL, Missouri( midsection FLAT) Kansas .So crossing oneor two flat western state's would be a blessing to US here in the east
Look folks ,unless the meets were all in the Appalachian Mts or on the west coast you will have to cross flatlands to get to a mid USA meet.

Regional meets are great I go to them,and if you don't want to committ the time or a flatland ride to a national its a great alternative, but don't poo poo the National because you don't want to go across the flats or time or whatever. go to the regional and leave it be.. BUT I still enjoy the nationals, whomever shows , shows, and in truth would moving them bring more people? I feel the economy has far more to do with the low turn out more than anything else, it was a financial strain for me to get there , but I was able to swing it, and a different location isn't going to make a difference to my pocketbook or to my ability to get there or not.

In truth  I wouldn't mind a west coast National, but very few Eastern people would be able to make it, and that kind of defeats the whole idea doesn't it?? It would be the same as a National in Lake Placid or Vermont.Ponder upon that for a while, the idea (originally) was centralized meets in decent riding locations.

And please don't take my response Personal , it isn't intended as such , just my ramblings to a screen about the whole thing, no offense intended.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:09:42 am by maddjack » Logged

birdrunner

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4844

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 09:44:28 am »

The thought is that perhaps moving it will get those who have gone to go again.

This year we had 18 for dinner. The last time it was at Custer there were over 60.  Something needs to be changed up to attract more people the next time it comes due.

The other thing is the Custer location and the Colorado location are only a day apart from each other. Shouldn't it be more spread out?

Although I really LOVE going to Custer, the reality is, except for one day, I ride the same route there.  

It seems BOTH "Western" meets are in reality more of a "Central" meet.
In addition,  almost everyone who rides to Custer from the east, continues to either Glacier or Colorado either before or after the meet anyways.

Sadly, I must concur with Sunshine.   Embarassment

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
birdrunner

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 09:51:03 am »

why not rotate colorado with a spot in Utah? a little closer to the west coast and cool riding in that area. imo from a new guy.

Utah was my first choice,  that or Southern Idaho  (Sun Valley anyone ??)  

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 12:52:40 pm »

Personally I don't think the economy is why only 18 people showed up. Location being the same was.

As to a more western meet causing no east coasters to come I have to ask, how many west coasters go to the Eastern met in WV?

The idea of the rotation was to put a national close to people so they would go. Not having one near the west coast is not fair to the west coasters.

I feel like someone is getting their butt hurt with my suggestion on how to increase the number of people and are not willing to flex.
greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 91 ZX-11 - SOLD!
GPS: Covington WA
Miles Typed: 3495

My Photo Gallery

What we have here is failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 01:59:11 pm »

We could always skip the rotation and have it in the same place every year since each region now has its own meet, and I don't recall seeing any laws against attending a meeting in another region.

I propose the Geographic Center of the United States, Lebanon Kansas. http://www.kansastravel.org/geographicalcenter.htm

Of course, the riding might kinda suck, just look at that horizon.

ATGATT - All the Garbage all the time
birdrunner

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 02:10:51 pm »

We could always skip the rotation and have it in the same place every year since each region now has its own meet, and I don't recall seeing any laws against attending a meeting in another region.

I propose the Geographic Center of the United States, Lebanon Kansas. http://www.kansastravel.org/geographicalcenter.htm

Yup,  and the meets closest are both "Western".   Time to move one of the two.

greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 02:23:03 pm »

By road:
 Eureka Springs to Lebanon - 515
 Gunnison to Lebanon - 552
 Custer to Lebanon - 524

so Lebanon is pretty much the center.  Problem solved, leave a dollar in the jar on your way out. Bigsmile

I do agree that the "western" national location should be closer to the coast.

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 05:36:43 pm »

Personally I don't think the economy is why only 18 people showed up. Location being the same was.

As to a more western meet causing no east coasters to come I have to ask, how many west coasters go to the Eastern met in WV?

The idea of the rotation was to put a national close to people so they would go. Not having one near the west coast is not fair to the west coasters.

I feel like someone is getting their butt hurt with my suggestion on how to increase the number of people and are not willing to flex.

More than you realize, I think we did pretty well last two times, last being Lewisburg and I know there were western people there,not saying there shouldn't be a west coast meet . And maybe you a TAD oversensitive to folks who don't bandwagon jump, hey show me how its going to get more people (other than all west coasters ) and I'll 100% back the idea instead of the 50/50 I am now.
I thought you guys liked to ride, now you want it a day away. Lol Twofinger couch

bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 69

GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6793

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 06:00:51 pm »

The geographic center of North America is Rugby SD IIRC ... But Inguess that is why it is called the NATIONAL ... eh?
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 07:38:00 pm »

FYI: Sonora is a good three day ride for me or a bad two day ride.  It all depends on the roads I take. The important part for me is zero interstate there and its still a reasonable time line.

And so what if there are more Californians. Its more people.

How many people from the western states showed up in the last eastern meet?  I know you said you did ok. But what is ok?
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 07:39:15 pm »

Yeah it's called a national but if it continues like this it should have been called an International meet.  Smile
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 08:07:08 pm »

Yeah it's called a national but if it continues like this it should have been called an International meet.  Smile

Sorry that we watered down the event to such a degree  Twofinger
I was not aware that the horsepower to Canuck ratio was such an issue?! Lol

St.n IS international after all.  Headscratch Sad Razz

But, I tend to agree with Chris, that the western national is a bit much too east. Baker comes to mind or the area south of Logan UT. East west must be juxtaposed with the reality of travel time/distance.

There ... Chris.  How did I do ?  Can I still borrow the Duc next weekend as you promised ? ?  Oh , after you put on new rubber of course.  

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 09:34:04 pm »

There ... Chris.  How did I do ?  Can I still borrow the Duc next weekend as you promised ? ?  Oh , after you put on new rubber of course. 

Did I promise something after you rufyed me?  Smile
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 12:09:13 am »

moving the national to the west coast would make it easier for pussies to attend when, we're supposed to be weeding out the pussies from our ranks.

if sport touring wuz easy, everyone would be doing it.

couch

Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 12:51:46 am »

6 Canadian riders and me (I just happened to ride from Canada, but I don't come from there).  Bump it up to 8 Canadians if you add the pillions.  So I'd say us Americans still outnumbered the Canadians.  Smile

The geographic center of North America is Rugby SD IIRC

That's the geographic center of the United States (if you factor in Hawaii and Alaska).  I know this because it was on a menu at a restaurant in Bell Forche, SD, so it had to be true. Smile

Lebanon KS is the center of the "lower 48" IIRC.  But there's no way you'll get me to go back to anywhere named Lebanon, great roads or slab. Been there, done that, got the Purple Heart.
birdrunner

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:05 am »

Did I promise something after you rufyed me?  Smile

Yes,  apparently Bubba was pretty good.  

Guy
Scattered, smothered, and covered

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: 4th gen VFR, 1st gen FZ1
GPS: Outside the pattern
Miles Typed: 2375

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 11:12:08 am »

Check out this map of population density, and figure out where the best place is to travel to that is equi-distant for the most people (you're gonna lose West Coaster's  Razz )
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 03:50:41 pm »

Check out this map of population density, and figure out where the best place is to travel to that is equi-distant for the most people (you're gonna lose West Coaster's  Razz )

On that note is there a map that shows the density of ST.Ners across the US?  I know there are tools where you can feed it a ton of citys and it'll produce a map for you.   I'm highly curious of this information cause it would help National meet planning.  If it turns out they are all in Florida...then while I won't like it...I'd agree to the national being closer to there.  But I have a feeling that isn't the case.   Cool
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 03:59:19 pm »

Good roads are generally in inverse proportion to the amount of population in a given area.  Has little to do with geography, and much to do with traffic.
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 04:05:51 pm »

Good roads are generally in inverse proportion to the amount of population in a given area.  Has little to do with geography, and much to do with traffic.

Can you explain California then?  Smile
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4574

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 04:17:05 pm »

The western meet could be in Utah.  

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 04:20:25 pm »

Note the "generally" in there, and the fact that I said area, not state.  That said, from the population centers in Cali, other than a few crowded exceptions, it's still a bit of a ride to get to the tasty bits.
Guy

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 07:45:53 pm »

So maybe move Custer location west to WY/MT/ID region, and move the CO meet location further south to New Mexico. The first move will pander to PNW's and the second move should make the SoCal'ers happier.

Eureka Springs is about as close as you can get to the center of ST.n crowd that also has good riding
birdrunner

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 11:41:03 am »

Eureka Springs is about as close as you can get to the center of ST.n crowd that also has good riding

Actually I remember planning the first Nat'l.  At that time we looked for a location central to the majority of members.  Custer was a very good choice. (Colorado was 2nd).  With the addition of other locations not as central, the need for a central location  isn't as critical.  Colorado could get moved a bit West to Utah  (could be bloody hot there),  Custer could go west to Idaho

But like I've said,  I love riding the Black Hills and would go (for my fourth time) if it was there again.

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 05:40:03 pm »

So its settled...the 2015 National will be in Sonora, Ca.  It will be combined with the WCRM for some extra special fun.

Hurray for a decision!
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 08:43:17 pm »

So its settled...the 2015 National will be in Sonora, Ca.  It will be combined with the WCRM for some extra special fun.

Hurray for a decision!

You never cease to amaze me, Chris   :popcorn:

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 08:46:09 pm »

You never cease to amaze me, Chris   :popcorn:

This isn't a democracy....someone's gotta make a decision and our leaders don't...so I made it for them.  Bigsmile  :popcorn:
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 08:57:59 pm »

If people would just suck their your pride and trailer the bikes to the meets, there wouldn't be any problems.  

couch
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2011, 09:00:02 pm »

If people would just suck their your pride and trailer the bikes to the meets, there wouldn't be any problems.  

couch

Actually I joked to the Wife about doing just that to next year's National in Arkanasa.  But I would park the trailer somewhere a few hundred miles away so I can "ride" in.   Bigsmile
Andrew

Reputation 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:03 pm »

Actually I joked to the Wife about doing just that to next year's National in Arkanasa.  But I would park the trailer somewhere a few hundred miles away so I can "ride" in.   Bigsmile

Poser Bigsmile

OK on a side line; Who has attended all 4 regional STN Nationals.

I have attended 3 out of 4, family business forced me to skip only the southern point. Been to Colorado, SD & WV, and I come from CA.

I can't believe I am agreeing with Sunshine, But I must second Sonora CA.
Considering how STN is like herding cats two votes is almost a slam dunk.
So Sonora IT IS  

If you feel like riding out please do, if not there are other options (fly and rent, trailer and ride, Fly and Buy and probably a few more)

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2011, 10:12:15 pm »

I am actually considering shipping my bike to Denver in  two years so I can get in some quality riding in the area of the meet then ride it home.  
greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2011, 10:49:43 pm »

Make it 3 votes for Sonora Beerchug

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 12:58:09 am »

For those who doubt Sonora we'll test drive it at WCRM next years meet.  Smile
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 06:14:30 am »

For those who doubt Sonora we'll test drive it at WCRM next years meet.  Smile

Just remember that LEO presence is also a factor.

Many places we pick aren't looking to bust a bunch of tourists enjoying the roads.

Only CA would be backwards enough to impose a statewide 55 mph speed limit considering the size of their state.  Razz

Reddog*

Reputation 81

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Capo
GPS: MI
Miles Typed: 340

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 10:36:34 am »

And along with that the cost of lodging and food. Crazy
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:38 am »

Many places we pick aren't looking to bust a bunch of tourists enjoying the roads.

Only CA would be backwards enough to impose a statewide 55 mph speed limit considering the size of their state.  Razz

My guess is you've never actually been here.    Headscratch

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 11:43:53 am »

That's my guess, too Shrug

Member since 2003
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 06:29:52 pm »

They've changed it lately?

Last time it seemed every road in the middle of nowhere had a 55 limit on it.

stew71

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1514

My Photo Gallery

Words simply cannot express how much I don't care.

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »

They've changed it lately?

Last time it seemed every road in the middle of nowhere had a 55 limit on it.

Nahhh...we have some 70's now....

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/70mph.htm

A hamster wheel looks like a career ladder from the inside.
The police never think it's as funny as you do.
Andrew

Reputation 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 07:20:40 pm »

And this is from a guy who lives in Virginia   rofl

THoes who live in glass houses should not throw stones

Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 07:41:20 pm »

Seriously. In my trips through the BibleBeltWay, I was under the impression that speeding was a capital offense, what with the detector laws and all.
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 08:48:12 pm »

And this is from a guy who lives in Virginia   rofl

THoes who live in glass houses should not throw stones

IIRC, I was not suggesting Virginia as a meet location.  Razz

Andrew

Reputation 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2011, 11:34:40 pm »

IIRC, I was not suggesting Virginia as a meet location.  Razz

And I was not saying there is anything wrong with virginia, as you were not insulting California  

bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 12:29:52 am »

Bigok  Sonora  Thumbsup  ... Big hill road  Inlove  108 and 88.  Bigok
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2011, 01:07:32 am »

And I was not saying there is anything wrong with virginia, as you were not insulting California  

I read virginia as "virgins"   Lol
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2011, 05:53:37 am »

I read virginia as "virgins"   Lol

So, how do you read "virgins?"  Headscratch Lol

Noteworthy trivia....Virginia was named in honor of Queen Victoria...who was a virgin.

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2011, 09:13:45 am »

couch

Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol

birdrunner

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2011, 10:08:10 am »

Noteworthy trivia....Virginia was named in honor of Queen Victoria...who was a virgin.

well she wasn't really ugly, and could execute anyone who displeased her, so who know if she really was,  I doubt anyone would talk.

Oxblood

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1089

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2011, 12:45:47 pm »

Sonora sounds good to me. The topo looks amazing from the map I found. When is the WCRM next time round? Might have to run down to Sonora for it.
Andrew

Reputation 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2011, 08:38:26 pm »

Sonora sounds good to me. The topo looks amazing from the map I found. When is the WCRM next time round? Might have to run down to Sonora for it.

The 2012 WCRM will be held in Sonora CA (as voted on by all 2011 WCRM attendees) Just need to pick a hotel/place to hang our hats at.

Oxblood

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2011, 03:09:31 pm »

Um, I doubt it was named for Queen Victoria. The Colony of Virginia was founded by The London Company in 1607. over 200 years before Victoria was born. And unless you really believe in miraculous conception, the fact that Victoria and her husband, Albert, the Prince Consort had several children would kind of rule out Victoria being a virgin.
Oxblood

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2011, 03:11:31 pm »

The 2012 WCRM will be held in Sonora CA (as voted on by all 2011 WCRM attendees) Just need to pick a hotel/place to hang our hats at.

I gathered it would be Sonora. But that does not address WHEN. I remember the discussion in Custer between you and Mr. Sunshine about when to hold it as well as where. Is there a concrete set of dates yet?
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »

Um, I doubt it was named for Queen Victoria. The Colony of Virginia was founded by The London Company in 1607. over 200 years before Victoria was born. And unless you really believe in miraculous conception, the fact that Victoria and her husband, Albert, the Prince Consort had several children would kind of rule out Victoria being a virgin.

You are correct.  It was Elizabeth I that I was thinking of.  

Andrew

Reputation 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2011, 01:35:19 am »

I gathered it would be Sonora. But that does not address WHEN. I remember the discussion in Custer between you and Mr. Sunshine about when to hold it as well as where. Is there a concrete set of dates yet?

No the date for the 2012 WCRM is not set in stone YET. Tentatively the week after the National.

More details will follow ........

miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2011, 02:02:59 am »

No the date for the 2012 WCRM is not set in stone YET. Tentatively the week after the National.

When it's nice and HOTT.

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2011, 02:32:04 am »

The weekend following is the 23rd/24th of June.
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2011, 02:33:22 am »

Oxblood

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2011, 03:30:15 am »

Thanks. I think next year I will do WCRM. Sonora looks like a fun area to ride in.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2011, 09:08:09 am »

The weekend following is the 23rd/24th of June.

And what do you have going on the weekend of the 23rd/24th?   Headscratch

Member since 2003
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2011, 11:46:48 am »

And what do you have going on the weekend of the 23rd/24th?   Headscratch
Andrew wasn't sure what the weekend following the national was so I was saying when that is.
Andrew

Reputation 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2011, 02:15:55 pm »

Andrew wasn't sure what the weekend following the national was so I was saying when that is.

More like the date is not set (the week after the national could be a possibility)
The week after the national should have little snow left in the hills, maybe even HOT.
Truth be told I love riding the area around Fortuna, but lets face it A good New York Steak is mighty fine but would not like to eat one Every Day.
Change is good, and Maybe Rob & Gill will actually get to ride somewhere besides their backyards Bigok

beatnikmike
Same old Leftwinger

Reputation 11

GPS: Oregon 400 steps from the Willamette River
Miles Typed: 239

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2011, 03:09:25 pm »

I agree with Mr. Sunshine and others the Western National should be in the "West"  not the Mid West (Colorado). Like Mr. Sunshine said: "The idea of the rotation was to put a national close to people so they would go. Not having one near the west coast is not fair to the west coasters."

The Eastern National is generally within a few hundred miles of the Atlantic Coast is this not correct? It seems only fair that the Western National should be within the same parameters. Not a thousand miles from the Pacific coast (Montrose, CO.)  Would you have the next East Coast National in (St. Louis, MO.) which is more or less than a thousand miles from the Atlantic coast, "sure it's a distance from the East Coast, but it's a fun ride."!   Bigok

Other than that two cents.......  I have more... when planning a National or a Regional  one of the top concerns should be camping. The location should  include a nearby  campground, for those of us who like to camp and I like to camp.  

On the  subject of Sonora, Ca. it's a  great area with some great roads, to far south, but it's OK. (I would prefer Oregon)  I went through their last March going from Grass Valley to Oakhurst on Hwy. 49 which at times is one amazingly  hillacious steep and twisty road, it really gave me a workout.  I like the nearby town of Angels Camp and New Melones Lake has some nice campgrounds. Any meet in the area should be after all the mountain passes have opened.... just say'in.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2011, 03:27:22 pm »

The Eastern National is generally within a few hundred miles of the Atlantic Coast is this not correct?  

The Eastern Seaboard is about 1,800 miles long. The West Coast is about 1,200. Just because you're near the Atlantic does not mean that you're near the National (just pointing out that some east coasters are not near a National no matter how close it is to the ocean)

Other than that two cents.......  I have more... when planning a National or a Regional  one of the top concerns should be camping. The location should  include a nearby  campground, for those of us who like to camp and I like to camp.  

I always made it a point to plan a National with camping nearby. I don't recall if I succeeded with Montrose, but I feel that the others were adequate. Or at least no one complained loud enough for me to hear Shrug

On the  subject of Sonora, Ca. it's a  great area with some great roads, to far south, but it's OK. (I would prefer Oregon)  

Headscratch
Why Oregon? Is it because you don't want to travel too far from home or because the roads are great?

Member since 2003
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2011, 06:03:26 pm »

I thought that was for your WCRM announcement.

But yeah I guess those locations for a national could work.  Just wish Nevada had something. Smile

Shit, you and me both.

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2011, 06:09:40 pm »

Some folks did that in 2004, if memory serves.

I would fully support a Utah meet, by the way.

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2011, 06:55:59 am »

My Suggestion is to work in a 5th location into the rotation, possibly the next year Custer rolls around, Or Colorado then go from there ,  Ie if it was Custer  used to make a spot
1) New west Coast meet
2) Arkansas
3) Colorado or Utah meet
4)Eastern Meet
5) Custer meet

Or If Colorado's spot was used
 IE
1) New Western Meet
2) Eastern Meet
3) Custer
4) Arkansas
5)Colorado
Or move the rotation around
 Shrug
Just a suggestion  couch

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:07:25 am by maddjack » Logged

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2011, 02:37:05 pm »

The rotation was established to give the most number of people the most opportunity to attend, and it's worked for a while.  But if attendance is dropping, why not throw it out for a free-for-all for 2012?  Let the majority pick the location, try to make it the biggest one ever (coz the world's gonna end anyway).  If that whole process ends up sucking, we can go back to the rotation in 2013 and maybe add the 2012 location (if it was a new one and well-loved) to the stable as a replacement or a fifth destination.

sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2011, 03:04:21 pm »

The rotation was established to give the most number of people the most opportunity to attend, and it's worked for a while.  But if attendance is dropping, why not throw it out for a free-for-all for 2012?  Let the majority pick the location, try to make it the biggest one ever (coz the world's gonna end anyway).  If that whole process ends up sucking, we can go back to the rotation in 2013 and maybe add the 2012 location (if it was a new one and well-loved) to the stable as a replacement or a fifth destination.

Won't work   Too logical.

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
Cvergi01

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 1995 Suzuki RF900, 1982 Yamaha Maxim
GPS: Snohomish, wa
Miles Typed: 715

My Photo Gallery

I Give

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2011, 05:30:53 pm »

How about Snohomish, WA!  

sorry, I'm just posting to subscribe to the thread

waiting for stickers...
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2011, 05:40:26 pm »

Stillaguamish ?  Unless someone sold the still ??  Headscratch
Cvergi01

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 1995 Suzuki RF900, 1982 Yamaha Maxim
GPS: Snohomish, wa
Miles Typed: 715

My Photo Gallery

I Give

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2011, 12:06:27 am »

Bozeman, MT?  Ride into yellowstone?  I imagine somebody has thought of this and there is a good reason why not, but seeing as how i only have 3 states on my map, I don't know it.

waiting for stickers...
Croak

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2011, 02:17:25 am »

Nobody rides into Yellowstone for the ride.  Smile
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2011, 03:35:29 am »

Nobody rides into Yellowstone for the ride.  Smile

Yep, that is painful. Pretty in a few places .. but painful on a bike.  Over rated MC ride in my opinion.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2011, 04:00:59 am »

maybe there's a hotel on Utah Highway 12 in the middle of nowhere.

Being in the middle of nowhere would give the event an aura similar to the one felt by the characters in Close Encounters of a third Kind who were drawn to the mashed potato mountain in South Dakota  Bigsmile

stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2011, 09:42:40 am »

Boulder View Inn in Torrey, at the top of the wonderful Hwy 12. 24 to the east is great as well.  Actually, the Boulder only has 11 rooms, but there are many other hotels in town.

http://boulderviewinn.com/site/Home.html

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Guy

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2011, 09:52:55 am »

Lochsa Lodge near Lolo Pass? Camping, cabins and a lodge. Good food, beautiful location.

http://www.lochsalodge.com/
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2011, 04:19:57 pm »

View from the Boulder Viewl in Torrey; Capitol Reef Inn and Cafe (neat old place with great eats, it was on Roadfood) is just down the street.

Hwy. 12 from Hwy. 12

JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

GPS: Fort Collins, CO
Miles Typed: 2486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »

Those pix could be Highway 141 in western Colorado   Drool
st2sam

Reputation 133

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2014 Honda Valkyrie and 1993 Ducati 907ie
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying Hippo.
Miles Typed: 1671

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2011, 05:21:39 pm »

Boulder View Inn in Torrey, at the top of the wonderful Hwy 12. 24 to the east is great as well. Actually, the Boulder only has 11 rooms, but there are many other hotels in town.

http://boulderviewinn.com/site/Home.html

DING DING DING,,, ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!!! Thumbsup

I went to the first National in Custer, once was enough.
I kinda like BJ's & Dred's idea, (seems like) "go BIG or don't go"!!!  Bigok

Change is good, but only for a while..
Honda makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
birdrunner

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2011, 01:10:23 am »

DING DING DING,,, ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!!! Thumbsup

I went to the first National in Custer, once was enough.
I kinda like BJ's & Dred's idea, (seems like) "go BIG or don't go"!!!  Bigok

Utah 12 may be my firstest bestest ride ever.

And chances are, It'll be HOT.

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2011, 07:20:58 am »

Utah would be fine by me, I can hit some tasty stuff on the way out there. We would have to hear the crying from certain people about having to cross some flatland from the west coast to get there  Rolleyes( like nobody from the east has to cross flatlands  Lol Lol) Great location BTW

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2011, 01:27:27 pm »

Utah would be fine by me, I can hit some tasty stuff on the way out there. We would have to hear the crying from certain people about having to cross some flatland from the west coast to get there  Rolleyes( like nobody from the east has to cross flatlands  Lol Lol) Great location BTW

Yeah, fer reals.  When I lived in IL, I couldn't go ANYWHERE without crossing Flatlands.

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2011, 11:24:59 pm »

Yep, that is painful. Pretty in a few places .. but painful on a bike.  Over rated MC ride in my opinion.

+1  and dangerous due to wildlife.
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2011, 11:34:19 pm »

View from the Boulder Viewl in Torrey; Capitol Reef Inn and Cafe (neat old place with great eats, it was on Roadfood) is just down the street.

Hwy. 12 from Hwy. 12

Win !
Oxblood

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2011, 12:33:51 pm »

Man, that looks awesome! It's been years since I was in Utah, and that time was for mountain biking and not motorcycling.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal