Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Custer National Next Time  (Read 25159 times)

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7538

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:21:51 am »

Just a thought. Could the 2015 National that would be at Custer be somewhere else like Lewiston or northern California?

The thought is that perhaps moving it will get those who have gone to go again.

This year we had 18 for dinner. The last time it was at Custer there were over 60.  Something needs to be changed up to attract more people the next time it comes due.

The other thing is the Custer location and the Colorado location are only a day apart from each other. Shouldn't it be more spread out?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:29:08 am »

I know a great place in Fortuna CA Bigsmile

OK in all seriousness, maybe in Sonora Or Reno

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:39:03 am »

I thought that was for your WCRM announcement.

But yeah I guess those locations for a national could work.  Just wish Nevada had something. Smile
Advertisement

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 12:48:22 am »

Just a thought. Could the 2015 National that would be at Custer be somewhere else like Lewiston or northern California?

I can't see a Nor Cal location benefiting east coast or Midwest ST.Ners  Headscratch

miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 01:02:10 am »

I can't see a Nor Cal location benefiting east coast or Midwest ST.Ners  Headscratch

Yeah, but the western National location being a thousand miles away from the left coast is a bit ridiculous, too...

Three points where two lines meet
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:27:27 am »

pshaw...westerners drive 50 miles for a quart of milk  Bigsmile

miles

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 01:44:33 am »

Heck- the West Coast Regional meet is in my state, and it's a thousand miles of riding just to get there, so maybe you're right.

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 06:48:21 am »

The mid-week scheduling of the National (to give people time to get there) means taking vacation and making a week of it (9 days with the weekends). Not everyone is willing to devote a week of vacation to STN when there are other interests (family stuff, etc) vying for the same time.

If I'm taking vacation, I don't want to piss away valuable vacation days (since I don't get many) riding across the plains from PA for a couple days of fun on the other side. Four days of sucky riding (there and back) for a couple days of National seems like a bad value proposition to me. So short of an extended trip to make good use of getting across the plains, you probably won't ever see me very far west of the Mississippi river. Well, I did make it to Eureka Springs (only a half day of sucky riding) and will do that National again for sure. But burning those 5 vacation days in one block means that I can't use them to make long weekends, so doing one big trip actually reduces my total moto trip days for the season.

Personally, I prefer the regional meets. The long weekend format fits into most people's schedules better but it limits where you can draw from. I like the way ESTN moves around. Yes, it makes planning more of an exercise in cat-herding and consensus building, but it doesn't get stale. There are so many great places to ride and things see within a 500 mile radius of Pittsburgh, that I don't think I'll get bored any time soon. Variety is good, even if it takes more work.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:42:20 am by garry » Logged

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
the frenchman

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:20:45 am »

+1 Garry. Having ridden across the middle of this great country and somehow living through the experience I can say with certainty it's not something I'll ever choose to do again.
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 11:19:29 am »

I thought WCRM was the western national.... just sayin Wink

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
miles

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 12:31:55 pm »

+1 Garry. Having ridden across the middle of this great country and somehow living through the experience I can say with certainty it's not something I'll ever choose to do again.

and I guess that's my issue with the National locations. Of the four rotating locales, all but three require that Midwest grind for us here on the west coast. Even Colorado involves crossing Nevada, which is its own version of suck.
When Attpical1, DagoR6 and I took a week to get to Eureka Springs, we rode almost 6000 miles in seven days to do it. That was including a direct slab beeline home, part of which was a 1000+ miles stretch of I-40. Looking a a GPS that says "next turn 1,148 miles" gets a bit depressing.  

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 04:16:53 pm »

and I guess that's my issue with the National locations. Of the four rotating locales, all but three require that Midwest grind for us here on the west coast.  

There is no solution, so you guys can just quit now. Not that you will  Embarassment  The reasoning behind the rotating Nationals was so that those who did have the time/inclination to make a National could do so. Those who can't/won't, can make whatever National is in their back yard when the rotation comes.

Montrose (Colorado) - sure, a distance from the West Coast, but it's a fun ride.
Custer (north central US) - see Colorado
Eureka - haven't been there myself, but it seems to be reachable by the southern states by most
WV (or there abouts) - Also do-able for those on the east coast, but like the western meets, it mean committing time.

There don't have to be any Nationals. Regions seem to be pretty good at putting their Regional Meets together and its not like other region members are excluded Shrug   It's been eight years since the first one - maybe the novelty is over?  :popcorn:

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 10:49:58 pm »

There is always the Colorado National.
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 10:53:08 pm »

There is no solution, so you guys can just quit now. Not that you will  Embarassment  The reasoning behind the rotating Nationals was so that those who did have the time/inclination to make a National could do so. Those who can't/won't, can make whatever National is in their back yard when the rotation comes.

Montrose (Colorado) - sure, a distance from the West Coast, but it's a fun ride.
Custer (north central US) - see Colorado
Eureka - haven't been there myself, but it seems to be reachable by the southern states by most
WV (or there abouts) - Also do-able for those on the east coast, but like the western meets, it mean committing time.

There don't have to be any Nationals. Regions seem to be pretty good at putting their Regional Meets together and its not like other region members are excluded Shrug   It's been eight years since the first one - maybe the novelty is over?  :popcorn:

There is no National for the West Coast people that is in their backyard.  3 WESTERN states over is NOT in somoene's back yard.  So we should make one of the two in our backyards.  Custer or Montrose, choose.

Custer and Montrose are only a days away from each other.  The other meets are more than a days away from each other.

Figure out how to make it so Custer has more than 18 people next time and I'll listen.

While I had fun and it was nice to meet the people who came, it was smaller than the last WCRM I went too...and it mostly had Canadian's from the PNW there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:31:07 pm by Mr Sunshine » Logged
Raptormn

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 05 FJR1300, 02 R1, 07 R6
GPS: Afghanistan
Miles Typed: 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 12:56:39 am »

why not rotate colorado with a spot in Utah? a little closer to the west coast and cool riding in that area. imo from a new guy.
zer0netgain

Reputation 34

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6472

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 06:12:36 am »

Locations are tricky.

I find it odd that Colorado and South Dakota are choices given how close they are to each other.  However, what are the alternatives?

Oregon would be a very good "west" location.  Not great for those in the southern side of the country, but California's Nazi-like police enforcement make Oregon a better choice, IMHO.

SD has more than ND.  Maybe Montana, but you're going to be limited to the MT/ID border region for the good roads, and even then I'm not sure how much variety or short loops you can plan in a day.

Colorado remains a good choice for a "central" US location, but it does compete a little with the Ozarks/Oklahoma area.

WV isn't the only "east" option available.  You do have NC/VA/SC as well, but if you are from Maine or Florida, nothing is going to be close to you.

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 08:40:46 am »

The east location has moved a bit, and it in truth should as  limiting it is wasting a lot of good options, Colorado has also moved a bit , not far (from Montrose to Gunnison) but maybe Utah should be looked at. IMHO if you want a western meet a 5th location might need to be added to the rotation. And to you western people crying about flatland rides to SD and Colorado, try it from the east, you'll find out what suck is. To SD from PA  Western Ohio, IND, ILL Iowa, Nebraska or the W. Ohio, Michigan,Wisconsin,Eastern SD flatlands.
Then to Colorado, Yeah you can run WAAAAY south( not realistic on a working person's vacation limits) or, Again Western Ohio, Ind, ILL, Missouri( midsection FLAT) Kansas .So crossing oneor two flat western state's would be a blessing to US here in the east
Look folks ,unless the meets were all in the Appalachian Mts or on the west coast you will have to cross flatlands to get to a mid USA meet.

Regional meets are great I go to them,and if you don't want to committ the time or a flatland ride to a national its a great alternative, but don't poo poo the National because you don't want to go across the flats or time or whatever. go to the regional and leave it be.. BUT I still enjoy the nationals, whomever shows , shows, and in truth would moving them bring more people? I feel the economy has far more to do with the low turn out more than anything else, it was a financial strain for me to get there , but I was able to swing it, and a different location isn't going to make a difference to my pocketbook or to my ability to get there or not.

In truth  I wouldn't mind a west coast National, but very few Eastern people would be able to make it, and that kind of defeats the whole idea doesn't it?? It would be the same as a National in Lake Placid or Vermont.Ponder upon that for a while, the idea (originally) was centralized meets in decent riding locations.

And please don't take my response Personal , it isn't intended as such , just my ramblings to a screen about the whole thing, no offense intended.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:09:42 am by maddjack » Logged

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4865

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 09:44:28 am »

The thought is that perhaps moving it will get those who have gone to go again.

This year we had 18 for dinner. The last time it was at Custer there were over 60.  Something needs to be changed up to attract more people the next time it comes due.

The other thing is the Custer location and the Colorado location are only a day apart from each other. Shouldn't it be more spread out?

Although I really LOVE going to Custer, the reality is, except for one day, I ride the same route there.  

It seems BOTH "Western" meets are in reality more of a "Central" meet.
In addition,  almost everyone who rides to Custer from the east, continues to either Glacier or Colorado either before or after the meet anyways.

Sadly, I must concur with Sunshine.   Embarassment

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4865

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 09:51:03 am »

why not rotate colorado with a spot in Utah? a little closer to the west coast and cool riding in that area. imo from a new guy.

Utah was my first choice,  that or Southern Idaho  (Sun Valley anyone ??)  

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 12:52:40 pm »

Personally I don't think the economy is why only 18 people showed up. Location being the same was.

As to a more western meet causing no east coasters to come I have to ask, how many west coasters go to the Eastern met in WV?

The idea of the rotation was to put a national close to people so they would go. Not having one near the west coast is not fair to the west coasters.

I feel like someone is getting their butt hurt with my suggestion on how to increase the number of people and are not willing to flex.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal